
Theater: NovelMaster | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
I was kicked out of the gym I built with my bare hands, all because my girlfriend—the club's legal representative on paper—brought in some slick Wall Street hotshot.
As the actual controlling owner and head coach, I had spent the last three years in the shadows, turning a rundown, bankrupt dump into a cradle for champions.
Today, my girlfriend, Chloe, walked into my office with her arm linked through his.
The man kicked a heavy bag with the tip of his Italian leather shoe and let out a derisive snort.
"This is it? No wonder this dump has only produced regional champs."
He strolled over, dropped into my leather armchair draped with a championship belt, and kicked his feet up on my desk.
"This desk is mine now. You? Go teach the toddlers."
Chloe looked down at me with condescending pity. "Cole, Chad is a Wall Street elite. He can secure all the funding we need. Don't throw a temper tantrum."
I didn't say a word.
I just slowly slid open the desk drawer, my fingertips grazing the worn cover of the financial ledger I'd reviewed a hundred times.
Five hundred thousand dollars in company funds—wire-transferred by him to play the stock market, gone without a trace.
That was next month's rent. That was the travel and registration money for dozens of kids entering the state tournament.
I slid out a crisp sheet of paper. The words "Grand Larceny & Embezzlement" stood out sharper than any championship banner on the wall.
Looking up, I offered the elite a calm smile.
"Mr. Davis, your stock trading is even worse than that pathetic kick. Now, care to take a ride with me to the police precinct?"
I stood at the gym entrance. The sunlight hit the glass door, making the decal—Metro's Strongest Fight Club—gleam brilliantly.
Three years ago, this place was an abandoned, bankrupt boxing joint.
Back then, Chloe had smiled and suggested putting her name down as the registered owner to cut through the red tape. I hesitated for about three seconds.
In the end, I agreed, but I had my lawyer draft an ironclad side agreement.
I poured my life savings into it, stayed behind the scenes, and transformed it into a champion factory.
Now, Chloe strolled in, clinging tightly to another man's arm.
The man surveyed the fighters sweating buckets across the mats, wrinkling his nose in disgust at the smell of honest hard work.
Passing a standing heavy bag in the corner, he stopped and slapped the worn leather.
The rough texture scraped his soft palm. He pulled his hand back, shook it out, and scoffed:
"With cheap gear like this, how could anyone pack a real punch?"
"No wonder you guys only peak at the regional level. Mediocre at best."
The entire training floor went dead silent. Every fighter turned, their eyes burning with shock and fury.
I didn't explode. I just watched him in silence.
Ignoring the glares around him, the man cut straight through the mats and pushed open my office door.
I'd bought that office space with my very first purse. It wasn't big, but every square inch held sweat, blood, and memories.
Championship photos lined the walls, and draped over my chair was the regional belt I'd coached my star fighter, Leo, to win.
The man threw himself into my chair without asking, leaning back so the gold belt dug right into his spine.
Crossing his legs like a king inspecting his domain, he turned to Chloe.
"Place is way too cramped. I'll bring in my own interior design crew. And this tacky chair has to go."
He pointed a finger at me. "Send him down to coach the introductory kids' class. He looks like he has the patience for babysitting."
An awkward flicker crossed Chloe's face. Her gaze brushed over me for less than half a second before darting away.
Just three months ago, she was sitting on the floor mats with me, sharing cheap takeout.
Back then, she'd complain there wasn't enough meat in our meals and promise that once we made it big, we'd eat at high-end sushi bars every single night.
Then she started attending high-society networking mixers, claiming she was "hunting for sponsors." Every time she came back, her designer perfume smelled heavier, and the warmth in her eyes grew colder.
Now, holding Chad's arm, she smiled at me like she was tossing spare change to a beggar.
She stepped forward, her voice chillingly detached and dripping with superiority.
"Cole, let me introduce you. This is Chad Davis. He's a financial analyst fresh out of Wall Street."
She paused, as if giving my tiny brain time to process his grandeur.
