ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

Twin Memory Swap

MotoNovel · English · Theater: MotoNovel, Lang: English ·

Twin Memory Swap

Theater: MotoNovel  |  Language: English

Synopsis

My parents pitied my cognitively disabled twin Tina, so they secretly swapped our memories. My research papers became hers, my restored antiques hers. Tina basked as the city’s celebrated prodigy while I was stripped of intellect, reduced to a babbling idiot. They patted my head, cooing, “Even if you are a dummy, we love you.”
That lie held until Tina accidentally burned a priceless tapestry at the museum. Facing millions in damages and decades in prison, they dragged me to the clinic. “Take her memory of the arson and implant it into Sophie. Let her rot. Don’t ruin Tina’s future.”
The procedure was flawless. Under intense neural rewriting, even Supreme Court lie detectors couldn’t detect a glitch. As freezing electrodes pressed to my temples, I saw my parents’ eyes brimming with worry, but only for Tina. The truth pierced my fog: they only ever loved her. But this implanted memory would become the weapon that sent them straight to hell.
...

Chapters (1)

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

1 My parents pitied my cognitively disabled twin Tina, so they secretly swapped our memories. My research papers became hers, my restored antiques hers. Tina basked as the city’s celebrated prodigy while I was stripped of intellect, reduced to a babbling idiot. They patted my head, cooing, “Even if you are a dummy, we love you.” That lie held until Tina accidentally burned a priceless tapestry at the museum. Facing millions in damages and decades in prison, they dragged me to the clinic. “Take her memory of the arson and implant it into Sophie. Let her rot. Don’t ruin Tina’s future.” The procedure was flawless. Under intense neural rewriting, even Supreme Court lie detectors couldn’t detect a glitch. As freezing electrodes pressed to my temples, I saw my parents’ eyes brimming with worry, but only for Tina. The truth pierced my fog: they only ever loved her. But this implanted memory would become the weapon that sent them straight to hell. ... "Mom, are you guys being serious right now? You want me to go to jail for Tina?" I stared at the woman in front of me in pure disbelief. The unconditional love she had just promised me crumbled like wet paper. Faced with my questioning, a flash of annoyance crossed my mother's face. She impatiently waved her hand, signaling the orderlies to pin me down. "Who let you out of your room. Whatever, this saves me the trouble of tricking you into coming down here." "This is about our family's survival. Your sister is absolutely not going to prison." I was shoved onto the cold steel operating table. Heavy leather straps buckled around my wrists and ankles. I could only watch in horror as the technicians prepped the neural override machines. Just mentioning Tina made my mother tear up. She turned to my father to complain. "Tina is already pitiful enough with her condition. As the older sister, Sophie should be begging to take the fall. Instead, she has the nerve to talk back to me. I raised an ungrateful brat." "Stop crying Martha," my dad soothed her. "Once the memory swap is done, all evidence of Tina doing it will be wiped clean. She will be perfectly fine." A piercing, agonizing pain drilled through my skull. My vision whited out. The last thing I saw was the immense satisfaction in my mother's eyes. It was a look that stung more than the needles in my scalp. In all my life, I had never seen her look at me with such absolute approval. The roaring flames from the museum erupted deep within my mind. I stood shivering in the middle of our living room, tears spilling out of my eyes uncontrollably. My mother glared at me, her voice dripping with disgust. "Sophie Davis, do you have any idea how much I have sacrificed to raise you? And how do you repay me?" "You burn down a national treasure. You drag your sister's name through the mud and get her slammed by the press. You made this mess, so you are going to take the punishment." I stared at her blankly. My heart hammered against my ribs like a trapped bird. A tiny voice in my head screamed that this was wrong. But under my mother's disappointed glare, my body just nodded mechanically. I asked her in a childish, broken voice. "Mom, am I going to jail? Can I eat seafood then?" Every time Tina won an award, Mom would order a massive seafood feast. Huge Boston lobsters, fresh oysters, the works. But she never let me have a single bite. She always said it was Tina's