
Theater: MotoNovel | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
My sister had a gift—or a curse, depending on whose side of the grave you were standing on. She could see the last meal every human being would ever eat before they died.
When we were kids, she pointed at our grandmother sitting on the porch and said, "Cheeseburger."
The next afternoon, Grandmother—a woman who had spent seventy years preaching against fast food—choked to death on a takeout burger our cousin had accidentally brought home.
A year later, she pointed across the driveway at our neighbor and whispered, "Shrimp chowder."
The neighbor, who carried an EpiPen everywhere because of a severe shellfish allergy, died of anaphylaxis when a delivery order got mixed up on a rainy Tuesday.
And then, my sister set her sights on the man I loved.
When she failed to steal my fiancé, she stood in the center of the room, stared directly at his face, and said, "Vanilla cake."
Before I could scream, before my lungs could find air, he had already taken a bite of the pastry sitting on the sideboard. He dropped dead on the carpet, right in front of me.
While I collapsed into the abyss of my grief, my sister wore a smug, radiant grin.
"I don't just see the final meal," she whispered into my ear. "Once I say the words out loud, the sentence is executed."
My fiancé’s family branded me a curse, a black widow in training. My relatives turned their backs on me, whispering that tragedy followed wherever I walked. Meanwhile, my sister turned her lethal clairvoyance into a goldmine, charging fortunes to rid the ruthless of their rivals.
Three years passed.
I rebuilt my life in another city and met someone else—a man far wealthier, stronger, and more powerful than the fiancé I had lost.
Today was our wedding day. And once again, uninvited, she appeared.
"Clara," she sneered, stepping into the aisle, her gown shimmering in the chandelier light. "Hand your fiancé over to me right now. Or you die."
I adjusted my veil and let a slow, icy smile touch my lips.
"And what if I say no?"
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
My sister had a gift—or a curse, depending on whose side of the grave you were standing on. She could see the last meal every human being would ever eat before they died.
When we were kids, she pointed at our grandmother sitting on the porch and said, "Cheeseburger."
The next afternoon, Grandmother—a woman who had spent seventy years preaching against fast food—choked to death on a takeout burger our cousin had accidentally brought home.
A year later, she pointed across the driveway at our neighbor and whispered, "Shrimp chowder."
The neighbor, who carried an EpiPen everywhere because of a severe shellfish allergy, died of anaphylaxis when a delivery order got mixed up on a rainy Tuesday.
And then, my sister set her sights on the man I loved.
When she failed to steal my fiancé, she stood in the center of the room, stared directly at his face, and said, "Vanilla cake."
Before I could scream, before my lungs could find air, he had already taken a bite of the pastry sitting on the sideboard. He dropped dead on the carpet, right in front of me.
While I collapsed into the abyss of my grief, my sister wore a smug, radiant grin.
"I don't just see the final meal," she whispered into my ear. "Once I say the words out loud, the sentence is executed."
My fiancé’s family branded me a curse, a black widow in training. My relatives turned their backs on me, whispering that tragedy followed wherever I walked. Meanwhile, my sister turned her lethal clairvoyance into a goldmine, charging fortunes to rid the ruthless of their rivals.
Three years passed.
I rebuilt my life in another city and met someone else—a man far wealthier, stronger, and more powerful than the fiancé I had lost.
Today was our wedding day. And once again, uninvited, she appeared.
"Clara," she sneered, stepping into the aisle, her gown shimmering in the chandelier light. "Hand your fiancé over to me right now. Or you die."
I adjusted my veil and let a slow, icy smile touch my lips.
"And what if I say no?"
…
My knuckles turned white against the lace of my wedding gown as my eyes locked onto Kendra.
Around us, the grand ballroom of the coastal estate dissolved into a low hum of confused murmurs.
"Who is that? Why is the bride's sister dressed like she's the one walking down the aisle?"
"She wasn't on the program. Looks more like she came to burn the place down."
Kendra had started her entrance with that familiar, predatory swagger, her eyes fixed arrogantly on the space just above my head. But suddenly, she froze. Her pupils dilated, shuddering violently.
"Wait... what is that?"
She took two halting steps forward, squinting, craning her neck as if trying to decipher something impossible hovering over my hair.
