
Theater: MotoNovel | Language: English
Synopsis
The moment I found out Pierce Holdings was our new investor, I knew I had already lost to Stella.
She was his first love. The one that got away.
Just as I expected, when the pitch meeting ended, Rowan chose Stella's design over mine.
Stella found me in the hallway shortly after. A sickly sweet smile played on her lips.
"You might be his wife, but in his heart, I will always come first."
"Everything you fought so desperately to get, I can have without lifting a finger."
She and I had been bitter rivals since high school. It all started when her mother stole my father.
And now, she had effortlessly stolen Rowan's heart, too.
I cast a weary glance at the tall, impeccably dressed man standing at the end of the corridor. A sudden, bone-deep exhaustion washed over me. I didn't want to fight Stella anymore.
This time, I was letting him go.
Between Rowan and my career, I chose my career.
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
The moment I found out Pierce Holdings was our new investor, I knew I had already lost to Stella.
She was his first love. The one that got away.
Just as I expected, when the pitch meeting ended, Rowan chose Stella's design over mine.
Stella found me in the hallway shortly after. A sickly sweet smile played on her lips.
"You might be his wife, but in his heart, I will always come first."
"Everything you fought so desperately to get, I can have without lifting a finger."
She and I had been bitter rivals since high school. It all started when her mother stole my father.
And now, she had effortlessly stolen Rowan's heart, too.
I cast a weary glance at the tall, impeccably dressed man standing at the end of the corridor. A sudden, bone-deep exhaustion washed over me. I didn't want to fight Stella anymore.
This time, I was letting him go.
Between Rowan and my career, I chose my career.
1.
The arrival of our new corporate backer had the whole office buzzing. He was outrageously handsome, came from ruthless old money, and possessed a ruthless business acumen that demanded respect.
The investor was Rowan Pierce.
My husband.
When I saw his name on the brief, a cold knot twisted in my stomach. I knew my silent war with Stella was already over.
In the breakroom, the gossip was flying thick and fast.
"I can't believe the CEO of Pierce Holdings is personally overseeing this. Rowan Pierce himself."
"If our team secures this bid, we are set for the entire fiscal year. We'll be swimming in commissions."
"Don't get your hopes up. It's practically guaranteed to go to Stella's team. Haven't you heard? Rowan's college sweetheart works right here in our design department. It's Stella."
"They were the golden couple back at Boston University. Everyone knows he only invested in Aura Design just to get closer to her."
Every word felt like a needle sliding into my ribs. I walked back to my office like a ghost.
The news of Rowan's arrival was officially announced by noon.
Manager Gibson called Stella and me into his glass-walled office.
"Sienna, Stella." He steepled his fingers, looking between us. "Pierce Holdings is funding our next major launch. Rowan Pierce wants both of your teams to draft competing proposals. You have one month."
Gibson offered Stella a meaningful, almost sycophantic look. He clearly knew the rumors. He knew exactly why Rowan had chosen our firm.
I hadn't even stepped out of the office before the realization hit me. My team was going to bust our asses for nothing.
Going up against Stella meant I was nothing but a prop in her romantic reunion.
In the hallway, Stella stopped.
We stood face to face. I met her gaze, and her lips curved into a triumphant, radiant smirk.
"May the best woman win, Sienna."
She sounded entirely too confident. She knew the game was rigged. Given the choice between her and me, Rowan would pick her every single time.
I watched her walk away, the click of her heels echoing down the floor.
Her department erupted into cheers the second she returned.
If my team lost this bid, I would be demoted to working under Stella. I would have to swallow my pride and take orders from the woman who ruined my life.
I refused to let that happen.
Right before clocking out, half the floor gathered around Stella's desk, drowning her in compliments.
"You are incredible, Stella. We're so lucky to have you."
I caught her eye through the crowd. She was the center of the universe, bathed in warm light and adoration.
In stark contrast, my corner of the office was dead quiet. I stood completely alone.
She offered me a pitying little smile.
I looked away, grabbed my trench coat, and walked out into the cold New York evening.
