ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

My Hired Security Guard Slapped Me In Front Of Guests

MotoNovel · English · Theater: MotoNovel, Lang: English ·

My Hired Security Guard Slapped Me In Front Of Guests

Theater: MotoNovel  |  Language: English  |  NEW

Synopsis

I paid my private security three hundred grand a year, and he just slapped me across the face in front of twenty people.
After he struck me, he looked right at my wife.
Valerie was holding a glass of red wine. she smiled at her so-called guy best friend. "Are you less angry now?"
Her best friend adjusted his platinum cufflinks and gave a satisfied nod.
I did not feel the pain in that moment.
All I felt was the crushing realization that in this marriage, I was treated worse than a stray dog.
I clenched my fists. I decided right then and there that starting today, I was taking back every single thing I had ever given her. Piece by piece.

Chapters (1)

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I paid my private security three hundred grand a year, and he just slapped me across the face in front of twenty people. After he struck me, he looked right at my wife. Valerie was holding a glass of red wine. she smiled at her so-called guy best friend. "Are you less angry now?" Her best friend adjusted his platinum cufflinks and gave a satisfied nod. I did not feel the pain in that moment. All I felt was the crushing realization that in this marriage, I was treated worse than a stray dog. I clenched my fists. I decided right then and there that starting today, I was taking back every single thing I had ever given her. Piece by piece. 1 When the slap landed on my left cheek, I did not hear the crack of the impact. What I heard was the collective gasp of everyone in the room. There were over twenty people in the VIP lounge. Some were my business partners. Some were Valerie's socialite girlfriends. The rest were friends brought by Dominic, her platonic guy best friend. Bruno hit hard. When you pay a bodyguard three hundred thousand dollars a year, you expect them to pack a punch. My head snapped forty-five degrees to the side. The metallic taste of blood flooded my mouth. I did not move. I stared at the highly polished marble floor. It reflected my face perfectly. The left side of my jaw was already swelling. "Adam, are you okay?" someone whispered. It was my executive assistant, Simon. He stood a few feet away, his face pale with shock and fury. I slowly lifted my head. Valerie was lounging on the velvet sofa, her legs crossed, a red stiletto dangling from her heel. She tilted her wine glass, gesturing toward Dominic. "Well? Do you feel better?" Dominic, wearing a tailored cashmere coat, smoothed out his cuffs with agonizing slowness. "Barely," he chuckled. "Tell your husband to watch his attitude next time. I do not like the way he looks at me." I shifted my gaze to Valerie. She did not even glance my way. Her eyes were entirely glued to Dominic. I knew that look all too well. It was pure, desperate flattery. She looked at him not like a friend, but like a master she was terrified of upsetting. Bruno stood next to me. His head was bowed, his massive hands trembling slightly. "Boss, I am so sorry," he muttered under his breath. "Mrs. Valerie said... if I did not hit you, she would make you fire me and blacklist me from the security industry." I did not look at him. I wiped the blood from the corner of my mouth with my thumb. I stood up straight. The room was so dead silent you could hear the hum of the AC unit. My business partners were staring at their phones or their shoes, desperately avoiding eye contact. Not a single person spoke up for me. Of course they did not. In their eyes, Adam being a total pushover for his wife was old news. I had tolerated it for three years. It started when Valerie first called me a useless coward in front of our friends. It escalated when she used my credit card to buy Dominic a birthday present. It peaked when she kicked me out of our master bedroom and forced me to sleep in the study. I endured it for three entire years. I genuinely believed that if I compromised enough, I would eventually earn her respect. I thought that if I drowned her in wealth and luxury, she would wake up and realize who actually loved her. But tonight, she ordered the bodyguard I paid for to slap me across the face. In front of twenty people. Just to stroke another man's ego. I took a deep breath. The string that had been pulled taut in my chest for three years finally snapped. "Simon," I said. My voice was eerily calm. My assistant immediately stepped forward. "Yes, Boss." "Bring the car to the underground garage. Wait for me there." "Understood." As Simon turned away, I saw his knuckles turn white from gripping his phone so hard. I did not spare Valerie another glance. I turned on my heel and walked out. From behind me, Dominic let out a