
Theater: GoodNovel | Language: English
Synopsis
I was separated from my parents when I was young and grew up in foster care. I don't pick up on hints. I say what I mean.
At boarding school, an older girl shoved contraband tobacco into my drawer. "Keep it in here for now. They won't expel an underclassman."
I turned around, walked to the headmaster's office, and reported her.
Later, when I was working at a fast-food place, my shift lead handed me spoiled cheese. "Slip it into a burger before anyone notices. It won't kill them."
I shoved the cheese straight into his mouth. "If it won't kill anyone, why aren't you eating it?"
Then, when I was twenty, my birth parents brought me back to the Warren estate and later threw me a belated homecoming dinner.
At the dinner, Diana, their adopted daughter, ignored my place card and took the seat at the center of the long table.
She held her glass of champagne and looked at me innocently. "Sylvia, I'm so used to sitting between Mom and Dad. You don't mind, do you?"
Everyone waited for me to smile politely and sit somewhere else.
I asked her seriously, "Why would you think I'd mind? Because that's my seat?"
She bit her lip, and her eyes started to turn red.
I kept going. "So it is my seat.
"Then shouldn't you be getting up?"
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
I was separated from my parents when I was young and grew up in foster care. I don't pick up on hints. I say what I mean.
At boarding school, an older girl shoved contraband tobacco into my drawer. "Keep it in here for now. They won't expel an underclassman."
I turned around, walked to the headmaster's office, and reported her.
Later, when I was working at a fast-food place, my shift lead handed me spoiled cheese. "Slip it into a burger before anyone notices. It won't kill them."
I shoved the cheese straight into his mouth. "If it won't kill anyone, why aren't you eating it?"
Then, when I was twenty, my birth parents brought me back to the Warren estate and later threw me a belated homecoming dinner.
At the dinner, Diana, their adopted daughter, ignored my place card and took the seat at the center of the long table.
She held her glass of champagne and looked at me innocently. "Sylvia, I'm so used to sitting between Mom and Dad. You don't mind, do you?"
Everyone waited for me to smile politely and sit somewhere else.
I asked her seriously, "Why would you think I'd mind? Because that's my seat?"
She bit her lip, and her eyes started to turn red.
I kept going. "So it is my seat.
"Then shouldn't you be getting up?"
Chapter 1
The room went silent. The clink of a silver fork against a china plate carried across it. Relatives and friends lined both sides of the long table, their gazes sliding from Diana's face to the card in front of her.
It read Sylvia Warren.
Diana's fingers tightened around the stem of her glass. She looked down at the card, and her eyes turned red almost at once, as if I had humiliated her in front of everyone.
My mother, Evelyn, reached over first, put a hand on my wrist, and pressed down. Her ring dug into my wrist. She kept her voice low, but loud enough for the whole table to hear. "Sylvia, tonight is about you coming home. Don't make it awkward."
My father set down his glass and joined in. "It's a chair. One is as good as another."
I picked up my place card and set it beside the bronze family crest in the middle of the table.
"If one is the same as another, why is my name on the invitations? Why are there flower arrangements all over the estate tonight that say 'Welcome Home, Sylvia'? Why is my card sitting in front of this chair?"
My aunt, seated to my right, put down her fork and looked at my father.
"Alexander, Sylvia is right. At a formal homecoming dinner, you don't rearrange the seats of honor. Outsiders will take it to mean the Warren family hasn't decided whether to acknowledge her."
My mother's expression shifted.
Her gaze swept over the guests. A few of the distant relatives already had their heads together.
In the corner, the videographer held his camera, still aimed at the head table, unsure whether to keep rolling.
Diana stood up slowly, her chair legs dragging over the carpet with a dull scrape. "I'll move. She's the real daughter. I shouldn't have been sitting here in the first place."
She pressed a hand to her chest, and her voice shook. My mother immediately put one hand on her shoulder and held the other out toward me, as if afraid I might take another step. "Sweetheart, don't say that. Nobody is sending you anywhere."
