
Theater: NovelMaster | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
My wife cheated on me, and my son wasn’t mine. She told me herself on our wedding day.
Then, completely by chance, I discovered the boy shared my extremely rare Rh-negative blood type.
Behind her back, I took him for a paternity test. The result showed a 99.99% DNA match.
This proved the boy was indeed blood-related to me, yet he couldn't be my biological son. So who the hell was his real father? Could it be...?
My face drained of all color.
"Is this Leo's father, Jason Miller?"
"This is the children’s hospital. Your son took a bad fall at school and cut his head open. There’s severe bleeding, and he needs an emergency blood transfusion."
"You need to get down here immediately..."
At ten in the morning, my phone rang with this call, and my expression instantly darkened.
It wasn't worry or panic.
It was pure disgust.
"If it's about the kid, call his mother."
"Besides, I'm Rh-negative. What good is calling me? Doesn't your hospital have a blood bank?"
Annoyed, I snapped back and prepared to hang up.
Cole, who was driving the company car, glanced back at me. I could see the shock and bewilderment written across his face.
What kind of father reacts with cold irritation when hearing his own son is bleeding out?
The reason was simple.
Leo wasn't my biological child.
When my wife, Lily, first met me, she was already three months pregnant. She walked down the aisle with another man's baby growing in her belly.
I was nothing more than a pathetic chump stepping in to raise another man's kid.
"What kind of father are you? This is unbelievable!"
The doctor on the other end was clearly outraged, his voice sharpening. "If we had this blood type in stock, do you think we'd be wasting time calling you?"
"We just ran the lab tests. Leo is Rh-negative too! Get over here right now!"
With a loud click, the doctor slammed the phone down.
I froze on the spot.
Leo was Rh-negative too?
How could there be such an insane coincidence?
"Jason, kids get rowdy. It’s normal for them to take a tumble," Cole said, watching my expression carefully.
He tried to calm me down. "I get being strict, but the little guy is hurt. Let's make sure he's okay first."
"I'm not his damn father!"
My mind was spinning, and the words burst out before I could stop myself.
Catching myself, I looked at Cole. "Sorry, Cole. I didn't mean to snap at you... Let's just head to the hospital."
At the hospital, after the transfusion was complete, Leo fell asleep.
For the first time, I actually looked at his face closely. The more I stared, the more he looked like a mirror image of me.
Cole suddenly chimed in, "Man, Jason... the kid looks just like you. Seriously, a chip off the old block."
A wave of panic surged through my chest. I turned to the doctor. "Doctor, can you run a paternity test here?"
The doctor gave me a judging look. "Isn't his blood type enough proof?"
"Never mind that. Can you run the test or not?"
"We can't do it in-house," the doctor replied. "But we can send the samples to the state lab. The results take three days."
I rolled up my sleeves immediately. "Hair or blood? Take the samples now."
I watched the entire process like a hawk, right down to the sealing of the envelopes.
Just as everything was finished, Lily rushed in.
Her eyes were bloodshot, and tears stained her cheeks. She had clearly been crying the entire way.
The preschool teachers and director hurried over to apologize and comfort her.
I only gave her a cold look, called Cole, and walked out.
By the time we left the hospital, it was lunch hour.
Suffocating with frustration, I wanted a drink. Skipping the company cafeteria, I took Cole out to a local diner.
When the drinks arrived, I poured myself a shot of straight bourbon and knocked it back in one gulp.
Anyone could tell I was drinking away my misery.
"Take it easy, Jason. That stuff burns," Cole warned gently.
Then he asked cautiously, "Is the kid... really not yours? But that blood type... that's crazy rare, isn't it?"Rare? It wasn't just the blood type.
Looking at Leo’s face today had shaken me to my core.
That was the real reason panic was clawing at my chest.
Lily and I were set up on a blind date by our families.
At first, I really liked her.
Once both sides agreed, my mom didn't hesitate to pay for all the expensive wedding arrangements.
The wedding was scheduled for two weeks later—a total whirlwind rush.
It wasn't until days before the ceremony that Lily confessed she was already three months pregnant.
I was ambushed into being a stand-in dad.
In the days leading up to the wedding, I drank myself into a stupor every night, torn and agonized.
In the end, I chose to swallow the humiliation and go through with it.
My mom had just been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I couldn't risk shocking her and worsening her condition.
After the wedding, I treated Lily like ice.
Once the boy was born, I barely lifted a finger for him.
The child was a living insult to my pride as a man.
I despised him. I hated hearing him call me "Daddy."
He was three now, already in preschool.
Yet in three years, I had never taken him to a playground.
I had never played a single game with him.
Sometimes, when I was drinking at home and he tried to hug my leg, I would bark at him to get the hell away from me.
So he grew up distant, terrified of me.
I never felt a shred of guilt.
He wasn't mine. I owed him nothing.
I even thought of myself as generous.
He was a permanent stain on my dignity. Giving him a roof over his head without abusing him was already charity...
Yet everything that happened today shattered my peace of mind.
A cold dread gripped me.
If Leo wasn't my son, why did he share my rare blood type? Why did he look so damn much like me?
Three days flew by.
Leo was discharged. It was just a minor cut that required three stitches.
Over those three days, I didn't ask about his condition once.
Lily didn't say a word either.
After three years, this was our normal routine.
In our home, mother and son lived their lives, and I lived mine.
We were like strangers sharing an apartment.
The second I clocked off work, I rushed to the hospital to pick up the test results.
I brought Cole along.