special day and I had already eaten enough junk food. I was not allowed to steal my sister's thunder. But I had no memories of my own left. I literally did not know what seafood tasted like. Going to prison sounded like a big deal. I figured it was finally my turn to celebrate. Seeing the genuine yearning in my eyes, my mother froze for a second. She turned around, walked into the kitchen, and brought out a plate of rotting, foul smelling raw oysters. My dad frowned. "Isn't that Tina's leftovers from last week? It is completely spoiled. She can't eat that." "This is the seafood she has been begging for," my mother replied coldly. Like a starved animal, I grabbed the slimy meat and shoved it into my mouth. It was putrid. Bitter. Disgusting. It tasted absolutely nothing like the delicacy I had imagined. Seeing me slow down, my mother scowled and snapped at me. "You are the one who wanted it. You finally have the guts to demand your sister's food, so you better lick that plate clean." "Or you will never eat another meal in this house again." Terrified, I choked down the rest of the rotting sludge. The vile stench made me gag violently. I swallowed the bile rising in my throat and forced a pathetic, eager smile for my mother. Neither of them cared that halfway to the police station, my breathing turned into ragged wheezes. Angry red hives exploded across my neck and arms. The itching was absolute torture. I opened my mouth to beg for help. My mother grabbed my collar and shoved me out of the parked car onto the concrete. She looked at my thrashing body with pure revulsion. "Are you done putting on a show?" "You know you have a severe seafood allergy and you still shoveled it down. You just love making our lives a living hell. Do you have any idea how much trouble your little arson stunt has caused Tina?" "You have been a burden for twenty years. We are sick of tolerating you." I sat paralyzed on the pavement, gasping for air. "I am sorry Mom. I didn't know." Mom was mad. I ruined things for Tina. I needed to apologize. "I am sorry Tina. I shouldn't have started the fire." I messed around at the museum. I burned the tapestry. It was all my fault. I shouldn't have gone to the exhibit. But wait. Why was I at the museum on Tina's birthday. I was never allowed to leave the house on her birthday. The conflicting memories began tearing my brain apart. I clutched my head, crying and babbling apologies to no one. My screams drew a crowd. A few relatives of the people injured in the museum fire recognized me. Their faces twisted with rage as they swarmed me. They cursed at me, spitting venom, venting all their grief and fury on my fragile body. I looked up helplessly at my mother standing by the car. But all I saw in her eyes was relief. She was glad I was the one taking the hits. I tried to crawl toward her, but the angry mob blocked my path. My struggling only made them madder. Someone shoved me hard. I fell backward, and my skull cracked violently against a sharp fire hydrant. The physical trauma acted like a sledgehammer to the mental barricades. The locked memories flooded my brain like a broken dam. Blood pooled on the gray pavement. The crowd stepped back in panic. "Oh my god, she is bleeding. Is she going to die? Someone call an ambulance." "Relax. She is a total psycho. She is way tougher than her genius sister. She won't die." My mother remained rooted to her spot, watching me bleed out with the cold detachment of a bystander. Blood dripped down my face, mixing with my tears. While I was being beaten and humiliated, her first instinct was not to protect me, but to celebrate that her plan was working. She did not love me. Not even a fraction. When I opened my eyes again, the hospital room was dead quiet. The violent blow to my head had somehow realigned my fractured neural pathways. Everything was crystal clear now. The groundbreaking thesis that earned Tina her Ivy League spot was written by me. I spent three months running on black coffee to finish it. The shiny trophies lining Tina's bedroom shelf were bought with my deteriorating eyesight and endless nights of studying. Simply because Tina was born slow and needed extra padding in life, my sweat and tears became the stepping stones my parents casually placed under her feet. My chest hurt so much I could not breathe. Tears streamed down my face in absolute silence. I scared the hell out of the nurse walking in. My mother followed right behind her. Seeing my tears, her face darkened instantly. She pointed a manicured finger at me and started screaming. "You have some nerve crying." "If your little arson