A shadow of doubt crossed her face, and for a fleeting second, she looked unsettled. Then, shaking her head as if shaking off a momentary hallucination, she muttered under her breath, "No. I must have misread it."
Exhaling sharply, she regained her sneering composure and turned toward the man beside me.
"You're Paul Sterling, aren't you? The eldest son of the Sterling empire. CEO of the entire shipping conglomerate."
Kendra tilted her chin up, looking at him as if he were a prize she was graciously deigning to claim.
"Your pedigree is adequate. Barely. So I’m giving you one chance: throw Clara out into the street, marry me right now, and sign over your assets to my name. If you refuse, you’ll end up in a morgue drawer before the night is out. Don't believe me? Just ask your darling bride."
The room erupted into an uproar. Several of the board members and family associates muttered that the girl had clearly lost her mind, speaking to Paul Sterling with such brazen lunacy.
Yet Kendra stood there, overflowing with that same unshakeable, grotesque confidence she had worn the day she killed the first man I loved.
Paul squeezed my hand, his palm warm and steady, though his brow furrowed with concern. "Clara, is this really your sister? Do you need me to have security escort her out?"
I shook my head gently, offering him a calm, reassuring smile. "She is my sister. But calling security won't do any good. If she wants someone dead, they die. Instantly."
A collective gasp rippled through the front rows.
"What? Murder?"
"On a wedding day? Is this a joke?"
An older investor near the second row scoffed, eyeing Kendra’s petite frame with open contempt. "A scrawny little girl talking about murder? What is this, some tacky piece of wedding theater?"
He chuckled, turning to the guest beside him. "Look at her—she doesn't have half the grace of her sister. Looks like a back-alley stray, and she thinks she can march into the Sterling family?"
That man was Marcus Thorne, a high-ranking executive in the shipping syndicate.
And his insult had hit Kendra like a slap.
Her head snapped toward Marcus. Her eyes narrowed into slits, staring intently at the space above his silvering hair for three silent, suffocating seconds.
Then, a cold, breathless laugh slipped from her lips.
"You miserable old bastard. Enjoy the crossing. "Lobster bisque."
On every banquet table in the room sat an exquisite, chef-curated tasting menu, featuring steaming bowls of artisanal seafood bisque.
The ballroom hung in an awkward, stifled silence for a few beats. A few nervous chuckles broke out, assuming Kendra was simply having a hysterical meltdown over the catering.
Then, Marcus Thorne’s face turned an ashen, bruised purple.
His eyes bulged. His hands flew to his throat, his fingernails digging frantically into his collar as he fought for air that would not come. He lurched out of his chair, gasping, knocking over crystal champagne flutes, before collapsing heavily onto the polished marble floor, white foam bubbling at the corners of his mouth.
Within twenty seconds, he went completely still.
"My God! He's dead!"
"Is the soup poisoned? The food is poisoned!"
Screams tore through the hall. Pandemonium broke loose as guests scrambled from their chairs, some lunging for their phones to dial 911, others rushing toward the towering double doors of the ballroom.
Before the panic could spill out, I gave a sharp signal.
Paul’s private security detail moved instantly, locking the heavy brass doors from the inside. Simultaneously, our installed signal jammers activated, cutting every cell phone in the room from the outside world.
Two guards swiftly lifted Marcus’s body and carried him through the discreet service door toward the back kitchen.
The guests stood frozen, staring at Kendra in sheer, unadulterated horror.
Kendra reveled in it, her chest heaving with delight.
"Clara! Did you really think running away to this coast for a year would save you from me? Keep dreaming!" she yelled, her voice bouncing off the vaulted ceilings. "Whatever Kendra wants, Kendra takes. Even if I have to track you to the ends of the earth!"
I took a deep, steadying breath, lifted the microphone from the podium, and spoke into the silence.
"I knew this day would come," I said, my voice smooth and resonant. "Which is why we prepared for it. Everyone, please remain calm. Mr. Thorne was not poisoned. Every dish on these tables is entirely safe. It was simply his fate to die after tasting the bisque."
I looked across the sea of terrified faces. "The ceremony is not over. The Sterling family values discretion above all else; we will not allow rumors or hysteria to leak onto the internet, which is why your phones have no service. My wedding will not be ruined a second time by my sister. Please remain in your seats. The reception will continue."
