
Theater: GoodNovel | Language: English
Synopsis
Coming from a poor background, everyone in Carl Humphry's circle assumes I'm a gold digger.
Especially his best friend, Miriam Briggs.
She claims she used to be one herself, so she knows my kind all too well.
Desperate to prove them wrong, I spend three years with Carl without accepting a single expensive gift.
Miriam just scoffs. "She says no, but deep down, she's just waiting for the man to make the first move and offer her something better. It's the classic play-hard-to-get routine."
Then comes Carl's birthday. I've saved up for six months to buy him a watch.
As I approach the private room, I hear Miriam laughing inside. "I told you she'd buy something pricey. Classic gold-digger move. Pretend you don't care about money, drop a little cash, and watch it pay off big later."
Carl sits right beside her and doesn't say a single word.
Someone chimes in, "Man, Carl, your girlfriend really knows how to play the long game."
When they see me walk in, someone signals the room to hush. "Shh, quiet. She's here."
Miriam smirks. "Some people just need to be real like me if they want a man to actually like them. Don't you guys agree?"
Carl stares at me for a long time before asking, "Have you just been acting this whole time? Are you really aiming for a massive payout?"
As I stand in the doorway, the watch suddenly feels heavy enough to crush me.
I don't answer. I just turn around and walk away.
I'm done offering real love to someone who only ever questions it.
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
Coming from a poor background, everyone in Carl Humphry's circle assumes I'm a gold digger.
Especially his best friend, Miriam Briggs.
She claims she used to be one herself, so she knows my kind all too well.
Desperate to prove them wrong, I spend three years with Carl without accepting a single expensive gift.
Miriam just scoffs. "She says no, but deep down, she's just waiting for the man to make the first move and offer her something better. It's the classic play-hard-to-get routine."
Then comes Carl's birthday. I've saved up for six months to buy him a watch.
As I approach the private room, I hear Miriam laughing inside. "I told you she'd buy something pricey. Classic gold-digger move. Pretend you don't care about money, drop a little cash, and watch it pay off big later."
Carl sits right beside her and doesn't say a single word.
Someone chimes in, "Man, Carl, your girlfriend really knows how to play the long game."
When they see me walk in, someone signals the room to hush. "Shh, quiet. She's here."
Miriam smirks. "Some people just need to be real like me if they want a man to actually like them. Don't you guys agree?"
Carl stares at me for a long time before asking, "Have you just been acting this whole time? Are you really aiming for a massive payout?"
As I stand in the doorway, the watch suddenly feels heavy enough to crush me.
I don't answer. I just turn around and walk away.
I'm done offering real love to someone who only ever questions it.
Chapter 1
After leaving the private room at the clubhouse, I went straight to the mall where I had bought the watch.
The sales associate recognized me immediately.
Barely 30 minutes ago, I had beamed as she handed me the gift box.
Now, with the ribbon still tied, I was asking her to process a return.
"Ma'am, since the case back is custom-engraved, we can only buy it back at a discounted price."
"How much can I get back?" I asked.
"4,200 dollars."
It was a 6,000-dollar watch, funded by six months of my hard-earned savings.
Just like that, I was throwing away nearly 2,000 dollars.
I gave a nod. "Do it."
As the sales associate took the box, Miriam Briggs' condescending chuckle echoed behind me. "See? What did I tell you? I knew she'd return it."
My boyfriend, Carl Humphry, and the rest of the crew from the private room had followed me down.
They hovered outside the store like spectators at a circus.
One of his friends pulled out a phone and snapped a picture of the receipt.
"Spends 6,000 dollars on a watch and expects a sports car from Carl in return. With returns like that, even investment experts should take notes."
"Hey, Reyna dragged herself out of some backwater town to land Carl. Give her some credit."
Their words stung like icy needles.
Miriam strutted over and shot a dismissive glance at the buyback slip. "You guys are so naive. Cheap gold diggers just ask for cash outright.
"Her type is far more calculating. She spends a little pocket change, plays the martyr, returns the gift, and leaves the guy drowning in guilt. Next thing you know, she gets a house and a car."
The crowd burst into laughter.
"Ah, playing the long game! No wonder she hasn't accepted a single gift from Carl in three years. She's aiming to be Mrs. Humphry."