2.
Rowan got home late.
His expression was the same as always. Cold, detached, undeniably beautiful.
I couldn't hold the question back any longer.
"Rowan, did you invest in my firm?"
He paused, shrugging off his tailored suit jacket. He met my eyes with a flat, indifferent stare and gave a single, soft hum of confirmation.
"Why did you choose Aura Design?" I forced a light, teasing tone into my voice. "Are you going to show your wife some favoritism?"
His dark eyebrows drew together. There was absolutely zero warmth in his deep-set eyes.
He stayed quiet for a moment before answering.
"It was a board decision. I don't make these calls alone."
The unspoken message was loud and clear. Being his wife meant nothing. It bought me no privileges.
I didn't push it.
He was always like this. Frosty and principled, operating by his own rigid set of rules. He never bent them for me.
And like a fool, I always ended up humiliating myself by hoping I could be his exception.
Rowan turned on his heel and walked into his study.
He left the heavy oak door slightly ajar.
I could hear the low murmur of his voice on the phone. Then, the unmistakable sound of Stella's bright laughter drifting through the speaker.
Rowan chuckled softly in response. A sound I rarely ever heard.
When the call ended, he stepped back out into the foyer.
He grabbed a heavy wool overcoat from the rack, slipping his arms into the sleeves and adjusting his leather oxfords.
He stood tall, not quite looking at me.
"I have a business dinner. Don't wait up."
I simply nodded.
Rowan was breathtakingly handsome. Sharp jawline, straight nose, and thin, expressive lips. The dark coat made his broad shoulders look even more imposing.
The door clicked shut behind him.
He didn't come home until the early hours of the morning.
Any questions I had left died in my throat when I opened Instagram in bed.
Stella had posted a new picture.
It was a group selfie of four people at an upscale lounge. Stella, Rowan, and two of their old college friends.
Staring at the screen, I realized I already knew the answer. Would he favor Stella over me? Yes. Without hesitation.
I used to leave the hallway light on for him whenever he had late nights.
Tonight, I switched it off and let the darkness swallow the apartment. I slept surprisingly well.
The next morning, we left for work at different times, avoiding each other completely.
The atmosphere at the office was suffocating. Everyone was treating Stella like royalty.
It was an unspoken fact. Rowan wouldn't have looked twice at our firm if she wasn't here.
My hatred for Stella was my own private burden. The rest of the staff only cared about their annual bonuses and keeping the VIP client happy.
Rowan visited the office that afternoon to review our preliminary timelines.
Gibson called Stella into the boardroom to meet him.
When she finally emerged, every eye in the bullpen locked onto her.
"Spill it, Stella. Is the big boss as terrifying as he looks?"
A coy, ambiguous smile touched her lips.
"I've known Rowan for a long time. He's actually quite sweet." She paused for dramatic effect. "You guys have nothing to worry about."
A few junior designers exchanged knowing glances and giggled.
I already knew the legendary romance of Stella and Rowan. I had read the digital footprint of it a hundred times over.
If I wasn't his wife, I might have even thought it was a beautiful story of young love.
But reading the archived posts compiled by their nosy classmates only made my chest ache.
Stella still kept her old college blog public. It was a digital diary of everything they shared.
I had tortured myself by reading every single entry.
The more I read, the more I realized how fiercely Rowan had loved her.
He used to read every trivial thing she posted, leaving long, thoughtful comments under each picture.
He was the one who chased her first.
Meanwhile, it took me a grueling, humiliating year of practically begging for his attention before he finally agreed to date me.
When I first discovered his ex was Stella, a twisted, vicious thrill shot through me. I thought I had finally won. I thought I had taken something precious from her.
But the reality was a brutal wake-up call.
Rowan was still harboring feelings for his ex. Being married to a man who loved my worst enemy was the ultimate humiliation.
It just gave Stella another way to crush me.
3.
Stella and I had been at each other's throats since middle school. We were oil and water.
Her mother marched into our home, destroyed my parents' marriage, and drove my mother to a severe mental breakdown that landed her in the psychiatric ward.