Lucas, the youngest of my three brothers, got to his feet. He frowned at me, his fist clenched around his cuff. "Sylvia. Happy now?"
My hands closed into fists. I was too angry to get a word out.
She took my seat. She was the one in the wrong. And yet every question in the room was aimed at me.
Diana's breathing grew fast and shallow, and her fingers tightened around my mother's sleeve. She whispered, "Mom," before slumping sideways.
My mother went white and immediately helped her toward the sitting room. Lucas followed. Ethan, my oldest brother, followed. Noah, my middle brother, was a doctor. As he got up, he knocked a napkin off his chair. He didn't stop for it. He grabbed his coat and went after them.
My father stood up too.
My aunt lifted her cane and held it across his path. "If you walk out of here tonight, what the guests will remember isn't that Diana felt unwell. It's that you left your own daughter alone at her homecoming dinner."
My father's hand stayed on the back of the chair, his knuckles turning white. A second later, he stepped around her anyway and followed them into the sitting room.
I stood there and realized that maybe I wasn't their daughter at all.
Whenever Diana didn't feel well, the whole family went to take care of her. She had a nightmare, so Ethan walked out of a meeting halfway through and came home to sit with her until she fell asleep. Her chest felt tight, so my parents left me alone at Disney World and took her to a doctor. And if I held on to their sleeves and asked them not to go, I was the one being difficult...
Why did Diana always come before everything else in this house?
I was about to put my card back when I noticed a sheet of last-minute changes tucked under the seating chart.
Sylvia Warren had been crossed out in red pen and replaced with Sylvia Hart. Underneath, someone had added a note: Overflow seating, near the kitchen entrance.
That was the moment I understood that this family had never actually taken me in.
Chapter 10
Six months later, I bought my own place.
On my birthday, the doorbell rang. My parents, my three brothers, and Diana were standing outside. My father was holding flowers, and instead of walking right in like he used to, he asked, "May we come in?"
I stepped aside.
The table was small, and there weren't enough chairs. Lucas went to get more without being asked. Ethan hung up everyone's coats. Noah asked if he could put the cake in the fridge.
My mother stood beside the table without telling anyone where to sit. "Sylvia, where do you want to sit?"
That stopped me for a second.
It was an ordinary question, and yet it took me somewhere else for a moment. This was the first birthday I'd spent with all of them since they found me.
No concert. Nobody stationed outside somebody else's bedroom door. Nobody leaving in a hurry the second the candles were lit. I even caught myself glancing at the phone on the table. Nobody took a call, and nobody stood up.
It turns out that when everybody is actually at the table, a birthday can be this quiet.
I pulled out the chair by the window. "Here."
My mother nodded. "All right."
No one asked where Diana usually sat.
When the cake was cut, my mother started to pass the first slice to Diana out of habit, then stopped halfway. Diana noticed. She didn't wait for it to be placed in front of her the way she used to. She said quietly, "Sylvia first. It's her birthday."
My mother looked at me and held out the plate. "The first slice is yours."
I took it, and the three birthdays before this one came back to me. The concert tickets. The empty chairs. The dinner gone cold. The frosting that had melted by one in the morning.
I used to think the next birthday would be better. The next one had finally arrived.
They were all sitting here. No one told me to wait. No one pushed what mattered to me to the back of the line. They had finally remembered to ask where I wanted to sit. And yet I wasn't as happy as I'd imagined I would be.
I suppose that is what it looks like when someone makes it up to you too late.
You don't get it when you want it most. When they bring it to you later, no matter how carefully, all it proves is that they've finally understood why it hurt you back then.
I looked down and took a bite of the cake.
Still sweet. Just not the slice I was waiting for three years ago.
When I walked them out that night, Diana was the last to go.
"Do you still hold people accountable?"
"Yes."
"Isn't that exhausting?"
I looked at the name on my door.
Sylvia Hart.
"It used to be. Not anymore."
"Why?" Diana asked.
I put my hand on the door handle. "Because before, I had to keep asking questions to prove I'd been wronged. I don't have to anymore.
"I choose my own place."
Chapter 2
The homecoming dinner was over in less than an hour.
