ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

After My Live-In Nanny Abused My Son

NovelMaster · English · Theater: NovelMaster, Lang: English, Genre: Realistic, Genre: School, Genre: Reborn, Genre: Romance ·

After My Live-In Nanny Abused My Son

Theater: NovelMaster  |  Language: English  |  NEW

Synopsis

When my live-in nanny asked if her grandson could move in with us, I felt bad for her and agreed. I even bumped her pay by five hundred dollars a month.
At first, things went well. She was quick with her chores, and the two boys had each other for company.
Gradually, though, things took a sour turn.
With the grocery money I provided daily, she bought exclusively what her grandson liked.
When I bought expensive organic cherries, she picked through the bowl and handed the biggest, plumpest ones to her own grandson first.
She even coached my son to pester me: "Your mom has money anyway. Make her buy it. Cry if she says no."
I convinced myself she was just lacking boundaries, that it wasn't worth causing a scene over petty cash.
Until that day, when I came home early and pushed open the front door.
My son sat crying on the floor, his little arm covered in a deep, angry bruise.
She held her grandson in her lap, pointing an accusing finger at my boy:
"Stop your crying! What's the big deal if your brother plays with one of your toys? Look at how your mother raised you—so selfish!"
When she turned and saw me, the color drained completely from her face.
I didn't waste a single breath on her. I pulled out my phone and dialed:
"I need the police. I want to report a case of child abuse."
The moment 911 picked up, Brenda's face twisted from pale to sickly green.
Her five-year-old grandson, Toby, jumped in fright, dropping a plastic toy car onto the hardwood floor with a sharp clatter.
My three-year-old son, Leo, was still sobbing on the ground. The red, swollen welt on his tiny arm was painfully vivid under the living room lights.
Snapping out of her stupor, Brenda shoved Toby behind her back. She plastered on a wrinkled, obsequious smile and scrambled toward me.
"Nora, please! Let me explain! They were just two little boys squabbling over a toy. Calling the police? That's so extreme! We're family here!"
I ignored her, calmly giving my address to the dispatcher.
Brenda panicked. She lunged forward, clawing at my hands to snatch my phone.
"Are you out of your mind?! If I hadn't felt pity for you being a single mother, I never would've taken this job! You're calling the cops on me? Do you have no conscience at all?!"
I stepped back, looking down at her with cold disgust.
The living room was a disaster. An open bag of potato chips was dumped all over the coffee table, and Leo's picture books were scattered across the floor—one of them ripped completely in half.
I knelt down and scooped Leo into my arms. The little guy wrapped his arms around my neck immediately, burying his wet face into my shoulder, his small chest heaving with choked sobs.
"Mommy... Toby tried to steal my Spider-Man. When I wouldn't let him, he pinched me. Miss Brenda yelled at me... she said I was greedy..."
Leo's muffled voice trembled. The red mark on his pale skin was already darkening into a deep purple bruise.
Rage surged through my veins, but I didn't let my expression waver. I rubbed his back gently, whispering, "It's okay, baby. Mommy's here. Nobody hurts you."
Brenda was still putting on a show, slapping her thighs and wailing theatrically.
"Oh, God, what did I do to deserve this?! I came here out of the goodness of my heart to look after your kid, and you frame me for child abuse! Toby, tell her—did you pinch him?"
Toby, terrified by Brenda's screeching, burst into loud wails.
Brenda immediately dropped to her knees, hugging her grandson and sobbing into his shirt. "See? Look at how you've terrified the poor boy!”
“ Nora, if you're not happy with my work, just fire me! Why call the police?! You're going to ruin my life!"
I sat on the couch with Leo in my lap, silently watching her pathetic performance.
Fifteen minutes later, two officers arrived—one male, one female. They stepped in and quickly surveyed the mess.
The female officer inspected the bruise on Leo's arm, snapped several photos for evidence, and took my statement.
I laid out every single detail without embellishment.
Brenda grew frantic, latching onto the male officer's sleeve.
"Officer, please! Don't listen to her! It was just two kids playing too rough! Toddlers have sensitive skin—it turns red if you barely touch it! How is that abuse? I've worked here for almost a year. We've never had an issue before!"
