
Theater: MotoNovel | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
Running the campus confession page for three years taught me much about human nature. Tonight was the deadline for college applications. I planned to moderate the page one last time before shutting it down for good.
At 11:50 PM, an anonymous user messaged my inbox. He said he had hacked his childhood best friend’s portal and altered her entire application list. “It has been three years. I know she has a massive crush on me, but she always acts superior when she tutors me and the girl I actually like. Now, she applied to the exact same universities as me, while the girl I love bombed her SATs and got rejected everywhere. I deleted her safety schools so she gets rejected too. She can take a gap year and keep the girl I love company at community college. That is not too much to ask, right?”
I stared at the glowing screen. My heart hammered against my ribs, and my fingertips turned ice cold.
The typing bubble appeared again. “But we have been neighbors for eight years. I still care about her. Whisper, post this to the main page for me. If she happens to see this in the next ten minutes, she still has time to log in and change her schools back to the West Coast. If she misses it… then it is just fate.”
I took a deep, shaky breath, fully intending to hit the block button. Then he sent a custom meme. It was a poorly drawn cartoon cat throwing a punch. I had drawn it myself on my iPad. I had only ever sent it to two people in the entire world. My best friend, and my childhood neighbor.
…
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
1
Running the campus confession page for three years taught me much about human nature. Tonight was the deadline for college applications. I planned to moderate the page one last time before shutting it down for good.
At 11:50 PM, an anonymous user messaged my inbox. He said he had hacked his childhood best friend’s portal and altered her entire application list. “It has been three years. I know she has a massive crush on me, but she always acts superior when she tutors me and the girl I actually like. Now, she applied to the exact same universities as me, while the girl I love bombed her SATs and got rejected everywhere. I deleted her safety schools so she gets rejected too. She can take a gap year and keep the girl I love company at community college. That is not too much to ask, right?”
I stared at the glowing screen. My heart hammered against my ribs, and my fingertips turned ice cold.
The typing bubble appeared again. “But we have been neighbors for eight years. I still care about her. Whisper, post this to the main page for me. If she happens to see this in the next ten minutes, she still has time to log in and change her schools back to the West Coast. If she misses it… then it is just fate.”
I took a deep, shaky breath, fully intending to hit the block button. Then he sent a custom meme. It was a poorly drawn cartoon cat throwing a punch. I had drawn it myself on my iPad. I had only ever sent it to two people in the entire world. My best friend, and my childhood neighbor.
…
The anonymous user was Noah.
My stomach violently dropped, replaced by a dense, suffocating pain spreading through my chest.
I scrambled to open a new tab, loading the Common App portal with trembling hands. My customized list of West Coast safety and target schools, UCLA, UC Berkeley, and the University of Washington, had been entirely wiped out.
In their place sat three new names.
Harvard.
MIT.
Princeton.
They were all Ivy League or elite East Coast universities.
I stared at the screen, my blood turning to ice.
"Whisper, are you still there? Are you going to post it?"
The anonymous chat box pinged again.
I gripped my phone, my knuckles turning white.
The digital clock in the corner of my screen ticked forward. 11:51 PM.
Nine minutes until the national submission portal locked permanently.
I did not reply to him.
My fingers flew across the keyboard, switching back to the admissions portal. The three seconds it took to load felt like three agonizing years.
I stared at the pristine, updated list.
My guaranteed acceptance to UW was gone.
My target spot at UC Berkeley was gone.
The three elite East Coast giants sat there, mocking me.
Noah had completely severed my safety net.
He knew my academic stats inside and out. I ranked sixth in our graduating class. My GPA was high enough to secure a spot at Berkeley, maybe even push for Stanford if I got lucky.
But Harvard and MIT?
He was deliberately throwing me to the wolves. He wanted me to get rejected across the board so I would be forced into a gap year.
Another message popped up. "Whisper?"
"I figured you of all people would understand. You have run this page for three years, you have seen how toxic people can be. Some girls are just too arrogant, thinking high grades entitle them to everything."
I stared at the text, feeling a thick knot of cotton forming in my throat.
The childhood best friend who "acted so superior" when tutoring him. That was me.
The girl who harbored a secret crush on him for three years. That was me.
The girl who supposedly needed to step aside and sacrifice a year of her life for the girl he actually loved. That was me, too.
And he had absolutely no idea he was confessing his crime directly to the victim.
11:52 PM.
I took a desperate breath and clicked the edit button.
I highlighted Harvard and hit delete.
A security prompt popped up on the screen. Please enter the 6-digit verification code sent to your registered mobile device.
I clicked send.
I waited ten seconds. Twenty seconds. Thirty seconds.