"The gym's cash flow has been tight lately. Chad has generously agreed to inject capital and bail us out."
"He's going to modernize our entire operation. I expect you to cooperate fully."
Three years ago, she brought two hundred thousand dollars from her parents, asking to partner with me.
I thought we were building an empire together as partners in life and business. That was why I put her name on the legal documents.
I told her she only had to be an investor; I'd handle every ounce of the grind.
Now I finally saw it clearly: in her eyes, I was just an upgraded employee who could be replaced at any second.
My gaze drifted past them to the open ledger on my desk.
Just an hour ago, Max, our accountant, came to me in tears, revealing that five hundred thousand dollars had vanished into thin air.
That money was earmarked for next month's facility rent and the entry fees and travel expenses for Leo and the team heading to the State Championships.
I forced myself to stay ice-cold. Anger solves nothing. Cold, hard evidence does.
I walked into the office and shut the door behind me.
Outside, the fighters tracked my every move, their faces tight with concern.
They were my foundation. They were the reason I had to stay patient right now.
Chad raised an eyebrow at me, dripping with impatience.
"What? Not happy with the arrangement? You're just a trainer. Be grateful I'm keeping you on payroll. Don't bite the hand that feeds you."Chloe chimed in immediately. "Cole, Chad's vision is lightyears ahead of yours."
"He's hiring an elite international coaching staff. He's turning this place into a luxury athletic club."
"Your old-school, blue-collar methods should've been thrown out years ago."
"A luxury club?" I finally spoke, my voice as calm as still water.
"Fighting is about grit, sweat, and heart. It's not a playground for rich kids looking for an aesthetic."
"Stubborn dinosaur," Chad sneered.
"How much is your cheap sentimentality worth on the open market?"
"Hype and venture capital are king. Look at you—three years of grinding, and your peak achievement is a regional belt."
"Once I take over, I guarantee we'll have a National Champion walking out of here within six months."
He stood up, walked right into my space, and clapped a heavy, patronizing hand on my shoulder.
"Think bigger, kid. Go teach the toddlers. It'll tame that chip on your shoulder. Consider it a favor."
I didn't flinch. I let his hand rest there.
"And if I refuse?" I looked him dead in the eye.
Chad's smile vanished, his face hardening. "Refuse? Chloe is the legal owner, and she's given me full power of attorney."
"My word is law here. You either take the assignment, or you pack your locker and get the hell out."
Chloe backed him up instantly. "Cole, don't be an ungrateful fool."
"Without my seed money back then, you couldn't have even leased the mats."
"Fine," I said softly.
Both Chloe and Chad froze, clearly not expecting me to fold so easily.
Smug satisfaction flooded Chad's face.
"Smart boy. Report to Toddler Group A tomorrow morning."
With a flick of his wrist, he dismissed me.
Before leaving my office, I slid open the bottom drawer to grab an old coaching notebook. My fingers brushed against a cold piece of brass.
The backup key to the security control room. When I installed the cameras three years ago, I had an extra key made.
I slipped it between the pages of the notebook and walked out.
The door clicked shut behind me, cutting off the muffled whispers of the fighters outside.
The next morning, I showed up right on time for Toddler Group A.
Six- to eight-year-olds whose parents just wanted them to burn off energy.
Dressed in standard gym gear, I patiently taught them basic stances, jabs, and balance.
Through the glass wall, I watched the main mats. An imported coach was putting my varsity fighters through flashy, useless acrobatic drills.
That was Chad's "international team," supposedly brought in on an exorbitant hourly rate.
Leo, my six-foot-three heavyweight prodigy, was awkwardly attempting those delicate moves, his face twisted in utter frustration and rebellion.
A few veteran coaches gathered by my side, sighing heavily.
"Coach Cole, this is absolute bullshit!" Mack, the oldest trainer who'd been with me since day one, gritted his teeth. "That clown doesn't know the first thing about real combat! Those fancy poses are just target practice in the ring!"
