ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

Left For Dead, I Deafened My Heart To His Regrets

NovelMaster · English · Theater: NovelMaster, Lang: English, Genre: Realistic ·

Left For Dead, I Deafened My Heart To His Regrets

Theater: NovelMaster  |  Language: English  |  NEW

Synopsis

My daughter was burning with a high fever, unconscious in my arms as I stumbled into the emergency room.
I ran straight into my husband, Julian, and my parents.
Instead of helping, Julian grabbed me by the hair, kicked me to the floor, and tore my baby from my grip.
"Arrest this woman! She’s trying to kidnap this child!"
Blood gushed down my forehead. I clung desperately to my mother's leg.
"Mom! It’s me, Nora! Please, save Mia!"
My mother kicked me off with utter disgust, shouting to the gathering crowd.
"We don't know this psycho!"
I rotted in a jail cell for seven agonizing days before my lawyer finally pulled security footage to bail me out.
My heart ached for my daughter, but the moment I stepped outside, my lawyer handed me a screenshot that froze me in my tracks.
In the photo, my younger sister, Chloe, was holding my daughter, smiling brightly, celebrating how their "little family of three" was finally reunited after everything they had been through.
My lawyer sighed with pity.
"Your sister Chloe was diagnosed with severe depression due to infertility. She attempted suicide."
"Julian and your parents discussed it. They decided the only way to save Chloe is to have her adopt Mia and cut you out of the picture entirely."
"They said you're a resilient adult who can endure it, but Chloe won't survive another breakdown."
Touching the fresh, unstitched gash on my forehead, I burst into bitter laughter.
Giving away your own flesh and blood just to coddle her? Your favoritism truly knows no bounds.
"Done throwing a tantrum? Get in the car if you are."
Julian rolled down the car window, his brow furrowed.
"Chloe made nourishing soup for you at home. Her health is fragile, so make sure you apologize to her the second you walk through the door."
I touched the jagged, throbbing wound across my forehead.
The relentless buzzing from the cell still rang in my ears.
Attorney Evans stood beside me, awkwardly tucking his phone away.
"Mr. Hayes, Mrs. Hayes needs to see a doctor. The jail physician said her auditory nerve might be damaged."
"It's just a bump. Adults don't whine over every scratch," Julian cut him off impatiently.
"Chloe’s wrists just scabbed over. She can’t handle any stress right now."
"Stop playing the victim, Nora."
I pulled open the back door and sat down in silence.
Julian glanced at me in the rearview mirror, seemingly satisfied with my submissiveness.
"Mia has been very happy with Chloe these past few days."
"Chloe can’t have children. As her older sister, letting her adopt Mia is the best choice for this family."
"Once Chloe is emotionally stable, I’ll take you to Iceland to see the Northern Lights. Didn't you always want to go?"
I looked down at the dried blood caked under my fingernails.
Iceland.
Three years ago, I shattered both my legs in a car crash trying to shield him. As I lay in the hospital bed, he wept and made that promise.
Later, he became too busy.
Too busy flying Chloe to beach resorts to cheer her up.
Too busy flying Chloe to Paris for fashion week.
"Okay. Where's the adoption agreement?"
"I'll sign it."
Silence fell over the car.
"Nora, you finally came to your senses."
Julian exhaled a sigh of relief, his tone noticeably lighter.
"I knew you weren't that selfish."
"I’ve already told Mom and Dad. We’re having a family dinner tonight to celebrate."
I didn't reply. I just turned my face to the window.
The ringing in my right ear grew louder and sharper.
The moment I walked into the house, Mia’s eyes lit up.
"Mommy!"
She instinctively started running toward me.
Chloe immediately pulled her back into a tight embrace, her body trembling slightly.
"Nora... you're back."
My mother rushed over and shoved me backward without hesitation.
"How dare you show your face! If Chloe hadn't begged Julian to drop the charges, you'd still be rotting behind bars!"
I stumbled back, my spine slamming into the doorframe. The impact sent a jolt of agony through my split forehead.
Julian stepped forward, resting a protective hand on Chloe's shoulder.
"Nora, don't scare her."
I steadied myself and looked at the grotesque scene before me.
"Where are the papers?"
My mother froze.
Chloe forgot to cry, staring at me blankly.
My father rose from the sofa, his eyes narrow with suspicion.
"The adoption agreement," I repeated, my voice flat.
