
Theater: GoodNovel | Language: English
Synopsis
My best friend is known throughout the school as a woman of integrity. So, when she's offered a coveted spot in Austin University's special admissions list, she rejects it in front of the principal, our homeroom teacher, and the top students in our grade.
She explains, "I've worked hard for all these years just to take the college entrance exam fairly. Taking a shortcut like this would just be unfair to me and everyone who has been preparing for the exam."
Everyone is moved by her words.
However, I know something they don't. Yesterday, she was clutching the admissions brochure in our dorm room. She was so excited that she didn't sleep at all. She refused only because she wanted the school, the teachers, and her classmates to beg her to take it.
Unfortunately for her, when the principal asks her about it one more time, I raise my hand and say, "Sir, if she doesn't want to accept the offer, I'll take it instead."
The entire room becomes silent.
Her self-righteous facade nearly crumbles, but she forces herself to persuade me, "Nina, you can't take something that doesn't belong to you just because you want to avoid taking the college entrance exam."
Yet, I laugh at her words. I retort, "It doesn't belong to me? If a certain someone is refusing a huge opportunity out of false modesty, it should go to someone who actually wants it."
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
My best friend is known throughout the school as a woman of integrity. So, when she's offered a coveted spot in Austin University's special admissions list, she rejects it in front of the principal, our homeroom teacher, and the top students in our grade.
She explains, "I've worked hard for all these years just to take the college entrance exam fairly. Taking a shortcut like this would just be unfair to me and everyone who has been preparing for the exam."
Everyone is moved by her words.
However, I know something they don't. Yesterday, she was clutching the admissions brochure in our dorm room. She was so excited that she didn't sleep at all. She refused only because she wanted the school, the teachers, and her classmates to beg her to take it.
Unfortunately for her, when the principal asks her about it one more time, I raise my hand and say, "Sir, if she doesn't want to accept the offer, I'll take it instead."
The entire room becomes silent.
Her self-righteous facade nearly crumbles, but she forces herself to persuade me, "Nina, you can't take something that doesn't belong to you just because you want to avoid taking the college entrance exam."
Yet, I laugh at her words. I retort, "It doesn't belong to me? If a certain someone is refusing a huge opportunity out of false modesty, it should go to someone who actually wants it."
Chapter 1
On the day the special admissions list was announced, Zoey Shenton stood in the center of the assembly room.
Our principal, Josiah Manson, had just finished announcing her name, and the applause had not yet died down when she rose to her feet.
"Mr. Manson, Ms. Williams, I'd like to give up this spot," she said.
The assembly room fell silent. Our homeroom teacher, Elena Williams, looked serious. She said, "Zoey, just sit down first. This is no laughing matter."
Yet, Zoey didn't listen to Ms. Williams. She wore a faded school uniform jacket, and her long hair was in a low ponytail.
Her expression was earnest as she replied, "I'm not joking around. Austin University is something countless students dream of attending. I know how valuable this opportunity is. But I can't accept it."
Harper Collins, the head of academic affairs, was stunned. She asked, "Why?"
Zoey looked down. Her voice wasn't loud, but it was clear enough for everyone to hear. "I didn't work hard for all these years just to avoid the college entrance exam. The exam is meant to be fair. It's a test every student should take.
"If I run away just because I've been given a special admission spot, my years of hard work would go to waste. What about everyone else who's still studying tirelessly at night?"
Her eyes turned red at this point. She continued, "Just because I have good grades doesn't mean I can take special privileges for granted."
Some teachers in the room sighed, visibly moved. The student representatives' expressions also shifted from shock to admiration.
However, I knew something they didn't.
The night before, she had been tossing and turning in her dorm bed, clutching Austin University's admissions brochure. Even after the lights were turned off, she was still reading it with her phone flashlight.
She whispered to me, "Nina, if I get into Austin University, does that mean I'll be able to work on lab projects right away? I heard students in the program can join research teams in their sophomore year. If a supervisor takes a liking to me, I might even be able to publish a paper before I graduate."