I almost lost my mom forever.
By high school, Stella and I ended up at the same prestigious prep academy.
She missed the entrance cutoff by a single point. My father, Arthur, pulled strings and threw money at the board to get her in.
That same year, my mother packed her bags and moved to London.
I was left behind in Arthur's sprawling, empty mansion.
I was a naive teenager. I thought if I acted out, if I made their lives a living hell, the mistress and her daughter would pack up and leave.
My tactics were juvenile.
I spiked their morning water glasses with black drawing ink. I was too scared to actually poison them, so I just wanted to scare them. I wanted to mark my territory.
Instead, Stella ran crying to Arthur. His face turned a dangerous shade of purple as he screamed at me, his disappointment suffocating.
I hated them, but I didn't have the stomach for true cruelty.
Every stunt I pulled only made Arthur feel more guilty for the "hardships" he put his new family through.
I thought graduation would be the end of it.
But during my freshman year of college, Arthur dragged Stella to a high-society charity gala.
He didn't correct anyone who assumed she was his biological daughter.
He even drafted paperwork to legally change her last name to Cross.
I stood in his study, trembling with rage, and told him that if he gave her my family name, I would drop it and take my mother's maiden name instead.
His eyes burned with fury. He raised his hand, fully intending to strike me across the face.
But a tall, broad-shouldered figure stepped in front of me, catching my father's wrist mid-air.
It was Rowan.
Years later, after graduating, our paths crossed again in the city.
I spent twelve exhausting months chasing him. I was always there, always available, always trying to break through his icy exterior.
Just as I was about to give up and walk away, he finally said yes.
It wasn't until after we exchanged vows that I found out Stella was his great college romance.
Worse, I found out Rowan used to visit my father's estate as Stella's boyfriend.
When Arthur received the news that I had married Rowan Pierce, his face went ashen. He clutched his chest, struggling to breathe.
"Are you doing this on purpose?" he had gasped out. "You knew he was Stella's boy. You married him just to spite her?"
I had stood there, frozen in shock.
During our first holiday season as a married couple, I refused to visit my father. Rowan insisted. He practically dragged me to the Cross estate.
Within an hour of arriving, Stella and I got into a screaming match on the patio.
We both slipped on the icy marble steps.
Rowan moved with lightning speed. He lunged forward and wrapped his arms securely around Stella, breaking her fall.
I hit the hard stone, scraping my knees bloody.
Later, sitting in the urgent care clinic with tears stinging my eyes, I asked him why he didn't reach for me.
He didn't even look up from his phone. His voice was completely void of emotion.
"I didn't see you fall."
When Rowan stepped out to take a call, Stella strolled into the exam room.
She looked down at me on the hospital bed, a victorious gleam in her eyes. She spent the next ten minutes recounting every sweet, intimate moment she and Rowan shared in college.
She described a version of my husband I had never met. A man who was tender, passionate, and hopelessly devoted.
My heart felt like it was being crushed in a vise.
After I recovered, the universe played its final cruel joke. Stella and I were hired at the same design firm.
The rat race started all over again.
She flaunted her status as Arthur Cross's beloved daughter, forcing management to treat her with kid gloves.
Now, she had the added armor of being the billionaire investor's former flame.
The entire office worshipped the ground she walked on.
I knew my proposal was doomed. But my pride wouldn't let me quit. I dragged my team through sleepless nights and endless coffee runs, determined to go down fighting.
4.
A month later, I walked into the glass boardroom with a perfectly bound portfolio.
Everyone was seated. The only empty chairs belonged to Stella and Rowan.
They walked in together.
The morning sunlight caught them perfectly, illuminating the way Rowan tilted his head down to catch whatever Stella was whispering.
His jawline was sharp, his posture relaxed. His dark eyes held a faint, genuine warmth.
I caught his gaze for a split second. I searched his face, desperate to find even a flicker of guilt or reassurance.
There was nothing.
Just that familiar, freezing indifference.
We drew straws for the presentation order. I was up first.
