ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

My Best Friend Stole The Multi-Million-Dollar Contract Right Before Signing

MotoNovel · English · Theater: MotoNovel, Lang: English ·

My Best Friend Stole The Multi-Million-Dollar Contract Right Before Signing

Theater: MotoNovel  |  Language: English  |  NEW

Synopsis

I had spent two years chasing the deal, finally securing a multi-million-dollar contract with Mr. Henderson. But right when it came time to sign, the contract was nowhere to be found inside my briefcase.
The meeting fell apart, and Mr. Henderson walked away in frustration.
The company immediately stripped me of my promotion eligibility and revoked my annual performance bonus.
When I walked out of the office building that evening, my closest friend, Gary, was waiting by the entrance. He held that thick stack of contract documents in his hand, casually waving it in front of my face.
It was only later that I realized what happened. While I had stepped away to use the restroom right before the signing, Gary had slipped the documents straight out of my bag.
"Looks like you failed your emergency reflex test again!" Gary chuckled.
My girlfriend, Janie, stood beside him, her expression completely indifferent. "You still weren't fully prepared, Simon. If you had built a proper contingency plan for unexpected situations, this wouldn't have happened. Take it as a lesson."
I clenched my fists tight, my fingernails digging deep into my palms.

Chapters (1)

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

1 I had spent two years chasing the deal, finally securing a multi-million-dollar contract with Mr. Henderson. But right when it came time to sign, the contract was nowhere to be found inside my briefcase. The meeting fell apart, and Mr. Henderson walked away in frustration. The company immediately stripped me of my promotion eligibility and revoked my annual performance bonus. When I walked out of the office building that evening, my closest friend, Gary, was waiting by the entrance. He held that thick stack of contract documents in his hand, casually waving it in front of my face. It was only later that I realized what happened. While I had stepped away to use the restroom right before the signing, Gary had slipped the documents straight out of my bag. "Looks like you failed your emergency reflex test again!" Gary chuckled. My girlfriend, Janie, stood beside him, her expression completely indifferent. "You still weren't fully prepared, Simon. If you had built a proper contingency plan for unexpected situations, this wouldn't have happened. Take it as a lesson." I clenched my fists tight, my fingernails digging deep into my palms. Back in college, right before a major public speaking competition, Gary had secretly hidden my index cards, leaving me to freeze and look like an absolute fool in front of thousands of students and faculty. When we graduated, Gary hid my job application files, causing me to miss a prestigious corporate fast-track program. Just last month, I spent three straight days and two sleepless nights finishing a critical project proposal. At the absolute last minute, Gary yanked out my power cord, wiping my unsaved files and forcing me to rebuild everything from scratch. Every single time, Gary claimed he was just "training my adaptability under pressure." And every single time, Janie stood firmly behind him, scolding me for not being prepared enough. I clutched the official transfer notice in my jacket pocket. Neither of them knew that because of this mistake, the company was exiling me to a remote branch in the rugged Northern territory. "Gary, do you have any idea how hard I worked for this contract?" My voice trembled, a suffocating ache spreading through my chest. "I followed Mr. Henderson for two whole years! When his mother was hospitalized, I spent two weeks sitting by her bedside taking care of her!" Seeing the look on my face, Gary's cheerful demeanor wavered slightly. "Simon, why are you getting so worked up? I only did it to make you better. Remember when I hid your speech notes? After that, you learned to speak entirely off the cuff!" "And when I hid your application, you learned to always print three backup copies!" Janie stepped in, gently patting Gary's arm to comfort him. "He's put so much thought into helping you growth. We all see it." She turned her head to look at me, her eyes filled with cold disappointment. "Simon, why can't you show a little gratitude? Gary spends every day coming up with realistic scenarios to train your quick thinking, and all you do is blame him." "Where is your conscience?" A bitter laugh nearly escaped my throat. "You two ruined my career, and I'm supposed to thank you for it?" "Janie, Gary... tell me, is that really how this works?" Gary opened his mouth, but no sound came out. Sensing she might be in the wrong, Janie