ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

My Boyfriend Ignored Me And Kept Taking Photos Of My Best Friend

MotoNovel · English · Theater: MotoNovel, Lang: English ·

My Boyfriend Ignored Me And Kept Taking Photos Of My Best Friend

Theater: MotoNovel  |  Language: English  |  NEW

Synopsis

Patrick insisted on bringing my best friend, Vanessa, on our weekend getaway to Disneyland.
The moment we met up at the parking lot, he tossed the car keys into my lap.
"You drive. I need to sit in the back and take photos for Vanessa."
Vanessa laughed playfully, punching his arm. "Where are your manners, Patrick? Making your girlfriend drive while you wait on me in the back? That looks terrible."
Patrick let out a helpless chuckle. "Sadie is my girlfriend, but you're my royalty. How could that ever be the same thing?"
In the three years we had been dating, Patrick had never once taken a photo of me on his own initiative.
On my birthday last year, I put on full makeup and begged him softly, "Just one picture, please?"
He held up his phone, clicked twice without even looking, and handed it back to me with a sigh. "You're just not photogenic. No angle looks good on you."
Yet his camera roll was overflowing with candid shots of Vanessa.
Her profile while eating dinner, the exact second she turned around to laugh, her hair blowing gently in the wind.
Hundreds of photos, and every single one was stunning.
Sitting in the front seat, I listened as they chatted about concerts I had never attended and giggled over high school classmates I didn't know.
Their laughter filled the car, and I couldn't squeeze a single word into the conversation.
I rolled down the window just an inch. The cool wind rushed in, making my eyes sting with unshed tears.
This three-year one-woman show... I was completely done performing.
…

Chapters (1)

