ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

Eighteen Years as Their Punchline Ends Here

GoodNovel · English · Theater: GoodNovel, Lang: English ·

Eighteen Years as Their Punchline Ends Here

Theater: GoodNovel  |  Language: English

Synopsis

On the first day of school, I arrive alone to register, clutching my admission letter. But the security guard at the entrance chases me away.

I angrily call my best friend, but he simply laughs on the phone. "Wyatt, you literally have glasses, and you can't tell? The admission letter you took was just a fake I made. The real one is still at your house."

I immediately buy a ticket home and rush back, sweating anxiously as I search everywhere for it. But after looking for ages, I still can't find it.

Then, my phone rings, and I hear Shane's carefree voice. "Wyatt, stop looking. I had Wendy bring your admission letter to you. She's in Linton."

I immediately take the high-speed train to Linton. But just as I leave the station, I get a video call from Shane. "You idiot, you actually went looking for Wendy? I was just messing with you. Actually, the security guard didn't kick you out because your admission letter was fake. It was because I told them you were carrying explosives."

As he speaks, he turns the camera toward Wendy Zahn, my childhood friend, who is fanning him. And behind her is my younger sister, who is supposed to be on vacation overseas. "Wyatt, why the long face? Can't you take a joke?" she says with a laugh.

I stand there, completely stunned. So, my sister has used her vacation as an excuse just to accompany Shane to school. As I look at the smiling faces on the screen, I suddenly feel exhausted. They have played this game at my expense for 18 years. It's time to end it.

Chapters (1)

