
Theater: MotoNovel | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
My parents suffered from severe, chronic anxiety.
The only catch was that their anxiety was reserved exclusively for my younger sister, Cathy.
Whenever I brought home a test score higher than hers, the house would sink into a suffocating gloom. My parents would stay up all night, pacing the hallway and sighing into the dark, terrified that my success would crush Cathy’s fragile self-esteem. To let them sleep, I learned how to deliberately miscalculate math problems and erase correct answers—orchestrating my grades with surgical precision just so Cathy could stay perched above me.
When I hit a growth spurt in middle school and shot up half a head taller than her, my mother broke out in stress hives. She spent thousands of dollars on boutique nutritional regimens and endocrinologist consultations, desperate to give Cathy growth hormone therapy.
For years, I told myself they were just overprotective. That worrying was simply how they loved.
Then came the afternoon my acceptance letter arrived from the country’s top medical school.
There was no celebratory dinner waiting on the stove. No uncorked bottle of wine. No proud smile.
It was the biggest milestone of my life, yet my mother sat at the kitchen table, clutching Cathy’s hands with a face full of sorrow.
"Your sister is going to be a surgeon," Mom lamented, her voice trembling as if mourning a tragedy. "Her future is set. But Cathy, with your mediocre grades... what are you going to do? How will you ever survive in this economy?"
Dad’s brow was furrowed into deep, brooding trenches. Without looking at me, he made the executive decision:
"Tomorrow morning, I’m transferring the deed to the downtown condo entirely into Cathy’s name. At least that way, she’ll have a roof over her head and some leverage in life."
I sat across from them, my fingers frozen around my fork, as a slow, icy ache bloomed behind my ribs.
In that quiet moment, the veil dropped. All those years of frantic "anxiety" weren't a mental health st
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
My parents suffered from severe, chronic anxiety.
The only catch was that their anxiety was reserved exclusively for my younger sister, Cathy.
Whenever I brought home a test score higher than hers, the house would sink into a suffocating gloom. My parents would stay up all night, pacing the hallway and sighing into the dark, terrified that my success would crush Cathy’s fragile self-esteem. To let them sleep, I learned how to deliberately miscalculate math problems and erase correct answers—orchestrating my grades with surgical precision just so Cathy could stay perched above me.
When I hit a growth spurt in middle school and shot up half a head taller than her, my mother broke out in stress hives. She spent thousands of dollars on boutique nutritional regimens and endocrinologist consultations, desperate to give Cathy growth hormone therapy.
For years, I told myself they were just overprotective. That worrying was simply how they loved.
Then came the afternoon my acceptance letter arrived from the country’s top medical school.
There was no celebratory dinner waiting on the stove. No uncorked bottle of wine. No proud smile.
It was the biggest milestone of my life, yet my mother sat at the kitchen table, clutching Cathy’s hands with a face full of sorrow.
"Your sister is going to be a surgeon," Mom lamented, her voice trembling as if mourning a tragedy. "Her future is set. But Cathy, with your mediocre grades... what are you going to do? How will you ever survive in this economy?"
Dad’s brow was furrowed into deep, brooding trenches. Without looking at me, he made the executive decision:
"Tomorrow morning, I’m transferring the deed to the downtown condo entirely into Cathy’s name. At least that way, she’ll have a roof over her head and some leverage in life."
I sat across from them, my fingers frozen around my fork, as a slow, icy ache bloomed behind my ribs.
In that quiet moment, the veil dropped. All those years of frantic "anxiety" weren't a mental health struggle—they were just a convenient disguise for blatant favoritism. They loved Cathy so fiercely, so desperately, that the mere thought of me outshining her, even by an inch, felt to them like an injustice.
I stood up, walked calmly back to my bedroom, and pulled out the residency application I had spent months preparing for the premier metropolitan hospital in our city.
Without hesitation, I tore it in half.
I opened my laptop, navigated to the application portal for the international frontline humanitarian surgical corps—a program deploying trauma doctors straight into active conflict zones—and firmly hit "Enter".