"Bring it here. I'll sign."
Julian pulled a folder from his briefcase and handed it over.
"I'm glad you understand."
"Chloe will be Mia's mother from now on. You'll still be her aunt. Nothing really changes."
As I scribbled my signature, Julian watched with a flicker of unease in his eyes.
It was almost as if things were going too smoothly to believe.
"Since it’s signed, sit down and eat," my mother muttered, clearing her throat.
"Chloe specifically saved you the pork stew you love."
I looked at the bowl on the table, covered in a thick, congealed layer of grease.
I had been allergic and nauseated by heavy lard since childhood; one sip would make me vomit.
The one who loved that greasy stew had always been Chloe.
"No thanks."
I turned toward the stairs.
At the landing, I stopped and looked back at Julian.
"The agreement takes effect next week, right?"
"Yes. The legal process takes a few days," Julian nodded.
I looked away and continued up the stairs.
One week.
More than enough time to settle everything and erase myself from their lives forever."Is Nora still mad at me?"
Chloe’s tearful voice drifted from downstairs.
"Ignore her! She’s always been like this—spiteful, never able to stand seeing you happy," my mother sneered.
"You’re Mia’s mother now. You don’t need to walk on eggshells around her."
"But... Mia still seems to want Nora."
"Don't overthink it. You're Mia's only mother."
I shut the bedroom door, cutting off the noise.
The room was a mess. The parenting books on my nightstand were gone, replaced by Chloe's curated display of collectible designer dolls.
Half my closet had been cleared out to hang Chloe’s vibrant dresses.
I walked to the vanity and pulled open the bottom drawer for my ID and documents.
A sharp pain stabbed my right ear.
I took the antibiotics given by the jail clinic and swallowed them dry.
The door opened.
Julian walked in carrying the bowl of pork stew, shutting the door behind him.
"Why didn't you come down to eat?"
He came up behind me, habitually reaching to wrap his arms around my waist.
I sidestepped his touch.
His hands froze in midair, his forehead creasing.
"Still sulking?"
"Nora, you were never this petty."
"I'm not angry," I muttered numbly, shaking my head.
"Then finish the soup." He pointed at the greasy bowl.
"Chloe made it herself. Her wrists are still bandaged, but she stood in the kitchen all afternoon just to welcome you home."
"I said, I don't want it."
Julian's expression darkened.
"Do you really have to be so hostile?"
"Every day you spent in that cell, Chloe drowned in guilt! She couldn't even take sleeping pills because she was terrified of having nightmares about you suffering!"
"So?" I looked straight into his eyes.
"Should I drop to my knees and thank her for putting me in jail?"
Julian took a deep breath, forcing down his temper.
"What happened at the hospital was a misunderstanding. You charged in with your hair disheveled and wild. Mom and Dad didn't recognize you, and I panicked..."
"You panicked, so you kicked me down the stairs and accused me of being a child kidnapper?"
A flicker of guilt flashed in Julian’s eyes.
"I didn't mean to. Chloe had just been diagnosed with severe depression. My mind was completely overwhelmed."
"Besides, you came back in one piece, didn't you?"
In one piece.
I touched the bandage on my forehead.
His kick had sent me tumbling down the concrete steps.
Blood had blinded my eyes as I begged my mother to save Mia.
And my mother had kicked me away, screaming to the crowd that she didn't know me.
"Alright, it's in the past. Stop dragging it up."
Seeing my silence, Julian pulled a velvet box from his pocket and offered it to me.
"There's an executive overseas training spot opening next month. I originally planned to give it to you."
"But given Chloe's mental state, she needs a change of scenery. I gave it to her."
Inside the box was an older-model designer bracelet, noticeably too small.
"This is to make it up to you. Come on, stop making a fuss."
I stared at the bracelet without reaching out.
It was the exact piece Chloe had complained about on Ins last month, whining that her wrists were too thick to wear it.
"What? You don't like it?" Julian asked, his patience wearing thin.
I reached out and took the box.
Julian sighed in relief and ruffled my hair.
"Good girl. Be sensible, and life will be easier for everyone."
He turned toward the door, then paused as if remembering something.
"By the way, Mia has been crying through the night lately, and Chloe can't stay up late in her condition."
"Sleep in the guest room tonight. Don't wake them."
The door clicked shut.
