
Theater: NovelMaster | Language: English
Synopsis
My dad died in a car crash. The driver was my fiancé’s sister.
Ethan knelt outside my front door in the pouring rain all night. He begged me through tears, swearing his sister suffered from severe psychosis and had no idea what she was doing.
Back then, having just lost my father, Ethan was the only pillar I had left in this world.
My heart broke. I caved.
I signed the leniency agreement, and that was when Chloe began barging into my life again and again.
She smashed my dad’s framed portrait.
She sang "Happy Birthday" in front of his tombstone on the anniversary of his death.
She even crashed into our bedroom in the middle of our intimacy, wearing the exact same bloodstained red slip dress from the night of the crash.
I used to think she resented me for stealing her only brother. I thought she was doing everything she could to drive me crazy and ruin our upcoming wedding.
Until the day of my father’s memorial, when she showed up at the cemetery, her bare feet dripping with blood.
"Don't marry him."
"You'll regret it."
Ethan’s lips were pressing against the side of my neck when the bedroom door was suddenly shoved open.
He froze, instantly pulling the comforter over me and shielding me firmly behind his back.
Standing barefoot on the hardwood floor by the doorway was his sister, Chloe.
She wore a crimson slip dress. Her dark, messy hair hung over her shoulders, and her face was deathly pale.
"Who let you in?"
Ethan’s voice dropped, terrifyingly cold.
Chloe stared straight at her brother.
"Ethan, when you kiss her... don't you ever see Arthur's face?"
Ethan’s expression changed instantly.
My eyes, however, were glued to her dress. My teeth dug into my lip until I tasted copper.
The night my dad was killed, Chloe had been wearing that exact red dress.
When the police found her, she was sitting on the curb, soaked in blood, muttering the same sentence over and over.
*“It was me... I hit him... It was me...”*
I had held my father’s ice-cold hand in the morgue.
I had watched Chloe confess behind the two-way glass at the precinct, looking completely shattered and out of her mind.
That red dress had been my recurring nightmare for two full years.
And now, she dared to wear it right in front of me!
Blinded by rage, I threw off the blanket and rushed forward, shoving her toward the hallway.
"Evelyn!"
Ethan grabbed my wrist, pulling me back. "Stop it!"
He moved swiftly, blocking Chloe behind him.
"She's having an episode! You know she's sick!"
"Being sick gives her the right to rip my wounds open over and over again?!"
I pointed at the red dress, tears spilling uncontrollably down my cheeks.
"She killed my dad!"
"I signed the waiver! I didn't push for prison time, and I didn't sue your family into the ground!"
"How much more am I supposed to take?!"
"Do I have to worship her on my knees before anyone considers me forgiving enough?!"
Ethan’s brow furrowed tightly. "No one is asking you to worship her."
I glared at him through blurred vision. "Then why are you yelling at me?!"
Ethan glanced back at Chloe, a flicker of raw pain flashing across his eyes.
Yet, he didn't move an inch away from her.
"Chloe isn't stable. She doesn't even know what she's doing."
"We're getting married in five days. She's going to be your family. Don't take it out on her."
I froze, completely stunned.
Ethan grabbed his jacket from the armchair and wrapped it around Chloe’s trembling shoulders.
"She's losing control today. I need to take her back to her room."
"Once I settle her down, I'll come right back to you."
The door clicked shut. Silence swallowed the bedroom.
I collapsed onto the bed, trembling with sobs.
Moments later, the door reopened. Ethan knelt before me. "Eve."
His hand reached for my shoulder, but I smacked it away.
"Don't touch me!"
He fell silent for a second, then gently pulled me into his arms anyway.
I thrashed and fought him, but his grip only tightened.
"I'm sorry. It's on me. I didn't keep an eye on her."
He pressed a soft kiss into my hair.
"The second our wedding is over, I'll have her admitted to that specialized facility abroad."
He cupped my face with both hands, using his thumbs to wipe away my tears.
"I promised your dad I would take care of you for the rest of my life. After the wedding, no one will ever bother us again."
His gaze was gentle, almost devout.
Two years ago, he had knelt outside my door just like this, eyes rimmed with red, making that exact same promise.
He told me that if I could find it in my heart to forgive Chloe, he would spend the rest of his days loving me and taking care of me in my father’s place.
It was pouring rain that night.
He stayed on his knees until he was burning with a fever. In the end, my heart softened, and I signed the leniency papers.
