
Theater: GoodNovel | Language: English
Synopsis
Ten seconds before the bomb detonated, I decisively clipped the blue wire, saving hundreds of lives inside the high-rise building.
At the celebration dinner, Robert Vance—our bomb squad captain—handed the top honor to the new rookie, Vivian Reed.
“Let the new girl have it. You don’t want people to say I favor you, do you?”
Throughout our five years of secret dating, he had used this same excuse repeatedly to shut me up before I could even complain.
Every life-threatening mission fell entirely on my shoulders.
Yet every honor and public commendation was without fail handed to someone else.
Clutching my bleeding side, I retreated to a corner.
From afar, I watched Vivian accept the vibrant bouquet and medal, soaking in everyone’s adoration under the blinding glare of the live broadcast cameras.
During dinner, a teammate curiously asked her how she had possessed the nerve to make the critical choice.
Vivian cast a shy, fluttering glance at Robert, covering her mouth with a coy laugh.
“Oh, that wasn’t any technical strategy. Red was our captain’s favorite color, so I just couldn’t bear to do it.”
The hall erupted into a wave of suggestive laughter, even colleagues chanting for them to kiss.
Swept up in the electric mood, Robert—who had always shunned my very shadow in public—cupped her chin and pressed his lips to hers right before everyone’s eyes.
A pang erupted in my heart.
Five years of life-or-death missions together had taught Robert to take my presence and devotion for granted.
He had forgotten one fundamental truth: elite bomb technicians never hesitate.
It was high time I defused him like the ticking time bomb he was.
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
Ten seconds before the bomb detonated, I decisively clipped the blue wire, saving hundreds of lives inside the high-rise building.
At the celebration dinner, Robert Vance—our bomb squad captain—handed the top honor to the new rookie, Vivian Reed.
“Let the new girl have it. You don’t want people to say I favor you, do you?”
Throughout our five years of secret dating, he had used this same excuse repeatedly to shut me up before I could even complain.
Every life-threatening mission fell entirely on my shoulders.
Yet every honor and public commendation was without fail handed to someone else.
Clutching my bleeding side, I retreated to a corner.
From afar, I watched Vivian accept the vibrant bouquet and medal, soaking in everyone’s adoration under the blinding glare of the live broadcast cameras.
During dinner, a teammate curiously asked her how she had possessed the nerve to make the critical choice.
Vivian cast a shy, fluttering glance at Robert, covering her mouth with a coy laugh.
“Oh, that wasn’t any technical strategy. Red was our captain’s favorite color, so I just couldn’t bear to do it.”
The hall erupted into a wave of suggestive laughter, even colleagues chanting for them to kiss.
Swept up in the electric mood, Robert—who had always shunned my very shadow in public—cupped her chin and pressed his lips to hers right before everyone’s eyes.
A pang erupted in my heart.
Five years of life-or-death missions together had taught Robert to take my presence and devotion for granted.
He had forgotten one fundamental truth: elite bomb technicians never hesitate.
It was high time I defused him like the ticking time bomb he was.
Chapter 1
As the kiss ended, the energy inside the room reached a fever pitch.
A male colleague handed a brim-full glass of strong liquor to Vivian.
“You just bagged the top honor. You gotta drain this glass!”
Vivian’s eyes shimmered as she shrank behind Robert.
“Robert, I’m not good with alcohol.”
“Stop messing with her.”
Frowning slightly, Robert reached out, snatched the glass, and drained it in a single gulp.
He instructed the server to bring some honey lemon tea, turning to warn the group with a stern face:
“Vivian has a sensitive stomach. From now on, I’ll be drinking on her behalf.”
A sudden wave of suggestive ribbing erupted through the room.
“Oh ho! Where did our captain go and who’s this gallant knight?
“Guess Vivian really carries that kind of pull!”
A flurry of mixed emotions churned inside me. So Robert was capable of being attentive and caring.
Yet he came home yesterday with blackberries—my least favorite fruit.
Amid the cheerful laughter, a glass of liquor was thrust in front of me.
“Emily, you’re the veteran here—you can’t decline!”
Frowning, I looked toward Robert out of pure instinct.
“My hand was cut by bomb debris and got inflamed. I took cephalosporin before coming over. Can’t drink tonight.”
The colleague muttered in dissatisfaction:
“Everyone’s in high spirits—aren’t you just killing the mood?”
Ignoring him, I stared stubbornly at Robert.
I hoped he would step in and be protective of me the way he was moments ago of Vivian.
Instead, he cast a cool, indifferent glance at me.
“Can’t help you with this one. Drink up.”