Back at the Warren estate, Diana was wrapped in a cashmere blanket on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate by her feet. My mother sat beside her, patting her back.
I had barely gotten through the door when Lucas looked up at me, his mouth twisting to one side.
"Apologize to Diana."
I took off my coat. "Apologize for what? Spell it out, or I might apologize for the wrong thing."
Ethan came out of the study with a dark blue velvet box.
"Let it go," he said, quickly pushing the box toward me as if he were wrapping up a meeting. "Tonight didn't go well. Take this. Call it compensation."
I opened it. Inside was a pearl necklace with a brand-new clasp and the tag still attached. Diana glanced over, and her hand went to her throat. She was wearing a rose-gold crest necklace, its pendant bearing the Warren beech leaf.
I had seen a photograph of that necklace.
Three years ago, the first time my parents came for me, my mother sat on the old couch at my foster family's house and held the photo out to me. She said it was the crest necklace my grandmother had left to the Warren daughter. My grandmother's will specified that it would go only to a daughter who had been formally acknowledged.
She also said she had been keeping it for me the whole time I was gone.
I closed the pearl box, and its corner knocked against the edge of the coffee table. "Why is the necklace my grandmother left me hanging around Diana's neck?"
My mother's hand stopped in midair. "Two years ago, Diana was very ill. She couldn't sleep, night after night. She had it in her head that once you came back, this family wouldn't need her. I was afraid of what it would do to her, so I brought the necklace out and let her wear it for a few days."
I looked at the pendant on Diana's neck. "By 'a few days,' you mean two years?"
My mother's face stiffened. "She got used to wearing it, and I never pushed the issue."
A log cracked in the fireplace.
Diana looked down and reached for the clasp. She tried it twice, but it wouldn't open. Her tears fell onto the pendant instead.
"I'll give it back to Sylvia."
My mother put a hand over hers at once, then turned to me. "Sylvia, if you like it that much, I'll buy you a better one."
Noah came down the stairs and stopped on the last step. He looked at the necklace on Diana's neck, then at the pearl box in front of me.
"Mom, Grandmother's will says that necklace isn't ordinary jewelry. If it has always belonged to Sylvia, somebody should at least have asked her."
My mother looked up at him, her eyes still red, and for once she didn't argue right away.
I looked at the pearl box on the coffee table. This wasn't the first time.
Every time my birthday came around, Diana had some new problem. She'd get teary over a concert she wanted to attend. She'd have a fight with a friend and hug a pillow, crying from noon until night. Her cat would suddenly start throwing up... and the whole family would gather around her.
Over and over, I told myself to wait a little longer. They just weren't used to me being their daughter yet.
But I was done giving them time.
I pushed the pearls back across to Ethan. "Let's call this what it is. Hush money. You want me to take it and stop thinking about Grandmother's necklace. Right?"
My father came in from outside, his suit still damp from the night air. He pulled off his gloves and tossed them to Mr. Pierce. "What is it this time?"
Lucas jumped in. "She's demanding Diana's necklace."
I looked at my father. "I'm not demanding anything. I'm finding out whether it's mine. If it is, why don't I have it? If it isn't, I don't want it."
My father pinched the bridge of his nose.
"We'll deal with the necklace later."
He took a stack of documents out of the envelope his lawyer had sent over and set them in front of me.
"Tomorrow, we're going to the county clerk's office to finalize your birth record, your name-change paperwork, and your registration as a beneficiary of the family trust. Sylvia, this is the paperwork that makes you a Warren.
"Your surname, your place in the line of inheritance, your status in the family fund. This confirms all of it."
I looked at the top of the page. This should have been done three years ago.
But every time it came up, something else got in the way. A trust restructuring. My mother traveling for work. Ethan busy taking over the group. And then Diana's treatment...
Eventually, I stopped asking when it would happen.
And now the appointment confirmation was sitting right in front of me. Tomorrow, nine o'clock.
My heart raced.
My mother took my hand and held it tight.
"Tomorrow, the whole family will be there. Sylvia, nothing is getting pushed back this time."