From that day on, I had lost my father.
And Ethan became the only person I had left in the world.
Leaning against his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart, I finally stopped struggling.
Chapter TwoWhen I woke up the next morning, Ethan was already gone.
A homemade breakfast sat on the nightstand, along with a handwritten note.
*【I’m sorry about last night. Bridal shop at 3:00 PM. I’ll pick you up.】*
Under the note lay a diamond ring.
It was the one I had fallen in love with six months ago—the one I couldn't bring myself to buy because of the absurd price tag.
I stared at the sparkling rock for a long time, the bitterness inside me slowly giving way to exhaustion.
Ethan was always like this.
Every time Chloe pushed me to the brink of a breakdown, he would compensate me in the sweetest, most tender ways imaginable.
He remembered every single thing I liked. He would hold me through the night whenever insomnia hit me, and whenever I missed my dad, he wouldn't hesitate to drive hours just to take me to the cemetery.
He was so good to me.
So good that every time I thought about walking away from this relationship, I would question whether I was being overly petty.
After all, Chloe was just a sick girl.
At three o'clock sharp, Ethan arrived outside.
He opened the car door for me, leaning in to buckle my seatbelt. His warm breath brushed against my ear.
"Still mad at me?"
I turned my face away. "No."
He chuckled softly, took my left hand, and slipped the diamond ring onto my ring finger.
"After the wedding, I'm taking you to Iceland."
I didn't pull away.
When the car pulled up in front of the bridal boutique, I caught sight of Chloe through the glass window immediately.
She was wearing my wedding dress.
The pure white train trailed along the carpet. She stood before the floor-length mirror, clutching a bouquet of red roses.
The boutique staff looked completely helpless.
"Ms. Carter, this lady said she's Mr. Hayes's sister. We couldn't stop her..."
Chloe turned around, the delicate fabric whispering against the floor.
She locked her eyes onto me, her voice trembling yet vicious. "Evelyn, you can't marry my brother."
"You can't marry him! I won't let you!"
I frowned, my chest tightening. "Why?"
Chloe's lips parted, but before she could speak, Ethan marched past me with long strides.
As he rushed past, his shoulder slammed heavily into mine. The impact knocked me against the sharp corner of a display table, sending a searing jolt of pain through my hip.
Ethan didn't even look back. He grabbed Chloe by the arm. "Did you skip your meds again?!"
Chloe’s eyes were bloodshot.
Ethan gritted his teeth. "We're going to the hospital. Now!"
He dragged Chloe toward the exit, brushing past me without stopping.
Clutching my bruised side, I called out his name, my voice shaking. "Ethan!"
He didn't turn around.
I stood frozen in the boutique, feeling a cold dread seep deep into my bones.
Half an hour later, my phone buzzed with a text from Ethan.
*【I'm so sorry, Eve. Chloe missed her dose and had another breakdown.】*
*【I'll come home to you as soon as I'm done here.】*
I stared down at the screen, unable to type a single word.
Chloe’s desperate scream echoed in my mind.
*"You can't marry my brother."*
*"I won't let you marry him."*
Why did she say that?
Chapter ThreeIt was eleven at night when Ethan finally came home.
I was sitting in the living room in total darkness.
When he unlocked the door and saw me sitting on the sofa, his steps visibly faltered.
"Why are you still awake?"
"How is she?"
"Seven stitches on her palm. The doctor had to give her a sedative."
He walked over, dropping to one knee before me, gazing up into my face.
"Her condition is deteriorating. I've already finalized the arrangements with the facility overseas. We'll send her there immediately after the ceremony."
I stared down at him for a quiet moment, then asked point-blank, "Why doesn't she want me to marry you?"
Ethan went completely still, looking like a man forced into an agonizing confession.
"Eve... there's something I've been terrified to tell you."
"Chloe's feelings toward me... they aren't normal."
I froze.
"Our parents died when we were kids. Since she was ten, I was all she had. Her therapist told me she mistook her extreme codependency for romantic love. She can't accept another woman taking my attention."
He rested his forehead against my knees, his voice turning raw and hoarse.
"I was afraid you'd be disgusted by it. I was terrified you'd leave me because of her baggage."
"Eve, you're the only person I have left in this world."
Those few words completely shattered whatever defenses I had put up.
His parents had passed away early. He had been working and studying while taking care of a mentally ill sister since he was seventeen.