With that, he silently mouthed two syllables to me:
“Gossip.”
For the avoidance of such, we had maintained maximum distance between us at the department over the years.
Unless strictly necessary, we never spoke or touched.
No one knew how fierce his craving for me was once we returned to the same roof after work.
The surrounding colleagues gave him enthusiastic thumbs-up.
“Well said, captain. No special treatment, save for Vivian, am I right?”
Without another word, I picked up the glass.
The stinging liquid hit my throat, choking me until my eyes welled up with tears, and I fled the celebration.
Standing at the bus stop, I habitually pulled out my phone.
In the pinned chat box, the conversation between Robert and me was left hanging since yesterday.
“Tomorrow’s mission is dangerous. Stay safe.”
He hadn’t replied.
Above it, a dense wall of messages sent entirely from my end.
“Will you be home for dinner? I made your favorite dishes.
“It’s getting cold. I put a scarf on the coat rack for you.”
And the last message had sent me was:
“Take extra care of our new rookie Vivian.”
The corner of my mouth twitched. Just then I noticed Robert had posted a rare update on his Instagram.
It was a photo of Vivian’s silhouette against the sunset, captioned:
“Fresh blood. A bright future ahead.”
The comment section was filled with teasing from colleagues, with some asking when they could expect wedding invitations.
He had not published a post in ages.
When we first got official, I had wanted a public announcement.
Robert had refused without a second thought, claiming avoiding office gossip would be good for us both.
For five years, his public persona had been squeaky clean, without a trace of me.
Holding my phone, expressionless, I gave the post a like.
It turned out that utter disappointment would rob one of all their tears.
Back home, I expertly bandaged my wound and turned on the computer.
On the desktop sat the marriage registration form I had filled out long ago.
Hovering the pointer over the icon, I hesitated to take one last look.
In the end, I dragged my fingers across the trackpad to drop it into the trash.
Chapter 2
Logging into my email, I clicked open the long-drafted transfer request form.
Blackridge—the location with the highest casualty rate for explosive specialists.
Once I went there, my personnel file would be classified under top secrecy, effectively wiping my existence from the world.
Without hesitation, I submitted the form.
Robert, you wanted so bad to avoid gossip. This was what you asked for.
From this day on, my life and death would no longer have anything to do with you.
Suppressing the sickening discomfort left behind by the alcohol, I pulled an all-nighter.
At last, I compiled the techniques utilized during the mission into a comprehensive report.
This was our squad’s most pivotal technical breakthrough of the year, a method mastered solely by me.
Once I submitted this report, I could earn the Special Merit Medal.
It was my father’s final wish before he died in the line of duty.
Holding the report, I pushed open the door to Robert’s office.
Scanning through it, he nodded with satisfaction.
But then, he logged into the intranet, pulled up the digital version, and added Vivian’s name right in front of mine for the author field.
I slammed my hands against the desk, staring at him in utter disbelief.
“What do you think you’re doing, making Vivian the primary author?”
Without even raising his head, Robert replied, “Vivian needs this to pass her probationary period. You’re a veteran, no need to obsess over such trivial.
“Just treat it as something you co-authored. Leave the spotlight for the rookie so people don’t start whispering.”
I hadn’t expected him to sound this righteous, my fingers trembling out of control.
“You know full well how important this report is to me!”
Staring dead at him, my voice came out raw and raspy.
“I’ve put my life on the line all these years just to fulfill my father’s final wish! All I need is this one heavyweight report, to get me that Special Merit Medal!”
Robert’s expression darkened instantly, a flash of annoyance surfacing in his eyes at being contradicted.
“There will be plenty of chances to earn merits in the future. Do you really have to pick a fight over this? Grow up, will you?”
He let out a scoff, his fingers tapping rapidly against the keyboard.
“Fine. If you’re not willing to settle for secondary authorship, don’t bother having your name on it at all.”
He proceeded to delete my name entirely, leaving Vivian the sole author.
Staring at his icy expression, I swallowed back the words surging up my throat.
Robert had no idea that this was indeed my final chance.
Once I left for Blackridge next month, Emily Stone would cease to exist.
Sensing that something was off, a hint of hesitation flickered in Robert’s eyes.
Checking the closed blinds around the room to ensure no one was watching, he let out a sigh and walked over to my side.
Reaching out his hand, he attempted to pull me into his embrace.
“My bad, alright? I’ll get you some black forest cake later—”
The resentment I kept suppressed for years erupted at that very instant.
“I hate black forest cake. You know damn well whose favorite it is!”
As I spoke, my gaze locked onto his wrist.