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

1 Patrick insisted on bringing my best friend, Vanessa, on our weekend getaway to Disneyland. The moment we met up at the parking lot, he tossed the car keys into my lap. "You drive. I need to sit in the back and take photos for Vanessa." Vanessa laughed playfully, punching his arm. "Where are your manners, Patrick? Making your girlfriend drive while you wait on me in the back? That looks terrible." Patrick let out a helpless chuckle. "Sadie is my girlfriend, but you're my royalty. How could that ever be the same thing?" In the three years we had been dating, Patrick had never once taken a photo of me on his own initiative. On my birthday last year, I put on full makeup and begged him softly, "Just one picture, please?" He held up his phone, clicked twice without even looking, and handed it back to me with a sigh. "You're just not photogenic. No angle looks good on you." Yet his camera roll was overflowing with candid shots of Vanessa. Her profile while eating dinner, the exact second she turned around to laugh, her hair blowing gently in the wind. Hundreds of photos, and every single one was stunning. Sitting in the front seat, I listened as they chatted about concerts I had never attended and giggled over high school classmates I didn't know. Their laughter filled the car, and I couldn't squeeze a single word into the conversation. I rolled down the window just an inch. The cool wind rushed in, making my eyes sting with unshed tears. This three-year one-woman show... I was completely done performing. … I pulled the car over right outside the park restrooms, stepping inside to change my pad. The whole thing took less than three minutes. When I came back out, the entrance was empty except for a park worker in a mascot costume. Patrick and Vanessa were gone. The two people who promised to wait for me had disappeared without a trace. It was fine. I was used to it by now. I pulled out my phone and dialed Patrick's number. It rang for a full minute before he finally picked up. The background noise was deafening, filled with high-pitched screams. "Where are you guys?" "Vanessa wanted to ride the TRON coaster. The line wasn't too long, so I brought her over first." Vanessa's voice rang out in the background. "Hurry up! We're almost at the front!" A dull, throb of cramps hit my lower abdomen, like a blunt needle being slowly twisted inside me. "My stomach hurts really bad. Can you come pick me up?" "I have to stay in line with Vanessa! Don't you have legs?" Patrick snapped impatiently. "It's just your period. Do you really have to be this dramatic?" Vanessa's voice suddenly chimed in over the speaker. "Who gave you permission to talk to my Sadie like that? You're asking for a beating!" The two of them began playful banter over the line, with Patrick laughingly begging for mercy. They completely forgot the call was still connected. One was the man I had dated for three years. The other was the best friend I had known for seven. Neither of them cared enough to ask if I was in pain. After a long while, Vanessa finally panted into the phone, "Bestie, I gave him a piece of my mind for you!" I bit my lip hard, my voice barely audible. "Thanks." Vanessa shouted at Patrick, "Apologize to my Sadie right now!" She commanded him like a trained puppy. Patrick sounded thoroughly reluctant. "Fine, fine. For Vanessa's sake, I won't hold a grudge against you." "There's a dark ride right near you. Go stand in line for us. Vanessa and I will meet you there after this." Before I could answer, the line went dead. I looked at the line winding around the corner, walked over, and took my place at the back. I stood under the scorching sun for nearly two hours, sweat soaking through the back of my shirt. The dull ache in my abdomen gradually sharpened into a tearing pain. Still, I held on until Patrick and Vanessa finally strolled over. They were sharing a single sun umbrella, laughing and chatting, with Vanessa practically glued to Patrick's arm. Patrick tilted his head to listen to her, slanting the umbrella almost entirely over her side. I had brought an umbrella in my bag that morning, but Patrick had glanced at it with disgust, complaining it was too heavy and forcing me to leave it behind. Yet when it came to Vanessa's umbrella, he didn't seem to mind the weight at all. A bitter chill rushed through my chest. Patrick walked up to me and handed over a plastic cup. Condensation ran down the sides, and ice cubes clinked loudly inside. "Vanessa said you'd be thirsty after waiting so long, so she specifically bought this iced boba tea to cool you down." The drink was ice-cold, so cold that my heart froze along with it. When I didn't reach for it, Patrick helpfully popped the straw in and shoved it toward my mouth. "You only waited a little while. Come on, don't throw a fit." My hands went limp, and the plastic cup plummeted straight to the pavement. The milk tea splashed everywhere, brown liquid pooling on the concrete as ice cubes rolled across the ground. Vanessa let out a sharp gasp, bending down immediately to clean it up. Patrick yanked her back by her arm and roared at me, "What the hell is wrong with you?! Vanessa was nice enough to buy you a drink, who do you think you are?!" Vanessa crouched down, her fingers hovering over the puddle, looking as if she were on the verge of tears. I spoke softly, my voice devoid of emotion. "I am on my period. Did both of you somehow forget that?" Patrick's entire face stiffened, his grip on Vanessa loosening. He knelt down on one knee, using his jacket sleeve to gently wipe the splashed liquid off my heels. His tone softened instantly. "Alright, don't be mad. It was my fault, I remembered wrong." I had mentioned it clearly over the phone just an hour ago. A deep wave of helplessness washed over me. He was always like this. After