"Leo's fighting in the State Qualifiers next month! Training like this will ruin him!"
I gestured for him to stay calm. "Chad's in charge right now. Just roll with it."
"I can't stand it!" Sam, a younger trainer, flushed red with rage. "Who does this guy think he is, shoving you down to the kids' room? Without you, this place would've gone under ten times over!"
I patted his shoulder and dropped my voice.
"Patience. Let him enjoy his little victory for a few days."
"Keep an eye on the team. Especially Leo. Don't let them pick fights with the new guy, and don't let anyone get injured."
"Got it," Mack nodded. He looked puzzled, but his trust in me was absolute.
"I heard Rex Vance over at Iron Bear MMA is poaching our roster again, throwing crazy money around."
"Yeah, Rex is a vulture with deep pockets. Always playing dirty."
My hands paused for a fraction of a second, but I didn't comment.
My eyes never left the main mats—and the second-floor office window.Before long, Chloe came strutting down the stairs.
She had swapped her casual clothes for a tight designer athleisure set, wearing the smirk of a victor.
"How does it feel, Cole? I honestly think this role suits you. At least you won't be dealing with all the violent brawling."
She leaned against the doorway, raising her voice just enough for the watching parents to hear.
I ignored her, bending down to brush the mat dust off a little boy who had tripped over his own feet.
Her smile thinned. She crossed her arms and stepped closer.
"I'm talking to you. Chad told me that as long as you keep your head down and stay in your lane, he'll give you a generous bonus at the end of the year."
"Tell him thank you for his charity," I said evenly, standing back up.
"What is that attitude?" Chloe's voice spiked.
"Cole, I'm throwing you a lifeline here."
"Don't think I don't know what's going on in your head. You think you can rally the veteran coaches and fighters to start a mutiny?"
"Let me tell you right now: it won't work. People follow the person who signs their paychecks."
"And right now, Chad and I are the ones paying them."
I looked at her, suddenly finding the whole scene almost comical.
"Chloe, do you actually know anything about this gym?"
"Do you know how many nights Mack stayed up on these mats, fixing a fighter's hook inch by inch?"
"You don't know a single thing."
A father standing by the door waiting for his kid frowned, whispering to the mom next to him:
"Who is this woman? She clearly doesn't know combat sports. Her attitude is gross."
It was quiet, but Chloe caught every single syllable.
Her face flushed crimson, her lips quivering as her voice screeched:
"All I need to know is that it makes money and funds a better lifestyle for me!"
"Instead of rotting away with you, choking on sweat and eating cheap greasy takeout every damn day!"
The surrounding parents turned to glare at her with disgust.
"Are you done? If you're done, please leave. You're disrupting my class," I said coolly.
Her face went from red to white. She hadn't expected this level of indifference.
She gritted her teeth and spun on her heels.
I knew those words would completely trigger her and Chad. They would escalate their moves against me.
Which was exactly what I was waiting for.
That afternoon, Max, the accountant, slipped into the locker room, trembling.
"Coach Cole, we've got a major problem."
"Chad just ordered me to transfer all the gym's liquid operating capital into his personal account."
My stomach tightened. "How much?"
"Almost everything. There's barely ten grand left in the emergency fund," Max's voice shook. "And I saw the draft of the new coaching contracts from legal. They slashed the base salary by sixty percent."
"They tied everything to impossible performance commissions, loaded with predatory penalty clauses."
"Max, take a deep breath." I gripped his shoulders, looking into his eyes.
"I need your help. Every wire transfer slip, every contract draft, and every single illegal order he gives you..."
"Take photos with your phone and send them to my private email. Keep it quiet. Don't get caught."
Earlier that afternoon, Chad had left his office door cracked open. Walking past, I heard him bragging on speakerphone about his stock returns.
To read off his brokerage credentials, he had lowered his voice, but my hearing was razor-sharp.
Fighters develop reflexes through muscle; listening is an instinct.