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

On the first day of school, I arrive alone to register, clutching my admission letter. But the security guard at the entrance chases me away. I angrily call my best friend, but he simply laughs on the phone. "Wyatt, you literally have glasses, and you can't tell? The admission letter you took was just a fake I made. The real one is still at your house." I immediately buy a ticket home and rush back, sweating anxiously as I search everywhere for it. But after looking for ages, I still can't find it. Then, my phone rings, and I hear Shane's carefree voice. "Wyatt, stop looking. I had Wendy bring your admission letter to you. She's in Linton." I immediately take the high-speed train to Linton. But just as I leave the station, I get a video call from Shane. "You idiot, you actually went looking for Wendy? I was just messing with you. Actually, the security guard didn't kick you out because your admission letter was fake. It was because I told them you were carrying explosives." As he speaks, he turns the camera toward Wendy Zahn, my childhood friend, who is fanning him. And behind her is my younger sister, who is supposed to be on vacation overseas. "Wyatt, why the long face? Can't you take a joke?" she says with a laugh. I stand there, completely stunned. So, my sister has used her vacation as an excuse just to accompany Shane to school. As I look at the smiling faces on the screen, I suddenly feel exhausted. They have played this game at my expense for 18 years. It's time to end it. Chapter 1 Wyatt's POV When I arrived at the entrance of Northvale University once again, dragging heavy luggage bags all by myself, my sister, Shelly Yates, and my childhood friend, Wendy Zahn, were already doubled over with laughter. My best friend, Shane Sanders, tossed me a tissue to wipe off my sweat. He said, "Wyatt, how did someone as stupid as you get into Northvale University?" I clenched my fists. I glanced down at the shoe I had lost in my haste, nervously rubbing my hands together. My eyes were filled with hurt and anger. "Shane, this isn't funny at all." After all that back-and-forth, I was left with only 200 dollars out of my 1,500-dollar allowance. How was I supposed to survive the remaining 29 days? "I didn't mean to do anything." Shane looked at me for a few seconds, then shrank back. He looked even more wronged than I did. Wendy walked over and planted herself in front of him, hands on her hips. "Wyatt, today is supposed to be a happy day. Don't make a big deal out of it." I looked at Shelly unhappily, hoping she would at least speak up for me. But she just frowned and lectured me, "Wyatt, don't be such a spoilsport. If you keep taking things so seriously, you won't be popular with girls at school." "Alright," Shane said, throwing an arm around my shoulders and pulling me toward the school. "I didn't mean anything by it. You're overthinking things. I have no intention of stealing your sister because she's already my sister." When I heard his words, I paused in my tracks. "W-What do you mean by that?" He leaned in close to my ear and whispered mysteriously, "Your parents picked you up off the street. I'm the real son here. Why else would they treat me better than you?" My mind went blank. Then I remembered how, when we were kids, Shane and Wendy got the good food while I was left with the scraps. During Thanksgiving, they would each receive 500 dollars in gift money, while I would only get 50 dollars. Seeing my stunned expression, Shane gave me a smug smile and slapped me hard on the back. "You idiot, you fell for it again!" Shelly burst out laughing. Wendy also smiled helplessly and gently patted my cheek. "Look at that foolishness. You only got into Northvale because you were lucky. If you had to take the SAT again, you'd probably end up at a vocational college." I couldn't take it anymore and glared at Wendy. She had been my deskmate throughout high school and knew better than anyone how hard I had worked. I woke up at 5:00 am every morning and studied until morning. I went through 167 pens and filled 16 notebooks with nothing but scratch work. And yet, she was claiming I only got into a top-tier university because I was lucky. "I've never liked pranks, not since I was a kid. Please don't do this anymore." I mustered the courage to say the words I had kept buried for so long. However, after a brief silence, I heard a burst of sharp laughter all around me. Chapter 2 Wyatt's POV Wendy couldn't hold her laughter in anymore. She doubled over laughing, clutching her waist. "You don't like it? But back when you were little, you were always the one laughing the hardest." I clenched my fists. Years of pent-up hurt came pouring out all at once. When I was little, I was afraid of being left out. So, no matter how much they teased or pranked me, I would still trail after them, grinning like an idiot. When I was eight, they tricked me into going up the mountain to look for herbs to cure Mom's cold. But while I wasn't paying attention, they snuck down the mountain and used the pocket money in my bag to buy candy and toys. By the time the police found me, I had spent the entire night on the mountain, cold, hungry, and barely clinging to life. Yet, the first thing I did when I opened my eyes was smile at them. "I-It was fun. But next time, could you please not leave me behind?" Memories came flooding back. My eyes welled up with tears, but Wendy and Shane only laughed even harder. Only Shelly sounded a bit impatient. "You're a grown man. Can't you take a joke? Everyone else is having fun, but you're the only one sitting there with a long face, as if someone wronged you." Just then, Dad, who was supposed to be away on a business trip, suddenly showed up in his car. "Get in. Since it's your first day, I'll show you around town." I pointed to my heavy luggage. "But Dad, I haven't put my things away yet." He frowned. "I didn't say you were coming with me. There isn't enough room for three people in the back of the Bentley. You'll have to sacrifice yourself." His words stunned me for a moment. "Just kidding!" Dad adjusted his sunglasses and said, "You're my son. How could I possibly leave you behind? Just leave your luggage with the guard for now. Hurry up!" I hurriedly dragged my luggage into the security booth, barely able to move. Even when my knee knocked against the corner of the desk, I was too rushed to feel the pain. Just this once. If this wasn't another prank, and Mom and Dad genuinely wanted to take me out with them, I would forgive them. But when I returned, they were nowhere to be seen at the entrance. Shane then sent me a message. "Haha, you fell for it again! This wasn't my idea. It was Wendy's. She said you're simple-minded. You'd just do whatever you were told. Turns out she was right!" Then, he sent me a video. In the video, he had his arms around my parents, while Wendy was near him. Shelly was being the responsible adult, carrying everyone's bags and buying ice cream. That shop was supposed to be the secret place Shelly and I shared. "Good for you." After replying to his message with the words I had always used to placate him, I walked straight to the admissions office. "Hello, I'd like to withdraw from this university," I said. The teacher across from me looked up in surprise and adjusted her glasses, as if she hadn't heard me clearly. "What?" I repeated, "Miss, I'd like to withdraw from the university." Before even entering the admissions office, I had already opened my email and accepted the full-scholarship offer Haldin University had sent me two weeks earlier. Back then, Mom and Dad had said Haldin was too far away. They didn't want me to be so far from home. Wendy and Shane had also warmly invited me to attend Northvale University. That was why I had never changed my first-choice university. But now, I had no place in this family. And there was no place for me in this so-called friendship. If that was the case, I had no reason to keep staying where I was. Chapter 3 Wyatt's