ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

After Our Divorce, My Twenty-Year Secret Shattered Her World

NovelMaster · English · Theater: NovelMaster, Lang: English, Genre: Realistic ·

After Our Divorce, My Twenty-Year Secret Shattered Her World

Theater: NovelMaster  |  Language: English

Synopsis

My wife’s first love was critically ill and posted a single word on his Instagram Story: “Goodbye.”
Claire, who was always so composed, completely lost her mind. She abandoned me while I was burning with a high fever and ran straight to his bedside.
I was shivering violently, coughing until my lungs burned, spitting up streaks of blood.
She didn't care. Instead, with tear-stained eyes, she begged me:
"Ethan, Julian is dying. His final wish is to marry me. Can we just get a fake divorce for a little while? Please?"
"I swear, as soon as he passes away, we’ll remarry immediately. We’ll spend the rest of our lives together, okay?"
Looking at her, every ounce of warmth in my heart turned to ash. I gave a slow nod.
What she didn't know was that my mentor had been urging me for months to join a top-secret Antarctic deep-research expedition.
The moment our divorce was finalized, I officially signed the classified contract.
Once I left, I wouldn’t return for twenty years.
Stepping out of City Hall, Claire held our freshly stamped divorce decree with a trembling grip.
"Ethan, the doctors gave Julian only one month to live."
"Just let me stay by his side for this final month. The second it's over, I'll come back and remarry you, alright?"
As she spoke, she pushed a thick folder into my hands.
"I bought this luxury villa for you. Stay there for this month, okay?"
I stared at the deed. My heart didn't even ripple.
She was giving me this villa simply because she was bringing Julian into our home. She didn't want him to feel insecure or jealous if he ran into me.
"No need. I'll find somewhere to crash. It’s only a month anyway."
I shook my head and pushed the deed back toward her.
Claire froze, her eyes brimming with guilt and affection.
"No, Ethan. Even if it’s just for one month, I won’t let the man I love live like that."
"Julian won’t be discharged until tomorrow. Tonight, let me come with you to the villa. Let me make it up to you, please?"
Ignoring my refusal, Claire forced the deed back into my hands.
Her eyes were so soft, almost melting into tears. She reached out, trying to hug me like she always did, but I stepped back, dodging her touch.
Shock washed over her face, and tears welled in her eyes.
"Ethan, you..."
I simply pointed behind her. "Julian is here. If he sees you hugging me, he’s going to get jealous, isn’t he?"
Claire breathed a quiet sigh of relief. Turning around, she frowned at Julian.
"Julian? What are you doing here?"
Julian was wearing a hospital gown, looking frail. But right in front of me, he leaned in and kissed Claire on the cheek.
"Because I couldn’t wait another second to marry you."
Julian cast a mocking, triumphant glance at me, but his voice sounded so humble and sweet:
"Ethan, thank you. Thank you for letting me spend my final days with Claire."
When Claire first demanded a divorce for Julian’s sake, I had already asked a friend at the hospital to pull his medical charts.
His scans were clean. He was never sick.
That was the moment I realized—his illness was just a convenient excuse for Claire to let me go.
A bitter smile touched my lips, while the sorrow in my chest threatened to drown me.
Claire, determined to play her part, shoved Julian back with genuine annoyance.
"Didn't I tell you to wait for me at home? We were supposed to file our papers tomorrow!"
"You know today is the day Ethan and I divorced. I promised to spend it with him!"
Julian’s eyes flashed with resentment. He clutched his chest, putting on a pitiful, wounded act.
"I tried to wait... but the pain was unbearable. I was terrified I’d die before I got to call you my wife."
Tears trickled down his cheeks as he turned to me. "If Ethan has a problem with it, I’ll just leave. Don’t worry about me. I can handle dying alone."
Claire immediately shot me an uncomfortable, hesitant look. Her lips parted, wanting to say something, but holding back.
I knew that look. She was waiting for me to step aside.
In the past, giving in had been second nature. Now, it felt like swallowing glass.
I drew in a deep breath, burying the agony deep within me. "Go ahead."
Relief instantly washed over Claire's face, replaced by a radiant smile.
As if to compensate for her guilt, she grabbed my arm.
"Ethan, haven't you always wanted that Rolex Daytona?"
"I just wired two million dollars into your account. Buy whatever you want. I’m so sorry, baby. Just wait for me for one month, okay? Just one month."
With that, she turned and walked into City Hall hand-in-hand with Julian.
I watched her retreating back, the divorce papers heavy in my hands. A cold ache spread through my chest.
Claire, is it really just one month?
After this month, won't there be another?
This wasn't the first time she had lied to me.
A month ago, on our seventh wedding anniversary, she swore she would clear her schedule to celebrate with me.
I woke up at three in the morning to hit the local market for the freshest ingredients.
I spent months of my hard-earned savings to buy her a custom diamond-pendant necklace.
Just as I finished setting up our candlelit dinner, she texted me claiming she was stuck working late at the office.
An hour later, I saw Julian’s Instagram Story. Claire was at a VIP club, raising a champagne glass to celebrate his birthday.
So this time was just another lie.
Except I wasn't going to give her the chance to lie to me ever again.
