
Theater: MotoNovel | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
After seven years of bleeding for this company alongside Marcus, we finally rang the opening bell on the New York Stock Exchange.
And then Vivian Shaw waltzed in, appointed as our new Chief Executive Officer.
"Elena’s profit margin on this supplier contract is far too low," Vivian said, gesturing languidly toward the thick stack of papers on the mahogany desk. "Let's just scrap it and void the deal."
She was pointing at the exclusive distribution agreement I had spent three months securing—the highest margin anyone in our industry had ever negotiated, signed only after I drank myself into a bleeding stomach ulcer at client dinners.
"Whatever you think is best," Marcus replied without missing a beat. "I'll have legal terminate the contract tomorrow morning."
Just like that, the two of them pivoted. They drifted from venture capital allocations to secondary offerings, from executive bonuses to board seats.
I stood in the doorway of the penthouse suite, holding a plastic cup of warm water and my prescription stomach pills, unable to wedge a single syllable into their conversation.
When it came time to execute the equity restructuring agreement, Marcus transferred thirty percent of the founder shares directly into Vivian’s name.
"We're in a volatile transition period," he told me later, his voice measured, cloaked in that cool corporate pragmatism he had perfected. "Vivian has the pedigree, the Ivy League MBA, and the executive polish to take this firm global. She just returned to the States; she needs significant equity to establish authority with the board."
He took a step closer, looking down at me with an earnest, patronizing gaze. "You're a veteran here, Elena. You need to be the sensible one. Look at the bigger picture."
I stared at their two signatures inked side by side on the parchment agreement. I said nothing.
Seven years ago, in a water-stained basement apartment that smelled of mildew and cheap instant noodles, I had walked away from a lucrative six-figur
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
After seven years of bleeding for this company alongside Marcus, we finally rang the opening bell on the New York Stock Exchange.
And then Vivian Shaw waltzed in, appointed as our new Chief Executive Officer.
"Elena’s profit margin on this supplier contract is far too low," Vivian said, gesturing languidly toward the thick stack of papers on the mahogany desk. "Let's just scrap it and void the deal."
She was pointing at the exclusive distribution agreement I had spent three months securing—the highest margin anyone in our industry had ever negotiated, signed only after I drank myself into a bleeding stomach ulcer at client dinners.
"Whatever you think is best," Marcus replied without missing a beat. "I'll have legal terminate the contract tomorrow morning."
Just like that, the two of them pivoted. They drifted from venture capital allocations to secondary offerings, from executive bonuses to board seats.
I stood in the doorway of the penthouse suite, holding a plastic cup of warm water and my prescription stomach pills, unable to wedge a single syllable into their conversation.
When it came time to execute the equity restructuring agreement, Marcus transferred thirty percent of the founder shares directly into Vivian’s name.
"We're in a volatile transition period," he told me later, his voice measured, cloaked in that cool corporate pragmatism he had perfected. "Vivian has the pedigree, the Ivy League MBA, and the executive polish to take this firm global. She just returned to the States; she needs significant equity to establish authority with the board."
He took a step closer, looking down at me with an earnest, patronizing gaze. "You're a veteran here, Elena. You need to be the sensible one. Look at the bigger picture."
I stared at their two signatures inked side by side on the parchment agreement. I said nothing.
Seven years ago, in a water-stained basement apartment that smelled of mildew and cheap instant noodles, I had walked away from a lucrative six-figure offer at a premier fragrance house just to keep Marcus afloat through countless nights on the brink of bankruptcy. Back then, with bloodshot eyes and trembling hands, he had held me against his chest and sworn we would conquer this city together.
"Once we go public, Elena, you'll be my sole partner. My only co-founder. My wife."
Now the harvest had come, and the very first crown he forged was placed delicately onto someone else's head.
If there was no place for me in the empire I had built from the marrow of my bones, I no longer saw any reason to diminish myself to fit inside it.
Quietly, I signed the equity waiver. Then, I signed the resignation form.
And while I was at it, I submitted an immediate, unilateral revocation of every core patent licensed under my name.
…
"Take your medicine first, Elena."
Marcus casually pushed my signed resignation letter to the corner of his desk, as if it were nothing more than a stray coffee receipt.
"The equity transfer is just a tactical placeholder. Vivian just moved back to New York; I have to back her up publicly. Stop throwing a tantrum. I’m not approving your resignation. Go home, sleep it off, and tomorrow evening I’ll drive you down to that little bakery in Soho for those warm brioches you love."