A deathly quiet settled over the room. No one dared touch their silverware.
Kendra kept her predatory glare locked on me. "That was just a courtesy demonstration. Hand Paul over, or I'll go down the line and read out every single person's execution meal."
Paul pulled me closer against his side, his voice a low, protective rumble. "Clara, shouldn't we call the police?"
"The police can't stop this," I whispered, sighing softly. "Let me tell them the story instead."
Kendra had hated me since the day she was old enough to look in a mirror.
She was born plain and sullen, while I was favored with our mother's looks and top marks at school. Our parents loved me openly, and that love festered like rot in Kendra's chest.
Then, during her teenage years, she woke up with an impossible sight: she could see the last meal hovering above people's heads.
Grandmother. The neighbor. The girls at school who didn't invite her to parties. Even celebrities she despised on television. As long as she named the food out loud, death arrived with ruthless, terrifying punctuality. For ten years, she had never been wrong.
Eventually, word leaked into the darker corners of high society. Desperate, corrupt people sought Kendra out, paying her to look at their enemies so those rivals would quietly perish in bizarre, inexplicable food-related accidents. The authorities could only ever rule the deaths as choking, heart failure, or misdiagnosed allergies.
After all, how could a prosecutor indict someone for simply uttering the word "pancake"?
Corporate magnates paid her fortunes to eliminate competitors. Kendra grew rich, and with every deposit into her accounts, our parents began to treat her like a queen—and me like an outcast. It wasn't affection they felt for her; it was raw, paralyzing terror. They lived in mortal fear that she would look at them across the breakfast table and whisper a word that would end their lives.
She reduced me to eating her scraps, wearing her cast-offs, treating me like a servant in my own childhood home.
"If you want to stay breathing, Clara," she would whisper, digging her nails into my shoulder, "you obey me."
To survive, I endured it.
Until I met Landon.
Landon was handsome, kind, and possessed an integrity that didn't bend. When Kendra set her sights on him, flaunting her money and trying repeatedly to seduce him, Landon didn't take the bait. He firmly, coldly told her to back off.
Enraged, Kendra hired local thugs to assault me in an alley behind my apartment. If Landon hadn't arrived in the nick of time, fighting them off and pulling me into his arms, I would have been destroyed.
That night, my hatred for Kendra hardened into something solid and permanent.
I confessed everything to Landon—Kendra's supernatural curse, the terror our family lived under.
He listened quietly for a long time, his brow knitted. "It sounds like a psychological trick, Clara. Think about it: if someone simply avoids eating whatever she names, do they become immortal? That defies basic science. Don't be afraid. Once we're married, I'm taking you abroad. We'll leave her behind forever."
I couldn't convince him. No matter how much I begged him to take her seriously, his rational mind refused to accept the impossible.
On the day of our engagement party, I didn't invite Kendra.
Yet she appeared anyway, clad in an immaculate white gown, her eyes dripping with resentment.
"Landon," she had purred, stepping between us. "Are you really going to choose my plain sister over me? One last chance."
Landon placed his hand over mine and smiled calmly. "I love Clara. She's the only woman I will ever marry."
Kendra’s expression darkened, and she pointed a single, painted finger at him.
"Vanilla cake."
My breath hitched. On the dessert cart nearby sat a platter of vintage-style sponge cake. My heart violently seized.
"Landon! Don't eat the cake!"
I lunged forward, but Landon merely offered a faint, skeptical smile. "What, my final meal is cake? Clara, watch me break this ridiculous superstition once and for all."
Before I could stop his hand, he slipped a bite into his mouth.
Kendra smiled a grotesque, triumphant little smile and turned on her heel.
Within three minutes, Landon's skin turned the color of chalk. He collapsed across the linen-covered table, dead of sudden cardiac arrest before the paramedics even reached the driveway.
His family went half-mad with grief, demanding an autopsy. But the lab found no poison, no foul play—just an inexplicable failure of a healthy heart.
I cornered Kendra that night. "Why didn't you just kill me too? Tell me my meal! Let me die with him!"