I lowered my head and texted my mentor.
I accept the classified Antarctic expedition starting in one month.
Even if it means I won't return for twenty years.
The woman I loved had already abandoned me. It was time to go somewhere she could never find me.
As I turned to leave, Claire suddenly ran out from the building and threw her arms around me.
My instinct was to push her away, but I held back.
"Ethan, please wait for me at the villa tonight, okay? I have so much to tell you."
"I know I’ve hurt you. When this month is over, I promise I’ll give you the grandest surprise of your life."
I masked the sorrow in my eyes, giving a faint nod. "Alright. I'll wait."
I went back to our penthouse to pack my belongings for Antarctica. Over the years, she had given me plenty of gifts, and I had cherished every single one.
Yet, the moment I reached the front door, I ran straight into Claire and Julian.
Claire was wearing a pristine white wedding gown, smiling brightly as she held Julian’s hand like a radiant newlywed.
In Julian's hand was their brand-new marriage certificate.
"Are you two... heading out for wedding photos?"
I remembered the day we got married. She had sworn that I would be the only man she ever wore white for.
Now, that vow was shattered. She was wearing that white dress for Julian.
My heart stung sharply.
The smile on Claire's face froze the moment she saw me.
Afraid of making Julian jealous, she stammered, "E-Ethan? Why are you here?"
Right. This was their home now. Why was I here?
I looked down with a self-deprecating smirk. "Just grabbing my things."
I walked inside.
In the hallway, I froze. My prestigious Rising Star in Science trophy—the highest honor of my early career—had been tossed callously into the trash can.
My hands shook as I pulled it out.
She knew better than anyone how much this meant to me. It was the award I had poured blood, sweat, and sleepless nights into winning.
And she threw it away like garbage?
Claire walked in behind me, her voice impatient.
"Ethan, didn't I send you money? Just buy new stuff. It was time to toss out all that old junk anyway. Julian and I have a photo shoot booked, so can you please..."
Before she could finish, I cut her off.
"It's not junk."
Claire seemed to have forgotten.
This trophy was the witness of our love.
The night I won it was the night I proposed to her.
Without this academic prestige, her elite family would have never allowed her to marry a "nobody" like me.
She knew what this trophy represented. She used to dust it off personally every single morning.
And now, she had tossed it into the trash. Just like our marriage.
Every remaining spark of love in my chest died. Without looking back, I offered a hollow blessing: "Congratulations on your wedding."
Then, I walked away.Claire came from old money, and she had lived wild in her youth.
When mutual friends first introduced us, I was shocked. A high-society heiress like her would never settle down with an ordinary researcher.
Yet, she fell for me at first sight. She cut off all her wild connections, cleaned up her act, and gave me her undivided devotion.
She even swore she would marry no one else, pursuing me relentlessly.
Over time, I fell hopelessly in love with her.
Now, we were in our seventh year of marriage.
The vows she made back then had finally faded.
It was time for me to walk away.
Holding my trophy, I rode my motorcycle through the rain to the villa she had given me.
I had promised to wait, and I always kept my word.
The moment I pulled up to the gate, Claire’s FaceTime call came in.
"Ethan, you left so fast earlier. I wanted to ask... could you stay inside the villa for this month and avoid coming to our old place? Julian is feeling insecure."
Before I could answer, Julian’s voice chimed in the background:
"Claire, babe, how do I unzip the back of your dress?"
Claire panicked and abruptly hung up the call, desperate to hide what was about to happen.
I let out a bitter, mocking chuckle.
Our old place? I don't have a home anymore.
I didn't have the key, and Claire hadn't given me the passcode.
Of course. It was her wedding day. Why would she remember such trivial details?
I punched in her birthday. The lock buzzed red.
I tried her lucky numbers, her phone number, her social security digits. Nothing worked.
One attempt left before the security system locked down completely.
With zero hope, I casually punched in my own birthday, planning to call a locksmith right after.
Click.
The door unlocked.
Claire had set my birthday as the passcode.
Did she still love me, or was it just lingering habit?
I went silent for a moment before pushing the door open.
Inside, there were obvious signs that someone had been living here recently.
I walked into the master bedroom. The silk sheets were tangled and tossed, and above the headboard hung an intimate framed photo of Claire and Julian.
Scattered across the floor were several used condoms. Peach-scented—the exact scent I hated most.
My fists clenched so tightly my nails bit into my palms. A sharp pain pierced straight through my chest.
I spun around to leave, but the front door clicked open.
A cleaning lady walked in, pausing in surprise. "Oh! Are you the new gentleman? You're here early!"
"I haven't finished cleaning up the bedroom yet. Why don't you have a seat in the living room?"
She was overly casual, offering me a glass of water before heading to the bedroom to clean.
Looking at the mess, my throat tightened. "Does... this happen often?"
The cleaning lady dumped the condoms and the photo into a black trash bag, replying without looking up:
"Well, it's not my place to gossip... but you know how these ultra-rich folks are. Totally wild in bed."
