ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

The Day the Underboss Lost His Bride

NovelShort · English · Theater: NovelShort, Lang: English, Genre: Hot, Genre: SecondChance, Genre: Billionaire, Genre: Mafia, Genre: Betrayal ·

The Day the Underboss Lost His Bride

Theater: NovelShort  |  Language: English  |  NEW

Synopsis

On the day of the wedding rehearsal, I arrived at the Romano family's private estate only to find my fiancé, Matteo Romano, the future Underboss of the Romano Crime Syndicate, arguing with my best friend, Luciana Costa, about the carpet that would be laid down the aisle during the wedding ceremony.
Luciana chased after him through the grand hall and smacked his arm several times before he finally raised both hands in surrender.
"Fine, fine. Dark gray it is. Whatever you want. Happy now?"
Matteo's indulgent tone made several nearby capos and Romano family staff exchange amused looks.
"The Underboss and his bride really are close," one of them whispered with a grin.
Matteo didn't correct them. Luciana only bit her lip, the tips of her ears turning red as she stood beside him.
No one noticed me when I entered.
It wasn't until one of the staff members happened to glance toward the doorway that his expression changed. He quickly lowered his head and said, "Forgive us. You've mistaken them. This is the bride."

Chapters (5)

Chapter 1   Chapter 2   Chapter 3   Chapter 4   Chapter 5

Chapter 1

(Valeria’s POV) On the day of the wedding rehearsal, I arrived at the Romano family's private estate only to find my fiancé, Matteo Romano, the future Underboss of the Romano Crime Syndicate, arguing with my best friend, Luciana Costa, about the carpet that would be laid down the aisle during the wedding ceremony. Luciana chased after him through the grand hall and smacked his arm several times before he finally raised both hands in surrender. "Fine, fine. Dark gray it is. Whatever you want. Happy now?" Matteo's indulgent tone made several nearby capos and Romano family staff exchange amused looks. "The Underboss and his bride really are close," one of them whispered with a grin. Matteo didn't correct them. Luciana only bit her lip, the tips of her ears turning red as she stood beside him. No one noticed me when I entered. It wasn't until one of the staff members happened to glance toward the doorway that his expression changed. He quickly lowered his head and said, "Forgive us. You've mistaken them. This is the bride." Luciana immediately turned around. The moment she saw me, she hurried over and linked her arm through mine. "Valeria, do something about your future husband. He's been giving me a hard time all morning." She pouted. "I'm your best friend. How could I not know what color I like? But he still wanted to argue with me." Matteo walked over leisurely. "Who's giving who a hard time? You've been hitting me for the last hour." "Because you deserved it." I stood quietly nearby, watching Matteo and Luciana argue back and forth as if I wasn't there. A strange numbness settled over me because this wasn't anything new. Even back in the academy, they had always been like this, teasing each other, making decisions together, and somehow deciding everything that concerned me without ever asking what I wanted. The Romano family might have been preparing this wedding under the eyes of capos, family elders, and their most trusted men, but this was supposed to be my wedding too. But no one had even thought to ask whether I liked the dark gray carpet. If my opinion didn't matter in the smallest details of my own wedding, perhaps my presence as the bride didn't matter to them either. *** While they continued bickering, Matteo noticed the bouquet prepared for the ceremony. His brows immediately furrowed. "Replace those flowers." He let out a soft laugh before glancing at Luciana. "I clearly remember someone saying she hated pure white flowers at weddings. Said they looked like..." "A funeral." Luciana stuck out her tongue playfully. "Valeria, you're not upset, right? I only mentioned it once. Who would've thought your man would remember something so small? I forgot I ever said it." The Romano family servant holding the bouquet glanced at me nervously before lowering his head. I followed his gaze to the flowers in his hands and immediately recognized the white bellflowers. They had always been my favorite. Matteo once promised that they would be the only flowers decorating our wedding, a small promise I had treasured for years. Now, seeing them in someone else's hands, I could only wonder if he had forgotten that promise or simply stopped caring about it. "Replace them." Even if I protested, nobody would listen. Luciana and Matteo continued going over every detail of the wedding, from the table settings and chair decorations to the Romano family crest banners hanging throughout the reception hall. Even the colors chosen for the celebration were changed to match Luciana's taste, as though her preferences mattered more than those of the woman who was supposed to stand beside Matteo at the altar. The wedding planner finally approached me quietly. "Signorina D’Angelo, those were all choices you personally approved before. You spent months arranging them." "It's fine." I smiled faintly. "Let them change whatever they want." After all, I no longer planned to attend this wedding. Soon after, Luciana wanted to try on my wedding dress, and Matteo had no problem with it. He simply said, "Luciana knows what kind