The officer frowned. "Are you the live-in nanny?"
Brenda nodded frantically. "Yes! Yes, I cook and clean and run myself ragged for them day in and day out! And this is the thanks I get!"
She started crying all over again.
I stayed silent, holding Leo close.
The female officer walked over and asked softly, "Ms. Vance, how do you want to handle this?"
"I want him examined by a doctor, and I want full criminal charges pressed," I said flatly.Brenda exploded.
"Are you insane, Nora?! You're pressing charges over this?! A criminal record will ruin the rest of my life! How can you be so vicious?!"
I looked her dead in the eye, my voice ice-cold. "Were you being vicious when you dug your nails into my three-year-old? When you called him selfish, did you remember he's just a baby?"
Brenda choked on her words, but dug her heels in. "I never pinched him! Where's your proof?!"
I pointed calmly toward the upper corner of the bookshelf. "There's a camera right there."
Every drop of blood vanished from Brenda's face.
She had lived in my home for nearly a year and had never paid attention to that small, dome-shaped lens, probably assuming it was a smoke detector or a Wi-Fi booster.
I had originally installed it for home security while I was away. I never imagined it would catch this.
The two officers exchanged a glance. The female officer spoke up:
"Since there's video evidence, let's head down to the precinct for formal statements. Ms. Vance, would you like to bring your son along, or have someone watch him at home?"
"He's coming with me." I stood up with Leo in my arms.
Panic seized Brenda completely. She grabbed my arm, her voice trembling.
"Nora... Nora, listen to me! I'll apologize, okay? I shouldn't have yelled at Leo. I'll get on my knees right now if you want!"
She genuinely dropped toward the floor.
I sidestepped, refusing to let her touch me.
"Brenda, save your energy. You can explain it all to the officers."
Brenda stared in disbelief as I walked out the door with my son. Stunned for several seconds, she collapsed onto the floor, howling at the top of her lungs.
Toby screamed in terror alongside her.
The male officer sighed, pulling her up by the arm. "Get up, ma'am. You can do your talking at the precinct."
That evening at the station, I pulled up the cloud footage on my phone.
The video was crystal clear.
Toby had tried to wrench the toy from Leo's grip. When Leo resisted, Brenda stepped in, violently shoving Leo backward onto the floor.
When Leo began to cry, she poked him harshly on the forehead: "Stop crying! What's the big deal if your brother plays with one of your toys? Look at how your mother raised you—so selfish!"
Apparently that wasn't enough. She then grabbed Leo's forearm and twisted the skin with brutal force.
He was three. His skin was soft and delicate. How could he possibly withstand a grown woman's pinch?
By the time we left the precinct, it was well past midnight. Leo had fallen asleep in my arms, tears still dried against his long eyelashes.
My parents lived abroad, and my ex-husband had vanished from our lives years ago. For a long time, it had just been me and my boy.
I had hired Brenda hoping to give Leo a warm, steady presence and a playmate.
Instead, I had let a wolf straight through my front door.
Early the next morning, the nanny agency called.
Their tone was excessively apologetic. They assured me Brenda had been permanently blacklisted, offered financial compensation, and promised a top-tier replacement free of charge.
I declined. I would care for my son myself.
Unfortunately, the nightmare was far from over.
Brenda's son, Greg Cox, and his wife, Amber, showed up at my doorstep that very afternoon.I had just gotten Leo down for his afternoon nap when the doorbell rang.
I checked the peephole. A man and a woman in their early thirties stood outside. They were dressed decently, but the grim entitlement on their faces was unmistakable.
I cracked the door open without unlocking the security latch, with zero intention of inviting them in.
Greg was quick to put on a polite front, offering a shallow bow. "Ms. Vance, we are so sorry about my mother. We came specifically to apologize to you."
I leaned against the doorframe, silent.
Amber nudged Greg from behind. Greg quickly lifted a lavish fruit basket.
"Just a small token of our sincerity. Please, Ms. Vance, show a little grace. Don't take it out on an old woman. She's getting up there in years, and sometimes she doesn't think straight. She lacks judgment."