He reached out, his long, slender fingers peeling back the foil on my blister pack. He pressed the warm paper cup into my palm, his fingertips brushing my skin, and gently tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear.
My throat tightened. A dull, throbbing ache coiled through my stomach lining, radiating up my spine.
Beside the desk, Vivian let out a soft, delicate cough. Her eyelashes fluttered, rimmed with sudden moisture. "Marcus... am I making things impossible for you? If Elena is upset, maybe I should just surrender the shares back to her."
Marcus turned instantly.
He slipped off his bespoke charcoal suit jacket—the one I had painstakingly hand-steamed for him late last night—and draped it tenderly over Vivian’s shoulders.
"The air conditioning in here is too aggressive," he murmured, his hands lingering as he straightened the lapels around her neck. "You have a delicate constitution. Don't catch a chill."
Then he glanced back at me, his tone smoothing into that familiar, practiced gentleness. "Elena, this is all for the company's future. Try to be understanding."
I swallowed the metallic taste of blood rising in the back of my mouth and set the paper cup down on the edge of the desk.
"Do whatever you want," I said.
Leaving those four words behind, I turned on my heel and walked toward the elevators.
I had barely pressed the down button when a warm, firm hand clamped around my wrist. Marcus had jogged out after me.
"Don't be petty, Elena," he sighed, his thumb rubbing the pulse point on my arm. "You know why Vivian left the country seven years ago. When the loan sharks were pounding on our door, she was caught in the crossfire and suffered a severe nervous breakdown. She had to go abroad for treatment. In the end, I owe her for that. But my Elena has always been the strongest, most sensible woman I know."
He leaned in closer, his breath warm against my temple. "Let me take you to that private tasting room in Tribeca tonight. A proper date, just the two of us, to make it up to you. All right?"
In the past, whenever he dropped his voice into that soft, pleading cadence, I would swallow my pride, chew up my grievances, and digest them in silence.
I looked at his strikingly handsome face—a face I had loved to the point of self-erasure—and felt a mountain of unspoken words die in my throat.
"Marcus! What am I going to do?"
Vivian rushed out into the corridor, clutching her phone, her face pale as porcelain. "The building super just messaged me. The entire block is having an emergency electrical overhaul tonight. The power is completely out, and I... you know how terrified I am of the dark..."
Her manicured fingers caught the cuff of Marcus's crisp white dress shirt.
A subtle crease formed between Marcus's brows. Slowly, his fingers loosened their grip on my wrist. The faint warmth of his skin vanished, instantly swept away by the building's frigid ventilation.
"Elena, Vivian gets panic attacks easily," he said, his voice laced with hasty regret. "I have to drive her home and settle her in. We’ll do Tribeca another night. Be good. Call an Uber home, okay?"
He didn't wait for my reply.
He turned back to Vivian, his arm curving protectively around her shoulders as he guided her toward his private executive elevator to the underground garage.
I stood completely still, watching their synchronized silhouettes blur into the distance before disappearing behind polished steel doors.
Pulling out my phone, I logged into the federal portal for the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
There on the screen were the registrations for three proprietary fragrance formulation patents—the very lifeblood of our brand's luxury product line.
Formulas I had spent hundreds of sleepless nights in the laboratory developing, nearly burning out my olfactory nerves with thousands of experimental iterations. Contracts I had signed only after ruining my stomach lining at corporate dinners. Supply chains I had safeguarded by standing on factory floors through freezing winters and stifling heat.
Every single milestone of the past seven years felt like a cruel, hysterical mockery.
Without a second of hesitation, I tapped the confirmation button: "Revoke Commercial Licensing Rights."
When the elevator doors opened again, a system notification flashed green: "Revocation Confirmed. Effective Immediately."
The distant hum of celebratory champagne toasts in the corporate suites faded into white noise.
My mind had never been clearer.
Leaving the glass skyscraper behind, I didn't return to our luxury penthouse downtown. Instead, I descended into the subway, transferring across three different train lines.
Two hours later, I stood in front of a rusted iron door in an old, neglected quarter of the outer boroughs.
This was the very first basement property Marcus had bought after we secured our initial angel investment. He had wrapped his arms around my waist back then, whispering that we would keep this place forever as a monument to our humble beginnings—a sanctuary to return to whenever we lost our way.
The hinges shrieked with a dry, metallic protest as I pushed the door open.
What struck me first wasn't just the damp odor of mildew, but a pungent, chaotic clash of high-end essential oils recklessly dumped together.
I stopped at the threshold.
