ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

My Daughter Locked Me in a Psych Ward

NovelMaster · English · Theater: NovelMaster, Lang: English, Genre: Werewolf, Genre: Realistic, Genre: Reborn, Genre: Romance, Genre: Male Fiction ·

My Daughter Locked Me in a Psych Ward

Theater: NovelMaster  |  Language: English

Synopsis

"Look at you, dressed like absolute white trash. You really came all the way to Australia just to humiliate me?"
My daughter, Chloe, jabbed her manicured finger into my face, her features twisted with venom.
The cashier's check in my trembling hand felt like burning lead.
That piece of paper represented three hundred thousand dollars—the entirety of my life savings.
It was the money I had scraped together after working twenty straight years behind the grill of a greasy diner, combined with selling my only house back home.
I had come here to plead with her to come home to the States.
David had a documented history of severe domestic violence, and I didn't want her whole life ruined.
Instead of listening, she and David had called a high-end private psychiatric hospital, claiming I was suffering from extreme paranoid delusions.
Ten minutes later, two burly orderlies had pinned me to a stretcher.
They confiscated all my belongings, including my cashier's check, and forcibly hauled me away into that private asylum in Melbourne.
Her gaze had been dripping with greed and contempt.
"David promised me that the second he has this money, we're getting married."
As they strapped me down onto the cold hospital bed, the brutal truth finally hit me.
This was an ambush from the start.
All they ever wanted was the three hundred thousand dollars in my pocket.
I shut my eyes and went limp.
What they didn't know was that in my tough life, there was one thing I did better than anyone else:
Playing dumb.
"Look at you, dressed like absolute white trash. You really came all the way to Australia just to humiliate me?"
Chloe pointed straight at my nose, her pretty face contorted with rage. That designer coat she was wearing probably cost more than all the clothes I had worn in the last twenty years combined.
My knuckles turned white as I gripped the cashier's check.
This little slip of paper represented three hundred thousand dollars—the proceeds from selling my only home back in our small town, and the sweat and burns from twenty years of firing up the diner griddle at 3:00 a.m.
I had endured a grueling twenty-hour flight across the globe to Melbourne. I hadn't come here to be spat on.
"Chloe, David has a record for domestic abuse! Everyone knows what he did to his ex-wife!"
"Are you really going to trap yourself with a monster just for a shortcut to an easy life?"
My voice trembled, sounding more like a desperate plea than an accusation.
"Come back home with me. We can use this money to get you a fresh start back in the States, buy a nice condo, anything you want."
"Go back?" Chloe sneered, letting out a sharp, mocking laugh.
"Back to that rotting, freezing dump of a town?"
"Wake up, Mom! I'm on the verge of securing my permanent residency. I'm going to be a real Australian citizen!"
"And you want me to throw that away?"
She snatched the check straight out of my hands, her eyes gleaming with repulsive hunger.
"David said as long as we have this money to secure our investment visa, my permanent residency will be rubber-stamped."
"And as for the abuse? He hit his ex-wife, not me."
"Besides, what real man doesn't have a bit of a temper?"
My heart felt as if it were being crushed by an icy fist, suffocating me with sheer agony.
The daughter I had raised all on my own for over two decades, my only child whom I treasured above my own life, was speaking to me like this.
"You can't give him that money!" I lunged forward, trying to grab the check back.
"Chloe, please listen to me! That man is walking poison—you're jumping straight into hell!"
"That's enough!"
A hulking figure stepped out from behind Chloe. It was David.
With a brutal shove, he knocked me backward. My head slammed against the drywall, sending a white-hot burst of pain through my skull.
David rattled off rapid-fire sentences to Chloe, his arrogant gaze raking dismissively over my worn, five-year-old winter jacket.
Chloe's expression flickered several times. Finally, she took a deep breath, and a sickeningly sweet smile spread across her face.
She walked over and helped me up, her voice suddenly dripping with fake warmth.