No text arrived.
I clicked resend. A red error message flashed across the screen.
This phone number has reached the maximum number of verification requests for the next 24 hours.
When Noah logged into my account to change my schools, he intentionally spammed the verification button to max out the security limit.
11:53 PM.
I scrambled to the manual appeal page.
The system prompt read: Manual security overrides require a photo of a valid government ID and a live selfie. Processing time is 24 to 48 hours.
Twenty four hours.
I only had seven minutes left.
The anonymous messages kept rolling in.
"Whatever, Whisper. You do not have to post it."
"It does not really matter if she sees it or not. I just wanted to give her a fighting chance."
"Eight years is a long time, after all. I am not completely heartless."
A wave of pure, unfiltered nausea washed over me.
It was not physical sickness. It was a freezing chill seeping out from the very marrow of my bones.
Noah actually thought he was being merciful.
He destroyed my future, set me up to fail, and then tossed a vague hint into a campus rumor page. If I miraculously saw it and fixed it in the final ten minutes, he could wash his hands of the guilt.
If I missed it, it was just the universe deciding my fate.
11:55 PM.
I tried a third option, dialing the national admissions support hotline.
An automated busy signal buzzed against my ear. Nobody was staffing the lines at midnight.
I dropped my phone on the desk and stared blankly at the ceiling.
My mind was entirely chaotic, yet terrifyingly clear.
When Noah intentionally burned through my verification codes, he knew his plan was foolproof.
He knew me too well. He knew I wouldn't run out to an internet cafe in the middle of the night. He knew I wouldn't wake my parents up to borrow a phone. He knew I would be completely paralyzed in those final ten minutes.
His only wild card was the confession page.
He gambled on the tiny chance I might be scrolling through it.
But he never could have guessed that I was the one pulling the strings behind the curtain.
A final message lit up the chat box.
"Whisper, one last question."
"Do you think a girl who secretly pines after a guy for three years, never confessing, just hovering around him under the guise of tutoring him..."
"Do you think she is a little pathetic?"
11:57 PM.
I did not type a single word in response.
I aggressively searched for the manual override codes for the West Coast universities.
Only spam links and dead ends loaded on Google.
I clicked the appeal portal one last time, refusing to give up.
11:59 PM.
12:00 AM.
The screen auto-refreshed. A grey banner locked the page.
The application submission window is now permanently closed.
I covered my face with both hands and finally let the tears fall in the silent, dark room.
2
At exactly one in the morning, a text from Noah popped up on my phone.
"Isabel, you asleep yet?"
I stared at my name on the screen. He always called me just Isabel, never using a nickname, never adding my last name. It was a familiar marker, a habit he assumed would simply never change.
I did not reply.
Another text followed right behind it. "Did you finalize your portal? You said you wanted to stay near the ocean, so UCLA is pretty much a lock for you."
His tone was incredibly casual, even capping it off with a smiley face emoji.
It was as if nothing had happened.
As if he had not just spent the last hour hiding behind an anonymous avatar, confessing his sabotage to my alter ego.
As if he had not personally condemned me to three elite universities I supposedly had no chance of entering.
I stared at that smiley face for a very long time.
Three years ago, Noah transferred to our high school in Seattle and moved into the house right next to mine.
On his very first day, he figured out my wifi password, memorized my birthday, and learned my cat's name.
By his second week, he was treating my house like his own. He played games on my iPad, watched shows on my Netflix account, and printed his essays on my printer.
By the end of his first month, the entire junior class treated us like an inseparable pair.
I did like him.
From the day he moved in, all the way until tonight.
But he would never know that.
Because starting from his very first year, he had his eyes entirely on Sarah.
Sarah sat directly behind him in calculus. Her voice was breathy and soft. She took forever to solve a simple equation, and she looked like a fragile porcelain doll.
Noah's excuse for asking me to tutor was simple. "Isabel, can you break this formula down for her? She never understands it when I explain it."
So I taught Sarah math.
After a year of tutoring, her grades crawled from the brink of failure to slightly above average.
Noah was thrilled. He bought me a matcha latte as a reward.
During our junior year, Sarah's English grades tanked.
Noah came to me again. "You have the highest AP English score in the district. Help her out, will you? She wants to take advanced literature with me next semester."
I helped her.
Then came our senior year, the final brutal stretch of college prep.
Noah leaned against my locker. "It is the last semester. Can you run through the AP Physics curriculum with Sarah? Her foundation is terrible. I am terrified she will not even get into a state college."
I tutored her for six exhausting months.
Three times a week, two hours a session.
Sarah never once said thank you.
Instead, at the end of every session, she would turn to Noah with wide, teary eyes and say, "Noah, Isabel was acting so mean to me again."