loud, mocking laugh. "He is leaving? He does not even have the guts to say a word? Valerie, your husband is such a..." "Dominic," Valerie interrupted, her voice dripping with amusement. "Leave it. That is just how he is. I am used to it." Just how he is. Used to it. I did not break my stride. I walked out of the lounge, down the corridor, and stepped into the elevator. As the steel doors slid shut, I reached up and touched my left cheek. It was hot and swollen. Did it hurt? Yes. But the pain in my chest was infinitely worse. It felt like a vital organ had been violently ripped out of my ribcage. I stood in the elevator for a few seconds. Then I pulled out my phone and dialed a number. "Lawyer Reed. Be at my office tomorrow morning at ten." "Adam? It is late. Did something happen?" "I am getting a divorce." The line went dead silent for two seconds. "...Understood. I will be there at ten." I hung up. My heartbeat was steady. Steadier than it had been in three years. 2 I did not go home that night. I had Simon drive me to corporate headquarters. I slept on the leather sofa in my office. Well, I tried to sleep. Mostly, I just stared at the ceiling and thought. When did my marriage to Valerie become this toxic? Probably two years ago. Right around the time Dominic entered the picture. Dominic was a trust fund kid who studied abroad and ran a mediocre import business. He was smooth-talking, well-dressed, and endlessly charming. Valerie swore they were just college buddies. A purely platonic friendship. I believed her. Then this "platonic friend" started taking my wife out for dinner, coffee, and art exhibits three times a week. I brought it up once. Valerie smashed my favorite coffee mug against the wall. "Can you stop being so insecure? He is my friend! Are you just paranoid that everyone wants to sleep with me?" I dropped the subject. Later, she started using my supplementary black card to buy Dominic gifts. An eight-hundred-dollar leather belt. Twelve-hundred-dollar designer sneakers. A thirteen-thousand-dollar Rolex. I gently told her it was inappropriate. Valerie just gave me a look of pure disgust. "You make millions. What is wrong with spending a little pocket change? Dominic has helped me through so much. I cannot even buy him a thank-you gift? You are so cheap it is embarrassing." Cheap. I kept my mouth shut. Not long after, I was evicted from my own bedroom. Her excuse was that I snored and ruined her sleep. I had never snored a day in my life. I was just exhausted. My company was closing a massive acquisition, and I had pulled all-nighters for two weeks straight. My body was giving out, and I might have snored a few times. She could not tolerate it for a single night. I moved my clothes into the study. From that moment on, our marriage devolved into a business transaction. She spent my money, lived in my penthouse, drove the cars I bought, and swiped her way into the elite country clubs I paid for. And what was my return on investment? Public humiliation. Being treated like a servant by her male best friend. Getting slapped by my own payroll security. I sat up. The sky outside the floor-to-ceiling windows was getting light. Seven-thirty in the morning. I booted up my laptop and pulled up every single financial asset tied to Valerie. Real estate. The riverfront penthouse. Market value: three million dollars. I bought it before we got married, so it was legally mine. But I had added her name to the deed after the wedding as a gesture of love. Vehicles. A Porsche Cayenne and a Mercedes G-Wagon. The Cayenne was her daily driver. I bought the G-Wagon because she complained the Porsche did not look intimidating enough on the road. Both were registered in her name. Credit cards. Three platinum supplementary cards. Total credit limit: five hundred thousand dollars. Her average monthly spend was roughly forty thousand. Memberships. Golf clubs, luxury spas, the equestrian center. Annual fees totaled over a hundred grand. I went through the spreadsheets line by line. Over the last three years, I had blown nearly five million dollars on Valerie. Five million dollars. And it bought me a slap in the face. At exactly eight o'clock, Simon knocked and walked in. He brought black coffee, a breakfast sandwich, and a fresh dress shirt. He took one look at my bruised face but said nothing. I changed my shirt and took a bite of the sandwich. "Simon." "Yes, Boss." "I have three tasks for you today. Top priority." "Name them." "First, call the bank. Cancel all three of Valerie's supplementary credit cards immediately. Cut them off." Simon blinked in surprise. Then he gave a firm nod. "Done." "Second, the Porsche and the Mercedes. I paid for both in full. Look into the legal paperwork required to transfer the titles back or impound them." "Understood." "Third, contact the property management at the penthouse and sync with the legal team. I am initiating