He really had carried a crushing burden for years.
Slowly, I lifted my hands and cradled his head.
As if granted absolute pardon, he pulled me down into a fierce hug, showering desperate kisses over my forehead and cheeks.
"I won't ever let her hurt you again."
"Once we're married, all of this nightmare will finally be over."
Five days before the wedding was the anniversary of my father’s death.
I bought a bottle of the bourbon he loved most and drove out to the cemetery alone.
Ethan had promised to go with me, but right before we walked out the door, the clinic called.
Chloe was refusing her medication and had thrown a heavy tray at a nurse.
Ethan looked at me with pure conflict in his eyes. "Eve, I have to go."
I reached out and smoothed his collar.
"Go ahead."
"She's your sister, and she's not well."
He gripped my hand tightly, his eyes brimming with guilt.
"The minute I settle her down, I'll meet you at the cemetery."
I didn't answer.
I sat beside my dad's tombstone for three full hours. Ethan never showed up.
The sky slowly faded into twilight.
My phone screen stayed dark. Not a single text, not a single missed call.
I poured a splash of bourbon onto the grass before his headstone, then used my sleeve to wipe the dust off his engraved picture.
"Dad... I'm getting married in a few days."
"You always told me Ethan was too calculating, that I shouldn't give him all my blind trust."
"But after you left... he was the only one who held me together."
"Dad... did I make a mistake forgiving her?"
My voice cracked into a broken whisper.
Suddenly, the sharp snap of a twig sounded behind me.
I turned around.
Chloe was standing a few yards away.
She wasn't wearing shoes. The sharp gravel had shredded the soles of her feet, leaving a trail of bloody footprints on the stone path.
"What are you doing here?"
Chapter FourChloe didn't answer.
She dragged her feet toward my father's headstone and fell hard to her knees.
"I'm sorry."
Her forehead slammed against the cold granite, over and over, until blood began smearing across the stone.
A rush of hot fury ignited in my chest.
"What good is your apology now?!"
I lunged forward, yanking her up by her arm. "My dad is dead!"
"He's never coming back!"
"You're the one who killed him! You took him away from me!"
Chloe looked up, her hollow eyes suddenly filling with tears.
"I know... I see him every night in my dreams."
My entire body stiffened.
"What did you just say?"
Suddenly, Chloe’s eyes widened in sheer terror, looking past my shoulder.
I turned around.
Ethan was standing just a few feet away, his face devoid of any emotion.
"Chloe."
He walked over slowly, his voice sickeningly gentle.
"It's time for your medication."
Chloe stumbled backward in panic. "I'm not taking it!"
"Be a good girl."
"That's not medicine!" she shrieked hysterically.
Ethan lunged forward, grabbing her wrist with an iron grip. "You're having another episode."
"I am not!"
She fought wildly, her fingernails clawing deep bloody gouges across the back of Ethan's hand.
Using every ounce of strength left in her frail body, she whipped her head toward me and screamed at the top of her lungs,
"Evelyn, you can't marry him!"
"I won't let you, and your dad would never allow it! Because—"
Ethan’s face twisted into pure fury. He raised his hand and slapped her across the face with brutal force.
The sharp crack echoed through the silent cemetery.
Chloe collapsed beside my father’s tombstone, blood trickling from the corner of her split lip.
"Ethan!"
I shoved him back with all my might, throwing myself between him and Chloe.
"Why did you hit her?!"
Ethan’s chest heaved violently.
After a few suffocating seconds, he seemed to pull his mask back on, rubbing his temples as if exhausted.
"Eve, you don't understand. Her paranoia has gotten worse. She’s completely delusional now."
His intense gaze locked onto mine.
"She's sick. Every word coming out of her mouth right now is a lie designed to sabotage our wedding."
"Don't let her get inside your head, okay?"
I stood there, completely numb.
Right at that moment, a trembling, bloody hand reached out from behind me, grabbing my fingers and shoving a small, hard object into my palm.
Then, Chloe’s shrill scream ripped through the air like a bolt of lightning, shattering my entire reality.
"Evelyn! I wasn't the one who hit your dad!"
"Ethan was the one driving that night!"
"Don't marry him! If you do, you'll regret it for the rest of your life!"
Chapter Five
Chapters (4)
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Watch & Promotions
- Search this code in the NovelMaster app:
500010Open NovelMaster → Search code → Find the title