of formal gowns suit the Romano family. If she sees anything wrong, she can give some advice. There's nothing wrong with that." I watched Luciana hurry into the dressing room with my wedding dress. The bitterness in my heart finally reached my voice. "If her opinion matters that much, maybe she should take my place for the whole rehearsal. She can check the ceremony herself and make sure everything is perfect." Matteo looked at me in surprise. I met his eyes without saying anything else. His brows slowly tightened, and he looked like he wanted to explain himself, but the words seemed to get stuck. But before he could, the dressing-room door opened. Luciana stepped out wearing the gown. She spun once before smiling brightly at Matteo. "Well? How do I look?" Matteo's gaze quickly moved from me to Luciana. The look in his eyes made my chest tighten. It hurt far more than I wanted to admit. “It looks beautiful,” he said. The dress had been tailored specifically for me, so it naturally did not fit Luciana properly. But Matteo seemed to forget that, or simply did not care. When Luciana suggested changing the waist and adjusting the size, he agreed without hesitation. Only after they finished discussing alterations did Luciana glance at me through the mirror. "Valeria, don't be upset. I'm only trying to help. If you look beautiful on your wedding day, it makes me look good too." Matteo finally looked at me again. "Just follow Luciana's suggestions. She's a fashionista." He smiled casually. "She has much better taste than you." I said nothing, and Matteo took my silence as agreement before turning back to Luciana. I watched them stand side by side with their backs toward me, as if I were no longer part of the conversation. I quietly looked away. If the wedding dress could be changed to fit her, then perhaps they could replace the bride as well. Without saying another word, I turned and walked out of the Romano estate. Before leaving, I took only the bouquet of white bellflowers. After getting into my car, I carefully placed the white bellflowers on the passenger seat and sat there for a long moment, lost in memories. Matteo had proposed to me with white bellflowers, and when I first confessed my feelings for him, I had brought him the same flowers. They had always meant so much to me. Maybe they had never meant anything to him. When I returned to the Romano estate and turned on the lights, the first thing I saw was our engagement portrait leaning against the wall. I stood between Matteo and Luciana, with her smiling brightly as she held my arm while Matteo rested a hand on my shoulder. But his eyes were not on me. They were fixed on Luciana. Back then, Luciana had insisted on joining our engagement photos and argued with Matteo until he agreed. In the end, the portrait became a photo of all three of us. How had I failed to see it? Perhaps I had seen it, but I just never wanted to admit it. My phone suddenly rang. Matteo's name appeared on the screen. I answered. But it wasn't Matteo speaking. It was Luciana. "Valeria? Why did you leave? We've been looking for you everywhere." I leaned against the couch. "I wasn't feeling well, so I came home." Matteo's voice sounded in the background. "See? I told you she's fine. She's probably exhausted from work again." Then Luciana spoke again, "Get some rest. Matteo's taking me home first. I spent all day helping with your wedding, and my back is killing me." Matteo laughed. "I'll drive you home and give you a massage too. I learned a new technique." Their playful laughter continued for a few seconds before the call ended. I stared at my phone, unable to move, and that night, sleep never came. While scrolling through social media, I saw Luciana’s latest post. The first photo showed her sitting beside Matteo with glasses of expensive whiskey on the table. The second showed a man’s hand resting over another hand, and the ring on that hand was unmistakably my wedding ring. The caption had only three words: Fits perfectly now. I stared at the screen. Matteo hated alcohol. Years ago, a single drink was enough to make him sick. But when Luciana went through her first breakup, he spent an entire night drinking with her until he ended up in the hospital. The funny part was that I was supposed to be Luciana's best friend. But I learned about her breakup from someone else. And I only discovered Matteo had spent the night comforting her after receiving a call from the hospital. Since then, whenever Luciana invited him out for drinks, he never refused. I pressed the like button, then refreshed the page. The post was already gone. A moment later, a message from Matteo appeared. [Still awake?] I stared at it but didn't reply. A sharp ache burned behind my eyes, but my heart remained strangely calm. Maybe I had finally become numb. I picked up my phone and dialed another number. "Professor, some time ago you asked if I wanted to join your overseas business management program. Is there still a place available?" The man laughed with obvious relief. "There is. I've been saving one for you. If you come, I'll have everything prepared within a few days." After ending the call, I contacted the wedding planner. "Sorry for calling this late." There was a brief pause. Then I spoke calmly, "I need to change the name of the bride on the wedding documents." The planner sounded confused. "Change it to who?" I looked down at the bouquet of white bellflowers resting beside me. "Change it to Luciana Costa."