I tossed the velvet box straight into the trash can.
Pulling out my phone, I booked a one-way flight to Switzerland three days from now.
There was a specialized hospital there for nerve deafness.
I didn't need his training spot, nor his hand-me-down jewelry.
All I wanted was to disappear.The next morning, the living room was bustling.
I walked downstairs carrying a black trash bag.
Inside were the few personal belongings I had left in this house.
"Julian, this pink dress will look gorgeous on Mia," Chloe cooed, holding a gown against Mia.
Julian sat on the sofa, his gaze tender.
My parents were grinning from ear to ear.
"Chloe is so thoughtful—unlike some people who only know how to bury their noses in books," my mother said, shooting a pointed glare at me.
I ignored them and walked toward the entrance.
"Hold on."
Julian raised an eyebrow and called after me.
"Where are you going?"
"Taking out the trash." I raised the black bag.
"Come straight back once you're done," Julian frowned.
"Chloe is hosting a banquet today to celebrate Mia's adoption. As her aunt, you need to be there."
"I have errands to run. I can't make it." I slipped into my shoes.
Julian's voice grew stern.
"Chloe kindly invited you. Do you really have to embarrass everyone?"
"It's okay, Julian. If Nora doesn't want to come, let her be." Chloe tugged at his sleeve, her eyes brimming with tears.
"I know... Nora still hates me for taking Mia..."
"What does she have to be bitter about?!" My mother jumped up, pointing a finger at my face.
"If your sister weren't infertile, would this blessing ever have landed on your lap?"
"Instead of being grateful, you wear that sullen face every damn day!"
Twenty-five years ago, Chloe and I were born minutes apart.
Because Chloe was born three minutes later and weaker, my mother gave every drop of her breast milk to her.
I survived on diluted rice porridge.
Growing up, whatever Chloe wanted, I had to give up.
Including Julian.
Years ago, when Julian went bankrupt, Chloe bought an overnight ticket and fled the country.
I worked three jobs, covered his medical bills, and stood by him until he rebuilt his empire.
When he finally reached the top, Chloe returned, weeping that she had depression.
Without a second thought, Julian welcomed her back—and now, he was handing my daughter over to her on a silver platter.
"I'm not going."
"Enjoy your lunch."
I pushed open the front door and walked out, ignoring the curses and breaking glass behind me.
I headed straight to the property registry to put my pre-marital apartment up for urgent sale.
My phone buzzed with a bank notification.
Julian had spent fifteen thousand dollars at a luxury children's boutique.
Moments later, Chloe updated her Ins story.
The photo showed her and Julian holding Mia between them in the grand ballroom of the city's most prestigious hotel.
*“Through storms and trials, our little family is finally whole. Blessed to have you.”*
Then, an unknown number flashed on my screen.
"Is this Mrs. Hayes? This is the Children's Hospital."
My heart clenched.
"Yes, speaking."
"Your daughter Mia’s follow-up lab results are in. Her previous febrile seizure triggered myocarditis. She needs immediate hospitalization and intensive treatment."
"She cannot undergo any physical exhaustion or emotional stress. We’ve been trying to reach your husband, but his line is busy."
Panic surged through me. I stood up and dialed Julian’s number.
Busy.
I dialed again and again. Still busy.
I called my parents. Both disconnected my calls immediately.
To ensure I wouldn't ruin Chloe's celebration, they had blocked every avenue of communication.
I sprinted into the street, flagged a cab, and sped toward the hotel.
The ringing in my right ear shrieked, and my vision blurred.
By the time I rushed into the ballroom, Julian was standing at the podium, delivering a heartfelt toast.
I pushed through the crowd, my eyes darting frantically across the room.
Finally, in a dark corner sofa, I spotted Mia.
Her tiny body was curled into a ball. Her face was ashen, her breathing shallow and ragged.
A few yards away, Chloe was laughing and clinking glasses with socialites, paying no attention to the child in the corner.
I bolted forward and scooped Mia into my arms.
"Mia! Mia, wake up!"
Her body was burning up, limp in my embrace.
She didn't even have the strength to cry.
"What are you doing?!" Chloe shrieked, drawing every eye in the room.
Julian leaped off the stage and grabbed me by the collar.
"Nora, haven't you caused enough trouble?! Are you not satisfied until you ruin Chloe's day?!""Let go!"
I screamed, my voice raw and cracking.