She had looked up at the space above my head, frowned for several seconds, and then laughed wickedly. "Where's the fun in that? I want you to live in terror. I want you to rot slowly in fear."
Desperate, I begged our parents to pack their bags and flee the country with me.
The night before our flight, my parents were found dead at the kitchen table. Their last meal had been homemade meat pies.
I broke down and went to the police, screaming that Kendra was a murderer. But the detectives looked at me with pity and irritation—how could a girl kill her parents by saying the word "pie"?
For three years, I chased every whisper of the occult. I consulted mystics, astrologers, spiritual mediums, searching for a way to break her grip. The most renowned was an old spiritual practitioner who claimed to cleanse demonic entities. He set up an altar to purge Kendra.
Kendra had merely glanced at him from across the room and muttered, "Sticky rice."
Three days later, the old man passed away in his sleep. His autopsy confirmed his last meal was sticky rice.
I fell into absolute despair. Finally, under the cover of a midnight storm, I packed a single bag, abandoned everything, and fled across the coast to start over.
For a year, there was peace.
Then I met Paul.
Paul was everything Landon had been—brilliant, protective, and unyielding—backed by the immense wealth of the Sterling legacy.
Somehow, Kendra found out. The threatening messages began flooding my phone.
"How does a worthless bitch like you land an heir to a fortune?"
"Tell me where you are. Hand him over to me, or you won't survive the year."
I blocked every number she used.
And now, here she was, standing in the middle of my wedding aisle.
"She's like a parasite," Paul muttered beside me, his jaw set, glaring at Kendra.
I squeezed his arm, my voice trembling with crafted sorrow. "Paul, I love you. I want to protect you, but more than that, I need you alive. You saw what happened to Marcus Thorne. If she speaks your meal..."
I turned to face the terrified room. "You don't understand how absolute this is. There was a man whose meal she declared to be whole milk. He scoffed, purged his house of dairy, and avoided it religiously for weeks. But on the day he let his guard down, his wife took an exotic milk-infused bath before bed... they embraced, and he went into cardiac arrest within minutes."
The silence in the hall was suffocating.
"Once she opens her mouth, the trigger is inevitable."
Kendra’s eyes locked greedily onto the five-carat diamond resting on my left hand.
"Exactly!" Kendra cackled. "Paul, if you want to see tomorrow's sunrise, you take off her ring and put it on mine! Her last fiancé died because he thought he was smarter than destiny!"
Paul sneered, lacing his fingers through mine. "Bullshit."
He stepped in front of me, his voice ringing out across the hall. "I don't care what kind of parlor tricks or dark magic you think you wield. In this life, I love only Clara!"
"Paul, no!" I gasped, pretending to reach for his mouth too late.
A look of pure malice twisted Kendra's features. She stared at the crown of Paul’s head and whispered three venomous words:
"Dark chocolate truffle."
Paul let out a dry, defiant chuckle. "I've despised dark chocolate since childhood. I don't touch it. The Sterling estate oversees every morsel that enters my kitchen—"
Suddenly, his voice cut off.
His posture froze. His eyes widened in sheer, paralyzing horror as he turned his gaze to me.
"The wedding favors..." he choked out.
My breath caught. "What?"
"In the limousine on the way here... my blood sugar was dropping. I opened a gift box and ate a small dark chocolate truff—"
Before the word left his lips, Paul’s complexion drained to ghost-white. He clutched his chest, gasped violently, and collapsed onto his knees!
"Paul!"
I dropped to the floor, catching his shoulders as he slumped against me.
Kendra threw her head back, laughing hysterically. "Who told you the food has to be eaten "after" I speak? Once I perceive your final meal, even if you ate it yesterday, the clock runs out the moment the word leaves my lips!"
Paul’s skin grew icy under my hands. With the last ounce of his strength, his trembling fingers brushed my cheek, his lips barely moving.
"I'm sorry... Clara... I couldn't... protect you..."
Tears streamed down my face. "Paul! No, please!"
The ballroom erupted into chaos. High-society women wailed, men backed into corners, clutching their chests, terrified that drawing a single breath might draw Kendra's gaze.
Fighting back my sobs, I looked at the head of security. "Take my fiancé's body to the back. Don't... don't let him lie out here."