I took out my phone and started recording.
"Dad, Mom, Ethan, Noah, Lucas. All of you?"
My father tapped the arm of the couch once, hard. "All of us."
I looked at my three brothers.
Ethan and Noah nodded. Lucas pressed his lips together and didn't look happy about it, but he said, "Fine. I'll be there."
I stopped the recording. "Good."
Maybe after tomorrow, I would finally hear people call me Ms. Warren.
Maybe we could finally schedule the family portrait we'd been putting off for three years.
Maybe a lot of things would actually be different.
Chapter 3
At nine the next morning, we were at the county clerk's office. The clerk checked my ID, my DNA test results, and the court authorization, then told us we were missing a joint confirmation from the trustees of the family trust.
The driver went out into the rain to fetch it while we sat in the waiting area.
The number on the screen ticked up one at a time, and the cold white light made everybody look terrible.
Twenty minutes in, Diana's phone went off. She took one look at the screen and knocked over her cup.
My mother's hand was on her shoulder at once. "What is it?"
Diana handed over the phone. On the screen was a photo from Pierce. A few workers were carrying things out of her room. A pink suitcase sat in the middle of the hallway, and a clothes rack lay on its side.
"I only had them move Diana into another room," my father said, frowning. "Sylvia should be moving back into her own room."
Diana looked down, her lashes trembling.
"It's fine. If my things get thrown out, they get thrown out."
My mother grabbed her bag and stood up. The strap slid off the back of the chair and hit the tile. "Who said anything about throwing out your things?"
Lucas got up with her.
I stayed in my chair, not quite following. "You're leaving? Now?"
Diana screamed. She doubled over with both hands pressed to her chest, gasping for air.
The paper cup rolled onto the floor, and water spread across the tile, reflecting her pale face.
Noah was across the room in a second, crouching to check her pulse. Ethan steadied my mother. Lucas went for the car. My father took a call from the office and walked to the window, keeping his voice down.
In under two minutes they were gone with her.
On his way out, Noah pressed the number ticket into my hand. "I'll come back as soon as I'm done."
I looked at him. "How long?"
He hesitated. "I'll be back as soon as I can."
The elevator doors closed.
I stayed where I was and watched the number above the doors drop floor by floor. A minute ago, my family had filled an entire row of chairs. Now it was just me and a thick envelope.
I looked down at the ticket, creased where Noah had gripped it, and the whole scene struck me as familiar and ridiculous.
Every plan for a family portrait ended this way. So did my birthdays. Every time, somebody turned back to tell me "soon," or "right away," or "I'll come back as soon as I'm done."
And I always stayed put, putting the candles away, moving the dinner reservation, and swallowing whatever I had been about to say.
But today was different.
This was the registration they had been promising me for three years.
The clerk had my file in her hands. She asked quietly, "Ms. Warren, do you still want to go ahead?"
I put the ticket in my bag, pulled out a different form, and pushed it across to her.
"If I wanted to withdraw my registration as a beneficiary of the Warren family trust, keep the name I have, and stay at my own address, what would I need to do?"
She looked at the empty seats behind me, then down at her watch.
She handed me a black pen. "If you're filing it yourself, we can process it in fifteen minutes."
I took the pen.
So it turned out that I didn't need anyone's approval to stay out of the Warren family, either.
At two in the afternoon, I had the withdrawal receipt in my hand, still warm off the printer.
I had just stepped out of the office when my phone buzzed in my palm.
It was Mr. Pierce. "Ms. Hart, Mrs. Warren says Diana is too unsettled, so the room change is on hold. Guest Room Three will stay as it is."
I stood under the awning and looked at those three words. Guest Room Three.
Three years ago, when I dragged my suitcase into the Warren estate, Pierce had called it Guest Room Three. They hadn't forgotten to change the name. They had simply never thought of it as my room.
I folded the withdrawal receipt and put it in my bag.
Guest Room Three could stay exactly as it was. I wasn't planning to move back into it anyway.
- Search this code in the GoodNovel app:
R39139 Open GoodNovel → Search code → Find the title