In the center of the room sat the solid oak workbench I had built specifically for formula testing. Now, glass pipettes and graduated cylinders lay tipped over across the scarred wood. Reagent vials rolled aimlessly across the floor. Drafts of molecular ratios were stained with dark coffee rings.
The rare, exorbitantly priced raw botanical essences I had kept locked in the cedar cabinet had been ransacked and tossed carelessly around the table legs.
I stepped carefully around the shattered glass.
In my pocket, my phone buzzed. It was a one-minute voice memo from Marcus.
I tapped it. Vivian’s airy, melodic giggle drifted through the speaker, accompanied by the clink of crystal vials:
"Marcus, this pure Bulgarian rose absolute you gave Elena has incredible purity, but the molecular profile is terribly dated. I’m just going to brighten it with a dash of bergamot to modernize it…"
Then, Marcus's low, indulgent voice came through:
"Elena, I had a spare key made for Vivian. She’s been fascinated by perfumery lately and wanted a quiet studio to design her own bespoke signature scent. This place is private."
"Your supplies and equipment were just sitting there gathering dust anyway. I had a cleaning crew tidy up the room so Vivian could borrow it for a few days. You don't mind, right?"
I gripped the edge of the oak workbench until my knuckles turned white, my fingernails digging deep into the grain of the wood.
That bottle of vintage rose absolute—the one Vivian was casually ruining with cheap citrus—was something Marcus had spent his very last thousand dollars on seven years ago. He had sprinted across half the city in a torrential downpour just to bring it to me on my birthday, soaked to the bone, telling me it was the seed from which our dreams would grow.
And now, the sacred ground of our seven-year struggle, along with the intellectual property that defined my life's work, had been reduced by his offhand remark into a playground toy to amuse Vivian Shaw.
My gaze drifted to the corner of the room, landing on a beat-up cardboard box sealed with yellowed packing tape.
I ripped the tape open.
At the very top lay a small clay saucepan with a hairline fracture along the handle. During our third year, when Marcus drank himself into an acute gastric perforation, I had used this pot every single day to brew soothing herbal remedies, refusing to throw it out even when the ceramic cracked.
Beneath it lay a cheap plastic music box—the birthday gift he bought me with his very first bonus check.
And at the very bottom was a hand-drawn blueprint of our future corporate headquarters, sketched on the back of scrap paper. It read "Marcus Foster & Elena Ward", enclosed in a naive, hand-drawn heart.
I grabbed an industrial-sized black contractor trash bag.
I threw the cracked pot inside. The ceramic shattered against the bottom with a dull, hollow thud.
Then the music box. The blueprint. Every single scrap of memorabilia packed into that box. I tossed them in, one by one.
My phone screen lit up with a notification from Instagram.
Vivian had posted a new photo: two steaming mugs of whole milk resting on an imported velvet ottoman. In the background, tucked into the corner of a designer couch, was a small plush bear pillow.
I recognized it instantly. It was part of the custom pair I had spent weeks searching for when Marcus and I first moved into the penthouse.
Her caption read: "No matter how far you wander, the one beside you in the end is still your first love."
Marcus had liked the post within seconds.
I locked my screen, knotted the heavy plastic bag, and dragged it out to the dumpster in the alley.
Leaving the neighborhood, I called a moving company and headed straight to the downtown penthouse.
Every slab of marble, every light fixture, every custom piece of furniture in that home had been personally curated by me. I had visited dozens of showrooms just to find the exact slate-gray linen sofa Marcus preferred.
When the movers arrived with their packing crates, I pointed toward the master bedroom and living room.
"Everything that belongs to me—my clothes, personal records, the rugs, the artwork, the ceramic decor—pack it all. Take it away."
For two hours, men carried boxes in and out.
When they finished, the apartment was completely stripped. It looked cavernous, sterile, and cold—an exact reflection of Marcus Foster's heart.
Carrying my final suitcase, I stopped at the foyer.
I fished my key fob from my bag and set it down dead-center on the marble console table.
Just as the heavy front door began to swing shut, my phone vibrated with a text from Marcus:
"Vivian has severe night terrors, so I'm crashing on her guest couch tonight to make sure she's okay. Go to sleep early. I ordered your favorite dinner to the penthouse; my assistant should be dropping it off shortly."
I stared at the screen, feeling nothing but a deep, bone-weary exhaustion.
I held down his contact card. "Delete."
Then, I added his number to the global block list.
Opening my call log, I scrolled to a contact I hadn't dialed in six months.