A heavy suffocating weight settled on my chest. Wild?
Claire... had she betrayed me long before today?
My chest felt bruised, but I sat on the living room sofa, waiting for Claire.
Every fiber of my being screamed at me to storm out of this love nest she had built with Julian. But I had promised to wait, so I stayed.
Her past promises echoed in my ears:
"Ethan! Before you came into my life, my world was a reckless mess! But the moment I met you, I knew you were the only one for me!"
"Even if it took forever for you to open your heart, I was determined to spend eternity with you. Forever and ever! I love you!"
How easily forever turns to dust.
I sat in the dark until midnight, only to receive Claire's cancellation text:
Ethan, stay at the villa alone tonight. Julian’s condition worsened, and I have to stay by his side.
I said nothing. I walked out of the villa and wandered aimlessly down the downtown promenade where Claire and I used to date.
And there, under the neon lights, I saw them.
I wanted to turn away, but my feet remained glued to the pavement, my heart refusing to let go without one last look.
"Claire, why didn't you just tell Ethan the truth? That you were coming shopping with me?"
"I’m dying soon. Is he really so petty that he’d hold a grudge against a dying man?"
Julian sounded hurt, his tone calculated to sow discord.
"Come on, Julian. I'm right here with you, aren't I? Don't be mad."
"I just didn't want Ethan to overthink. It was just a white lie. Didn't you want that new Rolex? I'll buy it for you right now."
The watch I had begged her to look at for months was being handed to Julian like a cheap trinket.
How completely pathetic I was.
Julian smiled, satisfied, though he still pouted. "Fine. But I'm still upset. Unless you kiss me."
Claire leaned in and pecked his lips. "There. Happy now?"
Julian wasn't satisfied. His breathing grew heavy as he pulled her closer.
"Claire... I want you tonight..."
"No! Your health is too fragile right now. What if something happens to you? If you really want to... wait until your checkup looks better."
Standing in the shadows, every shred of hope within me shattered.
I had seen enough.
Right then, my phone vibrated. A text from my mentor, Professor Reed:
Are you absolutely certain? This mission lasts twenty years. If the development hits roadblocks, it could take even longer. Are you truly ready to leave your little heiress behind?
Everyone in my circle knew how madly I had loved Claire.
She was my first love, the fire in my veins.
Now, she belonged to someone else.
I rubbed my tired face, texted back a single word—Yes—and powered off my phone.
As I turned to leave, a sharp gasp pierced the night.
"Ethan?! What are you doing here?!"My expression remained completely flat. "Just out for a walk. Aren't you two doing the same?"
Julian’s eyes flashed with venom, though his voice instantly turned fragile.
"Ethan... I'm on my deathbed. All I wanted was to spend some quiet time with Claire before I go."
"Why are you stalking us?"
I frowned, about to speak, but Claire cut in anxiously:
"Ethan, please. Julian only has one month left. You don't need to be jealous of him! I swear I'm coming back to remarry you in thirty days."
"Just go home, okay? I'll come see you tomorrow."
The silence in my heart was absolute. I didn't even bother to defend myself.
"I'm sorry. It won't happen again."
Because soon, I won't be here at all.
I turned and walked into the night. Claire froze, her mouth slightly open, watching my silhouette vanish into the dark without another word.
The next morning, she sent me a text:
Ethan, I'm so sorry. Julian had a sudden relapse. I'll need to stay at the hospital with him for the rest of the month.
I'll come find you the day he's discharged.
I typed a simple Okay and shut my phone off again.
One month from now, Claire, you will never see me again.
Over the next few weeks, I spent my days quietly wrapping up my affairs.
Perhaps out of lingering guilt, Claire occasionally bombarded my phone with sweet, overly affectionate texts.
Near the end of the month, she called me out of the blue, her voice bubbling with uncontainable joy:
"Ethan! It’s a miracle! Julian’s scans came back clear! The doctor said having me by his side gave him the will to beat the disease!"
"Love conquered all!"
Then, her tone grew slightly hesitant.
"The thing is... the doctor wants me to stay with him a little longer just to be safe."
"Our remarriage might have to wait a bit. But I managed to step away tonight to see you. Can I come over?"
Just as I expected. One month turned into another. And now she was "stepping away" just to grant me an audience.
Claire, if you don't love me anymore, why can't you just say it?
Why keep me dangling on your hook?
This time, I didn't say yes.
"No need. Stay with Julian. Tonight... I have plans. Come by tomorrow instead."
The naval transport ship for the Antarctic expedition was scheduled to depart tonight.
Once I boarded that vessel, I would become a ghost.
Twenty years off the grid, working on classified energy defense technology for the country.
And she would never find me.
My cold, indifferent tone ignited her temper.
"What plans could possibly be more important than seeing me?!"
"I went out of my way to get away from Julian just to be with you, and you're brushing me off—"
Without waiting for her to finish, I hung up.
I pulled on my long-neglected white lab coat, grabbed my single duffel bag, and walked out into the pouring rain.
The colossal research vessel loomed against the dark stormy waters.
HOOOOONK—!
The deep, rumbling horn echoed across the harbor.
Is this really goodbye, Claire?

