ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

He Kept a Scorecard for Our Love, So I Left Him at Zero

Novelix · English · Theater: Novelix, Lang: English, Genre: 16 ·

He Kept a Scorecard for Our Love, So I Left Him at Zero

Theater: Novelix  |  Language: English  |  NEW

Synopsis

I spent seven years earning points on my boyfriend’s “relationship scorecard.” A hundred points earned a wish. I was at ninety—until he docked ten for being ten minutes late and gave my anniversary IMAX ticket to his assistant. He wiped my score on New Year’s Eve, and when I was sick, he threw my medicine away. So I didn’t cry. I bought a train ticket, took our dog, and left him at zero. He chased me with a necklace, a promotion, and a revised scorecard. I told him the problem wasn’t his rules—it was that he ever thought he had the right to score me.

Chapters (3)

Chapter 1   Chapter 2   Chapter 3

Chapter 1

On our seventh anniversary, my boyfriend pulled out his relationship scorecard again. "A hundred points earns you one wish. You're sitting at ninety." Before I could respond, his new assistant leaned over. "Ethan, I haven't missed a day all month, and I've been working late. Doesn't that earn me something?" The next second, Ethan smiled and handed her one of the IMAX VIP tickets. "You earned it. Tonight's ticket is yours." Before I could question him, he turned to me. "You made us leave ten minutes late this morning. That's a ten-point deduction, so no wish for you." I stared at the ticket in her hand, too exhausted even to feel angry. On New Year's Eve, I had failed to secure a table at his favorite restaurant. He wiped out all my points and took his assistant to see the fireworks. When I was running a fever and too weak to iron his shirts, he docked fifty points and tossed my medicine in the trash. Every time I cried, he accused me of being dramatic. "Rules are rules. If you mess up, you face the consequences. Why can't you take responsibility?" But when one person makes all the rules, the other person never has a chance. This time, I did not argue. I did not try to take back the ticket. I simply pulled out my phone and bought a train ticket. If he could erase my score, I could erase us. *** Ethan Cole saw me staring silently at my phone and assumed I was sulking. He curled his long fingers and rapped impatiently on my desk. "Ava, stop acting like a victim." "I came up with the point system because you're always putting things off. It's supposed to help you get your act together." "You made us ten minutes late this morning. Actions have consequences." "If you can't handle one simple rule, how are you supposed to lead a team?" Chloe Reed stood beside him and carefully slipped the IMAX ticket into her designer handbag. It was the same bag Ethan had given her for her birthday last month and charged to the company. She leaned over my cubicle wall, planting both hands on the divider. She could not quite hide the smugness in her voice. "Don't be mad at Ethan, Ava. The system keeps the whole team accountable." "I could give you the ticket back if you want." She offered, but her hand never moved toward her purse. Ethan's expression hardened. He stopped even the pretense of her returning it. "Why would you give it to her?" "She broke the rule. The consequence is the whole point." "Besides, you landed two major clients this month. You earned the reward." He turned and looked down at me. Then he pulled a gold-embossed reservation card from inside his suit jacket and tossed it onto my keyboard. It struck the keys with a sharp click. "Go to the restaurant early and settle the bill for tonight." "If the private room looks the way I want, I might give you the ten points back." "After the movie, I'll bring Chloe over for a late dinner." I stared at the reservation card. The sheer nerve of it was almost funny. It was our seventh anniversary, and he was taking his new assistant to an IMAX movie. Meanwhile, I was supposed to settle the bill and decorate the restaurant like hired help. Even our anniversary dinner had become another task through which I had to earn his approval. For once, I did not cry and beg him to spend the evening with me. I did not ask why another woman was taking my place on our anniversary. I simply picked up the card. Printed across the front were the words: SKYLINE, TABLE FOR TWO. "Fine." Surprise flickered in Ethan's eyes. Usually, by this point, I would already be fighting back tears and pleading my case. He mistook my calm for surrender. He adjusted his tie, satisfied, and his tone softened. "Good. At least you're being reasonable." "And don't screw it up again, or your score goes straight to zero." Without another glance at me, he headed for the elevators with Chloe. She walked at his side, chatting brightly about the movie. I sat at my desk and watched them disappear around the corner. Then I opened the train app on my phone. My ticket had originally been booked for tomorrow. I changed it to eight o'clock that night. If I was ending everything, there was no reason to wait. Beneath the clear desk pad lay a printed spreadsheet. Ethan had personally titled it RELATIONSHIP CODE OF CONDUCT. Ten points off for being late. Twenty for talking back. Thirty for serving something that did not fit his meal plan. The ways to earn points were far more demanding. Handling every household chore perfectly for an entire week earned only five. In his game, I was always running myself ragged just to keep a passing score. I pulled the sheet from beneath the cover, placed it with the reservation card, folded both twice, and dropped them into the wastebasket under my desk. Then I shut down my computer, unplugged my flash drive, and packed my personal belongings into a canvas tote. I did not tell anyone I was leaving. I picked up my bag and walked out of the company Ethan and I had spent five years building together.