scandal hadn't blown up on the news, Tina wouldn't have been harassed by reporters today. Get your ass out of that bed and pack your things. We are leaving." The stitches on my scalp throbbed with a dull ache, but I suddenly lost the energy to argue. When I was seven, a pot of boiling water spilled on me. My entire back was covered in hideous burns. But my parents cared more about Tina twisting her ankle on the stairs. They said Tina was a fragile genius. She needed to be pampered. I was just the family idiot. A few scars on my back didn't matter. I looked at my mother, who was currently stressed out of her mind over Tina, and asked her in a raspy voice. "Mom. Why did I leave the house on the day of the fire?" She froze. A flicker of guilt crossed her eyes. "How should I know? If you hadn't sneaked out like a maniac, our family wouldn't be dealing with this nightmare." Ice water ran through my veins. I stared her dead in the eye and spoke slowly. "But that day was Tina's birthday. You and Dad strictly forbade me from ever stepping outside on her birthday. You said letting the neighbors see my face would embarrass her." Under my mother's expanding pupils, I continued. "Tina has already stolen my entire life. Is it still not enough?" A stinging slap landed squarely on my cheek, leaving my ear ringing. The nurse had already slipped out. My mother glared at me with absolute righteous indignation. "That is your sister's life. I know you are bitter." "But Tina is the recognized prodigy now. She cannot go to jail. You are the older sister. Throwing yourself on the sword for her is your duty." "I already paid people to wipe the security footage of Tina starting the fire. Sophie, do not make this harder than it has to be. You are taking the fall for this, whether you like it or not." I sat on the sterile hospital bed, laughing and crying like a maniac. I was grieving for myself. How could a mother be this biased. To protect one daughter, she was willing to bury the other alive. She looked at me with a complicated expression. "I already called the precinct and told them you are ready to confess. They will be here any minute. Be a good girl, Sophie." "Your father and I will be waiting for you when you get out." The door swung open just as she finished her sentence. Four uniformed officers walked in with handcuffs. I looked at my mother in horror and started screaming. "I didn't do it. It wasn't me." She completely cut off the officers' hesitation. "She is the one who did it, officers. Please make sure you interrogate her thoroughly." Thanks to my parents' enthusiastic cooperation, I was subjected to grueling interrogations for days. Under the extreme psychological pressure, my newly restored memories clashed violently with the implanted ones. My brain short-circuited. I started speaking in pure gibberish. The lead detective couldn't bear to watch it anymore. Soon after, the police knocked on my family's front door with a medical envelope. "Based on our psychiatric evaluations, Sophie Davis is suffering from severe trauma induced psychosis. We cannot proceed with a standard interrogation." "If you can provide proof of a pre existing mental condition, the judge can commute her sentence to a medical facility." I stared blankly at the scene playing out in my living room. A tiny spark of hope flickered in my chest, only to be ruthlessly extinguished by a firm voice. "We do not have any medical records. Please punish Sophie according to the maximum extent of the law." My mother stood there. The smile on her face was as warm as a spring breeze, yet it drove a spike of solid ice right through my heart. She glanced at me coldly. "If a standard interrogation won't work, then put her on the Neural Tribunal." The detective was stunned. He asked her to repeat herself. "Are you absolutely sure, ma'am? The Neural Tribunal extracts memories by force. The brain damage is completely irreversible. It often leads to permanent vegetative states." My mother waved him off like he was bothering her with trivia. "It is fine. She has always been resilient. We have to give the angry public the truth, right?" As the police left, the detective gave me a look of profound pity. I suddenly wanted to burst out laughing. Of course she wasn't worried. The memories of the fire were sitting right inside my brain, and Tina's tracks were perfectly covered. She was cutting off every single escape route I had. Memories truly do not lie. I let a tear slip down my cheek. I only hoped that when the truth finally came out, my parents would be able to pay the price. The Neural Tribunal was scheduled