Her eyes had lit up with excitement. Yet today, she was saying she didn't want to enjoy such a privilege.
I sat in the corner, slowly tightening my grip on my pen.
Mr. Manson frowned and said, "Zoey, the school nominated you for this spot based on your overall academic performance over the past high school years, your achievements in competitions, and the results of your interview.
"It isn't some unfair privilege. Austin University has already given us a formal response. Just sign the confirmation form, and you'll be admitted early."
Zoey shook her head gently and said, "Mr. Manson, I appreciate your good intentions. But I still want to take the college entrance exam. I want to join Austin University with my own scores, fair and square."
Fair and square, she said?
As she said those words, she casually looked over at me.
I suddenly remembered the city team selection for last month's competition. She and I had been separated by just one point.
After the competition, she hugged me and said, "Nina, you're actually more suited to researching than I am. You just get nervous too easily."
However, the next day, in the school's recommendation document, she took credit for the modeling work I had helped complete.
I went to confront her, but she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "Aren't we best friends? Why are you being so particular about this?"
Later, she made the city team, and I became her substitute. She won the gold medal, while I could only applaud for her from below the stage.
Even this time, the special admission spot went to her.
Chapter 2
I thought Zoey would be happy. Of course, she was. She just wanted everyone to know that she wasn't someone who would take advantage of this special treatment. She wanted everyone to beg her not to be stubborn.
She wanted them to tell her to accept the opportunity for the sake of the school, her teachers, and her parents. She wanted them to convince her to reluctantly take an opportunity that countless others would give anything for.
As expected, Ms. Williams tried to persuade her. "Zoey, don't be rash. This isn't about avoiding the college entrance exam. You earned this opportunity through your own efforts."
Zoey looked down and said sadly, "Ms. Williams, I know you mean well, but this just doesn't sit right with me."
Ms. Collins also chimed in, "Not everyone can have this spot. If you give it up, the school will have to contact Austin University."
Zoey bit her lip sadly. "If my decision causes trouble for the school, I'll take responsibility for it."
The moment she said that, silence filled the assembly room once more.
I saw her fingers beneath the table, quietly gripping the hem of her clothes.
She was waiting. She wanted Mr. Manson to tell her the spot belonged only to her. No one else could have it. She wanted Ms. Williams to tell her she was truly exceptional and that the school couldn't afford to lose her.
She wanted everyone to look at her with admiration and sympathy and urge her to accept the special admission spot.
However, Mr. Manson said nothing. He pinched the bridge of his nose and then flipped through the documents on the desk.
He explained, "According to the terms Austin University had set, if the first candidate declines their offer, the offer can go to the student ranked second in the assessment."
My heart skipped a beat. The student ranked second in the assessment was none other than me. Many people in the room also caught on, and they immediately looked over at me.
Zoey's expression shifted. She turned to look at me, the shock in her eyes almost impossible to hide.
Mr. Manson looked at me. "Nina, your competition results, academic performance, and interview score also meet the requirements. If Zoey chooses to give up the spot, the school can contact Austin University and have it offered to you instead. But whether you want it is up to you."
I heard Zoey suck in a quiet breath. She looked at me with a hint of warning in her eyes.
I remained in a daze for a few seconds. Then, I raised my hand. "Okay, I'll take the spot."
The assembly room fell completely silent.
Zoey finally lost her composure. She looked at me in disbelief. "Nina?"
I stood up, my voice steadier than I had expected. "If Zoey truly believes that there's no point in taking this spot, I'll take it instead. I want to go to Austin University. I want to join a research lab.
"I don't think this is a shortcut, and I don't think there's anything shameful about accepting an opportunity I've earned through my own hard work."
Mr. Manson looked at me. There was a hint of surprise in his eyes.
Ms. Williams paused for a moment. Then, she nodded. "Your grades are also good enough."
Ms. Collins flipped through her documents and said, "She has strong mathematical modeling skills, and the interviewers from Austin University were also quite impressed with her."
Zoey finally couldn't help but speak up. "But Mr. Manson, aren't you being a bit too hasty?"
Chapter 3
Everyone looked over at Zoey.