If they planned to spend the rest of their lives building a safety net exclusively for her, then I would rather throw myself into the crossfire of the world, never to return.
…
Over the next few days, Mom began waking up before dawn to simmer herbal restorative broths.
I stood in the kitchen doorway one morning, watching the steam curl against the cabinets. I didn't have to ask; I already knew the soup wasn't meant for me.
Sure enough, Mom poured it into a porcelain bowl, carried it over to Cathy, and then pulled me into the hallway, whispering under her breath, "We’re going to the Andersons' graduation party next door tonight. Cathy didn't get into her target college, and she’s in a terrible mood. You need to come along."
She wrung her hands. "Your sister is so emotionally fragile. Being around other kids celebrating is going to break her heart. Please, Megan, just be mindful..."
I looked at the distress etched across her forehead. I said nothing.
At the restaurant, the private dining room was packed with neighbors and family friends. Cathy sat right in the center, dressed in a designer pastel sundress, her makeup immaculate, holding court like a pampered princess.
The moment I sat down, someone across the table smiled warmly. "Megan! We heard you got into Johns Hopkins for med school! That’s incredible, honey. You’ve worked so hard."
Before I could even murmur a thank-you, Mom cut in with a self-deprecating laugh.
"Oh, Megan has always been a bookworm. Doing well on tests comes easy to her," Mom said, waving a dismissive hand before turning the spotlight back where she wanted it. "It’s our poor Cathy I lose sleep over. Being born after such an academically gifted older sister has been so hard on her self-worth. We worry ourselves sick about her every single day."
Dad chimed in, nodding solemnly. "Exactly. Seeing her sister succeed so effortlessly... Cathy carries that pain inside, even when she doesn't say a word."
A sudden, uncomfortable silence settled over the table. The neighbors exchanged awkward glances, clearly unsure how to respond to parents actively belittling their high-achieving daughter to comfort the younger one.
Yet my parents were entirely blind to their own cruelty. They just kept broadcasting their neurotic worry, expecting everyone else to validate it.
Sitting there, an overwhelming exhaustion washed over me.
For as long as I could remember, whenever I accomplished something remarkable, the atmosphere at home never turned joyful. It turned anxious. As if my competence were a personal attack on my sister. As if my only duty in this family was to stay small, stay quiet, and stay beneath her so everyone else could remain comfortable.
Halfway through the meal, Cathy sighed and announced she wanted an iced matcha latte from the artisanal café down the street.
There were a dozen adults at the table, but Mom's eyes immediately locked onto me.
"Megan, run down and grab that for your sister."
I pushed back my chair and stepped out into the humid evening air.
The line at the café wrapped around the block. By the time I carried the drinks back up to the private room, the lights were dimmed, and the entire room was singing "Happy Birthday".
I froze in the doorway, the condensation from the plastic cups dripping onto my shoes.
It wasn't Cathy’s birthday. And it certainly wasn't mine.
Dad had simply slipped out and paid the waitstaff to bring in a lavish slice of velvet cake with a sparkler on top—a spur-of-the-moment gesture because Cathy looked downcast and needed cheering up.
Mom was holding up her phone, recording Cathy with a doting smile. Dad stood beside her, urging the table, "Come on, everyone, say something sweet to make the girl smile!"
I stood by the entrance holding the drink carrier until a neighbor noticed me and said politely, "Megan’s back! Why don't you two blow out the sparkler together? A double celebration for both sisters."
Dad waved his hand dismissively. "No, no, don't make a fuss. Megan, hand the drinks out, would you?"
In that split second, I didn't even feel the sharp sting of betrayal.
I just felt numb.
When we got home that night, I went into our shared room to organize my medical prep binders. Under the corner of the study desk, wedged beneath the heavy wooden leg to keep it from wobbling, were several sheets of crumpled paper.
I knelt down and pulled them out.
They were my handwritten clinical anatomy notes. The edges were crushed and stained with grime, and the top sheet had a jagged tear straight through my surgical diagrams.