I clutched Mia desperately against my chest.
"She has a fever! She has myocarditis! We have to get her to the hospital right now!"
Julian froze, his eyes instinctively darting to Mia.
"Julian, don't listen to her lies," Chloe pleaded immediately, stepping between them to block his view.
"Mia was completely fine just minutes ago. She even ate two cupcakes! Nora is just jealous. She came here on purpose to cause a scene."
"I'm not!"
Tears streamed down my face.
"The hospital just called! She is really sick!"
My mother shoved through the crowd and slapped me across the face with all her might.
"You home-wrecker! Chloe finally has a happy day, and you come here cursing a child with illness! What kind of monster are you?!"
The blow split the unhealed wound on my forehead wide open.
Fresh blood cascaded down my temple, dripping onto Mia’s pale cheeks.
"Mommy..."
Mia fluttered her eyelids, whispering weakly.
"Don't be scared, baby. Mommy is taking you to the hospital."
I squeezed her tight and tried to bolt for the exit.
"Stop her!" Julian barked.
Several security guards rushed forward, tackling me to the polished marble floor.
Julian stepped over, pried my fingers apart with brutal force, and ripped Mia from my grasp.
"Nora, you are completely hopeless."
"To ruin Chloe’s party, you’d invent a lie like this? Myocarditis? Do you think I'm an idiot?"
"Julian, give the baby to me," Chloe offered softly, reaching out.
"Nora probably suffered mental damage in jail. Don't be too hard on her."
Julian handed Mia to Chloe, then turned to the guards with cold disgust.
"Throw her out. Don't let her filthy presence stain this venue."
Two guards dragged me backward across the floor.
A smear of crimson trailed behind me on the white carpet.
I stared fixedly at Mia in Chloe's arms. The little girl had gone completely unconscious.
"Julian Hayes!"
I screamed his name with every ounce of breath left in my lungs.
"You will regret this! You will regret this for the rest of your life!"
"Shut her up!" my father shouted in disgust. A foul-smelling, dirty rag was shoved into my mouth.
Freezing and broken, I was dumped like garbage by the dumpster in the hotel’s rear alleyway.
Freezing rain pelted my face, washing blood into my eyes.
The ringing in my right ear escalated into a piercing whistle.
And then, complete, absolute silence fell over the world.
I could no longer hear the rain.
I fumbled frantically for my phone. The screen was shattered. My bloody fingers slipped several times before unlocking it.
I wanted to call 911.
I wanted to crawl back into that ballroom and tear Mia back into my arms.
But the agony throbbing in my skull robbed me of the strength to stand.
My vision faded to black. Summoning my final shred of consciousness, I pressed record on SnapChat and sent a voice message:
"Save Mia... the myocarditis diagnosis is on the coffee table... please save her..."
The moment the message sent, I dragged myself forward an inch, reaching a trembling hand toward the heavy steel door.
"Mia..."
Endless darkness swallowed me whole.
My hand fell limp into the muddy puddle, tightly gripping a shard of bloody glass.
Meanwhile, back inside the ballroom.
Julian held a glass of champagne, chatting with business partners.
"Julian, who was that woman earlier...?" a colleague asked cautiously.
"Just an unstable relative," Julian brushed it off smoothly, yet an unexplained dread gnawed at his chest.
That look of sheer despair in my eyes haunted his thoughts.
"Julian!"
A bloodcurdling scream shattered the room. Chloe ran toward him in utter panic, holding Mia.
"Mia... Mia isn't breathing!"
Julian spun around.
Mia’s lips had turned a terrifying shade of blue. White foam bubbled from the corners of her mouth, and her small limbs were stiff.
"Call an ambulance! Call an ambulance now!"
Julian's mind went blank. He snatched Mia from Chloe's arms, frantically trying to perform CPR, only to realize he had no idea what he was doing.
Whenever Mia fell ill in the past, I had stayed up whole nights tending to her.
He didn't even know what medications she was allergic to.
"Nora... Where is Nora?!"
He scanned the crowd like a madman, looking for the woman he had just discarded.
Chloe shivered nearby. Julian shoved her aside and pulled out his phone.
The screen lit up, revealing the voice message I had sent ten minutes earlier.
With trembling fingers, he tapped it. My faint, choking plea echoed from the speaker.
A chilling wave struck Julian to his core, plunging him into an abyss.
Looking down at the dying child in his arms, my final, blood-soaked curse echoed in his ears like a thunderclap.