the process to remove her name from the deed." Simon looked up at me. There was a very complex emotion swirling in his eyes. Relief? Vindication? Probably both. "Adam," he paused carefully. "Once I pull these triggers, Valerie is going to wage a nuclear war." I leaned back in my chair and touched my swollen cheek. It still throbbed. "I know." "Are you... absolutely sure?" "It has been three years, Simon." I looked him dead in the eye. "I was slapped in public. I have never been so deeply degraded in my entire life." "I was hit by a man I pay. Ordered by my own wife. Just to make her little toy boy laugh." "Tell me, what exactly is left to hesitate about?" Simon did not say another word. He nodded sharply and walked out to execute my orders. At ten o'clock on the dot, Lawyer Reed arrived. I gave him a brief rundown of the situation. He adjusted his glasses. "Adam, if we go to litigation with your current financial paper trail and evidence... you have a massive advantage." "Explain." "The penthouse is a pre-marital asset. Even though her name was added, if we can prove she is at fault in the marriage..." "I can prove it," I said. I pulled open my desk drawer and slid a flash drive across the desk. "This contains two years of her credit card statements, wire transfers, and a few... highly inappropriate chat logs." Reed took the drive, raising an eyebrow. "You have been building a case this whole time?" I shook my head. "No. I just have my banking alerts turned on. Every time she wired money to Dominic, my phone pinged. I just never deleted the emails." "Also," I paused. "The VIP lounge last night had security cameras. The footage of the assault should still be on their servers. Subpoena it." Reed stood up and extended his hand. "Adam, consider it done. I am taking this case." We shook on it. After he left, I poured myself a glass of scotch and sat by the window. The morning sun was blinding. For the first time in three years, I felt like I could finally breathe. My phone vibrated on the desk. It was Valerie calling. I watched it ring for a few seconds. I did not answer. A minute later, a text popped up. "You did not come home last night? Where the hell are you?" Not a single ounce of concern. Just pure, entitled interrogation. I flipped the phone face down. I took a sip of scotch. Do not panic yet, sweetheart. The show is just getting started. 3 Around eleven-thirty, Valerie's second text came through. "My card is declining. What is going on? Fix it right now." Still barking orders. She had spoken to me exactly like this for three years. Never a discussion. Never a polite request. Just commands. I left her on read. At noon, the third text arrived. "Adam, what the hell are you doing?! I am at the salon, and my card keeps getting rejected. Do you have any idea how humiliating this is?" Humiliating. I get slapped in the face in front of my peers, and that is fine. But her card getting declined at a hair salon is a tragedy. I put my phone away and went down to the corporate cafeteria to grab lunch with Simon. Halfway through my steak, my phone rang again. It was not Valerie. It was Bruno. I debated for a second, then picked up. "Boss." Bruno's voice was low, like he was trying not to be overheard. "What do you want?" "Mrs. Valerie told me to ask you why the cards are frozen." I cut a piece of steak, put it in my mouth, and chewed slowly. "Bruno, do you honestly think you have the right to pass messages for her?" Dead silence on the other end. "Boss, about last night... I am truly sorry. I just..." "Save your apologies," I cut him off. "You made your choice. But you are a grown man. You know choices have consequences." "You are no longer on my payroll. You are fired." "Boss, wait!" "I will not sue you for breach of contract. Just disappear." I hung up. Simon watched me, looking like he wanted to say something. "Spill it." "Bruno has been with you for three years..." "Yes. Three years." I put my fork down. "And in those three years, I treated him like family. I paid for his mother's surgery out of pocket. I covered his little brother's college tuition." "But he still chose to hit me." "I do not care what his excuse was. He raised his hand against me." Simon nodded solemnly and went back to his food. At two o'clock, I went back to my office. I had seven missed calls from Valerie. I ignored all of them. At two-thirty, she sent a massive paragraph. "Adam, what is your problem? Are you throwing a temper tantrum over that tiny little joke yesterday? Can you grow up? It was a prank! Dominic did not even care, why are you being so dramatic? Unfreeze the cards right now, I have a spa appointment tomorrow." A tiny little joke. A prank. I stared at those words until my vision blurred. Having her husband assaulted by a hired guard in front of twenty people. To her, it was a joke. I let out a long, slow exhale. I typed a reply. "We will talk when I