Chapters (3)

Chapter 1   Chapter 2   Chapter 3

Chapter 1

My wife’s first love was critically ill and posted a single word on his Instagram Story: “Goodbye.” Claire, who was always so composed, completely lost her mind. She abandoned me while I was burning with a high fever and ran straight to his bedside. I was shivering violently, coughing until my lungs burned, spitting up streaks of blood. She didn't care. Instead, with tear-stained eyes, she begged me: "Ethan, Julian is dying. His final wish is to marry me. Can we just get a fake divorce for a little while? Please?" "I swear, as soon as he passes away, we’ll remarry immediately. We’ll spend the rest of our lives together, okay?" Looking at her, every ounce of warmth in my heart turned to ash. I gave a slow nod. What she didn't know was that my mentor had been urging me for months to join a top-secret Antarctic deep-research expedition. The moment our divorce was finalized, I officially signed the classified contract. Once I left, I wouldn’t return for twenty years. Stepping out of City Hall, Claire held our freshly stamped divorce decree with a trembling grip. "Ethan, the doctors gave Julian only one month to live." "Just let me stay by his side for this final month. The second it's over, I'll come back and remarry you, alright?" As she spoke, she pushed a thick folder into my hands. "I bought this luxury villa for you. Stay there for this month, okay?" I stared at the deed. My heart didn't even ripple. She was giving me this villa simply because she was bringing Julian into our home. She didn't want him to feel insecure or jealous if he ran into me. "No need. I'll find somewhere to crash. It’s only a month anyway." I shook my head and pushed the deed back toward her. Claire froze, her eyes brimming with guilt and affection. "No, Ethan. Even if it’s just for one month, I won’t let the man I love live like that." "Julian won’t be discharged until tomorrow. Tonight, let me come with you to the villa. Let me make it up to you, please?" Ignoring my refusal, Claire forced the deed back into my hands. Her eyes were so soft, almost melting into tears. She reached out, trying to hug me like she always did, but I stepped back, dodging her touch. Shock washed over her face, and tears welled in her eyes. "Ethan, you..." I simply pointed behind her. "Julian is here. If he sees you hugging me, he’s going to get jealous, isn’t he?" Claire breathed a quiet sigh of relief. Turning around, she frowned at Julian. "Julian? What are you doing here?" Julian was wearing a hospital gown, looking frail. But right in front of me, he leaned in and kissed Claire on the cheek. "Because I couldn’t wait another second to marry you." Julian cast a mocking, triumphant glance at me, but his voice sounded so humble and sweet: "Ethan, thank you. Thank you for letting me spend my final days with Claire." When Claire first demanded a divorce for Julian’s sake, I had already asked a friend at the hospital to pull his medical charts. His scans were clean. He was never sick. That was the moment I realized—his illness was just a convenient excuse for Claire to let me go. A bitter smile touched my lips, while the sorrow in my chest threatened to drown me. Claire, determined to play her part, shoved Julian back with genuine annoyance. "Didn't I tell you to wait for me at home? We were supposed to file our papers tomorrow!" "You know today is the day Ethan and I divorced. I promised to spend it with him!" Julian’s eyes flashed with resentment. He clutched his chest, putting on a pitiful, wounded act. "I tried to wait... but the pain was unbearable. I was terrified I’d die before I got to call you my wife." Tears trickled down his cheeks as he turned to me. "If Ethan has a problem with it, I’ll just leave. Don’t worry about me. I can handle dying alone." Claire immediately shot me an uncomfortable, hesitant look. Her lips parted, wanting to say something, but holding back. I knew that look. She was waiting for me to step aside. In the past, giving in had been second nature. Now, it felt like swallowing glass. I drew in a