Chapter 2

The apartment was silent when I opened the door. Sunny, our golden retriever, came racing toward me, tail wagging. He pressed his furry head against my calf and whined. I crouched and wrapped both arms around him. I had found Sunny as a stray in a thunderstorm three years earlier. Ethan was obsessed with cleanliness and had fought me on adopting a dog. To keep Sunny, I had been forced to sign a set of one-sided terms on the scorecard. I had to clean the apartment three times a day. Every loose dog hair cost me one point. For three years, I had crawled over the floors like a maid, wiping up every strand before Ethan could see it. Whenever he was in a bad mood, though, he claimed the apartment smelled like dog and docked me fifty points on the spot. As I stroked Sunny's head, the tears finally came. "Come on, buddy. We're leaving." I stood, retrieved the large pet carrier gathering dust in the storage closet, then went to the bedroom and opened the wardrobe. More than half of it was filled with Ethan's custom suits. My clothes had been squeezed into a sliver of space at the far end. I took out my suitcase and packed only the casual clothes I had bought with my own money. I left every designer bag and dress Ethan had awarded me for earning points. They had never truly been mine. They were trophies from his scoring game. I zipped the suitcase shut with both hands. My phone buzzed. Chloe had posted a new story. In the photo, she sat in the theater's private VIP lounge holding an iced brown-sugar boba. A diamond necklace glittered at her throat. Her caption read: "Nothing beats IMAX. Thank you to the best boss for spoiling me and surprising me with this gorgeous gift." I recognized the necklace. Ethan had ordered it from the designer's website a month ago. At the time, he had shown me the picture and said it would be my gift if I reached one hundred points before our anniversary. I had spent a month getting up early to prepare his high-protein, low-carb meals, all for those last ten points. When his ulcer flared, I had even crossed the city in a downpour to pick up chicken soup from the one deli he insisted on. But because I left the house ten minutes late that morning, all ten points had vanished. And the necklace had naturally ended up around Chloe's neck. I stared at the blinding sparkle on my screen. The last shred of hope inside me finally broke. I did not confront Ethan. I calmly tapped the heart icon, then closed the app and opened a local errand service. I sent the concierge service our anniversary reservation details with a note: "Please cancel the private dining room at Skyline for eight tonight and have the deposit refunded to the original card." Once that was done, I clipped on Sunny's leash and secured him in his carrier. With the carrier in one hand and my suitcase rolling behind me, I headed for the door. We had split the down payment on the apartment. But because my credit history was too new when we bought it, only Ethan's name appeared on the deed. I once believed paperwork did not matter as long as we loved each other. Now I understood that when your name was nowhere on the title, you could be thrown out at any time. I set my spare key and building fob on the shoe cabinet and looked around the home I had spent five years creating. The cool-toned furniture I had chosen to suit Ethan's minimalist taste suddenly looked foreign. I opened the door and walked out without looking back.

Chapter 3

At seven thirty, I sat in Chicago Union Station with Sunny resting quietly inside his carrier, watching me through the mesh. Departures rolled across the digital board overhead. My phone began ringing hard enough to vibrate against my palm. Ethan's name flashed on the screen. I drew a breath and answered. His voice came through at once, tight with fury. "Ava, what the hell are you doing?" "I brought Chloe to Skyline, and the hostess said you never came to pay. Worse, you canceled the reservation." "Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a table here? Have you lost your mind?" His voice was so loud that it carried through the cavernous waiting area. I shifted the phone to my other hand. My voice remained flat. "No, I haven't." "You weren't planning to have dinner with me, so I didn't see a reason to keep it." Chloe's wounded complaint drifted through the phone. "Ethan, forget it. Ava must be angry with me." "This is all my fault. I never should have agreed to the movie if it was going to upset her." Ethan's temper ignited instantly. "Ava, when are you going to stop?" "Taking Chloe to the movie was work-related. Do you have to turn everything into a jealousy fit?" "You ruined our anniversary and humiliated me in front of an employee." Then came the sentence, delivered in the same lofty tone he always used when handing down a verdict. "You have thirty minutes." "Get over here, apologize to Chloe, and find us another place for dinner." "If you don't, your score goes negative, and I'll make sure you spend the rest of the month earning your way back." I listened to the threat I had heard in a hundred different forms and felt only tired. "I'm not coming, Ethan." Silence held for a beat. He had not expected such a direct refusal. "What did you say?" "You think you can just ignore the rules?" A line was beginning to form at the gate. "You made the rules," I said. "But I'm done playing." "Score anyone you like. It won't be me." Ethan gave a cold laugh. "If this is some stunt to make me chase you, it won't work." "You think canceling a reservation gives you leverage over me?" "Who else is going to put up with your constant drama?" "Since you're determined to be ungrateful, don't bother coming home tonight." "Take that filthy dog and find somewhere else to sleep. Maybe a night outside this apartment will teach you something." "If there isn't a written apology waiting for me by eight tomorrow morning, you'll never set foot in my home again." He thought taking away my right to come home was the punishment I feared most. In the past, whenever we fought and he used that threat, I immediately begged him to forgive me. I was terrified he would throw me out and leave Sunny homeless. Now I listened to his self-important judgment and watched the light above the gate turn green. A faint smile touched my lips. "All right." "I'm never coming back."

Watch & Promotions

About this novel