
Theater: GoodNovel | Language: English
Synopsis
Mom's words hold immense weight, but she only speaks one sentence each month. When a bankrupt businessman begs for her blessing, his life turns around the next day. When a childless tycoon begs her to bless him with a child, his wife is pregnant before a month has passed.
But all my life, she has never spoken a complete sentence to me. When it was time to choose which university to apply to, Mom merely shook her head. "If you apply…"
Her unfinished sentence kept me awake all night. I took her meaning the wrong way, and in the end, I lost the university I had dreamed about getting into for ten years. Then, my younger sister, who had scored less than me, somehow snagged a spot there. Yet, she only smiled shyly and said, "I just got lucky."
After graduation, a prestigious foreign company came knocking. However, Mom simply gave a cold warning. "Maybe it's a trap…"
So, I took her advice and joined a company that has me working overtime day after day.
Yet, my younger sister joined that foreign company, and she ended up with a high salary and weekends off.
Three days before my wedding, Mom looks at my fiance. As always, she only says, "The happiness you have now is only temporary…"
I toss and turn, unable to sleep. But as I pass my younger sister's room, I hear Mom's gentle voice. "First, I pray that Zara and Evan grow old together, surrounded by children and grandchildren. Second, I hope they live happily without any misfortune…"
She talks all night. I listen from the other side of the door the entire time. It's only when my tears run dry that I finally understand. It isn't that Mom can't speak. She simply doesn't want to talk to me. Since her words are never meant for me, she has no reason to involve herself in the rest of my life.
Chapters (1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
Mom's words hold immense weight, but she only speaks one sentence each month. When a bankrupt businessman begs for her blessing, his life turns around the next day. When a childless tycoon begs her to bless him with a child, his wife is pregnant before a month has passed.
But all my life, she has never spoken a complete sentence to me. When it was time to choose which university to apply to, Mom merely shook her head. "If you apply…"
Her unfinished sentence kept me awake all night. I took her meaning the wrong way, and in the end, I lost the university I had dreamed about getting into for ten years. Then, my younger sister, who had scored less than me, somehow snagged a spot there. Yet, she only smiled shyly and said, "I just got lucky."
After graduation, a prestigious foreign company came knocking. However, Mom simply gave a cold warning. "Maybe it's a trap…"
So, I took her advice and joined a company that has me working overtime day after day.
Yet, my younger sister joined that foreign company, and she ended up with a high salary and weekends off.
Three days before my wedding, Mom looks at my fiance. As always, she only says, "The happiness you have now is only temporary…"
I toss and turn, unable to sleep. But as I pass my younger sister's room, I hear Mom's gentle voice. "First, I pray that Zara and Evan grow old together, surrounded by children and grandchildren. Second, I hope they live happily without any misfortune…"
She talks all night. I listen from the other side of the door the entire time. It's only when my tears run dry that I finally understand. It isn't that Mom can't speak. She simply doesn't want to talk to me. Since her words are never meant for me, she has no reason to involve herself in the rest of my life.
Chapter 1
Emily's POV
When Mom stepped out of the room and saw me, a flicker of surprise crossed her eyes. Ever since I was little, she had barely spoken to me. So, I had learned every change in her expression.
Before my mind could even process it, I blurted out, "I didn't hear anything."
Mom merely nodded. She didn't say anything to me.
My younger sister, Zara Bardot, also came out of the room. She asked, "Emily, what are you doing here?" She signed. "Tomorrow, our fiances are coming over. Mom doesn't speak, so I don't know if she'll approve of them."
I smiled derisively. If I hadn't heard Mom spend the entire night giving her advice, I might actually have believed her. Come to think of it, Zara always managed to have good luck whenever something important happened.
She hadn't done well on the college entrance exam, but she somehow managed to get into the university I had dreamed of attending. She hadn't even maintained an impressive academic record, yet she somehow landed an offer from a foreign company. Just how much of this luck of hers was actually Mom's doing?