deep breath, burying the agony deep within me. "Go ahead." Relief instantly washed over Claire's face, replaced by a radiant smile. As if to compensate for her guilt, she grabbed my arm. "Ethan, haven't you always wanted that Rolex Daytona?" "I just wired two million dollars into your account. Buy whatever you want. I’m so sorry, baby. Just wait for me for one month, okay? Just one month." With that, she turned and walked into City Hall hand-in-hand with Julian. I watched her retreating back, the divorce papers heavy in my hands. A cold ache spread through my chest. Claire, is it really just one month? After this month, won't there be another? This wasn't the first time she had lied to me. A month ago, on our seventh wedding anniversary, she swore she would clear her schedule to celebrate with me. I woke up at three in the morning to hit the local market for the freshest ingredients. I spent months of my hard-earned savings to buy her a custom diamond-pendant necklace. Just as I finished setting up our candlelit dinner, she texted me claiming she was stuck working late at the office. An hour later, I saw Julian’s Instagram Story. Claire was at a VIP club, raising a champagne glass to celebrate his birthday. So this time was just another lie. Except I wasn't going to give her the chance to lie to me ever again. I lowered my head and texted my mentor. I accept the classified Antarctic expedition starting in one month. Even if it means I won't return for twenty years. The woman I loved had already abandoned me. It was time to go somewhere she could never find me. As I turned to leave, Claire suddenly ran out from the building and threw her arms around me. My instinct was to push her away, but I held back. "Ethan, please wait for me at the villa tonight, okay? I have so much to tell you." "I know I’ve hurt you. When this month is over, I promise I’ll give you the grandest surprise of your life." I masked the sorrow in my eyes, giving a faint nod. "Alright. I'll wait." I went back to our penthouse to pack my belongings for Antarctica. Over the years, she had given me plenty of gifts, and I had cherished every single one. Yet, the moment I reached the front door, I ran straight into Claire and Julian. Claire was wearing a pristine white wedding gown, smiling brightly as she held Julian’s hand like a radiant newlywed. In Julian's hand was their brand-new marriage certificate. "Are you two... heading out for wedding photos?" I remembered the day we got married. She had sworn that I would be the only man she ever wore white for. Now, that vow was shattered. She was wearing that white dress for Julian. My heart stung sharply. The smile on Claire's face froze the moment she saw me. Afraid of making Julian jealous, she stammered, "E-Ethan? Why are you here?" Right. This was their home now. Why was I here? I looked down with a self-deprecating smirk. "Just grabbing my things." I walked inside. In the hallway, I froze. My prestigious Rising Star in Science trophy—the highest honor of my early career—had been tossed callously into the trash can. My hands shook as I pulled it out. She knew better than anyone how much this meant to me. It was the award I had poured blood, sweat, and sleepless nights into winning. And she threw it away like garbage? Claire walked in behind me, her voice impatient. "Ethan, didn't I send you money? Just buy new stuff. It was time to toss out all that old junk anyway. Julian and I have a photo shoot booked, so can you please..." Before she could finish, I cut her off. "It's not junk." Claire seemed to have forgotten. This trophy was the witness of our love. The night I won it was the night I proposed to her. Without this academic prestige, her elite family would have never allowed her to marry a "nobody" like me. She knew what this trophy represented. She used to dust it off personally every single morning. And now, she had tossed it into the trash. Just like our marriage. Every remaining spark of love in my chest died. Without looking back, I offered a hollow blessing: "Congratulations on your wedding." Then, I walked away.