I grabbed my bank card and turned to walk away.
Carl grabbed my wrist. "Haven't you made enough of a scene?"
He pulled a black bank card from his wallet and jammed it into my palm. "I was too harsh earlier. Take it and buy yourself something nice. Just drop the attitude."
As I stared at the card, a heavy knot formed in my chest.
In our three years of being together, I hadn't spent a single dime of his money.
Yet even now, he believed that every ounce of my pain could be bought off.
I set the bank card down on the glass counter. "Carl, we're over."
His expression hardened instantly.
However, Miriam clapped her hands. "See what I mean? Returning the watch was just the appetizer. The breakup is the main course."
She turned to Carl, looking utterly confident. "She's put in three years of work, and she's right at the finish line. As if she'd actually walk away. She's just backing you into a corner so you'll propose."
The crowd immediately chimed in, "Come on, Carl! Get down on one knee! Better do it now, or next time she'll skip the watch and slit her wrists for attention."
Carl's furrowed brow slowly relaxed. He lowered his gaze to me, and a note of understanding crept into his voice as he said, "If you want to get married, just say so. Using a breakup to manipulate me is low."
I yanked my hand free. "I'm not trying to manipulate you. I just don't want you anymore."
Carl stared at me, his last shred of patience evaporating. "Fine. Let's see how long this little act of yours lasts."
I didn't bother to reply. I turned around and walked out of the mall alone.
I had just stepped into a cab when my boss, Steve Adkins, called. "We need someone for the Jeloria project right away. It's a three-year overseas assignment, leaving the day after tomorrow. The conditions out there are tough. Are you up for it?"
In the past, I had turned down two major assignments just to stay by Carl's side.
This time, I didn't hesitate for a second. "Count me in."
I booked a ticket for 9:00 am the day after tomorrow.
I had less than 48 hours left before I said goodbye to this city and Carl forever.
Chapter 2
The next morning, I started packing.
Three years of my life ended up fitting into just two suitcases.
I had just zipped the last bag shut when the front door swung open.
Carl walked in, with Miriam right at his side. The same crowd that had mocked me last night was tagging along.
They stepped inside without a hint of remorse. Instead, they gathered around my luggage to pass judgment.
"Look at that. Reyna actually packed."
"Well, you've gotta put on a full show, right? Even if those bags are empty."
"I bet she'll unpack everything by tonight."
"Tonight? That's too generous. I give her three hours."
Miriam held up a single finger. "One hour. The second Carl offers to give her this place, she won't go anywhere."
Someone gave her a thumbs-up. "Leave it to Miriam to read her mind!"
"She knows how gold diggers think because she used to play the game herself."
The group burst into laughter.
I crouched and slipped my ID and passport into the inner zipper of my suitcase.
Carl stood by the door, his expression dark. "Where are you going?"
"It's none of your business."
Miriam cut in immediately. "See that? Reyna's not answering you just to keep you on edge. If you press her, she wins."
Carl had taken a step forward, but he froze when he heard Miriam's words.
I pulled a small box from the nightstand drawer.
Inside were my access cards, the house keys, and a few gifts Carl had given me over the years.
The most expensive item was a 600-dollar necklace—a leftover party raffle prize he had tossed my way on a whim.
I pushed the box toward him. "You can have everything back."
When Carl saw the keys, his face turned grim.
But Miriam snatched them up first and dangled them in the air. "Carl, do you still not get it? She's lived here for three years, and her name isn't on the deed. She's throwing a fit because you haven't taken the hint."
The crowd traded knowing looks.
"Three years and not even a house to show for it? No wonder she's losing her patience. Carl, your charity work is falling a little short!"
"Ten houses in her hometown wouldn't even be enough to buy one bathroom in your house. Of course she's desperate."
My fingernails dug deep into my palms.
Carl knew better than anyone how much I hated people weaponizing my background.
Yet, he just stood there without saying a single word to stop them. He just stared at me. "I'll have my assistant transfer the house to you this afternoon. The place is yours. Happy now? Drop the act. There's no need to fake it. You know fake women are my biggest turnoff."
His words felt like a punch straight to my chest. "I don't want it."
His friends exchanged glances and snickered again. "Quite the appetite, huh? Turning down a whole house means she's eyeing shares in Humphry Corp."