Chapter 2

(Valeria’s POV) "Are you sure, Signorina? Changing the bride's name this close to the ceremony..." the family event coordinator said carefully. "I've organized weddings for some of the most powerful mafia families in the country, but I've never handled anything like this." "I'm sure." There wasn't a moment of hesitation in my voice. "Everything else stays exactly the same. The guest list, the schedule, the Romano estate, the ceremony. Just replace the bride's name with Luciana Costa." The woman fell silent. A few seconds later, she finally agreed. Before ending the call, I added one final instruction. "Don't tell Matteo or Luciana. Not until the wedding day." The next morning, I walked into the Romano Family's corporate headquarters and submitted my resignation from my position. My departure abroad was already decided. There was no reason to stay. I had barely left the office when my phone vibrated. A message from Matteo appeared. [I'm outside.] I stared at the screen for a moment before heading downstairs. Matteo was waiting beside his black luxury car, and when he saw me, he walked over with a paper bag in his hand. The faint smell of alcohol still clung to him, making my stomach turn. I didn't take the bag. I already knew what was inside: warm ginger tea, painkillers, and heat patches. Every month, around the same time, Matteo prepared them without fail. To anyone else, he might have looked like the perfect fiancé. But I knew the truth. None of those things were meant for me. Sure enough, Matteo spoke, "Luciana drank too much whiskey with the capos last night. Her cycle should be starting today, so she'll probably feel awful." He held the bag toward me. "Can you bring this to her? You two work on the same floor anyway. It'll save me the trip." I remained silent. Matteo reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a half-empty packet of painkillers. "I figured your cycle is coming soon too." He casually handed it over. "You left these in my car." Then he nodded toward the building. "Go on. Luciana's waiting." I lowered my eyes to the large paper bag and the nearly empty packet of medicine inside. The sight felt almost ridiculous. The painkillers were mine. I had bought them myself last month after cramps so painful that I could barely stand. Meanwhile, Luciana had been sitting comfortably in Matteo's office, drinking the hot tea he personally prepared while receiving a massage technique he had spent weeks learning just for her. As for me? When I nearly collapsed from the pain, all Matteo had said was, "Drink more warm water." Why hadn't I been angry before? Perhaps I had been. I had simply grown used to swallowing every disappointment, breaking it apart, hiding it away, and pretending it never hurt. But this time, I didn't want to do that anymore. I took a step back and met his eyes. Mine were cold and calm. "From now on, if you want to send something to Luciana, contact her yourself. I have work to do." Matteo looked genuinely surprised. Perhaps he wasn't used to me speaking to him like that. By the time he recovered, I had already walked away without looking back. *** When I returned to the office, the paper bag had somehow arrived upstairs before I did. Luciana was already opening it at her desk. Several coworkers quickly gathered around her, eyeing the gift with amused smiles. “Another gift from your man?” “Seriously, every month without fail. You’re living the dream, Luciana.” Luciana immediately waved her hands, her face turning red. “No, no. He’s not my boyfriend.” She glanced at me, and when I showed no reaction, she quickly added, “He’s just... a really close friend.” I didn't bother looking up. Instead, I continued working on project documents on my computer. A few moments later, Luciana leaned over my desk. "Valeria, want to go out tonight?" I kept typing. She smiled. "In a few days, you'll officially become the wife of the Romano Underboss. We should celebrate while you're still single." I was about to refuse. But before I could speak, Luciana suddenly clapped her hands. "Tonight's on me!" She looked around the office. "Bachelorette party for Valeria! Anyone who wants to come, raise your hand!" The room instantly exploded with excitement. Several people volunteered immediately. With everyone already making plans, there was no space left for me to refuse. After the guest list was settled, Luciana leaned toward me again. This time her voice became much softer. "Valeria, can you add my name to the new syndicate development project?" My fingers paused above the keyboard. Luciana continued speaking sweetly. "I'm throwing you a party and everything." She smiled. "I'm only one successful project away from earning my promotion. You're my best friend, so you'll help me, right?" I stared at her quietly. This wasn't the first time Luciana had done this. For years, every major Romano family operation followed the same pattern. She was never there when negotiations with other families became difficult, when capos had problems to settle, or when we had to work late at the Romano headquarters. She never joined the important meetings or helped deal with problems. But once an operation was finished and the Romano family was ready to enjoy the results, Luciana would appear and ask me to add her name to the report. I had agreed every time. She always received the praise, rewards, and recognition while doing almost none of the work. But this time was different. I wasn't willing to be generous anymore. I slowly looked at her. My face remained expressionless. "There's only one available position left. Are you sure you want it?" Luciana laughed. Completely carefree. "Of course I do." She grinned. "You're the best, Valeria." I nodded and added her name to the Romano family’s project roster. Right beneath the title, I entered: Deputy Project Leader. Luciana didn't even bother to check the details. She had already turned away and started chatting with the other associates. I simply watched her. After all, she had accepted the position herself. Once I left the Romano organization, the final operation briefing and report to the syndicate’s senior capos would fall entirely on the Deputy Project Leader. I couldn't help wondering how someone who had never attended a single meeting would explain the entire operation to a room filled with Romano executives, senior capos, and family leaders.