I caught the last few digits. That night, cross-referencing with the birthday sticky note stuck to his desk monitor, I unlocked his terminal on the third try.
The screen lit up.
Stock charting software icons covered his desktop.
I checked his browser history, pulled up the cached login for his trading account, and saw the credentials autosaved.
The second my finger clicked the mouse, my palms broke into a cold sweat.
The missing five hundred thousand dollars was sitting right in his realized loss column. In just two days, he had gambled away nearly one hundred and seventy thousand dollars.
I downloaded every transaction record, order sheet, and balance statement, encrypted the zip file, and sent it to my private server.
Once it cleared, I reset his desktop exactly as I found it and vanished into the shadows.Chad's new policies hit the gym like a sledgehammer.
When the new contracts landed on the veteran coaches' desks, the locker room erupted.
Base pay was gutted, while the bonus metrics were borderline psychotic.
For instance, coaches were required to maintain a ninety-five percent student renewal rate, or forfeit their entire monthly commission.
"Is this guy out of his damn mind? He's trying to starve us out!"
Mack slammed the paper onto the bench, his face purple with rage.
"It's worse than that—he wants us to walk so he doesn't have to pay severance!" Sam added bitterly. "Look at clause eight: if metrics aren't met, management can terminate without notice or compensation!"
A cluster of younger trainers gathered around, boiling with righteous fury.
"Coach Cole, we can't take this sitting down! Let's all walk out together and let him run this empty barn himself!"
"Yeah! We'll follow you! We can open our own place across town!"
I raised both hands, pressing the air down to silence them.
"Quitting plays right into his hands," I said calmly.
"If we walk, he brings in his yes-men and takes complete, uncontested control."
"And more importantly, what about Leo and the rest of the fight team?"
"The State Championships are weeks away. Changing coaches right before a tournament is tactical suicide."
The room went dead quiet.
They were ready to burn their bridges out of loyalty, but they couldn't abandon the fighters they'd molded with their own hands.
"So what the hell do we do?" Mack asked, deflated.
"Wait," I answered simply.
"Hold your ground. Run your classes as usual. Do not sign that paper. He's sweating far more than we are."
Over the next few days, an eerie calm settled over the facility.
We taught our classes, but not a single veteran signed the new deal.
Chad pushed and threatened, but we brushed him off with "we're reviewing it with our legal counsel."
Meanwhile, his "elite masterclass" for our varsity squad hit a brick wall.
Leo was stubborn as a mule. He only trusted my training.
When the foreign trainer told him to practice "aura meditation" and visualize dodging punches against thin air, Leo snapped.
"I train to smash through my opponent, not play pretend!"
Chad dragged Leo into the office, screaming at him and threatening to strip him of his tournament slot.
Leo slammed the door in his face and stormed down to the toddler room to find me. The six-foot-three giant had tears of rage in his eyes.
"Coach, I'm done. This isn't our home anymore."
I pulled him into the equipment corner and handed him an electrolyte drink. "Sit down."
"They're mocking everything we stand for!" Leo punched the padded wall. "They don't care about winning fights! They just care about looking pretty for TikTok and Instagram!"
"I know," I said, clapping his back.
"I know it hurts. But how long have you bled for this State title?"
"You really want to throw all that away?"
Leo lowered his head, his knuckles popping as he clenched his fists.
"Hold the line," I told him, locking eyes with him.
"Trust me. This nightmare ends soon."
"Right now, protect your body. Don't get injured."
"Whatever nonsense they tell you to do during the day, nod, smile, and go through the motions. Don't waste energy arguing."
"The real work happens at night. Once they leave, I'll train you one-on-one."
Leo snapped his head up, a fierce spark blazing back into his eyes. "Coach!"
"Go. Act normal."From that night forward, the main mats lit up every night after ten.
I worked with Leo, sharpening his footwork, breaking down tape of his opponents until our shirts were soaked in sweat.
Our bodies were exhausted, but our spirits were rock-solid.
