
Theater: MotoNovel | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
The night before Valentine’s Day, I found a velvet jewelry box tucked into the inner pocket of Ethan’s winter coat.
Engraved along the inner band of the silver ring were two words: "Lila. Forever."
Beside the box was a folded slip of paper, yellowed at the creases, bearing a vow in his unmistakable handwriting: "Ethan will marry no one but Lila."
I stood in our walk-in closet, staring at the cursive ink, and wondered what I had been to him for the past three years. A placeholder? A comfortable compromise?
When I turned around, Ethan was leaning against the bedroom doorframe, his expression completely detached.
"Leah, who said you could go through my coat?"
I held up the ring—it was visibly too small for my finger—and asked in a calm, flat voice, "Who was this for?"
Ethan gave an indifferent shrug. "If you want it, take it."
I looked him dead in the eye and dropped the box straight into the trash can beside the dresser.
I don't keep jewelry meant for other women. And I certainly didn't want a man who was still mourning someone else.
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
The night before Valentine’s Day, I found a velvet jewelry box tucked into the inner pocket of Ethan’s winter coat.
Engraved along the inner band of the silver ring were two words: "Lila. Forever."
Beside the box was a folded slip of paper, yellowed at the creases, bearing a vow in his unmistakable handwriting: "Ethan will marry no one but Lila."
I stood in our walk-in closet, staring at the cursive ink, and wondered what I had been to him for the past three years. A placeholder? A comfortable compromise?
When I turned around, Ethan was leaning against the bedroom doorframe, his expression completely detached.
"Leah, who said you could go through my coat?"
I held up the ring—it was visibly too small for my finger—and asked in a calm, flat voice, "Who was this for?"
Ethan gave an indifferent shrug. "If you want it, take it."
I looked him dead in the eye and dropped the box straight into the trash can beside the dresser.
I don't keep jewelry meant for other women. And I certainly didn't want a man who was still mourning someone else.
…
"Happy now?" Ethan muttered. He sat on the sofa, scrolling through his phone without looking up. "Drop the attitude, Leah. Don't make a scene over nothing."
I didn't answer.
He glanced up, his gaze sweeping over me with mild irritation. "Whatever you want for Valentine’s tomorrow, just go buy it. Put it on my card. If there’s something on your mind, say it. Don't sit there giving me the cold shoulder."
Three years together, and he had never once bothered to ask what I actually liked.
I remembered catching the flu last week, shivering under the duvet, texting him that my chest ached and I couldn't get out of bed.
He had replied: "Ordered you an Uber. Head downstairs. License plate ending in 402."
It wasn't until later that I saw Lila’s Instagram story from that same afternoon—a picture of a tea mug with the caption: "Stomachache from hell." Ethan had driven forty-five minutes across town in rush-hour traffic just to hand-deliver antacids to her door.
On my birthday, he told me he was stuck at the office with a critical project rollout. Later that night, Lila posted a bouquet of pale pink peonies: "Mentioned I liked these, and look who showed up at my doorstep."
Out of ten promises he made me, keeping two was considered a good run.
"No need," I said quietly. "Ethan, we’re done. Let’s break up."
He set his phone down on the glass coffee table, his brow furrowing. "What is your problem now?"
"The ring in your overcoat—"
"That’s an old relic from years ago. I forgot to throw it out."
"You forgot for three years?"
He paused, his voice sharpening with impatience. "Leah, what do you actually want from me? It’s not like I’ve never bought you jewelry. What’s that sitting on your left hand right now?"
I looked down at the ring on my ring finger.
He had given it to me last New Year's. It was expensive, clear-cut, and blindingly bright. But the inside of the band was smooth and hollow. Blank. Nothing etched into the metal.
Meanwhile, that battered old ring in his coat had another woman's name permanently carved into its core.
"And the note?" I asked. "'"Ethan will marry no one but Lila"'—what was that?"
For the first time, a hairline fracture appeared in his composure. "Something stupid I wrote when I was young. It doesn't mean anything anymore."