"Mom, I'm so sorry. I lost my temper."
"David is just worried about you. He thinks your mental state has really deteriorated lately."
I stared at her warily. "What are you talking about?"
"Look at you. You flew all this way, talking nonsense, screaming that David wants to kill me."
Chloe stroked my back with gentle hands, but her eyes were completely dead.
"The jet lag must be making you hallucinate. We really think you should go get checked out at a clinic."
The blood in my veins turned to ice.
I saw right through it.
This wasn't a spontaneous argument. It was a calculated trap.
They never wanted my advice. They only wanted the three hundred grand.
"No! I'm completely fine!" I fought back, shoving her away.
But David was already holding his phone to his ear.
He barked a few words into the receiver, hung up, and shot me a chilling grin.
Ten minutes later, a heavy knock echoed against the door.
Two massive men in EMT uniforms stepped inside.
Carrying restraints, they marched toward me without a shred of expression.
"What are you doing?! Get your hands off me!" I screamed, looking at my daughter in sheer horror.
"Chloe! I'm your mother! How could you do this to me?!"
Chloe looked away, not daring to meet my eyes.
"Officers, my mother suffers from severe paranoid schizophrenia and acute violent tendencies. Please, make sure she gets the intensive care she needs."My struggling was a joke against two heavy-set men.
With practiced cruelty, they bound my arms and legs with thick leather restraints and dragged me out.
The moment they shoved me into the back of the white medical van, I looked through the tinted window and saw Chloe taking the check from David's hands.
They fell into each other's arms, their faces glowing with filthy relief.
The heavy steel doors slammed shut, cutting off the world outside.
Lying on the freezing floor, immobilized, tears spilled silently down my cheeks.
I spent twenty years breaking my back over a hot stove just to raise a cold-blooded viper.
I thought I had come to save my daughter. In reality, I was just a fool delivering a payday to her doorstep.
St. Marian's Private Psychiatric Facility, Melbourne.
It sounded like a quiet retreat, but in reality, it was an extortion racket—a living hell for the inconvenient.
When the two orderlies dragged me out of the van, the stench of clinical bleach mingled with an underlying scent of mold and neglect hit me like a slap.
The fluorescent hallways were blindingly white, echoing with faint, hollow weeping and incoherent muttering.
I was hauled into a sterile office where an icy blonde woman introduced herself as Head Nurse Sarah Evans.
She held an intake file bearing my daughter's signature.
Under the diagnosis section, bold letters read: *Severe paranoid schizophrenia accompanied by violent, aggressive outbursts.*
"Mrs. Miller," Nurse Evans said flatly, her eyes devoid of any human warmth.
"Your daughter has prepaid for three months of intensive inpatient treatment. A total of fifty thousand dollars."
"She specifically requested that you receive the 'most comprehensive' sedation therapy we provide."
Fifty thousand dollars.
Using my own sweat-and-blood money to lock me away in a cage, expecting me to rot in gratitude.
What a wonderful daughter.
"I am not sick! She framed me to steal my life savings!"
I screamed with every ounce of air in my lungs, desperately trying to get through to her.
Nurse Evans just offered a condescending smirk and snapped the folder shut.
"Every patient in here claims they aren't sick, Mrs. Miller." She gestured to the guards.
"Take her to Ward 3. Administer a high-dose sedative immediately. Let's get her calm."
The orderlies grabbed my arms instantly.
I fought back, but that only earned me rougher handling.
The needle was freezing as it tore through my skin. A heavy, burning fluid rushed through my bloodstream.
My eyelids weighed a thousand pounds. The room spun, and everything went black.
They dumped me onto a concrete-hard cot in a room with a single window barricaded by welded steel mesh.
When I woke up, a whole day had passed.
I was forced to swallow a harsh legal reality: under Australian law, I was currently categorized as an incapacitated psychiatric patient.
My legal guardian was my daughter, Chloe. She held the power of attorney over my care and my assets.
Crying, arguing, and screaming were completely useless here; in fact, they would only serve as "proof" of my deteriorating mental health.
