ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

He Saved Her, So I Disappeared

GoodNovel · English · Theater: GoodNovel, Lang: English ·

He Saved Her, So I Disappeared

Theater: GoodNovel  |  Language: English

Synopsis

After my fiancé ran away with my sister, I became the biggest scandal in New York.
Then Roman Vescari—the feared Don of the Vescari crime family—confessed that he had loved me for years.
I married him.
For five years, Roman treated me like the center of his world. Everyone believed I was the cherished wife of New York's most powerful mafia don.
Then I overheard him speaking to his consigliere.
"Celeste is Adrian's wife now. Are you really going to spend the rest of your life pretending to love Evelyn?"
Roman fell silent.
"I married Evelyn. I'll love her and give her everything a Vescari wife deserves. Celeste is in the past."
But when Celeste and I fell into a freezing lake, Roman swam past me to save her, leaving me to sink only yards away.
That was when I finally understood.
He could protect me for the rest of his life, but his first instinct would never be to choose me.
After I was rescued, I arranged my death at sea and ended our five-year marriage.
When Roman learned of my "death," the ruthless mafia don shoved Celeste away, coughed up blood, and seemed to age ten years overnight.

Chapters (1)

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

After my fiancé ran away with my sister, I became the biggest scandal in New York. Then Roman Vescari—the feared Don of the Vescari crime family—confessed that he had loved me for years. I married him. For five years, Roman treated me like the center of his world. Everyone believed I was the cherished wife of New York's most powerful mafia don. Then I overheard him speaking to his consigliere. "Celeste is Adrian's wife now. Are you really going to spend the rest of your life pretending to love Evelyn?" Roman fell silent. "I married Evelyn. I'll love her and give her everything a Vescari wife deserves. Celeste is in the past." But when Celeste and I fell into a freezing lake, Roman swam past me to save her, leaving me to sink only yards away. That was when I finally understood. He could protect me for the rest of his life, but his first instinct would never be to choose me. After I was rescued, I arranged my death at sea and ended our five-year marriage. When Roman learned of my "death," the ruthless mafia don shoved Celeste away, coughed up blood, and seemed to age ten years overnight. Chapter 1 "Mrs. Vescari, the yacht will reach the designated waters shortly after midnight tomorrow," the man on the phone said. "Our people will remove you before the accident is reported.Within three days, Evelyn Vescari will be declared dead, and Claire Rowan will arrive in Milan." He paused before asking, "Do you want to cancel the arrangement?" I stood at the end of the hospital corridor and watched snow gather on the windowsill. "Proceed as planned." I ended the call, deleted the number, and slipped the phone into my hospital gown. Water still burned in my lungs when I breathed. I steadied myself against the wall and returned to my room. Roman came toward me as soon as he saw me. "Did the doctor give you permission to leave bed?" He guided me back beneath the covers and adjusted them around my shoulders. Roman Vescari gave orders that senior members of his family rarely questioned, yet he handled me with endless patience. He took a white pastry box from inside his coat. "Lemon pastries from that bakery you like in Brooklyn." The box was still warm. Snow had slowed traffic across half the city, but he had remembered that I hated hospital food. The night nurse paused beside the bed. "Your husband stayed here until morning. I told him to rest, but he refused to leave." Roman smiled politely and brushed the hair away from my forehead. "She hates waking up alone." He had cared for me this way throughout our marriage. When stomach pain kept me awake, he canceled family dinners and stayed home. Before my first formal Vescari gathering, he had the seating arrangements changed because he knew crowds made me uneasy. After a business associate insulted me at a private club, the man lost every contract he held with Vescari companies. Everyone in New York believed Roman loved me. I had believed it too. Five years earlier, Adrian Falcone promised to marry me after I graduated from design school. At the celebration, he walked past me and placed a ring on Celeste's finger in front of both families. Roman found me after the guests began whispering. He offered no empty comfort. He only asked if I wanted to leave with him. I married him three months later, certain that I had finally found a man who would choose me without hesitation. That certainty ended the night before. The Vescari family had hosted a charity dinner at its estate on Lake George. Celeste asked me to meet her in the boathouse because she wanted to discuss Adrian. Once we reached the dock, she seized my wrist and pulled me into the water. Then she began screaming that I had pushed her. Roman heard us and ran from the house. Celeste was farther from shore, but he did not look at me before swimming past. He carried her to the dock while the freezing water dragged me down. An estate security guard eventually pulled me out. After I regained consciousness, I heard Roman speaking to Victor, his adviser, outside my room. "You married Evelyn, and Celeste married Adrian," Victor said. "How long are you going to keep running whenever Celeste calls?" Roman remained silent before answering. "Celeste is part of my past. I married Evelyn, and I will give her everything Mrs. Vescari deserves." His voice had been calm and sincere. I thought of the home he had chosen for me, the jewelry he bought, and every anniversary he had remembered. Roman had fulfilled every duty he associated with marriage, and he intended to continue. The lake had exposed the one choice he could not control. Roman opened the