Chapter 2

Claire came from old money, and she had lived wild in her youth. When mutual friends first introduced us, I was shocked. A high-society heiress like her would never settle down with an ordinary researcher. Yet, she fell for me at first sight. She cut off all her wild connections, cleaned up her act, and gave me her undivided devotion. She even swore she would marry no one else, pursuing me relentlessly. Over time, I fell hopelessly in love with her. Now, we were in our seventh year of marriage. The vows she made back then had finally faded. It was time for me to walk away. Holding my trophy, I rode my motorcycle through the rain to the villa she had given me. I had promised to wait, and I always kept my word. The moment I pulled up to the gate, Claire’s FaceTime call came in. "Ethan, you left so fast earlier. I wanted to ask... could you stay inside the villa for this month and avoid coming to our old place? Julian is feeling insecure." Before I could answer, Julian’s voice chimed in the background: "Claire, babe, how do I unzip the back of your dress?" Claire panicked and abruptly hung up the call, desperate to hide what was about to happen. I let out a bitter, mocking chuckle. Our old place? I don't have a home anymore. I didn't have the key, and Claire hadn't given me the passcode. Of course. It was her wedding day. Why would she remember such trivial details? I punched in her birthday. The lock buzzed red. I tried her lucky numbers, her phone number, her social security digits. Nothing worked. One attempt left before the security system locked down completely. With zero hope, I casually punched in my own birthday, planning to call a locksmith right after. Click. The door unlocked. Claire had set my birthday as the passcode. Did she still love me, or was it just lingering habit? I went silent for a moment before pushing the door open. Inside, there were obvious signs that someone had been living here recently. I walked into the master bedroom. The silk sheets were tangled and tossed, and above the headboard hung an intimate framed photo of Claire and Julian. Scattered across the floor were several used condoms. Peach-scented—the exact scent I hated most. My fists clenched so tightly my nails bit into my palms. A sharp pain pierced straight through my chest. I spun around to leave, but the front door clicked open. A cleaning lady walked in, pausing in surprise. "Oh! Are you the new gentleman? You're here early!" "I haven't finished cleaning up the bedroom yet. Why don't you have a seat in the living room?" She was overly casual, offering me a glass of water before heading to the bedroom to clean. Looking at the mess, my throat tightened. "Does... this happen often?" The cleaning lady dumped the condoms and the photo into a black trash bag, replying without looking up: "Well, it's not my place to gossip... but you know how these ultra-rich folks are. Totally wild in bed." A heavy suffocating weight settled on my chest. Wild? Claire... had she betrayed me long before today? My chest felt bruised, but I sat on the living room sofa, waiting for Claire. Every fiber of my being screamed at me to storm out of this love nest she had built with Julian. But I had promised to wait, so I stayed. Her past promises echoed in my ears: "Ethan! Before you came into my life, my world was a reckless mess! But the moment I met you, I knew you were the only one for me!" "Even if it took forever for you to open your heart, I was determined to spend eternity with you. Forever and ever! I love you!" How easily forever turns to dust. I sat in the dark until midnight, only to receive Claire's cancellation text: Ethan, stay at the villa alone tonight. Julian’s condition worsened, and I have to stay by his side. I said nothing. I walked out of the villa and wandered aimlessly down the downtown promenade where Claire and I used to date. And there, under the neon lights, I saw them. I wanted to turn away, but my feet remained glued to the pavement, my heart refusing to let go without one last look. "Claire, why didn't you just tell Ethan the truth? That you were coming shopping with me?" "I’m dying soon. Is he really so petty that he’d hold a grudge against a dying man?" Julian sounded hurt, his tone calculated to sow discord. "Come on, Julian. I'm right here with you, aren't I? Don't be mad." "I just didn't want Ethan to overthink. It was just a white lie. Didn't you want that new Rolex? I'll buy it for you right now." The watch I had begged her to look at for months was being handed to Julian like a cheap trinket. How completely pathetic I was. Julian smiled, satisfied, though he still pouted. "Fine. But I'm still upset. Unless you kiss me." Claire leaned in and pecked his lips. "There. Happy now?" Julian wasn't satisfied. His breathing grew heavy as he pulled her closer. "Claire... I want you tonight..." "No! Your health is too fragile right now. What if something happens to you? If you really want to... wait until your checkup looks better." Standing in the shadows, every shred of hope within me shattered. I had seen enough. Right then, my phone vibrated. A text from my mentor, Professor Reed: Are you absolutely certain? This mission lasts twenty years. If the development hits roadblocks, it could take even longer. Are you truly ready to leave your little heiress behind? Everyone in my circle knew how madly I had loved Claire. She was my first love, the fire in my veins. Now, she belonged to someone else. I rubbed my tired face, texted back a single word—Yes—and powered off my phone. As I turned to leave, a sharp gasp pierced the night. "Ethan?! What are you doing here?!"