Not long after, my fiance, Timothy Graham, and Zara's fiance, Evan Stewart, arrived together. They brought a generous amount of gifts.
Timothy smiled and greeted Mom when he saw her. "Hello, Ms. Wesley!"
Mom glanced sideways at Timothy, then ignored him. I had already told him about Mom's habit of not speaking. So, he wasn't hurt by her silence. Instead, he smiled even more. He poured her coffee and brought it to her, eager to make a good impression.
Unexpectedly, when it was Evan's turn to greet Mom, she immediately smiled. She said affectionately, "Evan, right? You're such a good man. You and Zara are sure to be happy together."
Mom's words were precious and special. Everything she said was destined to come true.
When Evan heard that, he immediately gave Mom a solemn nod. "With your blessing, Zara and I are sure to be happy together! Thank you, Ms. Wesley!"
Zara smiled shyly at that.
Mom smiled and teased him, "Still calling me that? Don't call me that anymore."
Evan was quick to catch on. He immediately smiled and said, "Okay, Jennifer."
"Good!" At that moment, Mom was just like any other mother. For more than a decade, she had followed her rule of speaking only one sentence a month. Yet, at that moment, it was as if that rule had never existed.
Timothy was still holding the coffee. When he saw what had happened, he suddenly felt flustered. He didn't even realize that the coffee had burned his hand.
He quietly walked over to me, a hint of confusion and insecurity in his eyes. He asked, "Emily, does your mom not like me?"
I clenched my fingers tightly and forced back my tears. It wasn't that she didn't like him. She just didn't like me.
Timothy gritted his teeth. "Maybe she just didn't hear me when I talked to her!" With that, he picked up the coffee again and offered it to Mom. "Ms. Weston, please have a drink!"
The moment Mom heard his voice, she stopped smiling and snapped her lips shut. In an instant, she was once again the woman I remembered so well.
A long silence filled the air. Even when Timothy could barely hold the drink, Mom still didn't take the coffee from him or say a single word in response.
Zara stepped in to smooth things over, smiling as she took the coffee from Mom. "This is top-quality coffee—"
Before she could finish, she suddenly let out a scream. "It's hot!"
The cup slipped from her hands and shattered on the floor, mirroring my and Timothy's hearts.
Yet, Mom didn't spare Timothy a glance. She turned around, took Zara's hand, and brought her to the sink to run cold water over the burn. "How could you be so careless?" she asked.
I listened as Mom fussed over Zara in the kitchen so her injury would heal quickly.
Beside me, Timothy lowered his head and walked over to me with a bitter smile. "Looks like your mom really doesn't like me."
I tightly grasped his scalded hand as I fought back my tears. I said, "Nothing can change the fact that we're getting married in three days. Timothy, after the wedding, we won't come home again. Alright?"
Timothy seemed to understand what I meant. He looked at me tenderly and sadly. "Okay."
Chapter 2
Emily's POV
The next day, my family went to pick up the wedding dress we had ordered. However, when we arrived at the shop, the sales assistant apologized and told me, "The wedding dress you ordered was bought by someone else a few days ago. They paid a high price."
I was getting married the day after tomorrow. I couldn't possibly get married without a wedding dress.
I forced down my anger and said, "Doesn't your store have any sense of responsibility? I've already paid the deposit!"
The sales assistant kept apologizing. "I'm sorry, ma'am. It was the manager's decision. Feel free to choose any other wedding dress in our store. Would that be alright?"
However, that dress was the one Timothy and I had scoured the entire city for. It was the one we liked best. They had no right to just sell it to someone else.
I was trembling with rage. "I won't accept this! You have to deal with this now! Give me back my wedding dress!"
I was just about to step forward when Mom grabbed me by the wrist. When I turned around, I saw her shaking her head calmly. "Sometimes, it's better to take a step back…"
But the next moment, we heard Zara scream from nearby. "Why is there a missing diamond on my dress?"