three days later. I was released on bail and followed my mother back home. The house was filled with joyous laughter, which died the second I stepped through the door. Tina was sitting at the dining table, eating premium crab legs that my dad was carefully shelling for her. My mother caught me staring at the food and smirked. "You want some? Just plead guilty on that stand, and I will buy you all the crab you want." I felt like I was five years old again. I had simply asked Dad to pass me a piece of braised beef. Instead, I got a thirty minute screaming lecture. They called me greedy, spoiled, and completely selfish. They made me grovel and apologize before I was allowed to eat plain rice. But Tina could demand the moon and never pay a dime. The disgust on my mother's face vanished the second she looked back at Tina. It was replaced by pure, unfiltered adoration. Tina threw her fork on the table and started whining loudly. "Why is she back. Do you guys not love me anymore. Are you trying to send me to jail." Because of one tiny tantrum, both my parents rushed over to coddle her. My dad pushed a mountain of sweet crab meat in front of her and patted his chest. "Daddy loves you the most, sweetheart. Stop crying. Once this blows over, Daddy will go buy you that Porsche you wanted, okay?" My mom quickly chimed in. "Mommy loves you too. If you are stressed out, I will take a month off work and we can go vacation in Paris. How does that sound?" I stood frozen in the hallway like an unwanted trespasser. Tina could shed two fake tears and get a hundred thousand dollar sports car. When I was sixteen, I asked for a five dollar ice cream and got called a financial leech. My mother, who always claimed she was too busy to talk to me for even one minute, was suddenly ready to drop everything for a month in Paris. I thought my heart was entirely numb to their blatant favoritism. But it still felt like it was being fed through a meat grinder. Hearing their promises, Tina finally gave a condescending nod. She glared at me. "Get her out of my sight." Because of that one sentence, my mother grabbed me by the hair and dragged me into the basement storage room. Right as she was closing the heavy metal door, I begged her. "Mom, I am sorry. Please do not lock me in here, please." Absolute pitch black darkness swallowed the room. My body began to violently tremble. A suffocating wave of pure panic crushed my lungs. I slammed my fists against the door, screaming at the top of my lungs. My mother's voice filtered through the steel, cold and utterly devoid of empathy. "Stop acting crazy. Sit in there and think about what you did. Do not ruin your sister's mood." It felt like I was going to cry out every drop of blood in my body. Because Tina was born with severe nyctophobia and fear of the dark, they had doctors extract that fear and dump it into my brain when I was only three years old. I was so young that the trauma multiplied a hundredfold. They were the ones who gave me this crippling phobia. But they conveniently forgot about it, treating my terror as a nuisance. I screamed and scratched at the walls in the dark until my throat bled, but no one came. Faint sounds of a comedy show playing on the upstairs TV drifted down to the basement. I curled into a ball, my mind flashing through the last twenty five years of hell. Because of the constant memory swaps, my life was entirely fractured. One second, I was weeping tears of joy over a breakthrough in genetic sequencing. The next second, my brain would be wiped clean, and I would become a drooling idiot who forgot how to use a fork. I survived in a fog, stuffed full of memories that did not belong to me, until I couldn't even tell who I was anymore. But a vessel can only hold so much trash before it breaks. During those years of induced idiocy, I endured the abuse of hired nurses, the cold violence of my parents, and the mockery of our entire neighborhood. I was obsessed with seafood because of a memory that wasn't mine. But eating it meant actual death. Every tragedy in my life was orchestrated by the two people who brought me into this world. Just as my consciousness began to fade, a bucket of freezing ice water was dumped over my head. "Time is up. Stop playing dead. We have a trial to get to." The icy water dripped down my eyelashes, splashing onto the concrete floor. I couldn't tell the difference between the water and my tears. I looked up at her, my voice completely hollow. "Why do you treat me like this." My mother froze. A brief flash of panic crossed her eyes. But a second later, she squared her shoulders and looked