I glanced at the basket and kept my hands in my pockets.
"Her head seemed perfectly clear when she was digging her nails into my son," I said quietly.
"And when she asked him who taught him to be so selfish, her tongue worked just fine. Didn't sound like someone with cognitive issues to me."
Greg's smile stiffened.
Amber couldn't hold back anymore. She pushed past him.
"Look, Ms. Vance, let's be real here. My mother-in-law worked for you for almost a year. Even if she didn't do everything right, she worked hard, didn't she? Are you really going to ruin her life over one little incident?"
"She's sitting in county jail right now, and our whole family is suffering for it! Can't you just let it go?"
I looked at her, letting out a soft, mocking laugh.
"One little incident? You call felony child abuse a 'little incident'?"
"Your kid grabbed the toy from Toby first!" Amber snapped.
"The camera caught every second. Your son stole from mine," my voice wasn't loud, but it was solid iron.
"Your mother didn't stop him. She helped him, and then she bruised my three-year-old. If you honestly think that's no big deal, how about I go pinch your son right now and see if you shrug it off?"
Amber's face flushed crimson. She opened her mouth to spit venom, but Greg yanked her back.
"Enough, Amber! Ms. Vance, let's not fight."
Greg inhaled deeply, switching to a transactional tone. "How about this? You sign an affidavit of non-prosecution so my mom can post bail, and we'll compensate you cash. Name your price. How much do you want?"
Looking at his smug face—believing money could wash away his mother's cruelty—my blood boiled.
"I don't want your money. I want her prosecuted to the full extent of the law."
The fake warmth vanished from Greg's face.
"Ms. Vance, you really want to play hardball?"
His tone dropped into a threat. "Think carefully. If she actually gets convicted and sent away, she's old and in poor health. If something happens to her in prison, will your conscience ever let you sleep?"
I nearly laughed out loud.
"Did she think about her conscience when she abused my son?"
"You—!"
Greg's face turned dark, but he swallowed his anger again, adopting a patronizing, lecturing tone.
"Ms. Vance, you're a smart woman. We're all parents here. You should understand a grandmother's love for her grandson.”
“She just adores Toby too much and made a stupid mistake in the heat of the moment. Can't you find it in your heart to give an old woman a second chance?"
"Loving her grandson gives her the right to hurt someone else's baby?" I stared into his eyes, enunciating every syllable. "Your son is a precious treasure, but mine is trash? Your mother loves your kid, but I don't love mine?"
Amber muttered under her breath from the side, "It's not like he ended up in the ER. It was just a bruise. It's not real damage."
I glared at her, pulling out my phone.
"Bring your son up here right now. Let's see how you feel when I leave the exact same bruise on his arm."
Amber flinched and took a step back.
Greg completely ran out of patience. His eyes narrowed dangerously. "Nora Vance, I came here to negotiate like an adult, but you're being unreasonable. Don't make choices you'll regret."
"Is that a threat?" I arched an eyebrow.
"I wouldn't dare threaten you. It's just a friendly reminder."
Greg pulled Amber toward the elevator. After a few steps, he paused and glanced over his shoulder. "Walls have ears, Ms. Vance. And karma comes around fast. Think about that."
I watched them step into the elevator, then slammed the heavy door shut and turned the deadbolt.
Leo was standing barefoot at the end of the hallway, rubbing his sleepy eyes and looking at me with wide, frightened eyes. "Mommy... did the bad people leave?"
I knelt down and gathered his warm little body into my arms.
"They're gone, sweetie. Don't be scared. Mommy's here."
He clung to my neck, whispering, "Mommy, I don't want Miss Brenda to come back. She's mean."
I kissed his forehead gently. "She is never coming back. It's just you and me from now on."
That evening, the agency manager called me back.
His tone was slippery, subtly hinting that settling out of court might be best, mentioning that Brenda's relatives had caused multiple scenes at their office and hurt their business.
I gave him a blunt "No."
He went silent and hung up.
The next morning, my phone blared, waking me up. It was my close friend Sarah.
"Nora! Turn on your phone right now! You're trending on local community forums and Twitter!"