I couldn't break down. And above all, I couldn't actually go crazy.
If I lost my mind, those two monsters would win, and my life would truly be over.
From that day on, I started playing dumb.
Whenever the nurses brought medication, I swallowed it obediently—tucking the bitter pills beneath the root of my tongue, and spitting them down the drain the second I reached the restroom. During group therapy, I sat curled in the corner, staring blankly at the wall, giggling and mumbling incoherent words.
My "docility" caused the nurses to drop their guard. Nurse Evans clearly wrote me off as a broken old woman whose mind had been hollowed out by sedatives.
I began observing everything in secret.
The layout of the ward, the security cameras' blind spots, the shift change schedules, and the behavioral patterns of the staff.
Most patients were genuinely lost in their own minds. But there were one or two whose eyes held the same terrible clarity and silent desperation as mine.
We never spoke. But in brief, passing glances, we exchanged an understanding that needed no words.One afternoon, Chloe and David showed up to visit.
Dressed in immaculate clothes and carrying a fancy gift basket of fruit, they played the doting daughter and son-in-law for the ward staff.
"Mom, are you feeling better?" Chloe sat on the edge of my mattress, taking my limp hand, wearing an expression of dutiful worry.
I stared blankly into space, letting saliva pool at the corner of my mouth, whimpering brokenly:
"Home... I want to go home..."
David stood by the door, checking his luxury watch with visible impatience.
The second the nurse stepped out to answer a page, Chloe's mask shattered.
She leaned down right beside my ear, her voice a poisonous hiss:
"Cut the act, you old hag. What's the PIN on that cashier's account?"
"The bank won't release the full funds without your secondary verification code. You think playing retarded is going to keep that money from me?"
I kept my eyes vacant, repeatedly babbling the same hollow plea: "Home... let's go home..."
Chloe's face flushed with fury. She dug her sharp acrylic nails deep into my forearm, twisting the flesh.
"You think staying quiet will save you?"
"I already filed for emergency asset transfer as your legal guardian! In thirty days, that three hundred thousand will be legally mine!"
"Let's see how stubborn you are then!"
She shoved my arm away, leaving deep, purple crescent bruises on my pale skin.
"David has already submitted our investor immigration paperwork with that capital. My residency will be granted in no time."
"So just get comfortable here. We'll be sure to pay the minimum bill to keep you breathing."
She straightened her coat, instantly putting on her mournful, innocent face again as she called toward the doorway:
"Nurse, my mother seems to be getting agitated again. Please take extra care of her!"
Nurse Evans stepped back in, glancing at the fresh bruises on my arm. She barely frowned before offering Chloe an accomplice's knowing smile.
"Don't worry, Ms. Miller. We'll handle her."
Watching their backs vanish down the hallway, I slowly lowered my head. Behind my vacant gaze burned a searing, molten hatred.
Every single drop of this debt... I was going to collect it with compound interest.
To claw my way out of this hellhole, sheer willpower wasn't enough. I needed a wedge.
I needed someone who had access to the outside world.
I had already zeroed in on my target.
Her name was Maya Parker. She was a twenty-something social worker who came to the hospital twice a week to assist non-profit advocates and provide patient monitoring.
Unlike the callous staff, Maya's eyes always held a flicker of discomfort and sorrow whenever she looked at me.
She saw an elderly, helpless woman abandoned in a foreign country's asylum, and it broke her heart.
I began intentionally dropping subtle breadcrumbs in front of her.
Whenever orderlies roughly shoved pills toward me, I would look at Maya with sheer, quiet terror. When she handed out afternoon snacks, I took mine with trembling, reverent care, eating quietly in the corner like an abused animal.
My deliberate vulnerability worked. Her empathy deepened.
During her rounds, she began pausing longer at my bedside, asking softly:
"Mrs. Miller, how are you feeling today?"
I always answered with vague, timid mumbles, gazing up at her with eyes that were cloudy yet desperately clinging to her presence.