Chapter 3

My expression remained completely flat. "Just out for a walk. Aren't you two doing the same?" Julian’s eyes flashed with venom, though his voice instantly turned fragile. "Ethan... I'm on my deathbed. All I wanted was to spend some quiet time with Claire before I go." "Why are you stalking us?" I frowned, about to speak, but Claire cut in anxiously: "Ethan, please. Julian only has one month left. You don't need to be jealous of him! I swear I'm coming back to remarry you in thirty days." "Just go home, okay? I'll come see you tomorrow." The silence in my heart was absolute. I didn't even bother to defend myself. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again." Because soon, I won't be here at all. I turned and walked into the night. Claire froze, her mouth slightly open, watching my silhouette vanish into the dark without another word. The next morning, she sent me a text: Ethan, I'm so sorry. Julian had a sudden relapse. I'll need to stay at the hospital with him for the rest of the month. I'll come find you the day he's discharged. I typed a simple Okay and shut my phone off again. One month from now, Claire, you will never see me again. Over the next few weeks, I spent my days quietly wrapping up my affairs. Perhaps out of lingering guilt, Claire occasionally bombarded my phone with sweet, overly affectionate texts. Near the end of the month, she called me out of the blue, her voice bubbling with uncontainable joy: "Ethan! It’s a miracle! Julian’s scans came back clear! The doctor said having me by his side gave him the will to beat the disease!" "Love conquered all!" Then, her tone grew slightly hesitant. "The thing is... the doctor wants me to stay with him a little longer just to be safe." "Our remarriage might have to wait a bit. But I managed to step away tonight to see you. Can I come over?" Just as I expected. One month turned into another. And now she was "stepping away" just to grant me an audience. Claire, if you don't love me anymore, why can't you just say it? Why keep me dangling on your hook? This time, I didn't say yes. "No need. Stay with Julian. Tonight... I have plans. Come by tomorrow instead." The naval transport ship for the Antarctic expedition was scheduled to depart tonight. Once I boarded that vessel, I would become a ghost. Twenty years off the grid, working on classified energy defense technology for the country. And she would never find me. My cold, indifferent tone ignited her temper. "What plans could possibly be more important than seeing me?!" "I went out of my way to get away from Julian just to be with you, and you're brushing me off—" Without waiting for her to finish, I hung up. I pulled on my long-neglected white lab coat, grabbed my single duffel bag, and walked out into the pouring rain. The colossal research vessel loomed against the dark stormy waters. HOOOOONK—! The deep, rumbling horn echoed across the harbor. Is this really goodbye, Claire?

Watch & Promotions

About this novel