reached over to take my hand. "Alright, stop being so petty." "Gary and I only want what's best for you. Let's go get those jumbo garlic shrimp you love and blow off some steam." Without waiting for my answer, the two of them dragged me straight into the restaurant. When picking the spice level, I mentioned I had mouth sores and couldn't handle spicy food. Gary spoke up immediately, saying he wanted extra spicy, claiming anything less was completely tasteless. Without a second thought, Janie ordered the extra-spicy broth. When the platter arrived, I didn't touch a single piece. Janie, on the other hand, meticulously peeled every single shrimp for Gary, removing the heads and shells before placing them neatly in a row on his plate. Gary dropped a peeled shrimp onto my plate. "Don't be mad anymore, man. I'm sorry, okay?" Janie glanced over, her voice flat. "Gary, Simon knows how to peel his own food. Let him do it himself." When I remained silent, her tone turned sharp with impatience. "Simon, we've already apologized and tried to make nice. If you're going to keep pulling a bitter face, that's on you." That single sentence completely shattered whatever composure I had left. I stood up abruptly from the booth. "You two enjoy your meal. I'm leaving." Back at my apartment, I gathered the contract documents that Gary had finally handed back. I tried calling Mr. Henderson's assistant again and again, begging for one last chance to present. The only response I received was a firm, distant reply: Please stop calling. We've already signed with another firm. The formal transfer letter sat waiting in my email inbox. I stared at the glowing text over and over again. It was a done deal. In the past, to stay in this city, I had forced myself into a grueling industry I hated, pushing through every obstacle simply because Janie was here. But as I looked at the transfer order tonight, a strange wave of relief washed over me instead. A short while later, the front door opened, and Janie walked in holding a takeout bag. "I knew you didn't eat back there, so I picked up your favorite shrimp wontons and garlic shrimp on the way home." She set the bag down on the table. "Since you couldn't eat the spicy broth, I was going to take you to a mild spot, but you walked out. Eat while it's hot." Janie opened the food container for me and gently pulled the contract papers out of my hands. "You're off the clock, so eat your dinner and rest. Stop obsessing over work." "You're not a machine, Simon. Your health comes first." She lifted a wonton with a spoon and fed it to me. The moment I tasted it, tears spilled uncontrollably down my face. She was the only person who remembered this exact recipe. The shop was nearly fifteen miles away across town, meaning she had driven way out of her way just to get it for me. "Silly boy, what are you crying for?" She smiled softly, wiping a tear from my cheek. "Your girl remembers what you like. The food at the other place was too heavy, so I made a special trip to your favorite spot." I chewed the wonton, the familiar taste filling my mouth, mingled with the salty sting of my tears. "Janie... I might be transferred somewhere very far away..." I looked up, only to see Janie staring down at her phone screen, a bright smile on her face. "Hmm? What did you say?" "I said..." "Hold on a second," she interrupted, grabbing her coat. "Gary just finished shopping and needs a ride home. Eat your dinner, okay? Be good!" The front door shut with a heavy thud, the sound piercing through my heart like a needle. I sat there waiting for hours. The hands on the clock crept past midnight, but Janie never returned. Just as I was about to dial her number, a text message from her popped up on my screen: Gary's roommate is out of town tonight and he's feeling anxious being alone. I'm going to stay until he falls asleep, then head back. I sat at the edge of the mattress, my back pressed against the cold wall, my eyes staring blankly at the dark bedroom doorway. When I was a child, my parents fought constantly. The sound of shattering china and heavy shoving was burned deep into my memory. Once, a jagged shard of porcelain flew across the room and sliced the top of my foot, blood soaking into my slipper. That night, I had huddled in the dark corner, terrified to move or make a sound, afraid that if they noticed me, their rage would turn on me instead. Ever since then, even the faintest noise late at night would send my nerves into a hyper-vigilant panic. I was terrified of turning off the lights or closing my eyes, afraid of being exposed in the dark. I used to force myself to stay awake until dawn before finally passing out, waking up with icy hands and a pounding headache. The doctor called it severe anxiety-induced insomnia. Until I met Janie. Back then, she had held me tight and promised that I would