Mom's expression immediately shifted, and she rushed over to Zara to ask what had happened.
Zara pouted, looking utterly wronged. She cried, "My wedding dress was supposed to have 999 diamonds, but I just counted them, and there are only 998!"
Another sales assistant hurriedly explained, "It might have accidentally fallen out during shipping—"
But Zara wouldn't listen. Tears kept streaming down her face.
Mom's eyes widened, and her face burned with rage. She immediately started cursing. "You said there were 99, so there must be 999 of them! Even one missing is a breach of contract! If you don't replace that missing diamond, your store will go under!"
"But we don't have any spare diamonds right now…"
Ever since I was little, Mom had always cared most about keeping up appearances. This was the first time I had ever seen her argue with someone in public over a single diamond. He had thrown away her dignity for the sake of Zara.
At that moment, my heart died completely. The sales assistant in front of me looked at me, then at Mom, and asked cautiously, "Ma'am, about your wedding dress…"
I grimaced and casually pointed to one of the dresses. "I'll take that one."
"Okay."
But when the sales assistant was packing up my wedding dress, Mom noticed what was happening here. "It's only one missing diamond! Just take one off my other daughter's dress and sew it onto hers!"
With that, before anyone noticed what she was doing, she yanked the largest diamond from the bodice of my wedding dress and tossed it in front of the sales assistant. "Sew it on right now!"
The sales assistant was left speechless and could only agree. I felt my chest ache at the spectacle.
Zara smiled through her tears, while Mom gently stroked her cheek. The sight broke my heart.
I asked in despair, "Mom, just why?"
As soon as Mom heard me, she fell silent once again.
Zara seemed to finally realize what had happened and apologized, "I'm sorry, Emily, but this was Mom's idea. Besides, you didn't even like this wedding dress…"
I felt a bitter taste in my mouth. As I looked at Mom's expressionless face, I held back every word I wanted to say. I decided to drop it. Once I got married the day after tomorrow, I would never come home again.
Chapter 3
Emily's POV
After Zara's wedding dress was taken care of, disaster struck again the very next day. The wedding company she had hired suddenly disappeared without a trace.
She paced frantically around the house, tears streaming down her face. "What do I do? The wedding is tomorrow, and they've run off! What am I supposed to do now?"
Mom felt heartbroken and anxious for Zara. She said, "Don't worry. I'll make sure your wedding goes smoothly!"
I was holding my phone, finalizing the schedule for tomorrow's wedding with Timothy. But Mom suddenly snatched my phone away.
While talking to Zara, she scrolled through my phone and said, "At this point, we have no choice but to contact your sister's wedding planner and have them work for you instead."
My face went pale, and a bad feeling washed over me. I asked, "What are you saying?"
Mom didn't spare me a single glance. Instead, she called the person who had arranged my wedding. "Yes, this is Zara Bardot's mother. The bride and groom for tomorrow's wedding will be her and Evan Stewart—"
I froze, my eyes widening in disbelief. I snatched my phone back and yelled, "Mom, what is the meaning of this? I booked them six months in advance. How can you just give them to Zara?"
Mom froze, her expression turning cold in an instant. "Zara only gets married once! Nothing can go wrong!"
After all these years, she had finally spoken a complete sentence to me. I had waited 20 years for that, but with how hurtful her words were, I would rather suffer than hear them.
My eyes welled up with tears. "She only gets one wedding, but so do I! Mom, you can't do this—"
"You're the older sister! You're supposed to give way to her!" Mom snatched away my phone once again. I watched helplessly as she worked with my wedding company to arrange Zara's wedding.
Suddenly, a memory crossed my mind. It was Timothy and me lying beneath the starry sky, dreaming together about our perfect wedding.
With that, I shot to my feet, my eyes filled with determination. "This won't do!"