Chapters (3)

Chapter 1   Chapter 2   Chapter 3

Chapter 1

When my live-in nanny asked if her grandson could move in with us, I felt bad for her and agreed. I even bumped her pay by five hundred dollars a month. At first, things went well. She was quick with her chores, and the two boys had each other for company. Gradually, though, things took a sour turn. With the grocery money I provided daily, she bought exclusively what her grandson liked. When I bought expensive organic cherries, she picked through the bowl and handed the biggest, plumpest ones to her own grandson first. She even coached my son to pester me: "Your mom has money anyway. Make her buy it. Cry if she says no." I convinced myself she was just lacking boundaries, that it wasn't worth causing a scene over petty cash. Until that day, when I came home early and pushed open the front door. My son sat crying on the floor, his little arm covered in a deep, angry bruise. She held her grandson in her lap, pointing an accusing finger at my boy: "Stop your crying! What's the big deal if your brother plays with one of your toys? Look at how your mother raised you—so selfish!" When she turned and saw me, the color drained completely from her face. I didn't waste a single breath on her. I pulled out my phone and dialed: "I need the police. I want to report a case of child abuse." The moment 911 picked up, Brenda's face twisted from pale to sickly green. Her five-year-old grandson, Toby, jumped in fright, dropping a plastic toy car onto the hardwood floor with a sharp clatter. My three-year-old son, Leo, was still sobbing on the ground. The red, swollen welt on his tiny arm was painfully vivid under the living room lights. Snapping out of her stupor, Brenda shoved Toby behind her back. She plastered on a wrinkled, obsequious smile and scrambled toward me. "Nora, please! Let me explain! They were just two little boys squabbling over a toy. Calling the police? That's so extreme! We're family here!" I ignored her, calmly giving my address to the dispatcher. Brenda panicked. She lunged forward, clawing at my hands to snatch my phone. "Are you out of your mind?! If I hadn't felt pity for you being a single mother, I never would've taken this job! You're calling the cops on me? Do you have no conscience at all?!" I stepped back, looking down at her with cold disgust. The living room was a disaster. An open bag of potato chips was dumped all over the coffee table, and Leo's picture books were scattered across the floor—one of them ripped completely in half. I knelt down and scooped Leo into my arms. The little guy wrapped his arms around my neck immediately, burying his wet face into my shoulder, his small chest heaving with choked sobs. "Mommy... Toby tried to steal my Spider-Man. When I wouldn't let him, he pinched me. Miss Brenda yelled at me... she said I was greedy..." Leo's muffled voice trembled. The red mark on his pale skin was already darkening into a deep purple bruise. Rage surged through my veins, but I didn't let my expression waver. I rubbed his back gently, whispering, "It's okay, baby. Mommy's here. Nobody hurts you." Brenda was still putting on a show, slapping her thighs and wailing theatrically. "Oh, God, what did I do to deserve this?! I came here out of the goodness of my heart to look after your kid, and you frame me for child abuse! Toby, tell her—did you pinch him?" Toby, terrified by Brenda's screeching, burst into loud wails. Brenda immediately dropped to her knees, hugging her grandson and sobbing into his shirt. "See? Look at how you've terrified the poor boy!” “ Nora, if you're not happy with my work, just fire me! Why call the police?! You're going to ruin my life!" I sat on the couch with Leo in my lap, silently watching her pathetic performance. Fifteen minutes later, two officers arrived—one male, one female. They stepped in and quickly surveyed the mess. The female officer inspected the bruise on Leo's arm, snapped several photos for evidence, and took my statement. I laid out every single detail without embellishment. Brenda grew frantic, latching onto the male officer's sleeve. "Officer, please! Don't listen to her! It was just two kids playing too rough! Toddlers have sensitive skin—it turns red if you barely touch it! How is that abuse? I've worked here for almost a year. We've never had an issue before!" The officer frowned. "Are you the live-in nanny?" Brenda nodded frantically. "Yes! Yes, I cook and clean and run myself ragged for them day in and day out! And this is the thanks I get!" She started crying all over again. I stayed silent, holding Leo close. The female officer walked over and asked softly, "Ms. Vance, how do you want to handle this?" "I want him examined by a doctor, and I want full criminal charges pressed," I said flatly.