Miriam crossed her arms. Her voice dripped with sarcasm as she said, "She's not turning it down. She just thinks it's not enough. Give her the house today, and tomorrow she'll be asking for the company."
I looked up at Carl. "You think I'm just playing hard to get for a bigger payout?"
He stayed silent.
At that moment, any lingering urge to explain myself completely died.
I pulled out my phone and dialed the wedding planner right in front of them. "Cancel the engagement party."
Carl's head snapped up. "What did you say?"
"The wedding is off. Forfeit the deposit from my account. Don't bother contacting Carl."
After hanging up, I canceled the dress order and the makeup artist.
Carl snatched up the box from the table. "Once this is off, there's no turning back."
I nodded. "Good. Then let's keep it that way."
He glared at me.
Miriam pulled at his arm. "Don't waste your breath. The bigger the scene she makes, the more terrified she is that you'll actually walk."
Carl finally turned around to leave.
When he reached the door, he threw a cold warning over his shoulder. "I'll be waiting for you to come crawling back, but I won't give you much time. You'd better think carefully about what you're doing."
Once the door clicked shut, I pulled up my phone.
The overseas transfer contract from HR had just landed in my inbox.
I signed my name and submitted it.
From this moment on, there was no turning back for either of us. And he would never get the chance to have me come back to him again.
Chapter 3
That evening, Miriam added me to a group chat. The group was named "How Long Can the Gold Digger Last".
There were over 20 people in it. All of them were Carl's friends.
The moment I joined, the chat was flooded with messages.
"I bet she'll apologize before midnight."
"Midnight is way too long. A poor woman like her won't risk losing her golden ticket."
"My money's on her begging Carl for forgiveness outside his office."
"Loser buys supper for a month."
Miriam sent a voice note. "You guys give her way too much credit. She's definitely sitting at home right now, waiting for Carl to come back. Packing bags, canceling the wedding, and returning gifts are straight out of the playing-hard-to-get playbook.
"People who actually want to leave don't make such a dramatic fuss. She just wants everyone to know because she's desperate for Carl to chase after her."
Someone asked her why she was so sure.
Miriam snickered. "How many times do I have to tell you? I used to play this game. A penniless woman landing a guy like Carl is like winning the lottery. Would a lottery winner tear up her ticket and skip cashing in? Who's that stupid?"
The chat erupted in laughing emojis.
Carl was in the group too. He didn't utter a single word, but he didn't put a stop to it either.
I left the group chat.
Less than ten seconds later, Miriam pulled me back in.
"Leaving so soon? Aren't you breaking up? Let us see how many days you can keep up the act. Why not place a bet on yourself? When are you going back to beg Carl?"
I left a second time.
Half an hour later, an unknown number called.
"Is this Mr. Carl Humphry's girlfriend? He was in a car crash. He's in the ER right now."
Three years ago, they played the same trick on me.
I was taking a professional licensing exam that day.
When I heard that Carl was in a crash, I walked out on the test without even submitting it and sprinted to the hospital like a lunatic.
I had burst into the ward only to find a table full of food and drinks.
They had laughed in my face, saying my panic proved I was just terrified of losing my meal ticket.
The second time, Mom fell ill and was admitted to the hospital.
They lied again, claiming Carl was in danger.
I left my feverish mother with a neighbor and rode a train for five hours to get back.
Yet, it was just another test.
They watched me sob while mockingly praising my realistic acting skills.
This time, I spoke calmly. "If you need someone to sign consent forms, call his family. We broke up."
Silence fell over the other end of the line, followed by a burst of laughter.
Miriam snatched the phone. "Getting smarter, aren't we? You figured out it was a test. Don't think that playing cold-hearted is going to scare Carl, though."
I hung up immediately.
At dawn the next morning, I dragged my luggage to the airport.
Right before security, my colleague called. "Mr. Humphry's assistant just asked me if you really resigned."
I stopped in my tracks. "What did you tell him?"
"Before I could say anything, a woman next to him piped up, saying you were just trying to force a proposal. Then Mr. Humphry hung up."
I didn't need to ask who the woman was.
At 8:40 am, the boarding announcement echoed through the terminal.
I glanced back at the entrance.
Carl wasn't coming.
My phone buzzed with a video from Miriam.
Carl was sitting in the private room with a glass of liquor in front of him.