"Are you out of your mind?!" an elderly guest screamed from the back. "Your groom just dropped dead and you're not calling the FBI? Tackle that monster!"
I turned a freezing glare toward him. "Do you want her to read your meal next?"
The man's mouth snapped shut instantly, his throat bobbing as he swallowed his own terror.
Kendra strutted up the aisle, drunk on power.
"Losing Paul is a shame," she purred, looking down at his empty spot. "A handsome man. But since he was foolish, he's just a corpse now."
She turned her gaze onto the room—dozens of the wealthiest elites on the eastern seaboard.
"I can see every single meal floating above your heads," Kendra announced, her voice sweet and lethal. "If you want to walk out of this hall alive, every family writes me a check for twenty million dollars. Make me the new queen of this city. Refuse, and you and your children will be dead before midnight. The police can't touch me—legally, it's just a tragic medical coincidence!"
The terror was absolute.
A hedge-fund billionaire broke first, his hands shaking violently as he pulled out a leather-bound checkbook, scribbling zeros with trembling ink, desperate not to end up like Marcus Thorne or Paul Sterling.
Within minutes, Kendra held a stack of checks worth hundreds of millions.
As one tech executive handed over his slip and turned to leave, Kendra’s hand darted out, grabbing his sleeve.
"Wait a minute. What screen were you just on? A satellite phone?"
She snatched the rugged backup device from his inner pocket. It bypassed the ballroom's jammers. On the screen was an unsent SOS message to federal authorities.
Kendra’s face darkened with rage.
The executive turned white as paper. "Please—"
"You dare cross me?" Kendra hissed. "Your last meal was "blackened prawns"!"
The man let out a strangled cry, shoving two fingers down his throat, desperately trying to purge whatever he had eaten at the cocktail hour. But within seconds, a spray of dark blood erupted from his lips, and he crashed onto the carpet, convulsing until his limbs went limp.
Screams tore through the room. People were ready to throw themselves through the reinforced glass windows.
"Wait!" Kendra's voice cracked like a whip.
Her eyes drifted back to me.
She squinted, staring at the space above my head once more, verifying whatever she saw until a smug, cruel smile spread across her face.
"I see it clearly now," Kendra proclaimed to the cowering crowd. "A compromise, everyone. If Clara dies, I’ll let all of you walk out of here, and I won't even cash your checks! But if she refuses to die, I will name every last one of your final meals until this hall is a graveyard!"
The room shifted in an instant. The desperate guests dropped to their knees, directing their weeping pleas at me.
"Clara, please! Have mercy!"
"I have three children at home, Clara! Please save us!"
"It's between you and your sister! Don't let innocent people die!"
I looked at the sea of weeping elites groveling on the floor.
I let out a soft, resigned sigh.
"Very well," I said quietly. "I will sacrifice myself to save you all."
A wave of sobbing gratitude washed over the room.
Kendra looked at me with pure contempt. "To think this is how it ends for you, Clara. You were always destined to lose to me."
I met her gaze, my voice steady. "Kendra... when you first walked in, you stared at the space above my head and hesitated. Why?"
Kendra blinked, a flicker of unease passing through her eyes. "My eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought I saw something... impossible. But now I see it. It’s the most pathetic, ordinary thing in the world."
She stepped closer, sneering. "For years, the space above your head was just a blur. I thought you somehow didn't have an execution meal. But now it’s crystal clear."
She pointed directly at my forehead.
"Clara, your final meal is a plain white dinner roll."
The room held its breath.
"If I knew your execution meal was something so trivial," Kendra mocked, "I would have ended you years ago!"
Without a word of protest, I turned and walked calmly toward the kitchen entrance, returning a moment later holding a fresh, unbuttered white dinner roll on a small porcelain saucer.
"I'm going to eat it," I said softly. "Keep your word. Let them go."
Kendra laughed. "Of course. Living cows can be milked again; dead ones are useless to me."
I nodded.
Under Kendra’s manic, expectant gaze, and beneath the suffocating silence of eighty terrified onlookers, I lifted the roll to my lips...
And bit by bit, I chewed and swallowed the entire thing.
- Search this code in the MotoNovel app:
580032 Open MotoNovel → Search code → Find the title