Chad's patience, on the other hand, was completely worn through.
A few days later, my phone rang. It was the landlord, Mr. Henderson. Because I had always handled the facility's operations, he had my number on speed dial.
"Cole, where is this month's rent?"
"You're three days past due! If that wire doesn't hit my account by tomorrow, I'm locking the doors and starting eviction proceedings!"
His tone was ruthless.
"Mr. Henderson, please, we hit a small administrative snag. I will personally sort it out within forty-eight hours."
I talked him down while my mind raced.
The second I hung up, I grabbed Max.
He confirmed my worst fear: Chad hadn't just stiffed the landlord; he hadn't paid the electric bill or the commercial water utilities either.
Every penny of cash flow had been poured into the bottomless pit of his margin trading account.
Worse, registration for the State Championship closed tomorrow afternoon, and the fighters' entry fees were still unpaid.
Chad was burning the ship down with all of us trapped inside.
Right on cue, Chloe came looking for me again.
This time, the smug arrogance was gone, replaced by frantic exhaustion.
"Cole, can you please tell the coaches to just sign the damn papers?"
"Chad is in talks with massive venture capital firms. As soon as the internal staff is locked down, millions of dollars are going to flood in."
I looked at her as if she were a total stranger.
"By 'investors,' do you mean Chad himself?"
Her face paled. "What are you talking about?"
"Nothing," I said, shaking my head.
"Go tell him this: if he wants signatures, fine."
"Tell him to pay the overdue rent, settle the utilities, and pay for the kids' tournament entries. Until then, there's nothing to talk about."
"You!" Chloe gasped, outraged. "Are you threatening me? Cole, don't you dare forget—this gym belongs to me!"
"Not for much longer," I said quietly.
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" she shrieked.
I didn't waste another second on her and turned to walk away.
Chloe wasn't wearing her trendy athleisure today. She was in a wrinkled blouse, with dark circles bruised under her eyes.
She stood frozen, twisting her purse strap nervously, rehearsing her words before running after me.
"Cole, wait!" She grabbed my forearm, her voice cracking into a desperate plea. "I'm begging you, okay? Just help me out this once."
Looking into her eyes, all I saw was a shallow obsession with the fantasy of high society.
In that instant, the very last trace of affection I had held for her vanished into dust.
I pulled my arm free, enunciating every word:
"You chose this path. Good luck walking it."
Back in my apartment, I fired up my laptop, printed out the financial statements and trading logs, and slipped them into the spine of an old coaching binder on my desk.
Tomorrow, it would strike the final blow.The atmosphere inside the gym had hit rock bottom.
Notice of disconnection notices from the utility company were taped right onto the front glass doors.
The landlord was calling three times a day, his threats turning into final legal ultimatums.
The fighters were spiraling, especially the contenders prepping for State.
They kept asking me about their tournament brackets, and all I could do was tell them to hold on.
Chad had finally run out of runway.
He desperately needed a "win" to keep up appearances, and more importantly, signed contracts to show the real money-men he was pitching.
He had Chloe, as the official owner, call an all-hands mandatory meeting for every trainer and varsity fighter.
The meeting took place right in the middle of the main mats.
Chad and Chloe sat behind a folding table, stacked high with fresh non-negotiable contracts.
My old executive leather chair had been dragged out of the office, and Chad was lounging in it like a feudal lord.
The coaches and fighters stood before them, looking like inmates waiting for a verdict.
Chad cleared his throat, plastering on his signature condescending corporate grin.
"Everyone, I know there have been a few growing pains lately," he began smoothly. "Rest assured, this is just temporary friction during a corporate restructuring."
"Chloe and I are building this into an elite, commercialized combat brand."
"We are finalizing an eight-figure institutional investment round. The upside is limitless."
He painted a glittering fairy tale, but the floor remained dead silent. Nobody bought the snake oil.
His smile twitched. He tapped the table sharply, hardening his tone:
"Big rewards require elite standards. These new contracts are the first step toward professional excellence."