And Noah would invariably tap on my bedroom window later that night. "Isabel, can you try to be a little gentler? It is not her fault she struggles with the basics."
I was never mean to her.
The closest I came to being harsh was telling her "We went over this exact formula yesterday" when she made the exact same mistake for the fourth time in a row.
But the truth did not matter.
In Noah's eyes, Sarah was a delicate flower requiring constant protection.
And me?
I was just the smart, self-sufficient girl who didn't need anyone looking out for her.
My phone vibrated against the desk.
It was not Noah this time.
It was my best friend, Brooke.
I answered the call, my throat tight.
"Why are you still awake?" Brooke's voice buzzed through the speaker. "Isabel, did your portal lock in? I just submitted mine and I am way too wired to sleep."
"It locked."
"UCLA, right? I committed to USC. We can totally take road trips down the coast together!"
I sat in silence for a moment.
"Brooke."
"Yeah?"
"If someone secretly hacked into another person's college portal and altered their applications, what kind of legal consequences would they face?"
The line went dead silent for two full seconds.
"What are you talking about? Whose portal got hacked?"
I opened my mouth, desperate to tell her it was mine.
But I forced the words back down.
I had absolutely no proof.
Noah used an anonymous account. The core architecture of Westwood Whispers guaranteed total privacy. The backend did not log IP addresses, nor did it publicly bind to a real identity.
I had coded those privacy rules myself three years ago to protect vulnerable students.
Now, those same rules were a rope binding my own hands.
"Nothing," I whispered. "I was just reading a thriller novel. Made me curious."
I hung up the phone.
I lay in bed, staring blankly upward with wide eyes.
The amber glow of the streetlamp painted shadows across my ceiling.
Noah lived exactly one wall away from me.
Right now, he was probably sleeping soundly.
Dreaming his perfect dream, where I happily sacrificed a year of my life for the girl he loved, staying behind to keep him in my orbit.
3
Early the next morning, the doorbell rang.
I opened the door in my oversized sleep shirt. Noah stood on the porch, holding a brown paper bag from my favorite bakery.
"Morning. Got you a blueberry scone."
He brushed past me, walking inside with the practiced ease of someone entering his own kitchen.
He dropped the bag on the dining table, pulled out a chair, and casually picked up my iPad, scrolling through my open tabs.
Everything was perfectly, sickeningly normal.
I stood by the front door, staring at the back of his head.
"Noah."
"Yeah?"
"What time did you go to sleep last night?"
He didn't even look up. "Around eleven thirty. Passed out right after I submitted my portal. You?"
"About the same."
He turned his head and offered a bright, easy smile. "You locked in UCLA, right? I checked the data. With your GPA, you are a guaranteed admit. Stop stressing."
I did not say a word.
He went back to swiping on the iPad. "Oh, by the way, Sarah's application got messed up."
My heart skipped a painful beat.
"She only put down one safety school, and left the rest blank. Her mom does not understand the system, and Sarah is just so clumsy with paperwork. I am really worried she won't get matched anywhere."
He said the words "won't get matched" with the casual tone of someone discussing the morning weather.
I forced my voice to stay even. "And what does that have to do with me?"
Noah looked up, a trace of practiced helplessness in his smile. "I never said it had anything to do with you. Just venting, that's all. You know her family does not have a lot of money. If she really slips through the cracks, her parents can't afford private tutoring for a gap year."
He spoke with total calm, his tone warm and reasonable.
As if he were discussing a perfectly natural tragedy.
Suddenly, his anonymous message from last night echoed violently in my head.
"She can take a gap year and keep the girl I love company. That is not too much to ask, right?"
He genuinely believed it wasn't too much to ask.
He truly felt justified.
"Isabel, why aren't you eating your scone?"
"Not hungry."
"Let me heat it up for you. It tastes like cardboard when it's cold."
He stood up and walked toward the kitchen. As he passed me, he casually reached out and patted the top of my head.
"Stop looking so miserable. College applications are over. Time to relax."
The exact second his hand rested on my hair, my entire body went rigid.
It wasn't a flutter of teenage romance.
It was a profound, nauseating sense of absurdity.
These exact same fingers had typed away in the dark last night, systematically deleting my entire future.
And now, they were patting my head, soothing me like a well-trained, obedient pet.
The microwave buzzed to life.
Noah leaned against the kitchen doorframe, scrolling through his phone. He casually glanced up. "By the way, wasn't your anonymous confession page shutting down yesterday?"
My pulse spiked dangerously.
"Yeah."
"Can I take a look at the backend database? Just curious to see all the insane gossip you collected over three years."