Chapter 2

Brenda exploded. "Are you insane, Nora?! You're pressing charges over this?! A criminal record will ruin the rest of my life! How can you be so vicious?!" I looked her dead in the eye, my voice ice-cold. "Were you being vicious when you dug your nails into my three-year-old? When you called him selfish, did you remember he's just a baby?" Brenda choked on her words, but dug her heels in. "I never pinched him! Where's your proof?!" I pointed calmly toward the upper corner of the bookshelf. "There's a camera right there." Every drop of blood vanished from Brenda's face. She had lived in my home for nearly a year and had never paid attention to that small, dome-shaped lens, probably assuming it was a smoke detector or a Wi-Fi booster. I had originally installed it for home security while I was away. I never imagined it would catch this. The two officers exchanged a glance. The female officer spoke up: "Since there's video evidence, let's head down to the precinct for formal statements. Ms. Vance, would you like to bring your son along, or have someone watch him at home?" "He's coming with me." I stood up with Leo in my arms. Panic seized Brenda completely. She grabbed my arm, her voice trembling. "Nora... Nora, listen to me! I'll apologize, okay? I shouldn't have yelled at Leo. I'll get on my knees right now if you want!" She genuinely dropped toward the floor. I sidestepped, refusing to let her touch me. "Brenda, save your energy. You can explain it all to the officers." Brenda stared in disbelief as I walked out the door with my son. Stunned for several seconds, she collapsed onto the floor, howling at the top of her lungs. Toby screamed in terror alongside her. The male officer sighed, pulling her up by the arm. "Get up, ma'am. You can do your talking at the precinct." That evening at the station, I pulled up the cloud footage on my phone. The video was crystal clear. Toby had tried to wrench the toy from Leo's grip. When Leo resisted, Brenda stepped in, violently shoving Leo backward onto the floor. When Leo began to cry, she poked him harshly on the forehead: "Stop crying! What's the big deal if your brother plays with one of your toys? Look at how your mother raised you—so selfish!" Apparently that wasn't enough. She then grabbed Leo's forearm and twisted the skin with brutal force. He was three. His skin was soft and delicate. How could he possibly withstand a grown woman's pinch? By the time we left the precinct, it was well past midnight. Leo had fallen asleep in my arms, tears still dried against his long eyelashes. My parents lived abroad, and my ex-husband had vanished from our lives years ago. For a long time, it had just been me and my boy. I had hired Brenda hoping to give Leo a warm, steady presence and a playmate. Instead, I had let a wolf straight through my front door. Early the next morning, the nanny agency called. Their tone was excessively apologetic. They assured me Brenda had been permanently blacklisted, offered financial compensation, and promised a top-tier replacement free of charge. I declined. I would care for my son myself. Unfortunately, the nightmare was far from over. Brenda's son, Greg Cox, and his wife, Amber, showed up at my doorstep that very afternoon.