inflicting harm, he would throw me a tiny crumb of tenderness. As if to say, See? I still care about you. Seeing that I remained silent, Patrick stood up with a smile and rubbed my head, like he was petting a stray cat that had finally decided to be obedient. "I knew my Sadie was the sweetest. Here, drink this warm one." He offered me another cup. It was a cup of hot cocoa that Vanessa had already been drinking. A faint smear of pink lipstick was clearly visible on the straw. I looked at the straw, unable to tell whether he did this on purpose or simply didn't care enough to notice. Over the past three years, I had received so many second-hand items. Food Vanessa didn't like, things she was done using, gifts she was bored of. He always offered everything to Vanessa first. Only when she rejected it would he hand it over to me, saying, "These are all nice things, don't be picky, Sadie." Terrified of wasting things, I had swallowed my pride and accepted them every single time. But this time, I truly didn't want it anymore. I walked over and tossed the hot cocoa directly into a nearby trash bin. Then I pulled out my phone and opened the official email from Imperial College London. I took a deep breath and tapped the confirmation button to accept my offer. The Space Mountain, the Soarin' ride, the Pixar coaster... For the rest of the day, Patrick carried Vanessa's bags, accompanying her on every single ride she wanted to try. All three of our heavy backpacks were hung around my shoulders, the straps digging deep into my collarbones. Walking in high heels, the sharp cramps in my stomach never ceased. I was forced to slow my pace, gradually falling a couple of yards behind them. Vanessa turned around and called out, "Sadie, hurry up!" Only then did Patrick glance back at me. His gaze slid from my pale face down to my feet, his eyebrows pulling into a tight knot. "We're just walking around Disney, why on earth did you wear high heels?" "Sadie, you need to learn when it's appropriate to show off." I looked down at the pale pink heels on my feet. Patrick had personally chosen them for me. The subtle shimmer on the leather had looked exactly like the light in his eyes back then. I had grown up in a single-parent home with my mother, wearing hand-me-down clothes from relatives. The very first pair of high heels I ever owned was a gift from Patrick. That day, he had dropped to one knee, gently cradling my ankle as he slipped the shoe onto my foot, looking up with a soft smile. "Only beautiful shoes like these are worthy of my Sadie." "Wear them for me every day from now on. Whenever your feet get tired, I'll carry you." Yet now, he found my shoes ostentatious and completely out of place. And the person resting on his back was no longer me. I stared at the tips of my shoes for a long moment, my throat dry as dust. "I won't wear them anymore." Never again. Vanessa threw Patrick a playful, scolding glare. "Sadie, don't mind Patrick's blunt words. He's just worried about you. Walking all day in heels is exhausting! My feet hurt just looking at you." She paused, then added smoothly, "Why don't you just take them off? Walking barefoot is actually pretty comfortable. Besides, it's not like anyone is looking at you anyway." Passersby turned their heads, watching our small confrontation with curious eyes. I pulled my hem down to hide the raw blisters on my ankles, squeezing out a humiliating, "No thanks." Patrick's tone turned completely indifferent. "Leave her alone. She grew up struggling, she isn't used to delicate treatment." He wasn't wrong. When I first got my period as a young girl, we were too poor to afford proper pads, so I had to layer toilet paper over and over again. When I started college, I would debate for twenty minutes over ordering a four-dollar meat dish in the cafeteria. Until Patrick entered my life. He had dragged me to the dining hall, declaring, "Whatever I eat, you eat." In just one month, he helped me gain six pounds. I couldn't even bring myself to hate him completely. There was only a dull, aching numbness left in my chest. In the distance, the fairytale castle lit up as the loudspeakers announced that the fireworks display would begin in five minutes. Patrick lifted Vanessa up onto his shoulders, pushing through the dense crowd. I was a step too slow, separated from them by a wall of people. Three, two, one. The night sky exploded into brilliant color. Fireworks burst into thousands of glittering stars, blanketing the dark sky above the castle. The falling embers looked just like the meteor shower during my sophomore year. Back then, it was freezing on the hilltop. Vanessa had taken off her heavy winter coat and wrapped it tightly around me. I had hugged her, asking, "Aren't you cold?" She had shivered with a wide grin. "I have plenty of insulation! Protecting my girl Sadie is what matters most." She caught a terrible cold after that night, and Patrick and I took turns bringing her hot meals in her dorm. One afternoon, she pinched my cheek gently. "Silly Sadie, don't be so good to me. I'm scared that if I ever do something bad, you'll be heartbroken." Yet the person who once claimed she was scared of breaking my heart was now wrapped in my boyfriend's arms, watching the fireworks. The crowd around me cheered and gasped. Vanessa excitedly tugged at Patrick's sleeve. "Take a picture! Quick, take one!" Patrick held up his camera, snapping photos of her as the bursting light illuminated both their faces. Vanessa took the camera, looked at the screen, and pouted. "You took such an ugly picture of me!" Patrick leaned in close. "You look adorable." "You!" Vanessa hit his chest playfully. "Retake it! Let's take a couple's photo this time!" Patrick naturally wrapped his arm around Vanessa's waist, resting his chin lightly on top of her head. By the time they finished snapping photos, the fireworks