Chapters (4)

Chapter 1   Chapter 2   Chapter 3   Chapter 4

Chapter 1

My daughter was burning with a high fever, unconscious in my arms as I stumbled into the emergency room. I ran straight into my husband, Julian, and my parents. Instead of helping, Julian grabbed me by the hair, kicked me to the floor, and tore my baby from my grip. "Arrest this woman! She’s trying to kidnap this child!" Blood gushed down my forehead. I clung desperately to my mother's leg. "Mom! It’s me, Nora! Please, save Mia!" My mother kicked me off with utter disgust, shouting to the gathering crowd. "We don't know this psycho!" I rotted in a jail cell for seven agonizing days before my lawyer finally pulled security footage to bail me out. My heart ached for my daughter, but the moment I stepped outside, my lawyer handed me a screenshot that froze me in my tracks. In the photo, my younger sister, Chloe, was holding my daughter, smiling brightly, celebrating how their "little family of three" was finally reunited after everything they had been through. My lawyer sighed with pity. "Your sister Chloe was diagnosed with severe depression due to infertility. She attempted suicide." "Julian and your parents discussed it. They decided the only way to save Chloe is to have her adopt Mia and cut you out of the picture entirely." "They said you're a resilient adult who can endure it, but Chloe won't survive another breakdown." Touching the fresh, unstitched gash on my forehead, I burst into bitter laughter. Giving away your own flesh and blood just to coddle her? Your favoritism truly knows no bounds. "Done throwing a tantrum? Get in the car if you are." Julian rolled down the car window, his brow furrowed. "Chloe made nourishing soup for you at home. Her health is fragile, so make sure you apologize to her the second you walk through the door." I touched the jagged, throbbing wound across my forehead. The relentless buzzing from the cell still rang in my ears. Attorney Evans stood beside me, awkwardly tucking his phone away. "Mr. Hayes, Mrs. Hayes needs to see a doctor. The jail physician said her auditory nerve might be damaged." "It's just a bump. Adults don't whine over every scratch," Julian cut him off impatiently. "Chloe’s wrists just scabbed over. She can’t handle any stress right now." "Stop playing the victim, Nora." I pulled open the back door and sat down in silence. Julian glanced at me in the rearview mirror, seemingly satisfied with my submissiveness. "Mia has been very happy with Chloe these past few days." "Chloe can’t have children. As her older sister, letting her adopt Mia is the best choice for this family." "Once Chloe is emotionally stable, I’ll take you to Iceland to see the Northern Lights. Didn't you always want to go?" I looked down at the dried blood caked under my fingernails. Iceland. Three years ago, I shattered both my legs in a car crash trying to shield him. As I lay in the hospital bed, he wept and made that promise. Later, he became too busy. Too busy flying Chloe to beach resorts to cheer her up. Too busy flying Chloe to Paris for fashion week. "Okay. Where's the adoption agreement?" "I'll sign it." Silence fell over the car. "Nora, you finally came to your senses." Julian exhaled a sigh of relief, his tone noticeably lighter. "I knew you weren't that selfish." "I’ve already told Mom and Dad. We’re having a family dinner tonight to celebrate." I didn't reply. I just turned my face to the window. The ringing in my right ear grew louder and sharper. The moment I walked into the house, Mia’s eyes lit up. "Mommy!" She instinctively started running toward me. Chloe immediately pulled her back into a tight embrace, her body trembling slightly. "Nora... you're back." My mother rushed over and shoved me backward without hesitation. "How dare you show your face! If Chloe hadn't begged Julian to drop the charges, you'd still be rotting behind bars!" I stumbled back, my spine slamming into the doorframe. The impact sent a jolt of agony through my split forehead. Julian stepped forward, resting a protective hand on Chloe's shoulder. "Nora, don't scare her." I steadied myself and looked at the grotesque scene before me. "Where are the papers?" My mother froze. Chloe forgot to cry, staring at me blankly. My father rose from the sofa, his eyes narrow with suspicion. "The adoption agreement," I repeated, my voice flat. "Bring it here. I'll sign." Julian pulled a folder from his briefcase and handed it over. "I'm glad you understand." "Chloe will be Mia's mother from now on. You'll still be her aunt. Nothing really changes." As I scribbled my signature, Julian watched with a flicker of unease in his eyes. It was almost as if things were going too smoothly to believe. "Since it’s signed, sit down and eat," my mother muttered, clearing her throat. "Chloe specifically saved you the pork stew you love." I looked at the bowl on the table, covered in a thick, congealed layer of grease. I had been allergic and nauseated by heavy lard since childhood; one sip would make me vomit. The one who loved that greasy stew had always been Chloe. "No thanks." I turned toward the stairs. At the landing, I stopped and looked back at Julian. "The agreement takes effect next week, right?" "Yes. The legal process takes a few days," Julian nodded. I looked away and continued up the stairs. One week. More than enough time to settle everything and erase myself from their lives forever.