Chapter 3

After work, several coworkers from the Romano family’s business division pulled Luciana and me into a car and took us to a private bar reserved for younger members of the allied syndicates. I had barely been seated for five minutes when Matteo arrived. The moment he stepped inside, several Romano soldiers and young associates rose from their seats and greeted him with respectful nods. “Good evening, Underboss.” Matteo gave them a brief nod before walking straight through the crowd toward Luciana. His brows were drawn together as he took the mojito from her hand. "Have you forgotten what day it is? Why are you drinking?" Luciana reached for the glass. "That's none of your concern. Give it back." "I'm not giving it back." Matteo raised the glass out of her reach and ordered the bartender, "Bring her a glass of warm milk." With his other hand, he pressed Luciana back into her seat. His voice sounded strict, but the worry in his eyes was impossible to hide. "If your cramps get so bad tomorrow that you can't even get out of bed, don't come crying to me." The people around us exchanged awkward looks. One of the women leaned toward another employee and whispered, "Is that Luciana's boyfriend? He's incredibly handsome." The other woman froze. "That's impossible. Isn't he Valeria's fiancé, the Romano family's Underboss?" The entire table suddenly went silent. Several people looked from Matteo to me. I lowered my eyes to the glass of lemon water in my hand. For some reason, the scene felt painfully familiar. Over the years, at countless dinners and family gatherings, Matteo had always peeled shrimp for Luciana, served food onto her plate, and made sure her glass was never empty. Because of the way they treated each other, even people from both mafia families often assumed they were a couple. At first, Matteo and Luciana would explain the truth. But after hearing the same question too many times, they eventually stopped correcting anyone. Matteo's only answer had been, "If outsiders misunderstand our relationship, that's their problem. As long as you know what we are to each other, that's enough." Only then did Matteo notice me. His expression changed. Instead of asking whether I was all right, he frowned at me. "Valeria, why didn't you stop her?" His tone carried clear blame. "You know she shouldn't be drinking around this time, but you just let her do whatever she wanted." A strange heat rose in my chest. I hadn't expected to be blamed for something that wasn't my fault. Before I could answer, Luciana quickly spoke up, "Why are you blaming Valeria? I'm the one who insisted on coming." She looked at him unhappily. "She's going to marry you soon. Is this really how you're going to treat her?" Matteo fell silent, a trace of guilt crossing his face. He sighed and stepped closer, reaching an arm toward my shoulders. “Valeria, I didn’t mean to accuse you. I just lose my temper when I’m worried about someone. Don’t take it personally.” I stepped away before he could touch me, leaving his hand hanging in the air. Then I looked at him calmly. “Sit down. You’re already here.” Matteo sat beside me, but it didn’t take long for his attention to drift back to Luciana. The way he looked at her was so natural and open that I felt like an outsider at my own table. My presence seemed to be the only thing separating two people who looked far more like lovers than friends. Halfway through the party, a waiter approached Matteo and Luciana with a smile. "You two are together, aren't you? Our bar has a special offer for members of the Five Families. The couple who shares the longest kiss tonight will receive a custom pair of diamond rings." He gestured toward the stage. "Would the two of you like to participate?" Matteo immediately raised a hand as if he wanted to refuse. Then he noticed the faint hope in Luciana's eyes. Matteo hesitated, and for several long seconds neither he nor Luciana moved. Then, under the cheers and encouragement of the crowd, he finally rose to his feet and took her hand, leading her toward the center of the stage. The spotlight followed them as Luciana slowly lifted herself onto her toes and pressed a kiss to his lips. Matteo's body tensed for the briefest moment, but instead of stepping back, he closed his eyes and returned the kiss, pulling her closer as the moment stretched before the entire room. I remained seated in the booth, watching everything unfold. The whispers around me grew louder with every passing second, and I could feel curious and sympathetic gazes turning my way. Strangely, none of it reached me anymore. The embarrassment was gone. The jealousy was gone. Even the pain had faded. Perhaps my heart had been wounded too many times, until there was simply nothing left to break. A burst of applause swept through the room as though they had just won some great victory. Smiling, a waiter stepped forward and presented a black velvet box containing a pair of diamond rings. Luciana finally drew back from the kiss, her cheeks flushed with color, while Matteo stood beside her beneath the bright lights. She hurried back toward me and opened the box. "Valeria!" She took out the men's ring and placed it in my hand. "This one is for you. Don't be angry, okay? I only wanted the matching pair. I didn't mean anything by it." I looked down at the ring. The band was far too wide for my finger, and I could barely hold it properly. "It's too big for me." I handed it back to Luciana. "Give it to someone who can actually wear it." Her eyes immediately shifted toward Matteo. Without hesitation, she tossed the ring to him. "Lucky you." Matteo caught it easily and let out a short laugh before returning to the booth. He sat down beside me as if nothing unusual had happened. "My future wife has always been easygoing. She's understanding and never makes trouble over small things." He glanced toward Luciana. "She's not like you, always making a fuss over every little thing." The familiar scent of Matteo's cologne reached me. This time, it only made my stomach turn. But I didn't care anymore. After all, twenty years of friendship and ten years of love that had survived distance had finally come to an end today. And this time, I was the one who chose to let it end.