I turned toward Cathy. She was lying across her bed, scrolling through her phone, not even bothering to look up.
"It’s just paper," she muttered flippantly. "You’re a genius, aren't you? Just write it again."
I tightened my grip on the torn pages. "What is wrong with your attitude?"
She finally lifted her chin, offering a smug, mocking little grin. "What attitude? You’re leaving for med school anyway. This room is going to be mine soon. I can do whatever I want in here."
I looked down at the ruined ink, and a memory from childhood surfaced unbidden: the first illustrated human anatomy book I had ever saved up to buy. Cathy had dumped it into a sink full of soapy water until the pages turned to mush. When I ran crying to my parents, Mom had only scolded me: "She’s younger than you, Megan. She didn't mean it. Why can't you just be the bigger person?"
Over the years, the demands only grew. Whenever I tried to stand my ground, my parents would weaponize their sacrifices: "We gave you life, we put food on your table, how can you be so selfish toward your own sister?"
Their love was like a soaked wool coat in winter—suffocating when you wore it, freezing when you tried to take it off.
I smoothed out the torn sheets one by one, placed them carefully on my desk, and turned back to face her.
"Starting today, Cathy," I said, my voice eerily quiet, "I am never letting you have your way again."
She rolled her eyes, convinced it was an empty threat.
A moment later, our parents walked into the room. Dad was carrying a manila folder with the city registry seal visible on the corner—the freshly minted deed to the downtown property. The second he caught me looking, his instinct was to pull the folder behind his back.
I looked away, pretending I hadn't noticed the guilt in his posture, though the bitterness settled deep in my gut.
The front doorbell rang.
It was Patrick.
Patrick and I had grown up together on the same suburban block. For years, our connection had been an open secret—an unspoken, tender understanding that we were waiting until we both finished our degrees before officially defining our relationship. He had always been careful, telling me he didn't want to distract me while I studied for the MCAT.
He walked through the door holding a gift bag, his eyes finding mine with an easy, affectionate smile. "Congratulations, Megan. You did it."
For a fleeting second, a warm flutter bloomed in my chest.
Even my parents' demeanor shifted. Mom rushed to usher Patrick to the sofa, while Dad casually told Cathy to scoot over—effectively clearing the cushion next to Patrick that should have been mine.
Cathy was wearing an innocent, docile expression now. She slid right beside him, pushing a plate of sliced fruit toward his hands. "Have some melon, Patrick."
Dad began asking about Patrick’s new design firm. When Patrick mentioned that his startup had just landed a lucrative corporate contract, Mom’s eyes practically lit up.
"Young men with your drive and stability are so rare these days," Mom gushed, leaning forward. "Successful, polite, and so caring..." She paused, letting out a heavy, deliberate sigh. "Our Cathy has always been so vulnerable. If she could only find someone steady like you to take care of her, I could finally sleep at night."
The faint smile on my lips froze solid.
Dad jumped in seamlessly. "Megan will always land on her feet. It’s Cathy we have to look out for. But thankfully, we’re setting her up with the downtown condo so she’ll always have leverage, no matter who she marries."
Cathy lowered her head with a shy, coquettish laugh, her hand lightly brushing Patrick’s forearm. "If you have any single business partners, Patrick, you should introduce me. A guy like you must have great friends."
Patrick stiffened slightly. He pulled his arm back, his eyes darting toward me with a flicker of unease.
I didn't touch a single bite of food for the rest of the evening.
Every fiber of my being wanted to scream at my parents. I wanted to demand why Cathy was handed the world on a silver platter without ever lifting a finger. Why even my romantic life had to be re-engineered around their anxiety for her. Did I truly have to surrender every piece of my happiness just so Cathy would never feel lacking?
In the end, I swallowed every word.
After dinner, Patrick offered to walk me downstairs. Out by the curb, under the amber glow of the streetlights, I looked down at my sneakers, the hurt finally cracking through my composure.
"Patrick," I murmured hesitantly, "what if I move out early? What if we find an apartment together near the hospital district?"
