
Theater: NovelMaster | Language: English
Synopsis
Tags: Bet Romance | Cheating Ex | Glow Up | Devoted Senior | The Ultimate Regret
After dating Tyler for three years, I genuinely thought I’d found the one.
Then, at a college reunion party, I overheard him bragging to his boys.
"Back then, it was just a bet. Whoever won got to ask out the campus queen."
"Who knew she’d actually take the bait? Now she’s clinging to me, and I can’t shake her off."
His friend asked, "So did you ever chase after the queen?"
He smirked. "Hell yeah. Chased her for three years. I’m almost at the finish line."
"What about Maya?"
"As long as she doesn't throw a fit, I don't mind keeping her as a side piece."
I stood there, listened in silence, and smiled.
The next day, I moved all my things out of our shared apartment and changed my number.
He assumed I was just throwing a tantrum.
Three months later, I posted a photo on Snapchat.
"Happily Married."
"Back then, it was just a bet. Whoever won got to ask out the campus queen."
Tyler’s voice drifted over from behind the booth, stabbing straight into my chest like a knife.
I froze at the corner of the hallway, my hands ice-cold.
"Who knew she’d actually take the bait? Now she’s clinging to me, and I can’t shake her off."
His tone was dripping with smug pride.
Casual, indifferent, as if he were talking about a piece of trash he forgot to throw away.
In his eyes, that was all I was.
"So did you ever chase after the queen?"
That was Jake's voice—Tyler’s best friend, and the guy who set us up in the first place.
Looking back now, being introduced to Tyler was probably just part of their sick little bet.
"Hell yeah," Tyler chuckled. "Chased her for three years. I’m almost at the finish line."
Three years.
The exact amount of time I had spent by his side.
"What about Maya, then?"
Tyler paused for a beat before answering.
"As long as she doesn't throw a fit, I don't mind keeping her as a side piece."
The glass slipped from my fingers, shattering against the carpeted floor.
Dark red liquid splattered outward, staining my heels, my ankles, and the hem of my dress.
A waiter rushed over and began cleaning it up, apologizing frantically, "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry!"
The laughter inside the booth died instantly.
Tyler poked his head out. When he saw me, his expression flickered for a few seconds.
He recovered quickly. Pushing off the back of the sofa, he stepped around the corner and walked up to me.
"Maya? What are you doing standing here?"
There was a hint of suspicion in his voice.
I looked up at his face—the face I had kissed countless times.
"Just bringing you some drinks."
My voice was shockingly calm.
"Oh."
He visibly relaxed and took the empty tray from my hands.
There weren't even any drinks left on it, but he was too drunk to notice.
"Wait for me for a bit. Let me wrap up with the guys, and I’ll drive you home."
He turned to walk back.
"Tyler," I called out.
He looked back over his shoulder. A flash of irritation crossed his face before he smoothed it over.
"I’m heading home first," I said.
"You sure you don't need a ride?"
"I'm sure."
"Alright. Get home safe and send me a Snapchat when you get back."
With that, he slipped right back into the booth without another glance.
Behind me, Jake's lowered voice drifted out. "Did she hear anything?"
Tyler’s reply was even louder than before, almost as if he wanted me to hear.
"So what if she did? She doesn't have the guts to do anything about it."
He was right. Ever since I was a kid, I never picked fights, never made scenes. Whenever I was hurt, I just swallowed it down.
My mom always said I was too soft; my dad warned me that people would walk all over me.
They were right.
Starting tonight, though, that girl was dead.
When I stepped out of the lounge, the late September night air hit my face with a chill.
Standing on the sidewalk, I took a long, deep breath.
Cold air filled my lungs, but the suffocating knot in my chest refused to untangle.
I waited for my Uber, my mind replaying the past three years on an endless loop.
Whenever he said he had to work late, I stayed up until 2:00 AM waiting for him.
Whenever he went out for business drinks, I waited until my stomach ulcer flared up, yet I never called once to rush him home.
Whenever he stayed out playing poker with the guys, I stayed awake until dawn just to make him hangover soup.
I thought he was grinding for our future.
Turns out, he was just building a path toward someone else.Back at our apartment, the silence was deafening.
Empty takeout containers cluttered the coffee table, his jacket was tossed over the couch, and a gaming controller lay discarded on the floor.
Normally, I would have cleaned it all up without a second thought.
Tonight, I didn't want to touch a single thing.
I walked into the bedroom and switched on the small bedside lamp.
Warm amber light spilled over the crystal globe on my nightstand.
He had given it to me, claiming he bought it on a trip to Europe. I found out later he just ordered it off Amazon for twelve bucks.
I never called him out on it.
Over these three years, I had made countless excuses for him.
When he forgot my birthday, I told myself he was busy.
When he forgot our anniversary, I told myself men were just careless.
When he got way too close with Amber, I told myself they were just friends, and that I shouldn't be petty.
I had turned myself into the perfect idiot.
When I woke up the next morning, the other side of the bed was empty.
Tyler hadn't come home.
I sat up and checked my phone. It was already past ten.