pastry box and offered me one. "Are you still angry?" "No." He studied my face. "Celeste was closer. I did not have time to think. I know you were frightened, but she is still your sister." The cameras near the boathouse would have shown him the distance between us. I did not remind him, and I did not tell him that I had watched him swim by. "I understand." The tension left his shoulders. He sat beside me and closed his hand around mine. "Tomorrow is our fifth anniversary. The yacht is ready. We can spend the night at sea, and when you recover, we will discuss that trip to Milan." Milan had once been the center of every plan I made. My former mentor, Theo Arden, ran a design studio there and had invited me to join his team twice. I refused the first invitation because I wanted Adrian. I refused the second after I accepted Roman's proposal. "All right," I said as I took the pastry. "We will go to the marina tomorrow." Roman kissed my forehead. His phone lit up before he could sit down again, and his expression changed when he read the name on the screen. "There is a problem at one of the family hotels. I need to handle it. I will return before dinner." He took his coat and left without waiting for my answer. Less than a minute later, Celeste sent me an address on the Upper East Side and one line beneath it. Follow him. You should see who those pastries were really meant for. Chapter 2 Celeste lived in an Upper East Side townhouse owned by the Falcone family. I left the cab at the corner and crossed the snow-covered sidewalk alone. The doorman recognized me and admitted me without calling upstairs. Roman's voice carried through the partly open drawing room door. "The cut is shallow, but keep it dry for a few days." He sat beside Celeste on the sofa, holding her hand as he covered the small cut across her palm with gauze. The medical kit rested at his feet. Celeste noticed my shadow beyond the door, and the corner of her mouth lifted. "Evelyn is waiting at the hospital. Won't she worry when she realizes you left?" "She thinks I am handling a problem at the hotel." "You always come when I need help. Adrian would not like it." Roman put away the bandage. "Adrian is out of town, and you should not be alone when you are hurt." Five years ago, Adrian had chosen Celeste. Now she was his wife, yet one shallow cut could still bring my husband to her door. Roman crossed to the dining table and opened a large white box. It held more than a dozen lemon pastries, identical to the two he had brought me. "That bakery was not delivering today," Celeste said as she selected one. "You remembered they were my favorite." "You have loved them since we were young." He pushed the whole box toward her. The pastries beside my hospital bed had come from this box. Roman had handed them to me and calmly let me believe he had crossed the city for me. Celeste kept glancing toward the door as if she expected me to storm inside. I turned away before she could have the confrontation she wanted. Dizziness struck as I descended the steps. I caught the iron railing, and the needle mark on my hand split open against the metal. Blood seeped through the gauze as I closed my coat and hailed another cab. Roman returned soon after I reached the hospital. He took one look at the empty impression on the bed and came straight toward me. "Where did you go? The nurse said you were gone for almost two hours." "I needed some air." "It is snowing, and your lungs have not recovered." He checked my face and touched my forehead. I kept my injured hand under the blanket. "You have been acting differently since the lake," he said. "You usually argue when Celeste calls. Today, you barely looked at me. What is wrong?" My anger had always reassured him. It proved that I still cared where he went and how long he stayed. "I am tired." "Are you still thinking about the accident?" "The doctor said I need rest." Roman studied me, searching for the familiar resentment. When he reached for my hand, he finally saw the stained gauze. "When did this happen?" "The needle mark opened." He called the nurse and watched as she cleaned it. After she left, he kept my hand in his. "We can cancel tomorrow." "You already arranged the yacht." His expression softened. "I will stay beside you. Nothing will happen this time." The doctor discharged me the next afternoon. Roman came to collect me himself, while his assistant took our luggage to the marina. The passenger seat had been pushed much farther back than usual. A cashmere scarf embroidered with Celeste's initials lay inside the door pocket. Roman followed my gaze and placed it in the glove compartment. "Her driver was unavailable yesterday, so I took her home. She was still shaken after the lake." "She seemed to be recovering." His hand paused. "Did you see her?" "I saw her at the charity dinner." Roman watched me before starting the car. He did not ask again. Instead, he explained that the yacht's bedroom had fresh linens and that a doctor would remain nearby. His phone rang as we drove toward the private marina in Brooklyn. His expression tightened when he saw the caller's name. After a brief conversation, he pulled to the curb. "There is a problem within the Falcone family. Celeste cannot reach Adrian, and I need to check on her." "Today is our anniversary." "I know." Roman turned toward me. "Victor will take you to the marina. I will join you within an hour." He sounded apologetic, but he was already calling Victor. "Adrian should handle his wife's problems." "He cannot be reached, and our families share several businesses. I cannot ignore this." Roman kissed my forehead, promised to arrive before the yacht left, and transferred me to the car following us. Then he turned back toward Manhattan. I boarded the yacht at six. Dinner waited beneath the lights of the enclosed deck. Roman had ordered white roses and a bottle of champagne from the year we married. Neither place setting was touched. At seven thirty, Celeste sent