"Then why keep it?"
He was silent for a beat. Then he stood up, walked over to the trash can, bent down, and fished the velvet box out of the bin. He tossed it onto the coffee table.
"If it bothers you that much, keep it. Do whatever you want with it. Rip it up, burn it. Just stop picking fights over ancient history, all right?"
I didn't move. I didn't nod.
"Ethan, if Lila came back tomorrow and asked you to be with her, would you go?"
He looked at me, his jaw tightening. "Her coming back has nothing to do with me."
"You didn't answer my question."
"Leah, can you stop inventing hypothetical scenarios that don't exist?"
"You carried her ring and your vow to marry her in your chest pocket, and you’re telling me this doesn't exist?"
He pinched the bridge of his nose, the sheer exhaustion in his demeanor far outweighing any patience. "Then tell me what you want me to do. Give me a solution, and I’ll do it."
I parted my lips, ready to speak, but the words withered on my tongue. Looking at him standing there—looking so terribly put-upon—a wave of deep, bone-weary exhaustion washed over me.
I turned around, went into the guest bedroom, and locked the door behind me. I slid down against the wood until I was sitting on the floor.
Outside, someone in the neighborhood was setting off fireworks. The muffled pops sounded distant and hollow.
I pulled out my phone and searched Lila’s public profile.
Her latest post was a photograph taken through an airplane window, the city skyline glowing beneath the wings: "Back in the city after so long. Feels good to be home."
In the comments section, a freshly registered burner account had left a single reply: "What time do you land?"
The comment had already been deleted, but not before I caught it. The profile picture was the exact same default graphic Ethan used for his secondary gaming account.
"Has nothing to do with me." That was what he had called it.
The next morning, I woke up and got ready for work as usual.
Ethan had left earlier than me. He had paused in the entryway by the shoe rack, looking as if he wanted to say something, but in the end, the front door just clicked shut.
On the dining table was a paper bag from a local café—breakfast he had ordered for me, though he hadn't touched any himself.
I sat down, finished the oatmeal, got dressed, and left.
At the office, my coworkers were buzzing about their Valentine’s plans. One of them turned to me with a bright smile. "Leah, what kind of surprise does Ethan have planned for you tonight?"
I offered a faint smile. "Not sure. Probably nothing."
"Come on, Ethan spoils you rotten. He’s going to do something big."
I smiled and let the conversation drift away.
Ethan "was" good to me, on paper. He wired money on holidays, gave me designer bags on my birthdays, and made sure to hold my hand in front of his friends. But he couldn't remember the foods I was allergic to. He couldn't remember the indie film I had been talking about seeing for three weeks.
His affection was procedural. It was the way someone operates heavy machinery—following the manual step by step, pressing button A to receive reaction B. He didn't care to know how the machine worked on the inside, as long as it kept running quietly without causing him trouble.
At noon, a text arrived from Ethan: "Dinner tonight. I made a reservation at that omakase place you said you wanted to try."
I stared at the screen for a long time. I had never once asked to go to an omakase place. I didn't even eat raw fish.
When my shift ended, his black sedan was idling by the curb outside my office building. The window rolled down as I approached. I opened the passenger door and slid in.
A subtle, floral perfume hung in the car air—powdery and sweet. It wasn't mine.
I didn't ask.
At the restaurant, the table filled with delicate plates of sashimi and raw oysters.
Flipping through the menu, Ethan asked, "Didn't you say you loved salmon?"
"I don't eat raw food, Ethan."
His hand paused mid-turn. "Want me to ask them to sear it?"
"Don't bother. This is fine."
He looked at me, a brief shadow passing over his eyes, but said nothing more.
Halfway through dinner, his phone rang. He checked the screen, answered with a few clipped words, and hung up within ten seconds.
I didn't ask who it was.
In the past, I would have. And he would always say, "Work." Until the evening I caught a glimpse of that same number flashing across his screen, saved under a single contact name: "Lila."