He had sent a few messages:
"What time do you get off work? Come home early and cook tonight. Amber said she's craving your sweet and sour ribs."
"Oh, and Amber just bought a new coat. Check it out and tell me if it looks good on her. She sent me a picture, I’m forwarding it to you."
The third message was a photo. Amber was wearing a cream-colored coat, snapping a mirror selfie with a sweet, radiant smile.
I set the phone down and got ready.
I put on a fresh outfit, applied some light makeup, and walked out the door.
I didn't go to work.
I called in sick to take care of a few things.
First, I went to the bank and transferred every single cent out of the joint account Tyler and I shared.
The account was under my name, and every penny had been saved by me.
Tyler made more money than I did, but most of his paycheck went toward clubbing, poker, and buying drinks for his friends.
Every dollar in that savings account came from me cutting corners and penny-pinching.
Next, I went to the mobile carrier store and got a new SIM card.
Finally, I stopped by my office to submit a formal request for a week of paid leave.
My manager asked if everything was alright at home. I told her there was a family emergency.
She nodded and told me to take all the time I needed.
By the time I got back to the apartment, it was nearly dark outside.
The living room lights were blazing. Tyler was already home.
He was lounging on the couch, holding his phone to his ear, deep in conversation.
Hearing the front door click, he glanced at me and pointed his chin toward a grocery bag on the coffee table, signaling me to start cooking.
I slipped into my house slippers and walked over.
He hung up the phone, sounding annoyed.
"Where the hell have you been?"
"Amber said she'd be here by six. It's almost six now, and you haven't even touched the groceries."
I stood in front of the table, looking at the bag.
Ribs, tenderloin, fresh greens, tofu. He had bought them, but every single item was something Amber loved.
"Tyler," I said calmly.
"What?"
"I'm not cooking tonight."
He froze, as if he hadn't heard me properly.
A couple of seconds passed before his brow furrowed. "Excuse me?"
"I said, I'm not cooking."
He set his phone down, sat up straight, and glared at me.
His gaze was filled with confusion and impatience, but not an ounce of concern.
"Maya, what is your problem today?"
He spoke as if he were trying to appease a bratty child.
"It's just dinner. Amber isn't a stranger. Do you really have to be so dramatic?"
"I have things to do."
"What things?"
"Work stuff. I need to take care of it."
"Didn't you take time off today?"
"Because I took time off, work piled up."
I kept my voice completely steady.
Tyler’s scowl deepened.
He glared at me, then glanced at the groceries on the table, and finally let out a heavy, irritated sigh.
"Fine. Go do your work. I’ll order delivery."
His voice was dripping with resentment.
"At least unpack the food and put it in the fridge so it doesn't go bad."
I didn't move an inch.
"Maya?"
"Put it away yourself."
His expression darkened.
"Is this because I didn't come home last night?"
"I told you, I went out drinking with Jake and the guys until two in the morning."
"I didn't want to wake you up when I got back, so I crashed on Jake's couch."
I looked at him lying to my face without batting an eye.
Did he think the video on Jake’s Instagram story—the one where Tyler had his arm around Amber singing karaoke—was an AI hallucination?
I didn't bother exposing him.
"I'm not mad. I just have things to take care of. I'm heading out."
I grabbed my bag and headed for the door.
His voice boomed from behind me.
"Maya, hold on a second! What the hell is wrong with you today?"
I didn't look back.I wandered the streets for two hours.
My phone buzzed repeatedly with messages from Tyler.
"When are you coming home?"
"Amber's already here. You're not home, and she's asking where you went."
"Maya, stop playing games. That's enough."
The last one was a voice note.
I tapped to listen. His voice carried an arrogant chuckle.
"Alright, alright, my bad for pissing you off. Just come home. I saved you some food."
It was past nine when I finally walked back into the apartment.
The moment I pushed the door open, a wave of noise washed over me.
The TV was blaring a late-night talk show, the audience howling with laughter.
Takeout containers and empty boba cups cluttered the coffee table.
Tyler and Amber were sitting side by side on the sofa.
Amber had her bare feet kicked up on the coffee table, her toenails painted a bright, seductive red.
Tyler’s arm was draped casually across the back of the couch behind her.
From where I stood, it looked entirely like he was wrapping his arm around her shoulders.
Hearing the door, Amber turned around first.
Seeing me, she flashed a sweet, innocent smile.
"Hey Maya! You're finally back!"
She wore an oversized white knit sweater, her hair spilling over her shoulders, her makeup flawless.
Tyler turned his head too, glanced at me, and pointed toward the mess on the table.
"Great, you're back. Clean this up, will you?"
I stood rooted to the spot.
I slipped off my shoes, set my bag on the console table, and walked into the living room.
Amber watched me with a warm, crescent-eyed smile.
"Maya, since you weren't home for dinner, Tyler ordered delivery. There was so much food, we couldn't finish it."
"Are you hungry? There are some leftovers."
I glanced at her, then turned my gaze to Tyler.
"I'm not hungry," I said. "Clean up your own trash."