He stopped dead in his tracks, blinking at me as if I had spoken in another language.
"Megan... that’s a bit fast, don't you think?" he said after an uncomfortable pause. "I mean, we’re just good friends."
The words felt like a bucket of ice water dumped over my head.
My voice came out raspy, stripped of warmth. "Just friends? Is that what this is?"
He took a step back, widening the physical space between us. "Look, your parents might have phrased things clumsily tonight. But they’re just worried about Cathy. She’s never had your drive or your intelligence. It’s natural for the family to look out for her a bit more. Don't be so petty about it. You’re her older sister—you’re supposed to protect her."
Seeing the look on my face, he softened his tone, though it only made the condescension worse. "You’ve always been the strong one, Megan. You don't need to keep score over every little thing."
I stared at him. The boy I had spent years caring for. The boy who had promised to stand by me.
And in that single moment, I realized his spine was made of the exact same twisted logic as my parents'.
"I see," I said, a hollow laugh escaping my lips.
I unclasped the silver pendant necklace he had given me for my twenty-first birthday, reached out, and dropped it into his open palm.
His lips parted to say something, but he swallowed it down, turning on his heel and walking away into the night.
A strange, quiet clarity settled over me.
No matter how hard I ran, no matter how much I accomplished, I could never hold onto anything in this house. The game was rigged.
When I walked back inside, I told my parents plainly that Patrick and I were nothing more than casual acquaintances.
Mom let out a visible, unvarnished sigh of relief. "Oh, good. That’s for the best."
I didn't reply. I went straight to my room, shut the door, and dragged my duffel bag from the closet.
Halfway through packing, my laptop chimed on the desk.
I had an incoming email from the international humanitarian surgical division: "Preliminary Screening Approved."
I scrolled down to the mandatory disclosure section, staring at the bolded liability waiver: "High Risk of Hostile Engagement, Shrapnel, and Mortality."
My heart rate didn't even spike. In fact, a profound peace settled over my chest.
What was a life worth, anyway, when no one in your corner valued it?
If my existence meant nothing here, I might as well spend it pulling strangers out of rubble.
…
A few days before my final deployment briefing, Patrick showed up at my doorstep again.
He claimed he wanted to take me out for lunch to clear the air. I initially refused, but eventually agreed, foolishly wondering if he had come to offer a genuine apology.
Instead, over our salads at the downtown shopping pavilion, he brought up the same old defense.
"Your mom and dad have been stressed about Cathy for twenty years, Megan. It’s just a habit for them at this point," he reasoned, cutting his steak. "She’s fragile. You’ve always been resilient. You of all people should understand why they cater to her."
He looked at me across the table, his voice low and placating. "You’re better than her in every way. Why can't you just let her have this?"
With those words, the last lingering trace of affection I held for him withered into ash.
He didn't lack understanding; he had simply chosen his side.
The pavilion was crowded that afternoon. As we sat in the tense silence, a sudden commotion erupted from the concourse.
People were screaming, sprinting toward the exits. A shrill fire alarm began blaring through the ceiling speakers as thick, acrid black smoke poured out from the kitchen vents of a nearby steakhouse.
Panic swept through the corridor like a wave.
And then my blood ran cold: through the rushing crowd, I saw my parents and Cathy on the very same floor. They had come to the mall to buy Cathy a new phone.
Cathy spotted us first. "Patrick! Dad! Mom!" she shrieked, sprinting toward us.
Mom was crying out from behind, and Dad was elbowing his way through the surging mob.
Right at that second, a heavy commercial display board suspended from the ceiling tore loose under the heat, crashing down with a deafening thud and blocking the main walkway between us.
Patrick was shoved forward by the fleeing crowd, landing squarely in the narrow gap between Cathy and me.
"Patrick, help me!" Cathy wailed, tears streaming down her cheeks.
I didn't scream. I didn't shout his name.
I just stood there amidst the smoke, looking him straight in the eyes.
In that split second, I already knew what was coming.