POV A passport was needed to enroll in a university in Haldin. So, while everyone was out having fun, I took the opportunity to go home. It wasn't far. Even by plane, it took less than an hour. But the moment I pushed open the door, a barrage of party poppers suddenly exploded all over me. A group of Wendy's closest friends suddenly appeared in front of me. "Surprise!" they yelled. I was startled. I quickly covered my face with my hands to keep the powder from getting into my nose and mouth. I have allergic rhinitis, so I can't be exposed to too much dust. "Oh my! A grown man like you is moved to tears? Wendy specially arranged this confession party for you. She spent months planning it." My heart skipped a beat. It felt as though a wound that had once been ripped open was beginning to heal. A long time ago, I had told Wendy that boys also needed a little romance. And she actually remembered. "Here, these are your favorite limited-edition sneakers." They brought me a pair of discontinued running shoes with a personal autograph. I could hardly believe it. I asked, "A-Are these really for me?" The woman beside me nodded. "Of course, Shane. Wendy put even more thought into this rehearsal than she did into her real confession next week. She's planning to confess to Wyatt next week, but all she got him was a cheap silver ring. "But for you, she bought a pair of expensive sneakers. She said she absolutely couldn't let you suffer any losses. Even if you're just helping her rehearse the confession, she refuses to cut any corners." My hand slowly lowered. The color drained from my face. The room instantly fell silent. "W-Wyatt?" At that moment, the bedroom door opened from the inside. Wendy stepped out in a white dress, staring at me in disbelief. "W-Why are you here?" I clenched my fists. I couldn't take it anymore. I stormed toward her and gripped her shoulders tightly. "Wendy, forget it! I'm not saying yes! I won't accept your confession next week!" Then, the door opened for the second time. "Well? Wasn't my idea great? All we had to do was send Wyatt some random AI-generated video. He'd never know that we had actually come back ages ago—" The moment he saw me, the bottle of red wine slipped from his hand. The red wine spilled across the floor, staining it red. A few drops splattered across my cheek. "Wyatt, w-what are you doing here?" I fought back my tears and kept my voice as steady as I could. "I came home to get a few things." With that, I walked into the bedroom as though I hadn't seen them at all. Then, I heard Shane's frustrated voice from outside the door. "We're screwed. Wyatt definitely knows everything now. It's all my fault. I insisted on rehearsing it with you today. Now the surprise is ruined. Do you think he'll still say yes?" Wendy comforted him softly, "It's fine. They say it's easy for a woman to win over a man. Wyatt has had a crush on me for years. I don't even need a grand gesture. If I just say a few sweet words to him, he'll be so excited." The anger I had been holding back all day finally spilled over. I stormed out of the room with my passport. "Enough! You tried to confess to me with a knockoff, yet you spent so much money on sneakers to impress him. Still, you want me to say yes? Wendy, I've put up with you for far too long! Don't push it!" But she impatiently retorted, "Wyatt, why are you getting jealous of your best friend? Feelings can't be measured by money. It's the thought that counts! Besides, today was just a joke. Why are you taking it so seriously?" Shane nodded. He walked over and tugged gently at my arm, trying to reason with me as affectionately as he had when we were little. He said, "Wyatt, this was really just a joke. Wendy was afraid she'd get too nervous and mess up if she confessed to you herself, so she asked me for help. If there were ever anything going on between the two of us, why would you even be involved?" I looked up and shoved his hand away. "Three people in a relationship is too much. I'm out. From now on, don't make me the butt of your jokes. I'll take it seriously." With that, I clutched my passport tightly and walked into the bathroom without looking back. Just a few toiletries left to pack, and every trace of me in this home would be gone forever. Chapter 4 Wyatt's POV 15 minutes later, the bathroom door flew open. Mom stormed in, yanked me hard by the ear, and dragged me before everyone. My feet slipped, and I crashed hard onto the floor. Stars flashed before my eyes. Red wine stains on the floor smeared all over me, leaving me a complete mess. Mom pulled a medical report for severe depression from her pocket and threw it in front of me. "Do you see it now? You've always complained that we treat Shane better than you. This is why! We only joke around with you because we want Shane to get better as soon as possible. As long as he's happy, we're happy too." Beside Mom, Shane already had tears welling in his eyes, looking deeply moved. "Mrs. Yates, don't tell Wyatt about it. He'll feel guilty. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have joked around with him. Honestly, when he said he wanted to cut ties with me, my heart nearly stopped." Wendy immediately looked at his chest with concern, afraid something might happen to him. But I just laughed. Had they really found it so amusing to prank me relentlessly and watch me run around like a monkey just to make Shane happy? I said, "That's not how depression works, Shane." I stepped forward, and, for the first time, I took off the watch strap covering my left wrist in front of everyone. Just like that, layer upon layer of scars were exposed. "Depression isn't something you can just say you have. If you've got the guts, show everyone your proof," I snarked. Then, I felt a hard slap on my face. It was so hard that even Mom instinctively took a step back. My left ear was ringing, but I had no tears left to cry. Shelly pointed a finger at me and yelled, "Wyatt, you're actually deceiving us now? Tell me! Which makeup artist did you hire to make those scars? They don't look real! I'm ashamed to have a brother as cunning as you!" Wendy's friends started whispering and gossiping about me. Some of them even posted about me online. "Male college student fakes his own scars just to get a girl! His tactics rival any girl's." In an instant, I got a flurry of comments attacking me. A hint of satisfaction appeared in Shane's eyes, though he quickly hid it. He approached me, feigning concern. He said kindly, "Wyatt, they might not believe you, but I do. Please, stop acting so irrationally. Hurry up and apologize to your family. Apologize to Wendy and her friends, too. Everyone came here to have a good time, only to end up seeing you make a fool of yourself." I laughed, looking around as I asked, "So when will you give me the apology you've owed me for 18 years?" Mom stared at me in disbelief, her face flushed with anger. "Wyatt, you…" As she spoke, she grabbed the vase beside her and hurled it at me. I dodged quickly, then ran out of the house without looking back. After landing safely in Haldin, I followed their example and sent a message in the family group chat. "I was just joking." Mom, Dad, and Shelly stared at the message in stunned silence, lost in thought. They wondered what the joke had been. … Third-Person POV Early the next morning, Isaac Yates, Francine Hobbs, and Shelly rushed to the gates of Northvale University, desperate to find Wyatt. But after checking the enrollment list and making a few phone calls, the elderly security guard looked at them in confusion and said, "We don't have a freshman named Wyatt Yates at our university." Francine shook her head and yelled, "That's impossible! His dad and I were here yesterday! He even left his luggage with you!" The security guard snapped his fingers, suddenly remembering. But he shook his head regretfully. "The man you're looking for dropped out yesterday!" "W-What?" Isaac and Francine exchanged stunned looks before collapsing to the ground.

Watch & Promotions

About this novel