He smiled naturally, posing it as an innocent question.
But my eyes caught the slight hesitation in his thumb hovering over his phone screen.
"No," I replied smoothly. "The rule is strict anonymity. Even I don't read the archived logs."
"Fair enough," Noah said, looking away. "You always were a stickler for the rules."
The microwave beeped loudly.
He pulled the warm scone out, set it on a plate in front of me, and even placed a napkin neatly to the side.
"Eat up. I'm meeting Sarah at the school later to pick up our senior yearbooks. Do you want to tag along?"
"No."
"Suit yourself."
He grabbed his keys and phone, heading for the front door. He paused in the entryway, looking back at me with genuine concern.
"Isabel, did you sleep terribly last night? You have massive dark circles under your eyes."
I forced the corners of my mouth up. "Binge-watched a show until three."
"Get some rest."
The door clicked shut.
I sat alone at the dining table, staring blindly at the steaming blueberry scone.
He remembered my favorite pastry.
But he conveniently forgot that my absolute dream was to stay on the West Coast.
Or perhaps he did remember. He just decided my dreams were not important.
I picked up my phone and reloaded the Common App portal.
The banner remained aggressively grey.
This application cycle is officially closed.
Black text on a white background. Like a signed death warrant.
4
By late afternoon, the senior class group chat was exploding.
Mr. Davis, our homeroom counselor, posted an announcement. Mandatory graduation assembly and final transcript confirmation tomorrow morning at 9 AM. All seniors must attend with their student IDs.
A flood of messages immediately followed.
People were sending screenshots of their college lists and panicking about acceptance rates.
Sarah sent a voice memo, her tone breathy and laced with anxiety. "Does anyone know if we can still edit our portals? I think I forgot to list my backup state schools."
Noah replied instantly. "Don't panic. We can ask Mr. Davis tomorrow. If worst comes to worst, we can appeal to the community college board."
The rest of the class immediately jumped in to comfort her.
"Don't worry Sarah, your GPA is fine!"
"Yeah, with Noah looking out for you, you're totally safe."
Not a single person asked about me.
And not a single person knew that the only student whose portal was actually sabotaged was quietly reading every single message.
I exited the chat and opened an incognito browser.
How to report a maliciously altered college application.
The legal advice forums all gave the exact same answer. Call the police.
But filing a police report required hard evidence.
What did I actually have?
A screenshot of an anonymous chat box. The sender had no name, and the server didn't track IP addresses.
A screenshot of an ugly cat meme. I had sent it to Noah and Brooke, but anyone could have easily saved it to their camera roll if they glanced at Noah's phone.
A phone number permanently locked out by spamming verification codes. The server logs only showed that the limit was reached, not who pushed the button.
Logically, I knew it was Noah.
Legally, I could not prove a damn thing.
Unless he confessed to it in person.
I reopened the Westwood Whispers admin dashboard.
The anonymous chat log from last night was still sitting there.
The final timestamp was 12:01 AM.
"Never mind, Whisper. Time is up. Let it be. The universe has made its choice for her. Goodnight."
I took a screenshot and saved it to an encrypted folder.
Then I opened the user directory source code.
When I coded the page, I tied every anonymous account to the last four digits of a student ID to prevent bot spam. However, I applied a heavy cryptographic hash to those digits to ensure absolute privacy. Even as the admin, I only saw a string of randomized characters.
Unless I intentionally cracked my own encryption algorithm.
I stared at the scrambled code for five long minutes before closing the laptop.
Not yet.
Brooke barged into my house right before dinner.
She threw her backpack onto the couch the second she walked in. "Isabel, I need to show you something, but promise you won't get mad."
"Show me what."
"Sarah was running her mouth in a side chat this afternoon."
She pulled out her phone and shoved it into my hands.
It was a private group chat I wasn't invited to, obnoxiously titled "Senior Trip Vibes."
Sarah's message read: "Noah said Isabel applied to the same West Coast schools as us! We can totally still hang out on weekends in college!"
A guy in the chat replied: "If Isabel tags along, it's just going to turn into a mandatory study hall lmao."
Noah's response: "That is just how she is, you guys are used to it by now. Just don't say it to her face, she's super sensitive about it."
Brooke locked her phone screen, looking at me carefully.
"You did lock in UCLA, right? Nothing changed?"
I stayed completely silent.
"Isabel?"
"It changed."
"What do you mean? Changed to what?"
"Harvard. MIT. Princeton."
Brooke's jaw dropped. "Are you out of your mind? Your GPA is amazing, but nobody gets into those without insane extracurriculars!"
"I know."
"Then you are basically guaranteed to get rejected everywhere! Who the hell changed your portal?!"