Chapter 4

(Valeria’s POV) The party ended soon after. Matteo went down to the underground garage to bring around his car, while Luciana and I waited near the private entrance of the club. We had barely reached the front doors when Luciana suddenly patted her coat. "My phone is missing. Valeria, could you go back and look for it? I'll check around here. Maybe I dropped it somewhere." I nodded and returned to the private room. I searched under the tables, around the seats, and even asked one of the club's guards to check the room, but Luciana's phone was nowhere to be found. When I returned to the entrance, I walked straight into chaos. Matteo had one of the club's men by the collar while two security guards held the man back by his arms, trying to stop the fight. Blood ran from the corner of the man's mouth. He spat onto the floor, cursed under his breath, and stumbled away when the guards finally released him. Behind Matteo, Luciana stood trembling, tears streaming down her face. Her eyes were swollen and red, making it clear she had been crying for some time. The moment Matteo saw me, he shoved the guards aside and strode toward me. His hand closed tightly around my wrist before I could take a step back. "Valeria, did you leave her here alone on purpose?" His voice was cold and angry. "Do you have any idea what could have happened to her? This is a Romano-controlled club. Anyone who wants to challenge our family could have used this chance. If I hadn't heard the trouble and rushed over, Luciana could have..." He stopped, but his anger was clear. I frowned. After everything I had endured that night, his accusation was the final thing I could tolerate. "She told me she'd left her phone in the private room, so I went back to look for it. How is that my fault?" Matteo's expression hardened. His eyes narrowed. "Her phone was in her hand the entire time. When did she ever leave it in that room?" He looked at me as if I were someone who had betrayed the Romano family. "If you're going to make excuses, at least come up with one that makes sense." I froze. I almost couldn't even speak. Then everything suddenly became clear. Luciana slowly stepped forward and grabbed Matteo's arm. Her voice was weak and tearful. "Matteo, why are you yelling at her? Who gave you the right to speak to her like that?" Then she turned toward me, tears gathering in her eyes. "Valeria didn't do it on purpose. I'm sure of that. I was the one who wandered away from her, so it's my fault that I ended up alone." I stared at her, a tightness forming in my chest. Twenty years… We had known each other for twenty years. We had grown up together, shared our secrets, and called each other sisters. But now, she was using such a cheap trick against me. In that moment, twenty years of friendship suddenly felt worthless. I let out a quiet, bitter laugh and looked at both of them. "I already explained it. She asked me to go back for her phone, so I did." I pulled my wrist free from Matteo's hand. "Believe me or don't. I don't care anymore." Matteo's face became even colder. "Valeria, you've disappointed me." He paused before continuing. "If you're angry because of what happened earlier tonight, you don't need to take it out on Luciana. And after everything, she still considers you her best friend." Matteo slipped an arm around Luciana's shoulders and guided her toward the waiting car. One of the Romano guards immediately opened the door for them, and they got inside without looking back. I stayed where I was, watching the black car pull away from the club and disappear into the night. Only after it was gone did the pain finally return. My eyes burned, and I took a deep breath, forcing the tears back. Crying over those two was no longer worth it.