The iron was getting hot. But I was still missing the most crucial piece of the puzzle: evidence.
A supposed "lunatic's" word was worth nothing in the real world.
I needed cold, hard, indisputable proof that I was fully sane—and that Chloe and David had maliciously institutionalized me to hijack my life savings.
My opportunity arrived sooner than expected.The following afternoon, a patient suffered a massive emotional breakdown in the common room, wailing for their family.
Orderlies rushed in from all directions, creating total bedlam.
In the chaos, I slipped into a maintenance closet that was rarely used.
In the corner of a dusty locker, my fingers brushed against a tiny stub of a pencil.
Some visitor must have snuck it in for a relative, and a guard had tossed it aside during a search.
I immediately concealed it inside the split lining of my shoe sole—a blind spot for the cameras.
From that night onward, the moment the ward went silent, I hid under my rough woolen blanket. By the faint sliver of moonlight filtering through the reinforced window, I wrote everything down on torn strips of rough toilet paper.
The exact dates and times Chloe and David visited; every single threat they whispered in my ear.
Every unnecessary chemical restraint and brutal treatment Nurse Evans and her staff subjected me to.
I even sketched a detailed floor plan of the ward, marking camera locations and dead zones.
Every stroke was carved with blood, sweat, and tears. Every word was a silver bullet forged for those two monsters.
The paper was thin and fragile.
I rolled the finished notes into tightly compressed, thread-thin scrolls, worked them into the padded seams of my hospital gown, and stitched the fabric shut using loose threads pulled from my bedsheet.
My calloused fingers were clumsy, pricking myself repeatedly in the dark, but the memory of Chloe's sneer numbed every ounce of pain.
A month later, Chloe came back.
This time, she was alone, her face practically glowing with smug arrogance.
"Good news, old woman," she said, leaning over my cot.
"The asset transfer cleared probate court. That three hundred thousand is officially in my account."
I played my part, staring blankly at the water-stained ceiling.
"Don't worry, though," she continued, her tone patronizing. "David and I talked it over. You are my mother, after all. We aren't monsters."
"Once our permanent residency papers are finalized, we'll transfer you to a cheap public facility out in the sticks where you can rot away your final days."
She reached into her designer bag, pulling out a document and a pen, and shoved them against my chest.
"Sign this voluntary waiver of assets."
"The money is already mine, but having your signature on this formal quitclaim will prevent any pesky legal audits later."
I looked down at the dense legal document, then suddenly tilted my head back, offering her a wide, vacant grin.
"Chloe... go home..."
Chloe's face instantly hardened.
"Are you going to sign it or not?!" she hissed, her voice sharp with venom.
I slowly shook my head, pushing the paper away, continuing to giggle like an idiot.
"Fine. Have it your way," Chloe spat, trembling with fury as she snatched the paper back, her eyes murderous.
"You want to do this the hard way? Then die in this shithole!"
She whipped around to leave, nearly colliding with Maya Parker at the doorway.
"Ms. Miller," Maya greeted her politely. "Your mother seems quite calm today."
"Calm my ass!" Chloe snapped, storming off down the hall in her clicking heels.
Maya watched her leave with a furrowed brow, then stepped softly to my bed.
"Mrs. Miller, did your daughter..."
I lunged forward and seized her wrist.
My grip was ironclad. The vacant fog vanished from my eyes, replaced by a razor-sharp, terrifying clarity.
Maya gasped, trying to yank her hand back in shock.
"Don't be afraid," I whispered in clear, perfectly measured English, speaking directly into her ear.
"I am completely sane. My daughter framed me to steal my life's savings."
"I have meticulous proof sewn into the seams of my clothes. Please... you have to contact Arthur King, my attorney back in the States. Memorize his number..."
Maya's eyes widened in sheer disbelief.
I had only seconds before a nurse walked by.
I drilled my gaze into her soul, repeating each syllable with fierce intensity:
"Find Arthur King. Please. Save my life!"