Among my coworkers, Cole drove with me on field calls all the time, so we were the closest.
He already knew about the paternity test anyway.
The truth was, I brought him because my nerves were completely shot.
I didn't open the envelope right away.
Cole and I sat down at a quiet bar, ordered some food, and only then did I tear open the seal.
Cole leaned in, dying of curiosity.
The moment the paper unfolded before our eyes,
Cole broke into a wide grin.
I, on the other hand, went dead white. A chill crept straight up my spine...
The result was crystal clear!
Probability of paternity: 99.99%!
Biologically, undeniably, he was my son.
Yet this was the one outcome that made zero sense—the one truth I couldn't accept.
My brain exploded with a roar.
I sat there, paralyzed, mumbling like a madman, "No... this is impossible. Where... where did it go wrong?""See? It's right there in black and white! How could there be a mistake?"
Cole beamed, looking happier than if it were his own kid. "Stop overthinking, Jason! The boy looks like your clone, the blood type matched, and now DNA confirms it. What doubt could there possibly be?"
"I told you, he isn't my son. He *can't* be!"
My expression turned deadly serious as I reiterated the facts etched into my mind: "Lily and I met on a blind date. We married two weeks later."
"Days before the wedding, she told me straight to my face that she was three months pregnant."
"The timeline proved it. Seven months after the wedding, Leo was born."
"I told everyone he was premature, but he was full-term!"
Cole's jaw dropped. His eyes glazed over.
His brain was frying faster than mine.
After several minutes of stunned silence, he asked weakly, "Jason... are you sure you didn't know her before?"
"Are you suggesting I hooked up with her before the blind date, knocked her up, and forgot?"
I glared at him. "Would *you* fail to recognize a girl you slept with just three months later?"
I stood up abruptly. "The lab screwed up. I'm getting another test."
"Wait, hold on..."
Cole grabbed my arm. "Jason, hear me out. Don't get mad, okay?"
"Could the issue be somewhere else?"
"Think about it. The boy looks just like you, has your rare Rh-negative blood, and you watched them seal the samples with your own eyes."
"A lab error is practically impossible."
"And since you're positive she was pregnant before you met... is there any chance... could the boy belong to your brother?"
I understood his logic.
Except that was biologically impossible—an uncle's DNA wouldn't show a 99.99% direct paternal match.
More importantly: I didn't have a brother.
I shot him a deadpan look. "I only have an older sister."
"Oh. No brothers, huh?"
Cole paused, then trailed off, "Then... what about your dad?"
He didn't dare finish the sentence because it was too insulting.
I saw right through it and snapped, "My dad passed away eight years ago."
"Sorry, man! I didn't mean it like that!"
Caught red-handed, Cole blushed red and waved his hands frantically.
Then, he scratched his head. "Well, if that's off the table, there's only one explanation left."
"Have you heard of the multiverse theory? Parallel dimensions?"
"If you're sure Leo isn't yours, maybe an alternate version of you from another universe used advanced sci-fi tech to cross dimensions and knock up your wife..."
Was this guy out of his mind?
Or had he read way too much trash web fiction?
I stared at him in utter disbelief.
A group of four customers sitting ten feet away couldn't take it anymore. They grabbed their plates and moved across the room, glancing at us like we belonged in a psych ward...I went silent, knitting my brows and chugging my drink.
Cole was still running on overdrive, spitting out wild theories like a man possessed:
"Jason, before marriage... did you ever mess around with escorts?"
"Always use protection, man. What if one of them kept the baby?"
"Okay, okay, another theory."
"Do you watch K-dramas? You had girlfriends before marriage, right?"
"Could one of them have gotten pregnant, refused to accept the breakup, flew to Korea for complete plastic surgery, and came back disguised as Lily?"
"Or... did you ever donate to a sperm bank?"
Cole's wild imagination was boundless.
Only when my glare turned murderous did he finally shut his mouth.
None of those theories made any sense.
I wasn't a saint, but I never slept around.
As for ex-girlfriends:
I had three before marriage.
All three were living normal lives in town. None had vanished into thin air, and none had turned into Lily.
And donating sperm? Ridiculous. I was never that adventurous.
No matter how hard I racked my brain, I hit a dead end.
I was completely lost.
Since I couldn't find answers on my own, I had to confront Lily.
When I got home, she was putting Leo to bed.
Once the boy was asleep, I stepped out of the study.
Lily seemed to sense the tension and sat down on the living room sofa.
I looked at her coldly. "Who is Leo’s real father? Why haven't you ever mentioned him?"
"You never cared about him before. We've been married almost four years. Why ask now?"
She looked at me with what felt like bitter satisfaction. "His father is scum. A monster. He’ll rot in hell sooner or later!"
In the past, those words wouldn't have bothered me.
I might have even felt some dark vindication.
Yet tonight, armed with that DNA report, those words stung like venom.
It felt like she was cursing *me*.
"You didn't answer my question. I want a straight answer," I pressed, losing my patience. "I gave him blood at the hospital the other day. In case you didn't know, I'm Rh-negative. And so is Leo!"
"Everyone says he looks exactly like me. Like a carbon copy."
Lily seemed to catch on.
She gave me a bizarre look, then let out a cold, mocking laugh. "Ha. You think he's yours? Did you forget what I told you before the wedding? I was already three months pregnant!"
"Then explain this!"
Snapping, I pulled the DNA report from my pocket and slammed it onto the glass table.
Chapters (4)
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Watch & Promotions
- Search this code in the NovelMaster app:
504264Open NovelMaster → Search code → Find the title