Chapter 3

I had just gotten Leo down for his afternoon nap when the doorbell rang. I checked the peephole. A man and a woman in their early thirties stood outside. They were dressed decently, but the grim entitlement on their faces was unmistakable. I cracked the door open without unlocking the security latch, with zero intention of inviting them in. Greg was quick to put on a polite front, offering a shallow bow. "Ms. Vance, we are so sorry about my mother. We came specifically to apologize to you." I leaned against the doorframe, silent. Amber nudged Greg from behind. Greg quickly lifted a lavish fruit basket. "Just a small token of our sincerity. Please, Ms. Vance, show a little grace. Don't take it out on an old woman. She's getting up there in years, and sometimes she doesn't think straight. She lacks judgment." I glanced at the basket and kept my hands in my pockets. "Her head seemed perfectly clear when she was digging her nails into my son," I said quietly. "And when she asked him who taught him to be so selfish, her tongue worked just fine. Didn't sound like someone with cognitive issues to me." Greg's smile stiffened. Amber couldn't hold back anymore. She pushed past him. "Look, Ms. Vance, let's be real here. My mother-in-law worked for you for almost a year. Even if she didn't do everything right, she worked hard, didn't she? Are you really going to ruin her life over one little incident?" "She's sitting in county jail right now, and our whole family is suffering for it! Can't you just let it go?" I looked at her, letting out a soft, mocking laugh. "One little incident? You call felony child abuse a 'little incident'?" "Your kid grabbed the toy from Toby first!" Amber snapped. "The camera caught every second. Your son stole from mine," my voice wasn't loud, but it was solid iron. "Your mother didn't stop him. She helped him, and then she bruised my three-year-old. If you honestly think that's no big deal, how about I go pinch your son right now and see if you shrug it off?" Amber's face flushed crimson. She opened her mouth to spit venom, but Greg yanked her back. "Enough, Amber! Ms. Vance, let's not fight." Greg inhaled deeply, switching to a transactional tone. "How about this? You sign an affidavit of non-prosecution so my mom can post bail, and we'll compensate you cash. Name your price. How much do you want?" Looking at his smug face—believing money could wash away his mother's cruelty—my blood boiled. "I don't want your money. I want her prosecuted to the full extent of the law." The fake warmth vanished from Greg's face. "Ms. Vance, you really want to play hardball?" His tone dropped into a threat. "Think carefully. If she actually gets convicted and sent away, she's old and in poor health. If something happens to her in prison, will your conscience ever let you sleep?" I nearly laughed out loud. "Did she think about her conscience when she abused my son?" "You—!" Greg's face turned dark, but he swallowed his anger again, adopting a patronizing, lecturing tone. "Ms. Vance, you're a smart woman. We're all parents here. You should understand a grandmother's love for her grandson.” “She just adores Toby too much and made a stupid mistake in the heat of the moment. Can't you find it in your heart to give an old woman a second chance?" "Loving her grandson gives her the right to hurt someone else's baby?" I stared into his eyes, enunciating every syllable. "Your son is a precious treasure, but mine is trash? Your mother loves your kid, but I don't love mine?" Amber muttered under her breath from the side, "It's not like he ended up in the ER. It was just a bruise. It's not real damage." I glared at her, pulling out my phone. "Bring your son up here right now. Let's see how you feel when I leave the exact same bruise on his arm." Amber flinched and took a step back. Greg completely ran out of patience. His eyes narrowed dangerously. "Nora Vance, I came here to negotiate like an adult, but you're being unreasonable. Don't make choices you'll regret." "Is that a threat?" I arched an eyebrow. "I wouldn't dare threaten you. It's just a friendly reminder." Greg pulled Amber toward the elevator. After a few steps, he paused and glanced over his shoulder. "Walls have ears, Ms. Vance. And karma comes around fast. Think about that." I watched them step into the elevator, then slammed the heavy door shut and turned the deadbolt. Leo was standing barefoot at the end of the hallway, rubbing his sleepy eyes and looking at me with wide, frightened eyes. "Mommy... did the bad people leave?" I knelt down and gathered his warm little body into my arms. "They're gone, sweetie. Don't be scared. Mommy's here." He clung to my neck, whispering, "Mommy, I don't want Miss Brenda to come back. She's mean." I kissed his forehead gently. "She is never coming back. It's just you and me from now on." That evening, the agency manager called me back. His tone was slippery, subtly hinting that settling out of court might be best, mentioning that Brenda's relatives had caused multiple scenes at their office and hurt their business. I gave him a blunt "No." He went silent and hung up. The next morning, my phone blared, waking me up. It was my close friend Sarah. "Nora! Turn on your phone right now! You're trending on local community forums and Twitter!"

Watch & Promotions

About this novel