Chapter 2

"Is Nora still mad at me?" Chloe’s tearful voice drifted from downstairs. "Ignore her! She’s always been like this—spiteful, never able to stand seeing you happy," my mother sneered. "You’re Mia’s mother now. You don’t need to walk on eggshells around her." "But... Mia still seems to want Nora." "Don't overthink it. You're Mia's only mother." I shut the bedroom door, cutting off the noise. The room was a mess. The parenting books on my nightstand were gone, replaced by Chloe's curated display of collectible designer dolls. Half my closet had been cleared out to hang Chloe’s vibrant dresses. I walked to the vanity and pulled open the bottom drawer for my ID and documents. A sharp pain stabbed my right ear. I took the antibiotics given by the jail clinic and swallowed them dry. The door opened. Julian walked in carrying the bowl of pork stew, shutting the door behind him. "Why didn't you come down to eat?" He came up behind me, habitually reaching to wrap his arms around my waist. I sidestepped his touch. His hands froze in midair, his forehead creasing. "Still sulking?" "Nora, you were never this petty." "I'm not angry," I muttered numbly, shaking my head. "Then finish the soup." He pointed at the greasy bowl. "Chloe made it herself. Her wrists are still bandaged, but she stood in the kitchen all afternoon just to welcome you home." "I said, I don't want it." Julian's expression darkened. "Do you really have to be so hostile?" "Every day you spent in that cell, Chloe drowned in guilt! She couldn't even take sleeping pills because she was terrified of having nightmares about you suffering!" "So?" I looked straight into his eyes. "Should I drop to my knees and thank her for putting me in jail?" Julian took a deep breath, forcing down his temper. "What happened at the hospital was a misunderstanding. You charged in with your hair disheveled and wild. Mom and Dad didn't recognize you, and I panicked..." "You panicked, so you kicked me down the stairs and accused me of being a child kidnapper?" A flicker of guilt flashed in Julian’s eyes. "I didn't mean to. Chloe had just been diagnosed with severe depression. My mind was completely overwhelmed." "Besides, you came back in one piece, didn't you?" In one piece. I touched the bandage on my forehead. His kick had sent me tumbling down the concrete steps. Blood had blinded my eyes as I begged my mother to save Mia. And my mother had kicked me away, screaming to the crowd that she didn't know me. "Alright, it's in the past. Stop dragging it up." Seeing my silence, Julian pulled a velvet box from his pocket and offered it to me. "There's an executive overseas training spot opening next month. I originally planned to give it to you." "But given Chloe's mental state, she needs a change of scenery. I gave it to her." Inside the box was an older-model designer bracelet, noticeably too small. "This is to make it up to you. Come on, stop making a fuss." I stared at the bracelet without reaching out. It was the exact piece Chloe had complained about on Ins last month, whining that her wrists were too thick to wear it. "What? You don't like it?" Julian asked, his patience wearing thin. I reached out and took the box. Julian sighed in relief and ruffled my hair. "Good girl. Be sensible, and life will be easier for everyone." He turned toward the door, then paused as if remembering something. "By the way, Mia has been crying through the night lately, and Chloe can't stay up late in her condition." "Sleep in the guest room tonight. Don't wake them." The door clicked shut. I tossed the velvet box straight into the trash can. Pulling out my phone, I booked a one-way flight to Switzerland three days from now. There was a specialized hospital there for nerve deafness. I didn't need his training spot, nor his hand-me-down jewelry. All I wanted was to disappear.