I kept my composure, connecting my laptop and bringing the slides to life on the massive screen.
I poured my soul into the pitch, breaking down every structural detail and creative inspiration.
When I finished, the applause was painfully thin.
The only person cheering genuinely was Brie, a bright-eyed junior designer who had been with me since her internship.
Rowan sat like a statue. His face was an impenetrable mask.
Manager Gibson kept shooting nervous glances at him, trying to read his mind.
Then it was Stella's turn.
She walked to the front, locking eyes with Rowan effortlessly.
They shared a private, lingering smile.
The other executives at the table noticed. They exchanged knowing, amused looks.
Brie leaned over to me, her voice barely a whisper.
"Sienna... are we going to lose this?"
I forced the corners of my mouth up into a brittle smile.
When Stella concluded her presentation, the room erupted. The applause was deafening compared to mine.
Gibson practically gave her a standing ovation.
A tiny smirk tugged at the corner of Rowan's mouth.
We took a thirty-minute recess before the final verdict.
Lately, the constant barrage of rumors about Rowan and Stella had been suffocating me.
The way he looked at me—like I was a stranger taking up space—made it hard to breathe.
Thanks to the relentless office gossip, I had learned even more about their past.
How Rowan would stand outside her dorm in the freezing rain just to walk her to class. How he brought her breakfast in bed.
Every Boston alumni in our circle knew that Rowan Pierce had worshipped the ground Stella walked on.
I sat in my leather chair, paralyzed.
I watched them walk out of the boardroom side by side. My throat burned.
The man I had moved mountains to marry was carrying the heart of the woman I despised most in this world.
Soon, the room emptied out until it was just Brie and me.
She reached under the table and squeezed my hand.
Half an hour later, the executives returned.
Rowan and his corporate entourage had already left the building.
Gibson stood at the head of the table, looking incredibly pleased with himself.
"The board has cast three votes," he announced.
"All three votes go to Stella's team."
My eyes burned. A hot rush of unshed tears pricked at the corners of my eyes.
I dug my nails into my palms and swallowed the pain down.
Gibson nodded at Stella, a look of profound respect on his face.
Her team immediately swarmed her.
"You killed it, Stella! We're celebrating tonight!"
I gathered my files and slipped out the back door, slipping away like a shadow.
But Stella followed me.
"Sienna."
I stopped in the middle of the hallway.
Her eyes were crinkled in absolute delight.
"You might share his bed, but I will always own his heart."
"You fought tooth and nail for a life that falls right into my lap."
She was right. When we were fourteen, she effortlessly stole my father's love.
Now, she commanded my husband's devotion without even trying.
Down the hall, I saw Gibson ushering Rowan toward the VIP elevator. Rowan looked relaxed, hands in his pockets, completely at ease.
A crushing wave of fatigue hit me.
I was done.
I was done fighting Stella.
And I was done with Rowan Pierce.
The elevator doors were held open. Gibson, ever the opportunist, enthusiastically waved both Stella and me over to join them for the ride down to the lobby.
The car descended in heavy silence.
Gibson couldn't resist kissing up.
"Mr. Pierce, I must say, you and our Director Davis make quite the striking pair."
"A match made in heaven, really."
A few other executives chimed in immediately.
"Absolutely. We actually heard a rumor you two tied the knot! Mr. Pierce is truly a romantic, choosing our firm just to support his wife's career."
I stood in the corner, entirely numb. My heart didn't even skip a beat at the horrific irony.
Suddenly, I felt a heavy, burning stare fixed on the side of my face. I slowly turned my head.
Rowan's jaw was clenched tight, his face drained of color.
Gibson nudged my elbow, practically demanding I join the praise chorus.
"Isn't that right, Sienna? Don't they make the perfect couple?"
The stainless steel doors glided open to the lobby.
I looked Rowan dead in the eyes. My voice was eerily calm.
"They really are a perfect match."
Panic flared in the depths of his dark eyes. His lips parted as if he wanted to scream something.
- Search this code in the MotoNovel app:
581009 Open MotoNovel → Search code → Find the title