The room instantly went dead silent.
The TV hosts were still cracking jokes, but their canned laughter sounded painfully grating in the quiet room.
Tyler’s face darkened completely.
"Maya, say that again."
"I said, clean up your own trash."
He slammed his palm down onto the coffee table.
"Are you out of your f*cking mind?"
He didn't yell, but every single word burned with fury.
"I invited Amber over for dinner tonight. You gave me attitude and walked out, and now you come back acting like a total bitch?"
"Maya, have I spoiled you so much that you think you can walk all over me?"
Amber reached out, gently tugging at his sleeve.
"Tyler, don't be mad. Maya probably just had a bad day."
Tyler took a deep breath, fighting down his temper.
"Fine. Maya, tell me right now—what is this tantrum about?"
His tone shifted from rage to an interrogation.
"Is it because I didn't come home last night?"
"Or are you pissed off because Amber is here? Say something!"
I looked at him. I looked at the man I had loved with all my heart for three whole years.
When he pursued me three years ago, he waited outside my dorm every single morning with breakfast.
When I had a fever, he skipped class to sit by my side in the clinic, holding my hand for three hours straight.
Was any of that real?
Or was it all just an act to win a stupid bet?
"Tyler," I whispered.
"I might be in a bad mood, but I am not cleaning this up."
His patience finally snapped.
He bolted to his feet, kicking the coffee table so hard it skidded across the hardwood floor.
Amber shrank back in fright, but didn't say a word. She just sat there quietly, watching us.
Tyler marched right up to me, towering over me.
"I am going to say this one last time," he growled through gritted teeth. "Clean this mess up, and then go pour me a glass of water."
I looked straight into his eyes. There was only anger and irritation in them. Not a single trace of affection.
"No."
*SLAP!*
He swung his right hand and struck me across the face.The force sent me stumbling sideways. The back of my head slammed against the hallway wall with a dull thud.
"Tyler!"
Amber jumped off the couch and grabbed his arm.
"Don't hit her! Can't you two just talk this out?"
Tyler was panting heavily, his eyes bloodshot like a rabid animal.
"Maya, are you going to clean it up or not?"
I leaned against the wall, slowly straightening my back.
My head spun, but I refused to fall.
I looked past him at Amber, admiring her perfectly calculated look of distress and concern.
Every time she put on that helpless act, Tyler would feel an overwhelming urge to protect her—and hate me even more.
"No," I said.
This time, my voice didn't waver at all.
Tyler moved to lunge at me again, but Amber held him back, pressing her body against his arm.
"Tyler, please stop! Maya's just in a bad mood, let's not make a scene."
"Just leave the mess here. She'll clean it up tomorrow once she cools off."
Tyler stood there, his chest heaving violently.
He stared at me, and I stared right back at them.
"Fine," he finally rasped, his voice rough.
"You clean it up first thing in the morning."
"Also, Amber is staying over tonight. It’s too late for her to drive back."
"You sleep in the guest room with me. Give her the master bedroom."
Amber tugged at his sleeve again, feigning guilt. "Tyler, that doesn't feel right. Maya will be upset..."
"Who gives a damn if she's upset?" Tyler sneered, turning to look at Amber with sickening tenderness. "All that matters is that you're comfortable."
Amber lowered her gaze, the corners of her lips curling into a smug, subtle smirk.
"Okay," I said.
I didn't object.
Both of them stared at me, clearly shocked by how easily I surrendered.
"You guys take the master bedroom," I added smoothly, then turned on my heel and walked into the guest room.
Night fell.
Tyler lay on the far side of the bed, his back turned to me.
He was texting someone; the glow from his screen illuminated the wall.
I couldn't sleep. I just lay there in the dark, staring at the ceiling.
Sometime later, the mattress shifted slightly.
Tyler sat up. His movements were calculated, careful not to wake me.
He slipped into his slides, grabbed his phone, and tiptoed out of the guest room.
The door clicked shut with a faint snap.
I remained frozen in the dark.
A few minutes later, muffled giggles drifted from the master bedroom next door, followed by hushed whispers.
The guest room shared a wall with the master bedroom, and the soundproofing was terrible.
I could hear his low laughter, her soft gasps, and the rhythmic squeak of the bed springs.
I bit down hard on my lower lip until I tasted the metallic tang of blood.
My heart felt like it was being crushed in a vice.
I lay there listening to the sickening symphony next door for what felt like an eternity.
Finally, I slipped out from under the covers.
Barefoot, I walked down the hall and stopped right outside the master bedroom door.
The sounds inside were loud and clear.
I raised my phone, opened the voice memo app, and pressed the microphone against the door.
I recorded for about two minutes.
Then I lowered the phone, turned around, and walked back to the guest room.
I tucked the phone beneath my pillow, lay down, and closed my eyes.
This time, the sounds from next door couldn't hurt me anymore.
Not because I couldn't hear them, but because my heart was completely dead.
Chapters (4)
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Watch & Promotions
- Search this code in the NovelMaster app:
531352Open NovelMaster → Search code → Find the title