Without a shred of hesitation, Patrick reached out, seized Cathy by the wrist, wrapped his arm around her shoulders, and bolted toward the illuminated emergency exit.
He didn't look back. Not once.
I stood anchored in the choking gray fog, my eyes burning from the smoke, watching their figures disappear through the fire doors.
The last tether holding me to that boy snapped, clean and absolute.
The fire was contained by the sprinkler systems minutes later, and I walked out of the mall completely unscathed.
When Patrick finally found me standing near the ambulances outside, his face was pale, immediately launching into frantic rationalizations.
"Megan, it was absolute chaos in there! Cathy was right next to me—"
"I’m always the last choice, aren't I?" I interrupted quietly.
He flinched. "No, that’s not what happened! You’re level-headed, Megan. I knew you could find a way out on your own—"
"Patrick," I said, my voice dead and steady, "I thank God every day that I never ended up with you."
He froze as if struck.
I brushed past his shoulder and kept walking.
When I got home, what truly made my stomach churn was Cathy.
She stepped out of the bathroom with a wet towel over her shoulders, deliberately sweeping her damp hair to one side to reveal a faint reddish bruise on her collarbone from the crowd.
She leaned against the doorframe and smirked. "You’re so smart and accomplished, Megan. How come you couldn't even hold onto your own man?"
A high-pitched ringing filled my ears.
Before she could blink, I stepped forward and cracked my palm across her face.
"Slap."
The sound was sharp and violent.
Cathy gasped in shock, then let out a bloodcurdling shriek.
My parents burst out of the living room, immediately lunging forward to shield her.
"Megan! Have you lost your mind?!" Mom shrieked, her lower lip quivering with rage.
I stood there, my hand still trembling with adrenaline.
Neither of them asked what Cathy had said. Neither of them asked why I had hit her. Their only concern was inspecting Cathy’s reddened cheek, cooing over her like an injured bird.
Mom held her tight, glaring at me with venom. "We know you feel neglected sometimes, Megan, but how could you be so cruel to your own sister?"
Dad added, his voice heavy with condemnation, "You have a bright future ahead of you. You can find another boyfriend anytime! Why do you have to be so venomous toward Cathy?"
Looking at them, the final puzzle piece fell into place.
To them, I was entirely expendable. Anything I lost—my pride, my boyfriend, my home, my peace of mind—was irrelevant, because in their eyes, I was strong enough to absorb the damage.
Cathy was the only one who mattered.
I sat on the edge of my bed that night, watching the moonlight slowly cross the floorboards until dawn broke.
I finally accepted the truth:
This family would never choose me.
Patrick would never choose me.
Whenever life forced them into a binary choice, I would always be the one discarded.
So I was done waiting for their validation.
I was going to choose myself.
…
The atmosphere in the house remained subzero for days.
Mom spent every waking second catering to Cathy. Dad refused to look me in the eye. Patrick never showed his face again.
On the third evening, disaster struck.
Cathy had been in a foul mood and insisted on taking the car out alone to blow off steam. Mom had begged Dad to go with her, but Cathy threw a tantrum, slammed the door, and sped off.
Twenty minutes later, the hospital called.
She had run a red light and broadsided a utility truck.
By the time I arrived at the trauma center, the ER bay was in utter pandemonium. The attending surgeon announced that Cathy was suffering from massive internal bleeding and needed immediate transfusions.
The problem was her blood type: AB negative. The regional blood bank was critically low on donor units.
I was her only direct match.
In an instant, every desperate, frantic eye in the hallway swiveled to lock onto me.
Mom grabbed my arms, her fingernails digging through my jacket, her eyes bloodshot. "Megan, please... Mom is begging you. Save your sister!"
Dad stood beside her, his voice dark and demanding. "Go in there right now! She only went driving because you upset her. You owe her this!"
Even Patrick, who had rushed to the hospital, stood at the end of the corridor, calling out in a low, pleading tone: "Megan, if you do this... I swear I’ll make things right between us. We can be together."
A bitter chill seeped into my bones.