get home." I dropped the phone on the desk. I picked up a pen and grabbed a notepad. I wrote down my action plan. Step 1: Cut off all financial supply. Done. Step 2: Reclaim the vehicles. Step 3: Remove her name from the real estate. Step 4: Audit and reclaim all massive wire transfers made during the marriage. Step 5: Divorce. I reviewed the list. Then I added one final line at the bottom. Make her realize what losing me actually means. At five o'clock, I left work early. I drove straight to the penthouse. It was a two-hundred-square-foot luxury condo overlooking the city skyline. It cost me three million. The custom renovations cost another half a million. Every piece of Italian furniture, every chandelier, I picked out myself. I unlocked the door and walked in. Valerie was pacing the living room, looking furious. She was wearing a silk robe, her hair messy, yesterday's makeup smeared under her eyes. When she saw me, she practically lunged forward. "Adam! You finally showed up! What the hell kind of game are you playing?!" I calmly took off my shoes, slipped on my house slippers, and sat on the sofa opposite her. I stared at her with zero emotion. "Sit down." She froze. She was definitely not used to this tone. In the past, my voice was always soft, compromising, and pleading. Not today. She frowned, crossing her arms as she sat down, her foot tapping aggressively against the rug. "Speak. What is going on?" "Your cards are frozen." "I know they are frozen! I am asking you WHY!" "Because I called the bank and froze them." Her eyes went wide. "Excuse me?" "All three supplementary cards are canceled. Permanently. They will not be reactivated." Valerie opened her mouth, but no words came out. Then she let out a sharp, mocking laugh. "Is this a joke?" "No." "Adam, have you lost your mind?" Her voice shrilled. "You are doing this over that stupid little incident last night..." "Stupid little incident?" I cut her off. My voice was not loud, but the sheer venom in it made her flinch. She had never seen me look at her like this. Cold. Absolute, freezing detachment. "You ordered the man I pay to protect me, to slap me across the face in front of a room full of my peers." "Just so you could impress your little boy toy." "And you call that a 'stupid little incident'?" Valerie's lips parted. "You... you are just being insecure! Bruno barely even touched you, your face is barely even..." "Valerie." My voice dropped an octave. She instinctively shut her mouth. "Take a very close look at the left side of my face." I turned my head. My jaw was visibly swollen, and a dark purple bruise was blooming near the corner of my mouth. She glanced at it, her eyes flickering with something like guilt, but she instantly looked away. "Well, you cannot just cut me off! How am I supposed to buy anything? You are my husband, providing for me is your job!" My job. Hearing those words fall from her lips made my three years of patience feel like a pathetic comedy. "Starting today," I stood up, towering over her. "It is not just the cards." "The cars, the house, every single asset I funded out of my own pocket. I am taking it all back." Valerie looked completely paralyzed. "What are you talking about?" "I want a divorce." The words hit the floor like a live grenade. The living room went deathly silent. Valerie sat frozen on the sofa. Her expression morphed from shock, to disbelief, and finally, to explosive rage. "A divorce?" She jumped to her feet, screaming so loud her voice cracked. "Who gave you the right to divorce me, Adam?! Are you sleeping around? Do you have another woman on the side?!" I turned and walked toward the master bedroom. No, the study. The study had been my bedroom for three years. "My lawyer will contact you. If you refuse to settle, we will take this to trial." "You...!" A loud crash echoed behind me. She had grabbed a crystal vase off the coffee table and hurled it at the wall. I did not look back. I walked into the study and shut the door. I locked it. I sat down at my desk. My heart was steady. My hands were perfectly still. I felt absolutely zero regret. My phone buzzed on the desk. It was a random number. I answered it. "Adam?" It was Dominic. I leaned back in my chair. "What do you want?" "Valerie just called me crying," he said. He sounded incredibly relaxed, almost amused. "Are you not overreacting a little bit? We were just drunk and having fun last night. You are a grown man, why are you being so sensitive?" I stayed silent for three seconds. "Dominic. Listen to me very carefully." "Yeah?" "From this second forward, whatever happens between you and Valerie is none of my business." "If you want to be her sugar daddy, step up." "She burns through forty grand a month. If you can afford to keep her, you have my deepest respect." The line went completely silent. I ended the call. I blocked his number.

Watch & Promotions

About this novel