After that, I stopped asking.
Near the end of the meal, Ethan laid his chopsticks down across his ceramic rest. "Leah. About yesterday. I took care of it."
"How?"
"I threw the ring away. And I burned the note."
"You tossed it into the coffee table drawer, Ethan."
He hesitated. "I threw it in the outside dumpster this morning."
"Is that so?"
"You don't believe me?"
I didn't answer.
Silence stretched between us before he let out a measured breath. "Lila and I... that’s completely in the past. She’s just an old friend from school. We check in occasionally. That’s all."
"How often is 'occasionally'?"
His mouth opened, then closed.
"Ethan, in three years, you’ve never once asked what my favorite meal is, what colors I like to wear, or what flowers make me happy," I said, my voice barely above a murmur. "Yet every time Lila posts something, your like is on it within minutes. You know every single thing she loves. You tell me you two only talk occasionally. So tell me—do you know what I like to eat?"
The silence that followed was suffocating.
Finally, he offered, "...You like things mild, right? Light flavors."
I let out a soft, dry laugh.
"I love spicy food, Ethan."
He went completely quiet.
We didn't exchange another word for the rest of the night.
When he pulled up to our apartment complex, he cut the engine and reached out to touch my hand. I pulled my fingers back, tucking them into my coat pockets.
"Leah—"
"I’m exhausted. I’m going up to sleep."
I pushed the door open and walked into the lobby without looking back.
Over the next few days, an eerie, fragile peace settled between us. He didn't bring up that night, and neither did I. We ate at the same table, left the apartment at the same time, and slept on opposite sides of the king mattress.
We simply stopped talking.
It was so quiet that whenever he casually said, "Long day at work," it took me several seconds to realize he was addressing me.
On Wednesday night, I stayed late at the office to finish a quarterly audit. By the time I unlocked the front door, it was past ten.
The living room light was on. Ethan was sitting on the sofa with his laptop balanced on his knees.
He glanced up. "You’re back?"
"Yeah."
"There’s soup on the stove. It’s still warm."
"Thanks."
I went into the kitchen, ladled a bowl of broth, and sat at the island counter.
Ethan walked over and leaned against the doorway, watching me. "Leah, there’s an industry gala this weekend. Come with me."
"Okay."
"It’s black-tie."
"I know."
"I had my assistant order a gown for you. It should be delivered tomorrow."
"All right."
He lingered, his lips parting slightly as if searching for something to say, but no sound came out.
I kept my head lowered, sipping the soup, never meeting his eyes. Eventually, he turned and walked back to the living room. The rhythmic tapping of his keyboard filled the silence.
I sat alone at the island, looking at the tiny orange goji berries floating on the surface of the broth.
I thought about our first year together. He used to leave soup for me back then, too. He used to stand in the kitchen doorway and watch me drink it, and in those days, his eyes carried a faint warmth.
Over time, that warmth had degraded into habit, and habit had hardened into routine maintenance. He didn't leave soup because he loved me; he left it because doing so ensured the domestic gears kept turning smoothly.
The night of the gala, I wore the gown he had ordered. It was champagne silk, floor-length, tailored to perfection.
Except I had never once bought a champagne-colored dress in my life.
He didn't know that my closet was almost entirely blue.
The ballroom was bathed in chandeliers and champagne flutes. Ethan held his glass, working the room with effortless charm, while I stood beside him, nodding and smiling on cue.
Near the halfway mark, his phone buzzed in his breast pocket.
He slipped it out and looked down. A notification flashed on the glass.
I caught the contact name: "Lila."
He typed a two-word reply and slid the phone back into his suit.
"Who was that?" I asked.
"A colleague."
"It was Lila, wasn't it?"
He paused, not bothering to deny it. "She’s at an event a few blocks over. She asked if I could give her a ride home on the way."
"Go ahead, then."
"Leah—"
"You told me you two only talk occasionally. Occasionally enough that she coordinates her location with your schedule?"