It was a brand-new Kronos couple’s watch.
Just half an hour ago at the morning briefing, I had seen the women’s version on Vivian’s wrist.
Stepping back abruptly, my voice quavered.
“Did Vivian give you that?”
Robert instinctively tucked his hand away, his uncomfortable defense.
“She gave it to me in front of everyone at the celebration last night. Couldn’t say no, could I?”
“Why not?”
I scoffed out of sheer fury, the rims of my eyes burning with pain.
The day my father died in the line of duty, I had taken Robert to see him one last time.
Trembling, my father took off his amulet ring and pressed it into Robert’s palm.
“It kept me safe for most of my life. I’m handing it over to you, and Emily, my dearest treasure of all.”
Robert had accepted it with absolute solemnity in front of him.
Yet the moment we left my family home, he turned around and shoved the ring into a drawer.
No matter how I pleaded or coaxed, he refused with a cold face every single time.
“The squad is full of gossip. If someone recognizes this as your father’s possession, it will spark rumors.
“Emily, keep the big picture in mind. We can’t have people talking.”
In the end, I had sewn it to the inside of his jacket, invisible to anyone, so he would agree to wear it.
It wasn’t until Vivian stepped into the picture that I realized his insistence on avoiding gossip was selective after all.
Staring at him, I squeezed out each and every word:
“When Vivian gives you something, you couldn’t say no. But when it came to the keepsake my dad gave you, you treated it like trash. Did you ever consider for a second what I might feel?”
Robert’s face hardened, and his voice raised uncomfortably.
“What the hell is wrong with you today? I’m exhausted enough trying to maneuver around the squad every day—can’t you be a little more mature?”
Before his words could settle, a knock echoed from outside the door.
“Captain, are you busy?”
Hearing the sergeant’s voice, Robert snapped back several steps like he had been struck by lightning, putting immediate distance between us.
“The report’s authorship is settled. Don’t bring personal baggage into the workplace. You may leave now.”
Straightening his collar, he slipped back into a strictly businesslike demeanor.
“Not at all. Come in.”
Chapter 3
The sergeant pushed open the door and stepped inside.
“Captain, headquarters just issued a set of the latest high-grade explosive ordnance disposal suits. There’s only one set—how do you want to allocate it?”
Robert instinctively glanced at me, his lips twitching slightly.
I cut in before he could speak, two voices ringing out in the office simultaneously.
“Give it to Vivian.”
The sergeant froze, and a flash of clear embarrassment crossed Robert’s face.
Clearing his throat, he tried to cover it up:
“That’s right. Vivian is new, and her physical stamina and psychological resilience lag behind. Good gear can save a life.”
The sergeant hesitated:
“But Emily takes on almost all of the most dangerous missions. Don’t you think—”
Before he could finish, Robert cut him off.
“It’s fine. Emily is a veteran with a high stress tolerance. She can manage just fine with the old gear.”
At that, the sergeant simply nodded before stepping out.
The moment the door shut, the pressure inside the room plummeted.
Robert pressed his lips together and looked at me, seemingly wanting to say something to diffuse the tension.
The corners of my mouth twitched into a self-deprecating smile.
“No need to explain. I understand. Leave the best gear for the rookie, show how selfless our captain is—and to avoid gossip, of course.”
Robert’s brows furrowed tightly. He strode over, placed a hand on my shoulder, and softened his tone.
“Emily, you’ve just been working around the clock lately and taking on too much stress.
“How about this? For this afternoon’s routine psych evaluation, I’ll cancel my schedule and accompany you myself.”
Because bomb technicians operate under constant high pressure, psychological evaluations after major operations were standard procedure.
That afternoon, I changed into loose, comfortable clothes and walked toward the evaluation room alone.
Just outside the door, I caught Vivian’s sweet, delicate voice floating out from inside.
“Captain, this amulet ring on the inside of your jacket looks so unique.
“I’ve been seeing bomb countdowns every time I close my eyes of late. Could you give it to me to calm my nerves?”
I held my breath involuntarily, waiting for Robert’s reply.
The very next second, the crisp sound of scissors cutting fabric echoed from within.
“Here, take it. Next time you have a nightmare, call me. No matter how late, I’ll answer.”
A memory flashed violently in my mind—my first mission with Robert.
Having barely escaped death, I clung to him in horror, unable to calm my racing heart for a long while.
He had pushed me away without a second thought.
“What was that for? What if someone sees us? Emily, you’re being far too fragile.”
Holding back my tears, I shoved the door open.
Vivian was playing with the amulet my father had given Robert.