"Have you had enough?" Anger flashed across Mom's face, and suddenly, she slapped me across the face. "Keep this up, and I'll curse Daisy. She'll get hit by a car this afternoon!"
My mind went blank. Daisy was the dog I had raised for eight years. When I was a child, I accidentally fell into the water, and Daisy was the one who saved my life.
Mom knew just how important she was to me. I covered my face, utterly broken, and shut my mouth. I didn't dare say another word.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Zara smiling at me triumphantly.
Meanwhile, Mom had already settled everything with the wedding company. I slowly closed my eyes. I thought, "This is our farewell, Mom. This is the last time."
Chapter 4
Emily's POV
Never had I expected Mom's words to be that powerful. I was worried about Daisy's safety, so I kept her locked in my room and refused to let her go outside. But when I came home, the door I had locked was somehow open. And Daisy was gone.
Then, I suddenly remembered something. She had a habit of going outside every day to pick flowers for me, just to make me happy. I had deliberately locked her inside to prevent any harm from coming to her.
I stormed over to Mom and asked in a panic, "Did you open the door?"
Mom's expression remained cold, and she still refused to deign to utter a single word.
Just when I was at the point of despair, Zara said cautiously, "Mom just forgot. She didn't do it on purpose…"
"But her carelessness could have gotten Daisy killed!" I cut her off.
Zara was frightened by the look on my face. Her mouth opened and closed, but she couldn't utter a single word.
I stared at Mom, who had kept her mouth shut the entire time, and completely gave up on her.
I sprinted out the door. Sure enough, at the intersection not far from home, I saw Daisy lying in the middle of the road, covered in blood. She still had a bright red rose in her mouth.
I tearfully called 911 and had Daisy rushed to the clinic. The veterinarian looked grim and told me to prepare for the worst.
I waited outside the operating room. Just as despair overwhelmed me, I called Mom.
It took ten calls before she finally answered.
My voice trembled as I said, "Daisy was really hit by a car. She's in the operating room right now. Mom, please say something and help her make it through this. I'm begging you!"
It was quiet on the other end of the line. I could hear her breathing.
I gritted my teeth and begged, "It doesn't take much to say one thing! I'll pay you to speak! Just do it! Mom, just say something. Just one thing. I can't lose Daisy…"
Mom still remained silent.
After a long while, I heard Zara's voice. "Mom, I'm about to lose this game! Say something to help me turn it around!"
Mom chuckled helplessly. And finally, I heard her voice. "You're getting married soon, but you're still so mischievous. You'll definitely win this round."
Zara laughed happily. "Thank you, Mom! I love you!"
My mind went blank. I stood there, completely stunned.
Then, the operating room door opened. The veterinarian said, "I'm sorry. We couldn't save her…"
I lifted the white cloth and slowly stroked Daisy's head. Her eyes were closed, and her body was no longer warm. The rose beside it was stained with her blood, but it had already begun to wither. It was a sign that she was truly dead.
At that moment, I could no longer hold back my tears. They streamed down my face. I didn't even realize when the call had ended.
Soon, Timothy finally arrived. As I leaned against his shoulder, I felt an ache in my chest.
I desperately tried to hold back my sobs as I said, "Daisy's dead. Mom said it. Mom said she would get hit by a car. Just why? I already gave the wedding company to Zara…"
Then, I sobbed so hard I could barely catch my breath.
Timothy pulled me into his arms. He looked at me with concern. "Emily, we'll leave the country tomorrow. Why don't we have a destination wedding instead?"
I closed my eyes. I said hoarsely, "Yeah. I'll never come back here. Never again."
Once I had calmed down, I spent the entire day arranging Daisy's funeral. The next day was the wedding. Mom happily sent Zara off to get married, completely unaware that I hadn't come home all night.
Meanwhile, Timothy and I boarded the earliest flight out. As the engines roared to life, I never looked back.
- Search this code in the GoodNovel app:
R80307 Open GoodNovel → Search code → Find the title