Chapters (4)

Chapter 1   Chapter 2   Chapter 3   Chapter 4

Chapter 1

"Look at you, dressed like absolute white trash. You really came all the way to Australia just to humiliate me?" My daughter, Chloe, jabbed her manicured finger into my face, her features twisted with venom. The cashier's check in my trembling hand felt like burning lead. That piece of paper represented three hundred thousand dollars—the entirety of my life savings. It was the money I had scraped together after working twenty straight years behind the grill of a greasy diner, combined with selling my only house back home. I had come here to plead with her to come home to the States. David had a documented history of severe domestic violence, and I didn't want her whole life ruined. Instead of listening, she and David had called a high-end private psychiatric hospital, claiming I was suffering from extreme paranoid delusions. Ten minutes later, two burly orderlies had pinned me to a stretcher. They confiscated all my belongings, including my cashier's check, and forcibly hauled me away into that private asylum in Melbourne. Her gaze had been dripping with greed and contempt. "David promised me that the second he has this money, we're getting married." As they strapped me down onto the cold hospital bed, the brutal truth finally hit me. This was an ambush from the start. All they ever wanted was the three hundred thousand dollars in my pocket. I shut my eyes and went limp. What they didn't know was that in my tough life, there was one thing I did better than anyone else: Playing dumb. "Look at you, dressed like absolute white trash. You really came all the way to Australia just to humiliate me?" Chloe pointed straight at my nose, her pretty face contorted with rage. That designer coat she was wearing probably cost more than all the clothes I had worn in the last twenty years combined. My knuckles turned white as I gripped the cashier's check. This little slip of paper represented three hundred thousand dollars—the proceeds from selling my only home back in our small town, and the sweat and burns from twenty years of firing up the diner griddle at 3:00 a.m. I had endured a grueling twenty-hour flight across the globe to Melbourne. I hadn't come here to be spat on. "Chloe, David has a record for domestic abuse! Everyone knows what he did to his ex-wife!" "Are you really going to trap yourself with a monster just for a shortcut to an easy life?" My voice trembled, sounding more like a desperate plea than an accusation. "Come back home with me. We can use this money to get you a fresh start back in the States, buy a nice condo, anything you want." "Go back?" Chloe sneered, letting out a sharp, mocking laugh. "Back to that rotting, freezing dump of a town?" "Wake up, Mom! I'm on the verge of securing my permanent residency. I'm going to be a real Australian citizen!" "And you want me to throw that away?" She snatched the check straight out of my hands, her eyes gleaming with repulsive hunger. "David said as long as we have this money to secure our investment visa, my permanent residency will be rubber-stamped." "And as for the abuse? He hit his ex-wife, not me." "Besides, what real man doesn't have a bit of a temper?" My heart felt as if it were being crushed by an icy fist, suffocating me with sheer agony. The daughter I had raised all on my own for over two decades, my only child whom I treasured above my own life, was speaking to me like this. "You can't give him that money!" I lunged forward, trying to grab the check back. "Chloe, please listen to me! That man is walking poison—you're jumping straight into hell!" "That's enough!" A hulking figure stepped out from behind Chloe. It was David. With a brutal shove, he knocked me backward. My head slammed against the drywall, sending a white-hot burst of pain through my skull. David rattled off rapid-fire sentences to Chloe, his arrogant gaze raking dismissively over my worn, five-year-old winter jacket. Chloe's expression flickered several times. Finally, she took a deep breath, and a sickeningly sweet smile spread across her face. She walked over and helped me up, her voice suddenly dripping with fake warmth. "Mom, I'm so sorry. I lost my temper." "David is just worried about you. He thinks your mental state has really deteriorated lately." I stared at her warily. "What are you talking about?" "Look at you. You flew all this way, talking nonsense, screaming that David wants to kill me." Chloe stroked my back with gentle hands, but her eyes were completely dead. "The jet lag must be making you hallucinate. We really think you should go get checked out at a clinic." The blood in my veins turned to ice. I saw right through it. This wasn't a spontaneous argument. It was a calculated trap. They never wanted my advice. They only wanted the three hundred grand. "No! I'm completely fine!" I fought back, shoving her away. But David was already holding his phone to his ear. He barked a few words into the receiver, hung up, and shot me a chilling grin. Ten minutes later, a heavy knock echoed against the door. Two massive men in EMT uniforms stepped inside. Carrying restraints, they marched toward me without a shred of expression. "What are you doing?! Get your hands off me!" I screamed, looking at my daughter in sheer horror. "Chloe! I'm your mother! How could you do this to me?!" Chloe looked away, not daring to meet my eyes. "Officers, my mother suffers from severe paranoid schizophrenia and acute violent tendencies. Please, make sure she gets the intensive care she needs."