show had come to an end. Patrick glanced over at me, suddenly speaking up. "You should take a photo too. It's rare for us to come all the way here." I froze for a second. It was a rare moment for him to offer to take my picture. I smoothed down my messy hair, stepping timidly toward the castle backdrop. Patrick raised his phone, clicked once without care, and lowered his arm. "Done." Vanessa leaned over to look at his screen, her expression turning complicated. "This one... it's completely blurry." Patrick glanced at it casually. "Oh, my hand shook. Want another one?" I rasped out, my voice raspy, "No need." My phone vibrated in my palm. It was a voice note from my mother. I held the speaker to my ear. "Sadie, sweetie, are you having fun at Disney?" The night wind blew past, making my eyes sting. I squeezed my fist tight, typing back: I'm having a great time, Mom. Did Patrick take nice pictures of you? Send some to Mom! I stared at the screen, typed a line of text, and deleted it. Finally, I replied: Yes, he took some. Then I typed another line and hit send. Mom, if someone takes really beautiful photos of a person, is it because they're a good photographer, or because they love that person? My mother replied almost instantly: Because they love them, of course! You can only capture true beauty when you love someone. Silly girl, why are you asking that? A bitter smile tugged at my lips. Nothing, Mom. Just curious. I locked my screen, suddenly feeling that everything around me was utterly meaningless. I turned my head to look at Patrick, my voice as light as a feather. "Patrick, let me break up with you." At that exact moment, the loud exit music blasted from the castle speakers, completely drowning out my words. Patrick tilted his head toward me, frowning as he leaned in. "What did you say?" Forget it. It didn't matter anymore. The fairytale wasn't over yet, but it was time for me to take my leave. The moment I got back to our apartment, I booked a one-way flight and began pulling out my suitcases. Just as I unzipped my bag, a banking notification popped up on my phone screen. An unauthorized transfer of twelve thousand dollars had just cleared. That account held my entire tuition savings, money I had earned over four years of working grueling shifts as a waitress. Only Patrick and I knew the password. My heart sank into a dark abyss. I threw open the bedroom door. Patrick was sitting on the living room couch playing video games. Vanessa was lounging right beside him, her legs casually resting across his lap. I stormed over, confronting Patrick directly. "Did you touch my money?!" "Vanessa is launching a start-up business. I transferred some funds over for her initial overhead." My voice began to tremble violently. "Did you discuss it with me?! Did you even ask for my permission?!" Patrick let out a cold scoff. "It's just twelve grand. I don't even have the right to move that tiny amount?" That twelve thousand dollars was my only safety net for studying abroad. Without that money, I wouldn't survive a single month in London. I wouldn't even be able to afford my return flight home! How dare he? How dare he touch it! I shook with fury. "That is my tuition money! I worked grueling double shifts, working through every single summer and winter break without going home once, just to save that money!" He waved his hand with sheer impatience. "Are you serious right now? It's not like the money evaporated." "Sadie, be reasonable for once! Vanessa is your best friend. What's wrong with helping her out when she's short on cash for a start-up?" I let out a tragic, hollow laugh. "Patrick, whose boyfriend are you really?" Patrick looked at me with an exhausted expression, as if looking at a spoiled, unreasonable child. He pulled a paper contract off the coffee table and handed it to me. "Forget about grad school. With your family's financial situation, you can't afford that lifestyle anyway." "I already lined up a job for you. Go complete your onboarding tomorrow." I looked down at the paper. A manual shift worker contract for an assembly plant, paying three hundred dollars a month. On the signature line for Employee, Patrick had already signed my name on my behalf. My voice shook uncontrollably. "In your eyes, I'm only worthy of a job like this?" Patrick let out a heavy sigh. "You have an ordinary state degree. You should be grateful someone is willing to hire you." "You can't expect me to support you for the rest of your life, can you? Vanessa's family can afford to put her through higher education. Can yours?" I stared at Patrick, feeling as though my chest had been ripped open with a blunt blade. During my sophomore year, when I first mentioned wanting to pursue a master's degree, he had stayed up all night helping me research universities. Back then, he had kissed my forehead tenderly, saying, "Go for it! I'll fund your studies, even if you want to go all the way to a Ph.D.!" It turned out the expiration date on that promise was only three short years. Vanessa spoke up in a soft, timid voice, "Sadie, please don't blame him. I promise I'll pay the money back. I'll go look for a part-time job tomorrow." "What part-time job?" Patrick interrupted her sharply. "Your ankle hasn't even healed yet and you want to work? Do you not care about your health?" The corner of Vanessa's mouth twitched upward in a subtle, triumphant smile. "Then... Sadie, can you just bear with it for a few more days, please?" Tears welled in my eyes, threatening to spill over, but I forced them back with every ounce of my willpower. I refused to cry in front of them. "Give me the money back. Right now." Patrick froze for a moment. "I don't have that much liquid cash on hand right now." "Then go take out a loan!" Patrick's face darkened completely. "Has money completely corrupted your mind? Are you living your life with cash, or are you living