Chapter 3

The next morning, the living room was bustling. I walked downstairs carrying a black trash bag. Inside were the few personal belongings I had left in this house. "Julian, this pink dress will look gorgeous on Mia," Chloe cooed, holding a gown against Mia. Julian sat on the sofa, his gaze tender. My parents were grinning from ear to ear. "Chloe is so thoughtful—unlike some people who only know how to bury their noses in books," my mother said, shooting a pointed glare at me. I ignored them and walked toward the entrance. "Hold on." Julian raised an eyebrow and called after me. "Where are you going?" "Taking out the trash." I raised the black bag. "Come straight back once you're done," Julian frowned. "Chloe is hosting a banquet today to celebrate Mia's adoption. As her aunt, you need to be there." "I have errands to run. I can't make it." I slipped into my shoes. Julian's voice grew stern. "Chloe kindly invited you. Do you really have to embarrass everyone?" "It's okay, Julian. If Nora doesn't want to come, let her be." Chloe tugged at his sleeve, her eyes brimming with tears. "I know... Nora still hates me for taking Mia..." "What does she have to be bitter about?!" My mother jumped up, pointing a finger at my face. "If your sister weren't infertile, would this blessing ever have landed on your lap?" "Instead of being grateful, you wear that sullen face every damn day!" Twenty-five years ago, Chloe and I were born minutes apart. Because Chloe was born three minutes later and weaker, my mother gave every drop of her breast milk to her. I survived on diluted rice porridge. Growing up, whatever Chloe wanted, I had to give up. Including Julian. Years ago, when Julian went bankrupt, Chloe bought an overnight ticket and fled the country. I worked three jobs, covered his medical bills, and stood by him until he rebuilt his empire. When he finally reached the top, Chloe returned, weeping that she had depression. Without a second thought, Julian welcomed her back—and now, he was handing my daughter over to her on a silver platter. "I'm not going." "Enjoy your lunch." I pushed open the front door and walked out, ignoring the curses and breaking glass behind me. I headed straight to the property registry to put my pre-marital apartment up for urgent sale. My phone buzzed with a bank notification. Julian had spent fifteen thousand dollars at a luxury children's boutique. Moments later, Chloe updated her Ins story. The photo showed her and Julian holding Mia between them in the grand ballroom of the city's most prestigious hotel. *“Through storms and trials, our little family is finally whole. Blessed to have you.”* Then, an unknown number flashed on my screen. "Is this Mrs. Hayes? This is the Children's Hospital." My heart clenched. "Yes, speaking." "Your daughter Mia’s follow-up lab results are in. Her previous febrile seizure triggered myocarditis. She needs immediate hospitalization and intensive treatment." "She cannot undergo any physical exhaustion or emotional stress. We’ve been trying to reach your husband, but his line is busy." Panic surged through me. I stood up and dialed Julian’s number. Busy. I dialed again and again. Still busy. I called my parents. Both disconnected my calls immediately. To ensure I wouldn't ruin Chloe's celebration, they had blocked every avenue of communication. I sprinted into the street, flagged a cab, and sped toward the hotel. The ringing in my right ear shrieked, and my vision blurred. By the time I rushed into the ballroom, Julian was standing at the podium, delivering a heartfelt toast. I pushed through the crowd, my eyes darting frantically across the room. Finally, in a dark corner sofa, I spotted Mia. Her tiny body was curled into a ball. Her face was ashen, her breathing shallow and ragged. A few yards away, Chloe was laughing and clinking glasses with socialites, paying no attention to the child in the corner. I bolted forward and scooped Mia into my arms. "Mia! Mia, wake up!" Her body was burning up, limp in my embrace. She didn't even have the strength to cry. "What are you doing?!" Chloe shrieked, drawing every eye in the room. Julian leaped off the stage and grabbed me by the collar. "Nora, haven't you caused enough trouble?! Are you not satisfied until you ruin Chloe's day?!"