me a photograph. Roman sat beside her fireplace, studying papers Adrian had left behind. Celeste wore his coat and held the last lemon pastry. Two messages followed. Adrian chose me on the day you graduated. Five years later, Roman still leaves you whenever I call. I called Roman three times, but he did not answer. At ten, the captain approached and asked whether we should continue waiting. I silenced my phone and looked at the empty chair across from me. "Take us out." "Mr. Vescari has not arrived." "I am the only guest tonight." As the yacht pulled away, the lights of Manhattan receded behind me. I opened the champagne Roman had chosen for our anniversary and poured the first glass for myself. Chapter 3 The lights of Manhattan faded into the night as the yacht left the harbor. I finished dinner alone and returned the champagne to its bucket. Roman's white roses stood in the center of the table, and the place setting across from me remained untouched. He still had not called. Inside the bedroom, I removed a folder from the lining of my suitcase. It contained Celeste's messages, a copy of the surveillance footage from the boathouse, and the recording I had made outside my hospital room. Victor asked Roman how long he intended to keep taking care of Celeste. Roman answered that he would give me everything a Vescari wife deserved. I scheduled the files to be sent at six the next morning. Roman, Adrian, and the senior members of both families would receive the same evidence. I attached one final letter. Roman, Five years ago, you offered me your hand when I was humiliated in front of everyone. I was grateful, and I believed I had married a man who would always choose me. You gave me a privileged life and fulfilled every duty you believed a husband owed his wife. I needed more than the Vescari name, a beautiful house, and expensive jewelry. You made your choice when we fell into the lake. Tonight, you made it again. You no longer need to compensate me, and I will no longer wait for you. Evelyn I removed my wedding ring. Roman had chosen the diamond himself. On our wedding day, he placed it on my finger and promised that he would protect me before anyone else. I sealed the ring and my old phone inside a waterproof pouch and gave it to the crewman waiting outside. Near midnight, the yacht entered a dark stretch of water. The captain turned off the deck lights, and a small motorboat approached from the darkness. The man who had arranged my disappearance boarded the yacht and handed me a travel bag. It held Claire Rowan's passport, cash, and a ticket to Milan. "Once you leave, you cannot contact anyone from your former life," he said. "I understand." "The yacht will continue without you. The Coast Guard will find the wreckage and the personal belongings you left behind. By morning, everyone will believe you died in the accident." I put on a dark coat and tucked my hair beneath a hat. Before stepping onto the motorboat, I looked back at the yacht Roman had prepared for our anniversary. He had promised to watch the sunrise with me. He was still with Celeste, and I would be gone before dawn. I accepted the man's hand and climbed aboard. The motorboat turned away while the yacht continued along its planned course. An orange glow appeared on the water several minutes later. Flames spread through the cabin and lit the waves around it. The yacht veered toward the rocks, and an explosion broke through the night. I kept my face forward and closed my hand around the passport in my pocket. Roman's POV I closed Adrian's file shortly before ten thirty. The documents concerned an investment dispute within the Falcone family. Celeste could have given them to an attorney, but she had cried on the phone and claimed Adrian planned to divorce her and take away her shares in the family company. Her distress had disappeared soon after I arrived. "The attorneys will contact Adrian tomorrow," I said as I stood. "They can handle the rest." Celeste pulled my coat around her shoulders. "Are you still going to the marina?" "I made a promise to Evelyn." "The yacht has already left. You cannot reach her now." I looked at the clock and reached for my phone. I had silenced all calls while reviewing confidential records. Three missed calls from Evelyn filled the screen. I called her immediately, but she did not answer. Celeste rose from the sofa. "She is angry. Evelyn loves you so much that she will forgive you once you explain." I remembered how quiet Evelyn had been at the hospital. She had not questioned where I went or reacted to the scarf in my car. She had not tried to stop me when I turned back toward Manhattan. In the past, she always demanded to know whether she or Celeste mattered more. Those arguments had frustrated me. Her silence felt worse. I grabbed my coat and headed for the door. Celeste caught my arm. "Roman, I need you." "Your attorneys will protect your interests." "You never used to leave me alone." I removed her hand. "Tonight is my wedding anniversary." I left the townhouse while calling the marina. The yacht did not respond to the radio, and its tracking signal had disappeared several minutes earlier. Victor called before I reached the car. "The Coast Guard contacted us," Victor said. I tightened my grip on the phone. "Where is Evelyn?" Silence followed. "The yacht caught fire offshore and struck the rocks. The rescue team found her phone and wedding ring, but they have not found her." "Keep searching." "The water is too cold, and the accident happened more than half an hour ago. The Coast Guard does not believe she could have survived." "I told you to keep searching." Victor's voice lowered. "Roman, Evelyn is dead." The phone slipped from my hand and landed in the snow. Celeste followed me outside and reached for me, but I pulled away and held the car door to keep myself upright. The yacht had left without me. Evelyn had called three times, and I had answered none of them.

Watch & Promotions

About this novel