"Does your offer for an equity-backed master formulation partnership still stand?" I asked when the line connected.
"It does," the voice on the other end replied without hesitation.
"Good. I'll see you tomorrow."
...
The following morning, I walked into corporate headquarters as usual.
Yet, when I tapped my executive keycard against the glass entrance of the Global Fragrance R&D Center, the reader flashed red and emitted a harsh, piercing chirp:
"Access Denied. Authorization Revoked."
I paused, swiping the card two more times. The same shrill rejection echoed down the hall.
Passing junior associates threw sideways glances in my direction, several newer hires whispering among themselves near the water cooler.
Taking a measured breath, I turned toward Human Resources.
When I stepped into the office, the HR director, Linda, turned pale. She scrambled to her feet, fidgeting with her lanyard.
"Elena... Ms. Ward... what brings you down here personally?"
"Why has my badge been locked out of the R&D labs?" I asked calmly.
Linda wrung her hands, avoiding my eyes entirely. She reached into a drawer and pulled out a freshly printed executive transfer memo.
"This came down directly from Mr. Foster late yesterday evening," she stammered. "Your title... has been reassigned to Senior Archivist in Central Records. Your corporate classification has been adjusted to general staff. As a result, your high-security clearance for the formulation labs was automatically purged by the system."
Central Records.
It was an unventilated basement storage room where the company archived discarded tax filings and obsolete hardware. It didn't even have functional air conditioning.
Seeing my silence, Linda assumed I was devastated. She sighed, leaning across the desk in a conspiratorial whisper.
"Look, Elena, try not to take it too hard. Everyone on the executive floor has been talking... Mr. Foster's devotion to Ms. Shaw is completely off the charts. Handing her the entire R&D department and prime equity right after the IPO? It’s basically an official coronation. It’s obvious she’s going to be the official lady of the house now..."
Listening to Linda’s breathless gossip, a wave of profound, absurd irony washed over me.
"The lady of the house."
Seven years ago, when the company was just four people splitting cheap takeout on the floor, who didn't know that Marcus and I were inseparable?
Yet as the company expanded toward its IPO, Marcus had taken my hands in his, looking at me with absolute devotion as he pleaded:
"Elena, we're in critical funding rounds. Institutional investors want institutional governance. If they think we’re romantically entangled, they’ll view our leadership as volatile. For the sake of the firm, let’s keep our relationship quiet. The moment we ring that bell, I swear I will give you the most lavish wedding this city has ever seen."
I had believed him. For his "greater good," I willingly stepped into the shadows, burying myself in the laboratory as a silent engine of creation.
And now, the newly hired staff knew only Vivian Shaw. None of them had ever heard the name Elena Ward.
Realizing she might have crossed a line, Linda quickly covered her mouth with a nervous laugh. "Oh, listen to me rambling... But you're a founding veteran, Elena! You have seniority. Just lie low in the archives for a few weeks; once the dust settles, I'm sure Mr. Foster will bring you right back up."
I offered her a faint, polite smile. Without offering a word of explanation, I turned toward the executive suite.
The frosted glass door to the CEO's office was cracked slightly open. Vivian’s teasing, melodic voice drifted out into the hallway.
"Marcus, did you really cut off all of Elena's laboratory access? Are you genuinely excluding her from every core project from now on?"
My hand rested lightly on the brass handle.
From inside came Marcus’s easy, careless chuckle—a tone steeped in the arrogant certainty of a man who believed seven years of history made him untouchable.
"It’s fine. I’ve known her for seven years; I know exactly how her mind works. She’s just throwing a little tantrum. She would never actually break up with me over corporate administrative restructuring."
He paused, the sound of ice shifting in a crystal tumbler audible through the gap.
"Besides, the company is public now. She doesn't need to kill herself in the lab anymore. It’s time she stepped back and focused on building our home. Staying in, taking care of our private life as a full-time wife—isn't that a thousand times better than sweating on the front lines?"
Slowly, smoothly, I lifted my hand off the brass handle.
Whatever lingering impulse I had harbored to confront him, to demand an accounting for the years I had bled away, evaporated into absolute nothingness.
I turned around and walked out of the building without looking back.
...
The post-IPO flagship product launch was broadcast live across every major financial and lifestyle network.
On the colossal LED screen behind the main stage, the words "Sole Master Perfumer & Creator" glowed in sharp typography, followed directly by the name: "Vivian Shaw."
I sat in the minimalist boardroom of my new venture across town, a glass of warm water resting between my palms, watching the live feed.