Chapter 2

My struggling was a joke against two heavy-set men. With practiced cruelty, they bound my arms and legs with thick leather restraints and dragged me out. The moment they shoved me into the back of the white medical van, I looked through the tinted window and saw Chloe taking the check from David's hands. They fell into each other's arms, their faces glowing with filthy relief. The heavy steel doors slammed shut, cutting off the world outside. Lying on the freezing floor, immobilized, tears spilled silently down my cheeks. I spent twenty years breaking my back over a hot stove just to raise a cold-blooded viper. I thought I had come to save my daughter. In reality, I was just a fool delivering a payday to her doorstep. St. Marian's Private Psychiatric Facility, Melbourne. It sounded like a quiet retreat, but in reality, it was an extortion racket—a living hell for the inconvenient. When the two orderlies dragged me out of the van, the stench of clinical bleach mingled with an underlying scent of mold and neglect hit me like a slap. The fluorescent hallways were blindingly white, echoing with faint, hollow weeping and incoherent muttering. I was hauled into a sterile office where an icy blonde woman introduced herself as Head Nurse Sarah Evans. She held an intake file bearing my daughter's signature. Under the diagnosis section, bold letters read: *Severe paranoid schizophrenia accompanied by violent, aggressive outbursts.* "Mrs. Miller," Nurse Evans said flatly, her eyes devoid of any human warmth. "Your daughter has prepaid for three months of intensive inpatient treatment. A total of fifty thousand dollars." "She specifically requested that you receive the 'most comprehensive' sedation therapy we provide." Fifty thousand dollars. Using my own sweat-and-blood money to lock me away in a cage, expecting me to rot in gratitude. What a wonderful daughter. "I am not sick! She framed me to steal my life savings!" I screamed with every ounce of air in my lungs, desperately trying to get through to her. Nurse Evans just offered a condescending smirk and snapped the folder shut. "Every patient in here claims they aren't sick, Mrs. Miller." She gestured to the guards. "Take her to Ward 3. Administer a high-dose sedative immediately. Let's get her calm." The orderlies grabbed my arms instantly. I fought back, but that only earned me rougher handling. The needle was freezing as it tore through my skin. A heavy, burning fluid rushed through my bloodstream. My eyelids weighed a thousand pounds. The room spun, and everything went black. They dumped me onto a concrete-hard cot in a room with a single window barricaded by welded steel mesh. When I woke up, a whole day had passed. I was forced to swallow a harsh legal reality: under Australian law, I was currently categorized as an incapacitated psychiatric patient. My legal guardian was my daughter, Chloe. She held the power of attorney over my care and my assets. Crying, arguing, and screaming were completely useless here; in fact, they would only serve as "proof" of my deteriorating mental health. I couldn't break down. And above all, I couldn't actually go crazy. If I lost my mind, those two monsters would win, and my life would truly be over. From that day on, I started playing dumb. Whenever the nurses brought medication, I swallowed it obediently—tucking the bitter pills beneath the root of my tongue, and spitting them down the drain the second I reached the restroom. During group therapy, I sat curled in the corner, staring blankly at the wall, giggling and mumbling incoherent words. My "docility" caused the nurses to drop their guard. Nurse Evans clearly wrote me off as a broken old woman whose mind had been hollowed out by sedatives. I began observing everything in secret. The layout of the ward, the security cameras' blind spots, the shift change schedules, and the behavioral patterns of the staff. Most patients were genuinely lost in their own minds. But there were one or two whose eyes held the same terrible clarity and silent desperation as mine. We never spoke. But in brief, passing glances, we exchanged an understanding that needed no words.

Chapter 3

One afternoon, Chloe and David showed up to visit. Dressed in immaculate clothes and carrying a fancy gift basket of fruit, they played the doting daughter and son-in-law for the ward staff. "Mom, are you feeling better?" Chloe sat on the edge of my mattress, taking my limp hand, wearing an expression of dutiful worry. I stared blankly into space, letting saliva pool at the corner of my mouth, whimpering brokenly: "Home... I want to go home..." David stood by the door, checking his luxury watch with visible impatience. The second the nurse stepped out to answer a page, Chloe's mask shattered. She leaned down right beside my ear, her voice a poisonous hiss: "Cut the act, you old hag. What's the PIN on that cashier's account?" "The bank won't release the full funds without your secondary verification code. You think playing retarded is going to keep that money from me?" I kept my eyes vacant, repeatedly babbling the same hollow plea: "Home... let's go home..." Chloe's face flushed with fury. She dug her sharp acrylic nails deep into my forearm, twisting the flesh. "You think staying quiet will save you?" "I already filed for emergency asset transfer as your legal guardian! In thirty days, that three hundred thousand will be legally mine!" "Let's see how stubborn you are then!" She shoved my arm away, leaving deep, purple crescent bruises on my pale skin. "David has already submitted our investor immigration paperwork with that capital. My residency will be granted in no time." "So just get comfortable here. We'll be sure to pay the minimum bill to keep you breathing." She straightened her coat, instantly putting on her mournful, innocent face again as she called toward the doorway: "Nurse, my mother seems to be getting agitated again. Please take extra care of her!" Nurse Evans stepped back in, glancing at the fresh bruises on my arm. She barely frowned before offering Chloe an accomplice's knowing smile. "Don't worry, Ms. Miller. We'll handle her." Watching their backs vanish down the hallway, I slowly lowered my head. Behind my vacant gaze burned a searing, molten hatred. Every single drop of this debt... I was going to collect it with compound interest. To claw my way out of this hellhole, sheer willpower wasn't enough. I needed a wedge. I needed someone who had access to the outside world. I had already zeroed in on my target. Her name was Maya Parker. She was a twenty-something social worker who came to the hospital twice a week to assist non-profit advocates and provide patient monitoring. Unlike the callous staff, Maya's eyes always held a flicker of discomfort and sorrow whenever she looked at me. She saw an elderly, helpless woman abandoned in a foreign country's asylum, and it broke her heart. I began intentionally dropping subtle breadcrumbs in front of her. Whenever orderlies roughly shoved pills toward me, I would look at Maya with sheer, quiet terror. When she handed out afternoon snacks, I took mine with trembling, reverent care, eating quietly in the corner like an abused animal. My deliberate vulnerability worked. Her empathy deepened. During her rounds, she began pausing longer at my bedside, asking softly: "Mrs. Miller, how are you feeling today?" I always answered with vague, timid mumbles, gazing up at her with eyes that were cloudy yet desperately clinging to her presence. The iron was getting hot. But I was still missing the most crucial piece of the puzzle: evidence. A supposed "lunatic's" word was worth nothing in the real world. I needed cold, hard, indisputable proof that I was fully sane—and that Chloe and David had maliciously institutionalized me to hijack my life savings. My opportunity arrived sooner than expected.