never be alone again. She swore that as long as she was breathing, she would never leave me waiting in the dark until sunrise. I had sobbed in her arms that night, feeling truly safe. And now, she was spending the night keeping Gary company. The desk lamp stayed lit all night long. I leaned against the headboard in a half-awake daze, my eyelids heavy as lead, yet the central nerve in my brain remained pulled taut, refusing to let me sleep. The clock on the wall spun around and around until five in the morning, when the front door latch finally clicked. Janie was back. My pillow was soaked through on one side. I turned my body over, keeping my back facing her. She slid into bed and wrapped her arms gently around my waist from behind. "I'm sorry, babe. I was afraid of waking you up when I finished, and it was so late, so I just crashed on Gary's couch." I stayed silent. But deep down, I knew that whatever we had was officially gone. Over the next two days, the company processed my reassignment paperwork. Because the Northern branch was so remote, there were extensive briefing materials to prepare. Yet right before the final review meeting, my prepared briefing folder vanished into thin air. The general manager lost his temper with me once again. "Simon, what is wrong with you?! How many times is this going to happen?" "After a massive blunder like last time, have you learned nothing at all?!" My mind immediately went to Gary. I stormed out of the office and drove straight to his apartment. When I pushed the door open, I found Janie sitting on his sofa, the two of them laughing together over coffee. I caught the tail end of Gary's bragging voice: "I'm telling you, Simon only ever hides his stuff in a few predictable spots. I practically know his brain inside out by now!" "Name any item, and I can guess where he shoved it!" Janie offered a gentle smile, reaching out to lightly brush a strand of hair from Gary's forehead. "Look at that clever little brain of yours. You're so sharp!" Rage boiled over inside my chest. I stepped forward, pointing a shaking finger straight at them. "Have you two no shame at all? Building your entertainment on someone else's suffering?!" I glared at Gary, letting every bit of pent-up anger pour out. "Gary, you are a despicable, vile coward!" Having never seen me lose my temper like this, Gary froze on the spot. A few seconds later, he squeezed out a pathetically meek tone. "Simon... how could you say that about me? I only did it to train your emergency reflexes!" "The better your quick thinking under pressure, the stronger your career will be!" As he spoke, two forced tears welled up in his eyes. Seeing Gary cry, Janie exploded like a lit fuse. "What is your problem, Simon?! Can't you tell who's actually on your side?!" "He's done so much for you, and you say things that disgusting?!" "I have no idea what goes on in that head of yours. Apologize to Gary right now!" I stared directly into her eyes, my voice dropping to a harsh whisper. "I will never apologize. Not a single word." "He doesn't deserve it." Without another word, I turned and walked out the door. Gary pulled on Janie's sleeve with a tearful whine. "Go after him! Hurry up and catch him!" Janie let out a cold snort. "I am not going! He's narrow-minded and ungrateful. Let him sit alone and think about what he did!" Out in the freezing wind, tears burst past my eyelids like a broken dam. My chest felt as if it were bursting apart, a sharp, suffocating pain radiating through my body. That afternoon, I received a phone call from my father. Ever since I started working, my father rarely reached out to me. But knowing I would soon be sent to the remote Northern outpost, I decided to visit home one last time. When I stepped through the front door, I saw Janie and Gary already seated around the dining table, chatting and laughing with my parents. The moment my father caught sight of me, his warm smile instantly vanished into a cold glare. "So you finally remembered you have a father?" "I thought you didn't even recognize me anymore!" I kept my voice low. "Dad, what's going on?" My father glared at me. "Are you really going to act like you don't know what you did?!" "Gary is such a wonderful young man, spending his time coming up with ways to train your adaptability under pressure! Instead of showing some gratitude, you berate him!" "Have you forgotten how slow you were as a kid? You were so dense you couldn't even work out basic two-digit math!" "If it weren't for Gary and his family helping you along the way, you wouldn't even have a job today!" My voice trembled with suppressed grief. "Dad... who is actually your son here?" "Do you have any idea how much damage they've done to my career?!" My father raised his voice even higher, cutting me off with a harsh shout. "Damage you?! What do you know, accusing people right