She then realized she had overreacted and immediately softened her tone. "I just mean that Nina might not be ready yet. She's always said she wants to take the college entrance exam to prove herself. If she suddenly accepts a direct admission now, could it be because she's too nervous and wants to avoid the exam?"
I almost laughed out loud at her words. She really knew how to get under someone else's skin.
In my third year in school, I had done poorly on my first major exam and only came in seventh in my grade.
Back then, she patted my shoulder and comforted me, "Nina, it's okay. You just don't handle pressure well."
After that, quite a few people in our grade knew that I was good at studying, but I tended to fall apart during major exams. Little did they know that the day before that exam, Zoey had borrowed my notebook and promised to return it that night.
She didn't give it back to me until ten minutes before the exam. She said apologetically, "Sorry, I fell asleep while going through it last night."
I really had fallen apart that day, but it wasn't because of the exam. It was because, for the first time, I realized that even my best friend could betray me at any moment.
I looked at Zoey and asked, "When did I ever say I wanted to prove myself by taking the college entrance exam?"
Zoey was stunned.
I continued, "I've always wanted to go to Austin University. If I have a chance to get in through a recommendation, why would I refuse? Do I really have to go through the college entrance exam just to prove that I earned my place fair and square?"
Zoey's face paled, and she answered, "Nina, that's not what I meant."
Yet, I didn't let her off the hook. I continued, "You just said that accepting that offer is unfair to everyone else who's taking the college entrance exam. If that's how you feel, I respect that. But I don't feel the same way.
"I don't think my classmates will do any worse on the college entrance exam just because I accepted the offer, nor will they get into a better university just because I gave it up. I'll decide whether I want to take an opportunity. If you want to give it up, that's your problem."
Someone in the room chuckled.
Zoey teared up even more. She cried, "How could you say that to me? I just want you to think it through so you won't regret it later."
I nodded. "I've thought it through. I won't regret it."
Mr. Manson finally made the call. "Since Zoey insists on giving up the spot, and Nina is willing to accept it, the school will contact Austin University's admissions office to request that the offer be given to the latter."
Zoey whipped around to look at him. "Mr. Manson, I…"
Mr. Manson raised a hand to interrupt her. "Zoey, this is a serious decision. You made it very clear just now that you wanted to give up the offer. The school respects your decision."
Her lips parted, but she couldn't say a word.
I saw the panic in her eyes. At that moment, I understood. She wasn't being kind at all. She had just never expected that I, who had always stood by her side and praised her, would one day step up and take what she had refused.
That very night, the news that I had taken the admission offer spread through the grade-level group chat.
"Nina really knows how to take advantage of an opportunity."
"She immediately took the offer when Zoey turned it down. That's pretty opportunistic."
"What's wrong with that? If it were me, I'd take it too."
"But Zoey has a point. Taking the college entrance exam is fairer."
"Well, as long as Zoey doesn't regret giving it up, it's fine."
When I looked at those messages, I didn't reply.
However, Zoey posted an update on her social media. There was no picture. She had only written a sentence. "Some roads may be difficult, but I want to see them through with a clear conscience."
The post had many likes.
Our mutual friend, Winnie Lind, commented on it, saying, "Zoey, you really have integrity."
Our class monitor commented, "I respect your choice. Good luck with the college entrance exam. Austin University lies ahead of you."
Zoey replied. "Thank you. I believe what's truly meant for me will never slip away."
Chapter 4
When I saw Zoey's comment, I chuckled. So, she still believed she deserved that admission spot. It was just temporarily in my hands.
Not long after, she sent me a message. "Nina, are you asleep?"
I replied to her. "No."
She quickly sent a long message.
"I didn't mean to blame you for what happened in the assembly room today. I just thought that accepting that spot so suddenly might have been a bit impulsive.
"I know you've been under a lot of pressure lately, and I know you really want to beat me at least once. But a recommended admission isn't something to take lightly. Are you really going to give up the college entrance exam just because your pride got the better of you for a moment?"