Chapter 5

(Valeria’s POV) Matteo stayed at the Romano family's private hospital with Luciana for three days. During those three days, he never called me. Not once. Not even a single message. I welcomed the silence. While Matteo remained at the hospital, I spent my days packing my belongings and my nights finishing the paperwork to resign from my position within the Romano family's organization. Three days were more than enough to remove my name from the files, clear out my office, and cut every remaining tie I had to the Romano organization. By the time Matteo finally returned to the Romano estate, there would be nothing left of me there. On the day Luciana was discharged, Matteo returned home alone. He walked through the door just as I pulled the zipper across my final suitcase. His eyes moved from me to the luggage beside my feet, and for some reason, his chest tightened. "Where are you planning to go?" My expression remained calm. "There are too many old things here. I'm only clearing them out." Matteo nodded and didn't question me further. Then, as if he'd suddenly thought of something, he said, "Actually, this is good timing. Luciana has been badly shaken since what happened at the club. With the trouble between the families lately, I don't think she should stay alone." He paused. "Let her stay here for a while. You can move out first. Seeing you still reminds her of that night, and I don't want her frightened again." He said it so naturally, as if asking his fiancée to leave the Romano family's home so another woman could move in was the most reasonable thing in the world. "Fine." I agreed without hesitation. Having a few quiet days to myself before leaving the city was actually a relief. Matteo froze. He clearly hadn't expected me to agree so easily. He looked as though he wanted to say something else. Perhaps he had rehearsed those words many times in his head. But in the end, the only thing that came out was, "The wedding is in three days. I'll come and get you when it's time." I didn't answer. I simply pulled my suitcase out of the Romano family's home. For the next three days, Matteo and Luciana lived comfortably in the house that had been prepared for our marriage. At least, that was what Luciana's social media posts showed. They made it obvious how much Matteo cared about her. When Luciana woke from nightmares, Matteo stayed beside her until she fell asleep again. When she suddenly craved a small cake from a bakery several miles away, he drove through the night to get it for her. None of those things had Matteo ever done for me, not even during the years when we were supposedly falling in love. On the final day, Luciana uploaded a post without a photo. Only one sentence appeared. "These peaceful days are coming to an end. It's a little sad to leave them behind." Matteo replied beneath it. "Whenever you want to stay, just come over." Then he added: "There will always be a place for you in the home Valeria and I built for our marriage." I stared at those words. Instead of feeling hurt, I felt relieved. I was lucky that I had finally decided to cut myself free from both of these twisted relationships before the wedding. At least I would never have to become the unwanted third person in my own marriage. Three days later, on the morning of the wedding, Matteo sent me a message. [I've already brought Luciana to the venue.] Another message followed. [She wants to walk down the aisle with you and personally hand you over to me. I think it would be meaningful, so just treat it as another part of the ceremony.] Then came another. [Come a little later. The makeup artist and stylist are getting Luciana ready now.] I didn't reply. Matteo seemed to have completely forgotten how absurd his request was. He had forgotten who the bride was supposed to be in the first place. The wedding didn't need two brides. Luciana was already at the venue, so there was no reason for me to go. I blocked Matteo's number, picked up my luggage, and took a taxi to the airport. Just before boarding my flight, I called the wedding planner one last time. "I won't be attending the wedding today, but I've already sent a wedding gift to the venue. Please make sure it reaches them." I paused before adding calmly, "And please wish Matteo and Luciana a long and happy marriage from me."

Watch & Promotions

About this novel