Chapter 4

The following afternoon, a patient suffered a massive emotional breakdown in the common room, wailing for their family. Orderlies rushed in from all directions, creating total bedlam. In the chaos, I slipped into a maintenance closet that was rarely used. In the corner of a dusty locker, my fingers brushed against a tiny stub of a pencil. Some visitor must have snuck it in for a relative, and a guard had tossed it aside during a search. I immediately concealed it inside the split lining of my shoe sole—a blind spot for the cameras. From that night onward, the moment the ward went silent, I hid under my rough woolen blanket. By the faint sliver of moonlight filtering through the reinforced window, I wrote everything down on torn strips of rough toilet paper. The exact dates and times Chloe and David visited; every single threat they whispered in my ear. Every unnecessary chemical restraint and brutal treatment Nurse Evans and her staff subjected me to. I even sketched a detailed floor plan of the ward, marking camera locations and dead zones. Every stroke was carved with blood, sweat, and tears. Every word was a silver bullet forged for those two monsters. The paper was thin and fragile. I rolled the finished notes into tightly compressed, thread-thin scrolls, worked them into the padded seams of my hospital gown, and stitched the fabric shut using loose threads pulled from my bedsheet. My calloused fingers were clumsy, pricking myself repeatedly in the dark, but the memory of Chloe's sneer numbed every ounce of pain. A month later, Chloe came back. This time, she was alone, her face practically glowing with smug arrogance. "Good news, old woman," she said, leaning over my cot. "The asset transfer cleared probate court. That three hundred thousand is officially in my account." I played my part, staring blankly at the water-stained ceiling. "Don't worry, though," she continued, her tone patronizing. "David and I talked it over. You are my mother, after all. We aren't monsters." "Once our permanent residency papers are finalized, we'll transfer you to a cheap public facility out in the sticks where you can rot away your final days." She reached into her designer bag, pulling out a document and a pen, and shoved them against my chest. "Sign this voluntary waiver of assets." "The money is already mine, but having your signature on this formal quitclaim will prevent any pesky legal audits later." I looked down at the dense legal document, then suddenly tilted my head back, offering her a wide, vacant grin. "Chloe... go home..." Chloe's face instantly hardened. "Are you going to sign it or not?!" she hissed, her voice sharp with venom. I slowly shook my head, pushing the paper away, continuing to giggle like an idiot. "Fine. Have it your way," Chloe spat, trembling with fury as she snatched the paper back, her eyes murderous. "You want to do this the hard way? Then die in this shithole!" She whipped around to leave, nearly colliding with Maya Parker at the doorway. "Ms. Miller," Maya greeted her politely. "Your mother seems quite calm today." "Calm my ass!" Chloe snapped, storming off down the hall in her clicking heels. Maya watched her leave with a furrowed brow, then stepped softly to my bed. "Mrs. Miller, did your daughter..." I lunged forward and seized her wrist. My grip was ironclad. The vacant fog vanished from my eyes, replaced by a razor-sharp, terrifying clarity. Maya gasped, trying to yank her hand back in shock. "Don't be afraid," I whispered in clear, perfectly measured English, speaking directly into her ear. "I am completely sane. My daughter framed me to steal my life's savings." "I have meticulous proof sewn into the seams of my clothes. Please... you have to contact Arthur King, my attorney back in the States. Memorize his number..." Maya's eyes widened in sheer disbelief. I had only seconds before a nurse walked by. I drilled my gaze into her soul, repeating each syllable with fierce intensity: "Find Arthur King. Please. Save my life!"

Watch & Promotions

About this novel