He said nothing, a slight frown tugging at the corners of his mouth.
"Go," I told him evenly. "I’ll take an Uber."
I turned on my heel and walked toward the exit. Behind me, he called my name once.
I didn't look back.
When I got home, I took off the champagne gown, folded it into neat squares, and placed it on the highest, most inaccessible shelf in the closet.
I sat at the vanity, pulled the diamond ring off my left ring finger, and laid it on the marble surface.
I had worn it for three years. The skin beneath it was pale and slightly indented. I traced that faint groove with my thumb for a few moments, feeling the ghost of its weight.
Then I stood up, walked into the study, and booted up my laptop.
I pulled up an email draft containing an application for an overseas assignment—a three-year project based out of a Scandinavian coastal office. I had filled it out eight months ago, then hesitated, leaving it saved in drafts out of some foolish lingering hope.
I updated the date and hit "Send".
The next morning, when Ethan returned to the apartment, I was already at my desk at work.
He sent a text: "Dropped her off and came straight back last night. You weren't home."
I didn't reply.
A minute later, another message arrived: "Leah, can you please stop acting like this? It was on the way. I couldn't just leave her to walk alone in the dark."
I still didn't reply.
When my phone screen lit up with his incoming call, I pressed decline.
Then came a third text: "When are you coming home? We need to talk."
I typed a single response: "Later."
That afternoon, HR confirmed my transfer. The assignment was based in a quiet port town in Northern Europe, effective for three years, with a departure flight scheduled for the following week.
I didn't tell Ethan.
Over the days that followed, he became noticeably more attentive. He started asking what I wanted for dinner before I left the office. He texted "I’ll pick you up" when five o'clock rolled around. Whenever I walked through the door, he would look up from the sofa, watching me carefully.
I responded to every gesture with immaculate, polite courtesy—the exact tone one reserves for an acquaintance from another department.
He didn't sense that anything was fundamentally broken. Or perhaps he noticed, but assumed I was merely throwing a prolonged tantrum that would blow over in due time.
He had no idea that every single day, while he was at work, I was purging my life from that apartment.
Piece by piece, I sorted through my clothes. The items I no longer wore were boxed up for donation; the essentials were packed into my rolling suitcase. I picked two books from the shelves and gave the rest away. I packed my daily skincare into a travel pouch and left the half-empty bottles behind.
When I took down our framed photograph from the hallway console, my fingers hesitated.
It was taken on his birthday last year. He was looking down, cutting the cake, while I leaned into the frame, smiling with everything I had. In the photo, his lips were barely curved into a polite half-smile.
I stared at the picture for three seconds. Then I turned it facedown, slid it into a blank white envelope, and laid it in a drawer.
I didn't tear it up.
I didn't even have the energy left for rage.
The day I left was a Tuesday. When Ethan walked out the door for his morning meetings, I was still under the blankets, eyes wide open.
My packed suitcase was standing by the entryway. I sat on the edge of the mattress, waiting until the heavy thud of the front door echoed through the hallway. Only then did I stand up.
I took one last look at the place where I had spent three years of my life.
The balcony plants had been given away to the neighbors. The refrigerator was scrubbed bare. The kitchen counters were wiped clean, devoid of a single stray mug.
I stood by the threshold for a few seconds, then pulled the door open, grabbed the handle of my luggage, and walked out into the crisp morning air.
In the elevator, my phone vibrated in my coat pocket.
It was a text from Ethan: "What time are you off today? Let me grab you. Dinner’s on me."
I stared at the glowing letters for a brief moment, then held down the power button and shut the phone off.
As the plane lifted off the tarmac, I leaned my forehead against the cold oval window.
Beneath the wing, the lights of the city dissolved into a blur of amber and silver, shrinking into the cloud cover until there was nothing left to see.
Goodbye, Ethan.
- Search this code in the MotoNovel app:
578897 Open MotoNovel → Search code → Find the title