The crowd was still waiting for me to cave.
Miriam's voice came from off-camera. "Relax, Reyna won't leave. She's probably hiding near the airport right now, waiting for you to rush over and beg her to come back. If you go, she'll use the breakup to hold over your head forever."
Carl looked up. "What if she actually leaves?"
Miriam didn't hesitate for a second. "If she actually has the guts to walk, I'll apologize to her in public."
The video cut off there.
I locked my phone and walked toward the gate.
I didn't care about her public apology. She could choke on it.
Chapter 4
Before leaving to the airport, I scheduled a courier to deliver the remaining boxes straight to the clubhouse where Carl was.
Half an hour later, someone posted an unboxing video in a group chat.
Inside were the scarves, plushies, keychains, and handwritten cards Carl had given me over the three years we were together.
At the very bottom lay a printed itemized ledger.
I had meticulously logged every single expense Carl had paid for—meals, trips, and our shared rent.
After my share was deducted, the remaining balance came to 11,360 dollars.
I wired the exact amount to his account.
In the video, one of his friends picked up the ledger and slapped his knee as he burst into laughter.
"What is this? Is she settling her service fee?"
"Only 11 grand for three years? Reyna must feel totally ripped off!"
"It's no wonder she canceled the wedding and packed her bags. She's just trying to shake Carl down for more money."
Another guy dangled the worn-out scarf from his fingertips.
"Sending back a ten-dollar cheap scarf? Who is she trying to fool with this noble act?"
"That's how poor people operate. They've never seen real luxury, so they treat trash like emotional artifacts."
Miriam snatched the ledger and skimmed through the numbers. "She's calculating every penny on purpose to remind Carl that she gave him three years of her youth. Just watch. Next, she'll demand compensation for the emotional distress she has suffered."
Carl sat on the couch, his complexion growing darker by the second.
As he stared at the pile of clutter, he suddenly broke his silence. "What if Reyna actually just wants to break up?"
Miriam scoffed. "Carl, don't tell me you're actually falling for her act. How much does she even make a month? Once she leaves you, she'll be paying rent, grinding at work, crammed into subways, and dating average losers.
"She's grown accustomed to the high life you gave her. Do you think she can ever go back?"
The guy beside him chimed in with another round of taunts, "Carl, you've just developed soft feelings for your charity project. A woman like her won't find anyone better out there. She'll come crawling back on her own.
"Who knows, she might be standing right outside the door right now, just waiting for you to say you forgive her."
The video abruptly cut off.
I left every shared group chat, then deleted the account associated with the phone number I had used for seven years.
The boarding call resonated through the terminal again.
As I stepped into the line, a message popped up from Carl's assistant, Jasper Kirby.
"Ms. Cote, Mr. Humphry asked me to check when you'll be returning."
I didn't bother replying.
The line slowly shuffled forward.
Just as I reached the gate agent, Steve called. "The company just notified our partners. Carl's side will likely find out very soon that you've signed the three-year contract. Are you absolutely certain about this?"
I looked out down the jet bridge leading into the cabin.
"I'm certain. This time, I'm not turning back."
After hanging up, I opened my final chat with Carl.
For the past three years, almost every message had come from me.
I would ask what time he'd be home, remind him to take his medication, and tell him where his fresh laundry was put away.
Across dozens of my recent texts, his only response had been a single word—"Okay".
I typed out my last words to him.
"Carl, your friends were right about one thing. I really am a great actress. I was fed up a long time ago, yet I spent three years playing the role of someone madly in love with you.
"The show's over now. From now on, no matter how many car crashes, drunken nights, or disappearing acts you stage to test me, I'll never come running back to you."
Carl's call came in instantly, but I didn't pick up.
He tried calling again and again. His name flashed relentlessly across the screen.
The flight attendant kindly reminded me to switch my device to airplane mode.
The screen went dark.
At that very moment, Jasper handed the overseas contract over to Carl at the clubhouse.
Black ink on white paper spelled out a binding three-year term.
Miriam reached out to grab it, but Carl slammed his hand down over the pages first.
As his eyes scanned my signature, the color drained completely from his face.
This time, there was no act. I was truly gone.
- Search this code in the GoodNovel app:
R62970 Open GoodNovel → Search code → Find the title