it with me?!" Before I could say another word, he grabbed my arm, shoved me out of the bedroom, and slammed the door shut. "We'll talk about the money tomorrow! Vanessa isn't feeling well, she needs to rest!" CLICK. The door locked from the inside. I stood alone in the dark hallway, feeling the sheer absurdity of the situation. A person who grew up terrified of poverty worked for four long years just to build a path to freedom. And in a single fraction of a second, Patrick had taken the path I built over four years and handed it to Vanessa on a silver platter. Late into the night. Lying on my bed, I could hear Vanessa crying softly in the adjacent room. As long as she cried, Patrick stayed by her side, whispering sweet comforts. Gradually, the tears turned into hushed giggles, until finally, I heard Patrick say in a low, husky voice, "Stop squirming around..." I stared at the white ceiling, the sharp pain in my heart slowly numbing into dead silence. I pulled out my phone and clicked on Patrick's profile. Pinned at the top of his feed was a photo he had posted just an hour ago. Under the exploding fireworks, he and Vanessa were smiling brightly at the camera. Someone in the comment section had asked: Is this your new girlfriend? Patrick had replied: She's the most important person in my life. Right. He was never a man who lacked romance. It was simply that he reserved all his devotion, passion, and romance for someone else. While my distress, my future, and my pain meant absolutely nothing to him. At the first light of dawn, my phone rang violently. It was my mother, her voice trembling with sheer panic. "Sadie! Where were you last night?! A girl called me claiming you owe her money and won't pay it back, and that you're driving her to commit suicide!" "What on earth are you doing out there?! Mom is terrified to death..." It felt as though a bucket of ice water had been dumped over my head. "What else did she say to you?" My mother's voice was shaking uncontrollably. "She said... she said you're working as a homewrecker, stealing her boyfriend and ruining her life... Sadie, please tell Mom the truth, okay?" I bit down hard on my inner cheek, my chest suffocating with rage. My mother suffered from severe high blood pressure. Stress could literally kill her. Vanessa did this on purpose. I couldn't even bear to imagine how terrified my mother must have been when she picked up that call. I swallowed my rage, keeping my voice gentle. "Mom, she's lying to you. She's the one who stole my money." My mother grew even more panicked. "Why didn't you tell me?! Are you struggling for cash out there and suffering all alone?" I choked back a sob. "I'm not short on cash. Please don't worry about taking on extra manual labor shifts, Mom. I can support you." "I'll text you the full story in a little bit." I threw open the bedroom door, marched over to the bed, and yanked Vanessa up by her hair. "Did you call my mother?!" Vanessa shrank back against the headboard, putting on a frightened face. "I... I was just worried about you!" "What did you say to her?!" Vanessa pursed her lips, staying silent. Patrick immediately stepped between us, pushing me back. "Vanessa was just being thoughtful—" "I asked you what you said to my mother!" I screamed. Vanessa's voice dropped to a tiny whisper. "I just... I just wanted to send my regards to her..." I didn't miss the subtle flash of triumph across her face. I raised my hand and delivered a sharp, violent slap across her face. The sound echoed crisp and loud through the room. "Seven years of friendship! You couldn't wait to ruin my life, could you?!" Vanessa's head snapped to the side from the impact. She closed her eyes and dramatically collapsed backward onto the bed. In the very next second, Patrick lunged forward and shoved me with terrifying force. I lost my balance and tumbled backward, the side of my forehead slamming hard against the sharp edge of the coffee table. Blackness flashed across my vision for a second. I raised my hand and wiped my forehead. My fingers came back soaked in crimson blood. Patrick rushed over to scoop Vanessa into his arms, glaring at me with eyes full of pure hatred as he bellowed, "You are a complete psycho! No wonder your father abandoned you the day you were born!" I froze on the floor, the deepest, most agonizing scar of my life ripped open alive, rubbed with raw salt. He knew better than anyone that my father had abandoned my mother and me when I was a newborn. And he deliberately used that exact knife to stab me. The pain in my chest was so intense I couldn't catch my breath. Patrick lifted Vanessa into his arms and walked out the front door without looking back once. He didn't even grant me a single backward glance. I lay on the cold floor for a long time before slowly pushing myself up into a sitting position. My phone screen lit up with a new email notification. Application Approved: Congratulations! You have been accepted to Imperial College London with a Full Merit Scholarship. I looked at the screen, the corners of my mouth curling into a smile as heavy tears finally crashed down my cheeks. How wonderful. I don't need you anymore. After an unknown amount of time passed, my phone chimed again. It was a text from Patrick. Having settled Vanessa somewhere comfortable, he had finally remembered that I existed back home. I was too hot-headed earlier, babe. Don't take it to heart. Vanessa is in a terrible mood, so I won't be coming home tonight. I'll bring you a delicious breakfast tomorrow morning. Stay home and be good. Three simple lines, casually brushing everything under the rug. I tapped on Patrick's profile picture, hit block, and confirmed. Patrick, there is no tomorrow for us. I packed my luggage, took one final look at the apartment, turned on my heel, and headed straight for the airport.

Watch & Promotions

About this novel