Under the blinding stage lights, Marcus stood at the podium, exuding the effortless charisma of a freshly minted billionaire.
"Moving forward," Marcus projected smoothly into the microphone, "our brand will ascend to unprecedented heights under the visionary stewardship of our new Chief Executive Officer, Vivian Shaw."
He extended a gallant, theatrical hand toward the wings.
Vivian, dressed in an immaculate ivory haute couture gown, glided onto the stage. Cradled delicately in her arms was a battered, leather-bound notebook with frayed, darkened edges.
It was my personal formulation journal. Every single page contained my late-night molecular annotations, handwritten ratios, and cross-out revisions.
Facing the battery of flashing cameras, she offered a bashful, luminous smile and tilted the journal toward the media pit.
"This journal contains the blood, sweat, and tears of my many years researching abroad," she announced softly. "Countless sleepless nights of experimentation, refined until perfection. Today, I am honored to finally share it with the world."
The camera zoomed in tight on the leather cover.
On the bottom right corner was a faint, jagged burn mark.
It was from three years ago, when I had worked thirty-six hours straight in that freezing basement studio and accidentally knocked over an alcohol burner.
Now, that scar was being presented to the world as proof of Vivian Shaw's tireless devotion in Europe.
A seasoned business reporter in the front row stood up, thrusting a microphone forward with sharp skepticism.
"Mr. Foster, industry insiders have long credited Ms. Elena Ward as the primary creative force behind this proprietary line. Why is she absent from today's launch? Is there an internal dispute regarding the attribution of these master formulas?"
Marcus took the microphone from the stand, casually reaching over to brush a stray curl from Vivian's cheek with effortless intimacy.
"Elena served admirably as Vivian's operational executive assistant over the past seven years," he answered smoothly, his voice radiating warmth and poise. "She is currently taking an extended sabbatical due to health reasons. But make no mistake—Vivian's foundational formulas are the true soul of this brand. Rumors, as always, stop with the wise."
Another reporter immediately pressed: "Public filings show that Ms. Ward holds several registered patents in high-end olfactory chemistry. Who actually owns the intellectual property for this new launch?"
Marcus offered a polished, unfazed chuckle. "All research conducted under our banner belongs to the enterprise. Vivian's technical leadership speaks for itself. We refuse to let baseless external speculation damage the unity of our core team. Elena has always been a team player who prioritizes the greater good. She fully supports our executive decisions."
On the conference table beside me, my phone lit up with a text from an unknown number.
"Elena, the launch is an overwhelming triumph. I left a limited-edition Birkin for you at the penthouse, and I’ve wired your quarterly bonus directly into your account."
"When you’re done sulking, come home. Don’t make me worry."
I flipped the phone face-down onto the table. I didn't reply.
On the screen, the broadcast cut to a sweeping wide angle as the event reached its crescendo.
Marcus took Vivian by the hand, leading her to the center of the stage.
A digital countdown began flashing on the massive display. Before them stood a ceremonial red pedestal labeled "Initiate Global Mass Production."
With a single press, thirty million dollars' worth of automated manufacturing lines across three states would roar to life.
"Join us as we witness history in the making," the master of ceremonies bellowed.
Marcus smiled, his hand descending toward the glass console.
Suddenly, two frantic figures burst through the backstage curtains, sprinting across the stage.
The General Counsel and the Chief Manufacturing Officer flanked Marcus, physically grabbing his arm to pull him back from the pedestal.
"Mr. Foster, do not press it! The automated formulation systems have been completely locked down!"
Marcus’s brow furrowed in sharp irritation. He violently wrenched his arm from the lawyer’s grip. "What is wrong with you? We are broadcasting live to millions of investors!"
The General Counsel’s voice cracked in sheer panic. He thrust a trembling document, stamped with official federal seals, into Marcus’s face.
"The United States Patent and Trademark Office just served an emergency injunction! The commercial licensing rights for all three core proprietary scent formulations have been unilaterally revoked by the registered owner—Elena Ward!"
"If we initiate production," the lawyer gasped, his face ash-white, "we face statutory damages in the tens of millions. The SEC will freeze trading, and we could face immediate involuntary delisting!"
Marcus’s composure shattered. His eyes wide with disbelief, he pulled his personal phone from his pocket and frantically dialed my number.
Through the stage audio, a cold, automated voice echoed from his handset:
"We're sorry. The number you have dialed is no longer in service."
- Search this code in the MotoNovel app:
579102 Open MotoNovel → Search code → Find the title