at me with righteous fury. "Are you blaming me?" "Sophie, I put a roof over your head and food in your stomach. Without me, you would have died in a gutter. What right do you have to judge me?" "I raised you for twenty five years, and you do not have an ounce of gratitude in your body." Gratitude. I was supposed to be grateful. Grateful that she hollowed out my brain for twenty five years. Grateful that she ruined my future. Grateful for the endless emotional torture. It was beyond absurd. I remained dead silent as they shoved me into the car. I didn't snap out of it until we arrived at the steps of the Federal Neural Tribunal. A massive crowd of protesters and journalists had already swarmed the plaza. The moment I stepped out, cameras flashed like strobe lights, and microphones were shoved into my face. "Sophie. Do you feel any remorse for destroying a piece of national history." "Your sister Tina is a literal genius and a charity ambassador. Why did you turn out to be a sociopath? Are you jealous of her?" "We heard you were raised by your grandmother when you were young. Did her toxic parenting make you like this?" Hearing my grandmother mentioned, a surge of pure rage ignited in my chest. I opened my mouth to yell back, but Tina's soft, victimized voice echoed from behind me. "Maybe that is the case. I grew up in the city with Mom, receiving proper tutoring. But Sophie... she spent too much time in the countryside. I guess she picked up some bad habits." I turned around, staring in disbelief at the monster wearing my face. She was smiling smugly for the cameras, and even turned to look at our mother, who gave her an encouraging nod. It was true. I was raised by my Nana when I was a toddler. In this entire mess of fake and stolen memories, the warmth of my grandmother was the only real thing I had left. When my intellect started fluctuating wildly, Nana was the only one who didn't abandon me. She constantly took me to different clinics, begging for answers. And for that, Tina endlessly framed her, pulled cruel pranks on her, and accused her of abuse. Eventually, my dad used it as an excuse to lock Nana away in a miserable nursing home. I lunged forward, wanting to grab Tina by the throat and demand to know why she was dragging Nana into this. But my mother stepped in, shoving me back with brutal force. A sharp slap cracked across my face. She looked at me with absolute loathing. "What is wrong with you." "We are in front of the whole country, and you are still trying to bully your sister." Tina cowered behind our mother perfectly, but her eyes locked onto mine, shining with vicious delight. "Is my sister mad because I mentioned Grandma?" "But Sophie, if you actually cared about her, why didn't you even show up to her funeral?" "Besides, Grandma died because of you." I froze. A freezing, venomous dread wrapped around my spine. "Because of me...?" "Yeah," Tina nodded innocently, projecting her voice for the microphones. "Grandma saw the news about you burning down the museum. It gave her a massive heart attack. She died in the hospital, completely alone. It is all your fault." I looked at my mother in sheer horror. Despair crashed over me like a tidal wave. Violent, heavy tears poured out of my eyes. I cried until the capillaries in my eyes burst, bleeding crimson tears down my cheeks. Like a dying riverbed bleeding out its last drop of mud. My teeth chattered uncontrollably. I threw myself at my mother, screaming like a wounded animal. "Why didn't you tell me. You knew the truth. Why didn't you tell her it wasn't me." She was the only person in this godforsaken world who actually loved me. And she died thinking I was a monster. I am so sorry, Nana. I am so sorry. The outraged crowd began throwing garbage and half full coffee cups at me. Two massive court bailiffs grabbed my arms and dragged me up to the transparent Tribunal stage. The sour stench of spilled coffee soaked my clothes, but I didn't care. I just kept my eyes locked onto the mother and daughter standing in the front row. The neural extractors were clamped onto my skull. A massive surge of electricity ripped through my nervous system. Total paralysis hit instantly. My organs felt like they were being roasted on an open fire. My head felt like it was going to split open. But the physical agony was nothing compared to the gaping hole in my chest. Down in the audience, Tina was smiling brightly, looking like a total winner. Until the colossal holographic screen suspended above the courtroom suddenly flickered to life. Tina's smile died instantly.

Watch & Promotions

About this novel