and left?!" "You claim he's sabotaging you... do you really think he has nothing better to do with his time?!" As my father berated me relentlessly, a subtle, smug smirk flickered across the corner of Gary's eyes. Janie, however, looked slightly uncomfortable, her face darkening as she cast a hesitant glance at me, looking as if she wanted to say something but held back. The dinner ended in miserable silence. Late that night, Janie returned home long after I did, her expression dark with frustration. "I really don't understand you, Simon. Why do you have to pick a fight with everyone who cares about you?!" "At dinner tonight, you hurt every single person in that room who loves you." I kept my back turned to her, refusing to say a single word. I knew it was completely pointless. Early the next morning, I booked a one-way flight to the Northern territory. After packing a small duffel bag with a few essential personal belongings, I completed my final digital handovers with the regional branch. Without telling a single soul, I boarded the plane. Shortly after takeoff, the company's internal employee group chat exploded. Dozens of high-resolution screenshots were posted, showing alleged evidence of me selling confidential corporate data to competitors. The documents clearly displayed my digital signature, along with detailed bank transfer records and account numbers. The chat went into absolute pandemonium. Simon looked so honest and down-to-earth! How could he do something like this behind our backs? He's trying to ruin the company! Seriously! He made that massive mistake last time, and the boss gave him a transfer instead of firing him. How can someone be so ungrateful? Is he trying to drag us all down with him? We all have families to feed. If the company collapses, what are we supposed to do?! My department head tried calling me frantically, while my colleagues sent hundreds of unread messages: Simon, why are you doing this to us?! Reply immediately! It's not too late to pull back, Simon! You're young, don't do something that ruins your life forever! Because I was mid-flight without cellular service, everyone assumed I had taken the money and fled the country. Gary was practically bursting with pride, showing off his phone screen to Janie. "Look at my new photo-editing skills! It looks a hundred percent legit!" "Unless a professional forensic team analyzes the metadata, no ordinary person could ever tell it's fake!" His eyes gleamed with malicious excitement. "This is going to give Simon something to sweat over for a long time! Just thinking about his desperate, furious face makes me laugh!" Listening to his non-stop bragging, Janie didn't smile this time. Her expression flickered between light and shadow. "Gary..." Gary stopped laughing and looked at her. A few seconds passed before Janie spoke up hesitantly. "I feel like... this might be going a bit too far this time. If the company can't clear this up, it could actually involve law enforcement." Gary's face instantly dropped into a bitter scowl. "I knew it!" "Janie, you're feeling sorry for Simon! You think I went too far, and you're blaming me now, aren't you?!" Janie quickly tried to appease him. "No, no, of course not! That's not what I meant!" "I know you mean well! But you know how petty Simon can be. Even though his quick-thinking under pressure has improved a lot thanks to us, he doesn't appreciate our efforts at all!" Gary crossed his arms, turning his shoulder to her. "You don't need to make excuses for him. If you genuinely think I'm being cruel, fine! I'll never bother helping him again!" Janie immediately pulled Gary back by his sleeve, her face softening into a warm smile once more. "How could you say that? Gary, you're the sweetest, most thoughtful person I know." Meanwhile, my plane touched down at the Northern airfield, and I switched my phone back on. The moment the deluge of urgent messages from leadership loaded, I realized exactly what had transpired. Without a second's delay, I dialed my department head directly. "Sir, I was on a commercial flight for the past four hours. I've just emailed you my flight ticket and boarding pass timestamps." "Regarding the leak, the timestamps on those alleged transfer documents overlap directly with my time in the air. Someone is deliberately framing me and attempting to sabotage the company." "I will provide all necessary technical logs, but I request that the company prosecute the perpetrator to the full extent of the law." "Before taking off, Gary sent me those edited images to brag about his work. I have preserved the chat logs, metadata, and IP routing details, and I am submitting them to you right now." After receiving the executive's firm confirmation, I forwarded Gary's full personal file and chat logs directly to the corporate legal team.

Watch & Promotions

About this novel