I didn't answer any of them. I simply turned and walked into the blood donor bay, lying down on the vinyl recliner.
"One last time," I thought. "After this, I owe this family nothing."
At first, the phlebotomist set the collection for a standard single unit.
But as the bags filled, the surgical nurse kept rushing out of the OR, frantic. The hemorrhaging wasn't fully stabilized; they needed more whole blood. Could they draw another unit?
My parents didn't hesitate for a single second.
"Take it!" Dad shouted through the doorway. "Take whatever she has!"
They drew eight hundred milliliters.
Lying on that vinyl bed, my fingers and toes gradually lost all sensation. A cold prickle spread through my limbs, and my vision began to narrow into a dark, tunneling blur.
Outside the glass partition, my parents weren't looking at me. Their eyes were glued to the red light above the operating suite where Cathy lay.
When the nurse finally pulled the thick needle from my vein, I tried to push myself up on one elbow.
The world tilted, and I blacked out.
…
When I opened my eyes again, I was lying in a dimly lit observation ward.
Night had fallen. An IV line was taped to the bruised back of my hand.
I turned my head toward the plastic chair beside my bed.
It was completely empty.
A passing nurse checked my vitals and told me gently, "Your sister’s surgery was successful. She’s in the recovery unit. Your family is all over there with her."
I stared at the acoustic tiles on the ceiling for a very long time.
I remembered a time, back when I was eight years old, when I had caught a severe case of pneumonia. In my foggy memory, that was the only time my mother had ever looked at me with pure tenderness—spoon-feeding me broth, coming straight from work every evening to hold my hand.
It turned out that version of her had died a long time ago.
It wasn't until late the following afternoon that Mom finally stepped into my room for five minutes. She placed a plastic container of lukewarm oatmeal on my bedside table, an awkward flicker of guilt in her eyes.
"Thank you for saving your sister," she murmured softly. "You worked hard."
My heart felt entirely hollow. Not a single ripple of emotion stirred within me.
The moment she walked out to return to Cathy, I called the floor nurse and signed my own discharge papers against medical advice.
My parents were so consumed by Cathy’s postoperative care that they didn't even notice I was gone.
I took a cab straight to the federal building downtown, using my expedited humanitarian clearance papers to fast-track my passport and visa processing.
During my final days in the city, the house was a ghost town. My parents spent every hour at the hospital, leaving me entirely alone in the quiet rooms.
I went into the storage closet and pulled out our old family photo albums, flipping through the glossy pages.
In every single portrait, Cathy was planted dead center. Held in someone’s arms, holding someone’s hand, bathed in adoration. I was always relegated to the far edge of the frame.
Every tiny milestone of hers was preserved in crystal-clear focus. Meanwhile, my valedictorian certificates, my science fair trophies, my moments on stage were captured only in a handful of blurry, distant snapshots.
On the seventh night, I packed everything I owned into two standard-issue deployment duffel bags.
Then, I sat down at my desk and wrote a letter.
My penmanship was steady and neat.
I told them that moving forward, I would no longer accept any decisions they made on my behalf. I would no longer carry the crushing weight of their expectations under the guise of being "the older sister" or "family."
At the very bottom, I penned one final sentence:
"I am never coming back. If word of me ever reaches this house again, assume it is my casualty notification."
I left the envelope propped up against the salt shaker in the center of the kitchen table.
Then, I picked up my bags, walked out into the cool midnight air, and closed the door behind me.
I didn't look back.
…
It was well past midnight when my parents finally returned from the hospital.
Mom called out my name twice into the dark hallway. There was no answer.
Dad walked into the kitchen, his eyes catching the white envelope on the table. He picked it up and began to read. Halfway through the page, his body went entirely rigid.
When they finished reading and threw open the door to my bedroom, finding the closet bare, the shelves cleared, and the space completely hollowed out—
Mom collapsed onto the hardwood floor, her face buried in her hands, her breath catching in a dry, agonizing sob.
- Search this code in the MotoNovel app:
580023 Open MotoNovel → Search code → Find the title