Chapter 4

"Let go!" I screamed, my voice raw and cracking. I clutched Mia desperately against my chest. "She has a fever! She has myocarditis! We have to get her to the hospital right now!" Julian froze, his eyes instinctively darting to Mia. "Julian, don't listen to her lies," Chloe pleaded immediately, stepping between them to block his view. "Mia was completely fine just minutes ago. She even ate two cupcakes! Nora is just jealous. She came here on purpose to cause a scene." "I'm not!" Tears streamed down my face. "The hospital just called! She is really sick!" My mother shoved through the crowd and slapped me across the face with all her might. "You home-wrecker! Chloe finally has a happy day, and you come here cursing a child with illness! What kind of monster are you?!" The blow split the unhealed wound on my forehead wide open. Fresh blood cascaded down my temple, dripping onto Mia’s pale cheeks. "Mommy..." Mia fluttered her eyelids, whispering weakly. "Don't be scared, baby. Mommy is taking you to the hospital." I squeezed her tight and tried to bolt for the exit. "Stop her!" Julian barked. Several security guards rushed forward, tackling me to the polished marble floor. Julian stepped over, pried my fingers apart with brutal force, and ripped Mia from my grasp. "Nora, you are completely hopeless." "To ruin Chloe’s party, you’d invent a lie like this? Myocarditis? Do you think I'm an idiot?" "Julian, give the baby to me," Chloe offered softly, reaching out. "Nora probably suffered mental damage in jail. Don't be too hard on her." Julian handed Mia to Chloe, then turned to the guards with cold disgust. "Throw her out. Don't let her filthy presence stain this venue." Two guards dragged me backward across the floor. A smear of crimson trailed behind me on the white carpet. I stared fixedly at Mia in Chloe's arms. The little girl had gone completely unconscious. "Julian Hayes!" I screamed his name with every ounce of breath left in my lungs. "You will regret this! You will regret this for the rest of your life!" "Shut her up!" my father shouted in disgust. A foul-smelling, dirty rag was shoved into my mouth. Freezing and broken, I was dumped like garbage by the dumpster in the hotel’s rear alleyway. Freezing rain pelted my face, washing blood into my eyes. The ringing in my right ear escalated into a piercing whistle. And then, complete, absolute silence fell over the world. I could no longer hear the rain. I fumbled frantically for my phone. The screen was shattered. My bloody fingers slipped several times before unlocking it. I wanted to call 911. I wanted to crawl back into that ballroom and tear Mia back into my arms. But the agony throbbing in my skull robbed me of the strength to stand. My vision faded to black. Summoning my final shred of consciousness, I pressed record on SnapChat and sent a voice message: "Save Mia... the myocarditis diagnosis is on the coffee table... please save her..." The moment the message sent, I dragged myself forward an inch, reaching a trembling hand toward the heavy steel door. "Mia..." Endless darkness swallowed me whole. My hand fell limp into the muddy puddle, tightly gripping a shard of bloody glass. Meanwhile, back inside the ballroom. Julian held a glass of champagne, chatting with business partners. "Julian, who was that woman earlier...?" a colleague asked cautiously. "Just an unstable relative," Julian brushed it off smoothly, yet an unexplained dread gnawed at his chest. That look of sheer despair in my eyes haunted his thoughts. "Julian!" A bloodcurdling scream shattered the room. Chloe ran toward him in utter panic, holding Mia. "Mia... Mia isn't breathing!" Julian spun around. Mia’s lips had turned a terrifying shade of blue. White foam bubbled from the corners of her mouth, and her small limbs were stiff. "Call an ambulance! Call an ambulance now!" Julian's mind went blank. He snatched Mia from Chloe's arms, frantically trying to perform CPR, only to realize he had no idea what he was doing. Whenever Mia fell ill in the past, I had stayed up whole nights tending to her. He didn't even know what medications she was allergic to. "Nora... Where is Nora?!" He scanned the crowd like a madman, looking for the woman he had just discarded. Chloe shivered nearby. Julian shoved her aside and pulled out his phone. The screen lit up, revealing the voice message I had sent ten minutes earlier. With trembling fingers, he tapped it. My faint, choking plea echoed from the speaker. A chilling wave struck Julian to his core, plunging him into an abyss. Looking down at the dying child in his arms, my final, blood-soaked curse echoed in his ears like a thunderclap.

Watch & Promotions

About this novel