I stared at the screen, feeling disgusted at her words. She was always like this. She always spoke gently, as if she were thinking of others. Yet, every word made me feel smaller.
I replied, "Zoey, I didn't accept the offer to beat you. I did it for myself."
She remained silent for a long time. Then, she sent one more message. "Then, I hope you won't regret it."
I replied. "Good luck on the college entrance exam."
She didn't reply again.
…
The next morning, I had barely stepped into the classroom for self-study when I noticed that something was off.
Zoey sat in the front row with tears in her eyes. A math test paper sat on her desk.
Winnie was sitting beside her as she deliberately raised her voice. "Zoey, you're just too kind. A certain someone may have taken your admission spot, but she actually has started to believe it's hers."
Zoey said softly, "Don't say that. Nina was just seizing an opportunity."
Winnie sneered, "Seizing an opportunity? She still has to see whether Austin University will agree."
She deliberately looked my way and raised her voice even more. "It's not like anyone can just claim a recommendation spot so quickly.
"Zoey, you're on a whole different level. You're a gold medalist, you ranked first in the entire grade, and you've been personally recognized by professors from Austin University.
"What about a certain someone? She may do well in normal exams, but when it really matters, the difference between you two is enormous."
Some people in the classroom laughed.
Others also chimed in.
"Exactly. The school might allow the offer to be passed on, but that doesn't mean Austin University will agree."
"This isn't a handout. You can't just take it because you want it."
"Nina was a bit too hasty. What if Austin University refuses her proposal? That'd be so awkward."
"Then, the offer will just go back to Zoey anyway."
Winnie immediately chimed in, "The offer was always meant for Zoey. Some people can grab an opportunity as quickly as they want, but that doesn't mean they have what it takes to hold on to it."
Zoey kept her head down. She gripped the corner of the test paper, but still tried to smooth things over. "Don't say that. Nina might have just acted on impulse."
I put down my schoolbag and walked over to their table.
Winnie looked up at me, and there was a provocative look on her face. "What? Did I say something wrong?"
I looked over at Zoey and asked, "Is that what you think too?"
Zoey looked up at me. Her eyes were still red, but she still sounded innocent as she said, "Of course not, Nina. I'm just worried that you'll get your hopes up, only to be disappointed in the end. After all, Austin University still hasn't officially responded."
Winnie sneered, "Hear that? Zoey is even trying to spare you the embarrassment. If I were you, I'd lay low for now. Don't go around acting like you're actually getting that recommended admission."
I nodded. "Go ahead and wait for their response."
Just then, the classroom door was pushed open. Ms. Williams stood in the doorway. She had a document in her hand, and her expression was difficult to read.
The classroom immediately fell silent. Everyone immediately looked over at her.
Ms. Williams looked at Zoey first. "Zoey, come with me for a moment."
The atmosphere in the classroom changed instantly.
Winnie's eyes lit up, and she immediately nudged Zoey. "I knew it! Austin University must have refused to pass the offer on, so they're having Zoey sign the papers again!"
Some students in the back row chimed in with teasing remarks.
"Looks like the spot is going to Zoey after all."
"That's to be expected. Austin University isn't stupid."
"With someone at Zoey's level, no student who came in second could possibly replace her."
Zoey slowly stood up. She adjusted the cuffs on her school uniform. When she looked up again, the anguish in her eyes had faded, replaced by an unmistakable look of triumph.
When she passed by me, she paused for a moment. Then, she looked at me with a smile. It was as if something that was never meant to be mine would eventually return to her.
Winnie burst out laughing. "A certain someone spent the whole night thinking she had gotten the spot. In the end, she still had to give it back."
I remained silent.
Zoey reached the door and asked sweetly, "Ms. Williams, has Austin University gotten back to us?"
Ms. Williams glanced at her and replied, "Yeah."
A smile crept onto Zoey's lips. She reached out to take the documents from Ms. Williams.
However, a second later, Ms. Williams stepped aside and looked over at me. "Nina, why are you still sitting there?"
- Search this code in the GoodNovel app:
R79170 Open GoodNovel → Search code → Find the title