"They will separate the true killers with ambition from the lazy deadweight."
"Today, everyone makes a choice. Sign, or clear out your lockers."
His eyes locked onto me, heavy with arrogant challenge.
Chloe backed him up like a parrot: "Don't let disgruntled troublemakers poison your minds."
"Mr. Davis is doing this for the club's future, and for yours. Sign these, and you'll be founding partners in a multi-million-dollar franchise."
Watching her pathetic performance, I felt nothing but cold pity.
Mack couldn't hold it in any longer. He stepped forward, barking:
"Save the fairy tales, Davis! We haven't seen a dime of your millions, but we've all seen the shutoff notices on the door and the eviction warning from the landlord!"
"Are you going to pay the kids' State Championship entry fees or not?!"
Chad's expression instantly turned venomous. He wasn't used to blue-collar workers defying him in public.
"The tournament fees will be handled according to schedule," he hedged coldly. "Right now, we are discussing the contracts. Know your place, Coach Mack!"
"My place is on these mats, making sure my fighters win!" Mack bellowed back. "If they can't even step into the tournament cage, what future are you talking about?!"
"Yeah! Pay the entry fees!"
"Where's the rent money?!"
The fighters and trainers erupted, their shouts echoing off the rafters.
"Mutiny! This is complete insubordination!" Chad slammed his palm onto the table, jumping to his feet and pointing right at Mack's nose. "You're fired! Get the hell out of my facility right now!"Chloe panicked too, screeching: "What are you doing?! Security! Where the hell is security?!"
Two burly bouncers Chad had hired moved in fast, trying to grab Mack by the shoulders.
"Back off!" I barked.
I stepped right between the guards and Mack.
The bouncers took one look at my frame and froze dead in their tracks.
The tension in the gym tightened like a piano wire on the verge of snapping.
Chad was shaking with fury, his face contorting as he pointed a trembling finger at me.
"Cole Miller! I knew you were behind this! You think this little stunt scares me?"
"I run this show now! What I say goes!"
Desperate to reassert dominance, he launched into an unhinged rant.
"You short-sighted meatheads don't understand the first thing about venture capital!"
"You don't understand modern business models! Everything I've done is for the institutional longevity of this brand!"
"And you, Cole—you are the biggest anchor dragging this place down!"
The more he screamed, the more delusional he sounded.
"Your outdated, caveman training methods do nothing but produce brainless brawlers! What good is that?"
"I build stars! Influencers! Athletes with massive commercial crossover appeal!"
"As of right now, you are officially stripped of the Head Coach title! Report to the toddler room permanently—that is the final act of mercy you'll get from me!"
Chloe held onto his arm, looking at me with patronizing sympathy.
"Cole, Chad is Wall Street pedigree. He has the capital covered. Stop throwing a childish tantrum and fall in line."
I listened quietly as he laid out my "demotion," watching his veins bulge in his neck. It was pure comedy.
I glanced up at the wall clock. Perfect timing.
I had timed everything down to the minute. The authorities would arrive right at the peak of his hubris.
I turned and walked over to the folding table.
My old coaching binder was resting right on the corner.
Under everyone's stunned stares, I picked it up and brushed off the dust.
I flipped to the back pocket and pulled out a stack of printed documents.
Official bank wire receipts and certified trading account statements.
I set the binder down with a sharp slap and slid the papers across the table, stopping right under Chad's nose.
"Mr. Davis, your little five-hundred-thousand-dollar embezzlement scheme on the stock market was even sloppier than that pathetic kick of yours yesterday."
My voice wasn't loud, but it dropped like a bomb across the silent gym.
Every drop of blood drained from Chad's face.
I stared into his wide, terrified eyes, the corners of my mouth curling into a razor-sharp smile.
"Now... how about you take a ride with the police and explain it to them?"
Chapters (7)
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Watch & Promotions
- Search this code in the NovelMaster app:
513200Open NovelMaster → Search code → Find the title