"I don't know."
Brooke watched the dark expression on my face, and the horrific realization slowly dawned on her.
"Wait. Was it... Noah?"
5
I didn't nod, and I didn't shake my head.
Brooke sat in stunned silence for a very long time before finally whispering, "What are you going to do?"
"I'll figure it out at school tomorrow."
"But what if there is nothing the counselor can do? Isabel, with your grades, even if you do late admission, you can easily get into a decent local college."
"Late admissions for the West Coast quota are already full."
I cut her off.
The UC system didn't take late appeals for our district. I had already checked the statistics.
If my portal couldn't be rolled back, I only had two paths left.
Beg a random, lower-tier college in the Midwest to accept me on probation.
Or, take a gap year.
Exactly what Noah wanted.
Brooke sat beside me and squeezed my hand hard.
"I am coming with you to Mr. Davis's office tomorrow."
"Okay."
By the time she left, it was past nine.
I sat alone at my desk, the glow of the monitor illuminating the dark room. I pulled up the cryptographic source code.
I didn't care if it took me all night, or an entire week.
I was going to brute-force crack the encryption on that anonymous user ID.
It was the only tangible proof I had.
At four thirty in the morning, the decryption script finally finished executing.
I stared at the four digits flashing in bright green text on the terminal.
It was the exact ending of Noah's student ID.
I took a screenshot, saved it to the secure folder, and leaned back in my chair, exhaling a long, shuddering breath.
My phone screen suddenly lit up in the dark.
A text from Mr. Davis.
"Isabel, please stay behind after the graduation assembly tomorrow. We need to have a private meeting regarding your admissions status."
Admissions status.
The portals literally just closed. No college releases decisions in twelve hours. What status?
Before I could type a reply, another notification slid down the screen.
It was Noah.
At 4:37 AM, he sent a text.
"Isabel, dress nicely for the assembly tomorrow. I hired a photographer to take grad photos for us."
A second text quickly followed.
"Oh, by the way, Sarah asked if you could tutor her over the summer for the community college placement exams. Think you can help out?"
The graduation assembly was held in the main school auditorium.
When I walked in, the first three rows were already packed.
Noah waved at me from the second row. "Isabel, saved you a seat."
Sarah was sitting right next to him.
I ignored him completely, walking straight to the back corner of the auditorium and taking an empty seat in the last row.
Noah froze, his hand dropping awkwardly. He forced a smile but didn't follow me.
Sarah turned around, glanced at me, and whispered something into Noah's ear. They both laughed.
The ceremony dragged on forever.
The principal gave a speech, the dean of students gave a speech, the valedictorian gave a speech.
I didn't hear a single word.
I was just waiting.
Waiting for the assembly to end so I could march into the counselor's office.
That text from Mr. Davis last night felt like a splinter buried deep in my brain.
Admissions status.
What the hell did that mean?
Finally, the principal leaned into the microphone. "Congratulations, seniors. You are dismissed."
The crowd erupted into cheers. Students spilled into the aisles. Noah navigated through the folding chairs, heading straight for me.
"Isabel, want to grab lunch? I booked a table at—"
"No. Mr. Davis needs to see me."
I bypassed him entirely, walking briskly toward the administrative wing.
Noah's footsteps hurried behind me. "What for? Do you want me to come with you?"
"No."
The door to Mr. Davis's office was wide open.
There were three people sitting inside.
Mr. Davis, the school principal, and a middle-aged man wearing a sharp suit I had never seen before.
"Isabel, come in. Have a seat."
Mr. Davis pointed to the leather chair across the desk.
I sat down.
The stranger in the suit slid a crisp, silver-embossed business card across the table.
Arthur Vance. Director of Elite Admissions, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
"Isabel," Mr. Vance started, lacing his fingers together on the desk. "Let's confirm a few details first. Your final unweighted GPA is a 4.0, correct?"
"Yes."
"And you won the gold medal at the National Physics Olympiad last year?"
"Yes."
"State champion in the Chemistry Decathlon?"
"Yes."
"And you are the lead author on two peer-reviewed papers published in the Journal of Applied Physics?"
I hesitated for a fraction of a second.
"Yes."
Mr. Vance opened the thick manila folder resting in front of him.
"Isabel, based on MIT's Elite Scholar Direct Admit program, evaluating your Olympiad medals, your published research, and your perfect academic record, you rank in the top three candidates nationwide."
He paused, looking directly into my eyes.
"We just need verbal confirmation from you. Your absolute top choice on the portal is MIT, correct?"
- Search this code in the MotoNovel app:
599056 Open MotoNovel → Search code → Find the title