Catching the look on my face, Robert instinctively stepped sideways, shielding Vivian behind his body.
“Emily, why didn’t you knock before coming in?”
His protective stance cut straight to my core, shattering my restraint as tears streamed down my face.
“That’s the only thing I have left of my father! What right do you have to give it away?”
Seeing me out of control, Robert stepped forward and snapped in a hushed, furious voice:
“Are you crazy? It’s just a ring! I’ll buy you a bunch if you wish!
“Stop making a scene! Do you want the entire squad rushing over to watch this circus and discover our relationship?”
The wound on my wrist throbbed with excruciating pain under his grip, yet it paled in comparison to the agony ripping through my chest.
At his glare, I finally snapped.
Prying his fingers off me one by one, I spoke with absolute calm:
“I’m done having anything to do with you. Now give me back my father’s ring.”
Staring at the dead silence in my eyes, Robert froze.
The very next instant, a red alert siren blared throughout the hallway.
Chapter 4
“Emergency deployment! Dual-bomb crisis at the downtown Meridian Center! Assemble immediately!”
Without giving Robert another glance, I turned on my heel and charged into the gear room.
As I pulled on my blast suit, I caught Vivian out of the corner of my eye stepping into the newly issued top-grade gear.
That suit was not only lightweight, but also lined with premium shock-absorption materials.
My old suit, however, was heavy, stifling, and the comms inside the helmet hummed with frequent, ear-splitting static.
I pulled my gaze away, silently grabbed my equipment kit, and was the first to sprint onto the truck.
The floor plans sent from command center revealed two active bombs.
One was structurally complex, strapped to the main pillar in the first-floor atrium.
The other was simple, placed in the wide-open underground parking garage.
Robert stared at the schematics, issuing orders without a second of hesitation:
“Vivian, I’m heading to the garage with you. Handle this well, and I’ll petition for your fast-track promotion.
“Emily, you take the atrium. The crowd has already been evacuated.”
The moment the words left his mouth, even the SWAT commander standing beside us couldn’t help but frown.
“The bomb in the atrium is extremely complex. Shouldn’t you deploy both technicians to collaborate there?”
“Unnecessary,” Robert cut in flatly. “Emily is our veteran. I trust her to handle the situation. Vivian needs field experience—the garage is perfect for her.”
Listening to him defending his decision, I pulled my helmet on without an ounce of expression.
The bomb was strapped to the central load-bearing pillar of the atrium, an intricate web of interwoven wires where a single misstep meant instant detonation.
Holding my breath, I inspected every detail with precision.
Sweat poured down my forehead, stinging my eyes, yet now the least of my worries. Finally I managed to unlock the exact sequence to cut the wires.
Just as I was about to make the first cut, Vivian’s shrill scream tore through the comms:
“Ah! Captain, I… I think I clipped the wrong wire!”
At that exact second, the bomb before my eyes emitted a piercing buzz.
The anti-tamper link connecting the two devices triggered, and the countdown instantly plummeted to its final three minutes!
Three minutes was nowhere near enough time to disarm a bomb this complex.
“What the hell did you just do?” the SWAT commander barked in fury.
“I don’t know… my hand slipped. Captain, I’m terrified—I can’t feel my legs. Help me…”
Robert’s voice was calm:
“Stop crying. Keep your blast suit secure. I’m pulling you out!”
In that moment, my whole world went silent.
All that remained was the relentless, rhythmic ticking of the countdown in my ears.
I scrambled to rush out, only for a falling piece of steel rebar to collapse, pinning me to the floor.
“Robert,” I gritted through tightly clenched teeth. “I’ve fallen. This old blast suit is too heavy, and with my injured wrist, I can’t push myself up…”
Over the earpiece, however, came Robert’s impatient voice.
“This is no time for your jealous act! Vivian’s paralyzed with fear and can’t stand up.
“You’re a battle-tested veteran—drop the weakling act.”
With that, he switched to our private comms channel, lowering his voice to placate me:
“Once I carry her out to safety, I’ll come right back for you. We’re in this together, you and me. Hang in there!”
In this together?
Coming from his mouth, what a joke those words proved to be.
“Don’t bother.”
I spoke those final words with eerie calm, then switched off both the comms and the tracking locator inside my helmet.
As the countdown struck zero, a deafening explosion echoed through the sky above the mall.
Outside the perimeter tape, Robert used every ounce of his strength to drag Vivian into the safe zone.
The instant the roar of the blast hit his ears, he whipped his head around, every drop of color draining from his face.
“Emily!”
- Search this code in the GoodNovel app:
R57709 Open GoodNovel → Search code → Find the title